9 Year Old Girl Kills Gun Range Instructor

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » 9 year old girl kills gun range instructor
9 year old girl kills gun range instructor
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Bahamut.Shirai said: »
And I'm sitting here still wondering why a loaded Uzi was given to a 9 year old.
I don't give a rats' arse about the kid having succesfully fired one before, I do not care that the law sais that it is ok, my mind just can't make any sense of it.

One of the main reasons for going to a shooting range is to ensure people can practice using their guns safely, giving a loaded automatic weapon to a 9 year old child is anything but safe.
No matter the conditions.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I know of people that go hunting as early as 6 or 7, and that's even more dangerous conditions than a range.
Going hunting with a bolt action or semi-automatic rifle, or a shotgun, is significantly different proposition than a semi-automatic/full-automatic pistol/submachinegun.

This was tragic, stupid, unsafe, and a bad call by the instructor.

No, no it isn't.
Yes, yes it is. Single shot per action weapons are *generally* safer, as it is harder/not possible to shoot again if control is lost after the first shot.
Long guns are generally easier to control than pistols/submachine guns, both due to lever arm advantages and greater mass.

They're both deadly, if you're going to let them use one, it doesn't matter which.
By volkom 2014-08-27 13:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

we need to go back to swords/shields/axes/spears/bows/arrows/othermedievalarmsandweaponry
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
we need to go back to swords/shields/axes/spears/bows/arrows/othermedievalarmsandweaponry

I'm going to give my kid a flail, kids love flails.
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2014-08-27 13:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
It's times like this that I lose faith in humanity and continue down Nik's path of total destruction of the Earth.
I hope it never comes to it, I love my life and my fewllow man too much for it.
But I do think a giant meteor impact or a supervolcano erupting would be a good thing.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-27 13:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Way ahead of you there!
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-08-27 13:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

And I'm sitting here still wondering why a loaded Uzi was given to a 9 year old.
I don't give a rats' arse about the kid having succesfully fired one before, I do not care that the law sais that it is ok, my mind just can't make any sense of it.

One of the main reasons for going to a shooting range is to ensure people can practice using their guns safely, giving a loaded automatic weapon to a 9 year old child is anything but safe.

I know of people that go hunting as early as 6 or 7, and that's even more dangerous conditions than a range.
Going hunting with a bolt action or semi-automatic rifle, or a shotgun, is significantly different proposition than a semi-automatic/full-automatic pistol/submachinegun.

No, no it isn't.
Yes, yes it is. Single shot per action weapons are *generally* safer, as it is harder/not possible to shoot again if control is lost after the first shot.
Long guns are generally easier to control than pistols/submachine guns, both due to lever arm advantages and greater mass.

They're both deadly, if you're going to let them use one, it doesn't matter which.
Seriously? Well *** it then, give them a nuke. It's deadly too.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-27 13:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

No, no it isn't.

Actually it is different.

The potential collateral threat level of an automatic weapon is higher, on factors of around 10-20 depending on RoF. Additionally, weapons that can bring the business end to bear more quickly have a bit of volatility to them. It's typically harder to control a machine pistol than it is even a long automatic rifle. (your AR's and whatnot)

Collateral threat is the danger posed to unintended targets in a period of time. As you are able to project more cycles of "Threat" in a shorter amount of time, the category is raised.

Automatic weapons have a mitigated collateral threat level because the danger area is isolated to the area in front of the muzzle (Which can of course change rapidly as someone recently found out) but compared to say, a Pipe bomb that indiscriminately hurls shrapnel and the resulting blast wave.... That's why explosives (no matter how small) tend to cause a lot of panic.

And then at the end of the spectrum you start getting into Mass Destruction category, and at the lowest threat you have Melee-range weapons which have little to no collateral threat.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Apples:oranges.

#Zic: irrelevant.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-27 13:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's times like this that I lose faith in humanity and continue down Nik's path of total destruction of the Earth.
But I do think a giant meteor impact or a supervolcano erupting would be a good thing.
The latter part of your post completely contradcits the former.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-08-27 13:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

9 year old girl accidentally kills self with morning star - news at 11.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-27 13:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, well anything that doesn't support your internal narrative you consider irrelevant. You're like a walking confirmation bias.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

Yeah, well anything that doesn't support your internal narrative you consider irrelevant. You're like a walking confirmation bias.
nope, it's irrelevant because it is.

