9 Year Old Girl Kills Gun Range Instructor

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » 9 year old girl kills gun range instructor
9 year old girl kills gun range instructor
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 11:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

They'd have to prove negligence, and since they have it on video, pretty much not going to happen.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-08-27 11:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
As far as the topic, there's not much left to discuss.

Tragic accident that could have been avoided. Live and learn. Probably deal with a law suit or two.

Life goes on.
There will not be a lawsuit, as the parents signed a waiver beforehand not to hold the company and owners liable for any mistakes.

What about the family of the instructor?

Or the family of the girl filing against the estate of the instructor?

But really. I think we all know how much liability clauses hold up.

I'm not saying they'd be successful suits or that they should be filed, but I think they're in the realm of possibility. We live in a litigious society.
The instructor would have more than likely signed the same waiver prior or during employment.

The girl's family would have no real basis on said lawsuit, unless they can prove that the instructor was being irresponsible and, against the wishes of the parents, still instructed and allowed the girl to fire the gun in automatic mode.

If they do file a suit, it would be highly unlikely they would win. Unless they have a jury of 7+ anti-gun nuts on a jury, in which case the defendant lawyer is incompetent to say the least.

I suppose it'd be a bad time for the business to sue the girls' family for loss of income, since she kinda took out their instructor.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 11:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
So moral of the story is don't let individuals with little gun experience handle full automatic weapons?
I still question whether it was actually fully auto, it seems a local paper put that out, and everyone is running with it.

For starters: it's a severe waste of ammo.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-27 11:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
So moral of the story is don't let individuals with little gun experience handle full automatic weapons?
I still question whether it was actually fully auto, it seems a local paper put that out, and everyone is running with it.

It's a gun range, all shots are a waste of ammo.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-27 11:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

And posting on Forums is a severe waste of time. Yet here we are.
[+]
By volkom 2014-08-27 11:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

that depends if you're shooting for the heck of it
or actually trying to improve your aim
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-27 11:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I learned that the terrorists won. If we can't teach our children to use the weapons of war or shoot an Uzi gangsta style, what can we teach them? The instructor was clearly in league with Obama and the Democrats to slander freedom in the name of security. He's probably not even dead.

I'm disgusted to be an American. We didn't dump tea into the sea for this.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 11:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

waste =/= severe waste :P
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-27 11:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering the same, but I know there are those ranges that have all the special permitting & such then have you pay extra money to be able to try out various fully auto weapons. the one I heard of was outside of vegas.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-27 11:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Ok, so it seems we have an even mixed-bag here. We have people saying it was irresponsible for the range instructor to give the weapon to the girl, the parents being irresponsible for allowing her to handle such a weapon, pro-gun rights nimrods saying the best way to learn safety is to use, and the standard type of derailing all going on at once.

Gotta disagree there. You dont just hand someone a weapon without knowing anything. Its a lot like car, its a machine/tool that used incorrectly can kill. And in order to operate a car legally, you have to have a written/mental knowledge base before you are allowed to set foot behind a wheel, and even then it is supervised until its proven that you know what you are doing and can handle it. Learning to fire a weapon for the first time should be the same way. You need you base knowledge first. Only after that do you pick one up, and for a child, supervised! And much like you dont let a teens first driving experience be a tractor trailer, you dont give a 9yo a full auto uzi.

Yet, one thing being overlooked in all of this: The firing range itself. Bullets and Burgers. Should they change their operation procedures in light of this event? Maybe restrict the handling of firearms on their premises to 15 years or older only? Should they lose their license to operate their business and be forced to close?
Should they foot the bill for the girl's now needed psychiatric care, since essentially it happened on their property, with their provided firearms and instructor's mishap?

Changing policy for age wont fix anything. (as is usually the case with ban/restriction arguments) The instructor wasn't killed because the girl was 9. He was killed because the child was not physically able to handle the weapon. While there is a generalized correlation in age/growth it is by no means absolute. Ive seen many an adults 20-30-40-50 years old that are unable to physically handle weapons. The same exact thing could have happened with anyone of any age that could not handle the weapon. Restricting age only give the illusion of security and safety.

As for the ranges liability, that one is highly debatable. And im not sure that's states legalities on it. The instructor should have damn well known not to give a kid that kind of weapon. On the other hand it seemed to be within the rules for him to do so. And the parents apparently had no problem with this. He might be an instructor, but the parents have the final say as to what the kid can and cant use. So that can be argued a number of ways. Personally, id have told them the kid aint allowed to use that kind of weapon. Id rather risk my job then someones life.

This is what gets to me about the idiots that thump their chest and scream "shall not be infringed". When one of their own does something outright stupid, they don't take a step back, take a look at their own behavior, and attempt to reevaluate how they do things to avoid it happening again. Too much "but muh freedoms", not enough sense of personal responsibility going on there.

Because one is responsible for all? I can say our right shall not be infringed... doesn't make me responsible for two idiotic parents that did something incredibly dangerous. You said yourself, "personal responsibility" you cant have personal responsibility count for everyone... its personal.
Now as much as i wish we could outlaw stupidity, it sadly cant happen.

As for myself, my own grandfather fought for our country during WWII. He made damn sure I never touched a weapon, even lightly as a joke with a plastic Halloween prop, without understanding the full consequences of what carrying or using a weapon meant. "Never draw a sword, or aim a gun, at something you don't intend to kill", were his exact words.

One of the smartest things said on here. You never joke around with lethal weapons, and you never aim them at a life in jest.

He was also thoroughly against civilians owning full-auto weapons such as Uzis.

Being in that kind of a war zone and witnessing the horrors of the nazis first hand, i can understand his standpoint. Tho i do find it a bit ironic. Seeing as the nazi actually did ban civilians from owning guns. And as they came to power/were in power, prevented german civilians from being able to defend themselves against their government. (Or course if your grandfathers argument was strictly targeting full autos, and not weapons in general, then that thought would be nullified.)
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-27 11:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Gotta be honest.
I get *** sick of the food snobs.

you get sick of everything ramy, sick of altima global warming, sick of food snobs... I j'accuse you of being french!

To buck the trend of denying it and arguing semantics, to use one of KN's favorite phrases, I'm probably just projecting.

Not in the greatest of moods in the real world.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2014-08-27 11:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Don't forget to let your kids try out bazookas too, you know for safety knowledge in case they have to take down a helicopter.

Gaza Strip says hi
[+]
 Asura.Melbufrauma
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-08-27 11:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Link to video, no gore, it cuts off before the gun fully turns on him
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 11:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'll be, it does seem like it was in "full auto."

idk, the only "rule" I could think of possibly enforcing is making all rapid fire weapons that have a severe chance of recoil being mounted, but it would be costly to implement.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-27 11:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'll be, it does seem like it was in "full auto."

idk, the only "rule" I could think of possibly enforcing is making all rapid fire weapons that have a severe chance of recoil being mounted, but it would be costly to implement.

Also: boring.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 12:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Waste of ammo:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2014-08-27 12:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Needs more 3000 rounds a minute.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-27 12:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Bucket list item

Fixed that for you, my friend.

The question is, am I referring to firing the gun, or Kari?
By fonewear 2014-08-27 12:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Both !
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 12:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing says America more then an attractive woman with a machine gun.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 12:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Bucket list item

Fixed that for