If you're going to hand somebody a gun, it doesn't matter which one.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
To those saying the presented article isn't a sign of a problem, it actually is a sign of a problem, and those that think there's no problem at all are only exacerbating said problem.
Know what that problem is? The borderline ignorance and arrogance of the gun culture in the United States. It's ignorance to place a loaded Uzi set to full auto in the hands of a small child. It's arrogance to think that the stupidity of the instructor as well as the girl's parents in allowing that to happen is somehow a good idea.
If they had wanted her to learn how to safely handle a gun, a small revolver or .22 caliber single shot rifle would've served the exact same purpose with less chances for an accident of any kind to occur. The gun should have been bolted down to some kind of structure so in case the girl did lose control, she could've just let go of the weapon. The instructor should have been behind the child, out of the line of fire.
But you know what? The gun wasn't bolted to anything. It wasn't a single shot or set to semi-auto. He picked a bad spot to stand. Both the parents, as well as the instructor, saw nothing wrong with the whole situation. There's actually plenty to be found wrong. Both ignorance, and arrogance.
Granted, the instructor already paid for his stupidity with his life. Granted, Bullets and Burgers should more than likely rethink their policies now. One more thing should happen. Namely, the girl's parents should lose custody of her. She should be made a ward of the state and placed in a home with a more responsible upbringing.

No the problem is anti-gun crowd: like you.

The only ignorance here is presented by you and your ilk.

@the losing custody crack: how about you call them and tell them that, they'll probably laugh in your face or tell you to promptly go to hell.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 13:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

To those saying the presented article isn't a sign of a problem, it actually is a sign of a problem, and those that think there's no problem at all are only exacerbating said problem.
Know what that problem is? The borderline ignorance and arrogance of the gun culture in the United States. It's ignorance to place a loaded Uzi set to full auto in the hands of a small child. It's arrogance to think that the stupidity of the instructor as well as the girl's parents in allowing that to happen is somehow a good idea.
If they had wanted her to learn how to safely handle a gun, a small revolver or .22 caliber single shot rifle would've served the exact same purpose with less chances for an accident of any kind to occur. The gun should have been bolted down to some kind of structure so in case the girl did lose control, she could've just let go of the weapon. The instructor should have been behind the child, out of the line of fire.
But you know what? The gun wasn't bolted to anything. It wasn't a single shot or set to semi-auto. He picked a bad spot to stand. Both the parents, as well as the instructor, saw nothing wrong with the whole situation. There's actually plenty to be found wrong. Both ignorance, and arrogance.
Granted, the instructor already paid for his stupidity with his life. Granted, Bullets and Burgers should more than likely rethink their policies now. One more thing should happen. Namely, the girl's parents should lose custody of her. She should be made a ward of the state and placed in a home with a more responsible upbringing.

What is really troublesome is the lack of paragraph breaks.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-27 13:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I just explained why it does matter. By your logic, there's no difference between a 2000lb guided bomb and a 2MGTN Thermonuclear bomb.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-08-27 13:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

One more thing should happen. Namely, the girl's parents should lose custody of her. She should be made a ward of the state and placed in a home with a more responsible upbringing.

The poor girl has just had her young life turned upside down by an accident outside of her control. Now you want to screw up her life more?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just explained why it does matter. By your logic, there's no difference between a 2000lb guided bomb and a 2MGTN Thermonuclear bomb.

You didn't though, you explained why you think it matters, when it really doesn't.

Also: false equivalence.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-27 13:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Really can't see the difference? If you have a small and weak arm that is going to have low control on the weapon by default one thing is to shoot once, another is if it keeps firing.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Really can't see the difference? If you have a small and weak arm that is going to have low control on the weapon by default one thing is to shoot once, another is if it keeps firing.
Doesn't matter, and it doesn't keep firing if you let go of the trigger. Also: if somebody's arm is that weak: then they shouldn't be firing either one.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-27 13:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently it does since the inability of the kid to keep it steady is what caused a person to die.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Apparently it does since the inability of the kid to keep it steady is what caused a person to die.

/sigh
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-27 13:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You didn't though, you explained why you think it matters, when it really doesn't.

Also: false equivalence.

Uh, not false equivalence Gun = Gun, Bomb = Bomb. You're just being dense because I've got you in a corner with facts that don't support your opinion.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-27 13:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
One more thing should happen. Namely, the girl's parents should lose custody of her. She should be made a ward of the state and placed in a home with a more responsible upbringing.

The poor girl has just had her young life turned upside down by an accident outside of her control. Now you want to screw up her life more?
He just gets emotional when he hears the word gun and starts spouting off nonsense.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 13:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame GTA I bet that girl was playing it right before she shot him.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 13:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it's a false equivalence because a nuclear device isn't comparable to a regular bomb.

But considering of those who are allowed to use them, let's just say sure.

They year 3014: 9 year old blows up earth by misfiring a nuclear bomb.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-08-27 13:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

To answer the question: weapons don't belong in the hands of kids.

Responses by NRA:
-the girl's training shoukd have started earlier at the age of 5 so she is well trained at 9
-the killing of the man could have been prevented if the parents had pointed their guns at the daughter in case she messes up

(Probably)
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-27 14:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

We need to have a clean slate.

My current plan is to release an Alzheimer's curing virus to the human population that kills all humans, but makes monkeys and apes smarter and more adaptable to the environment.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13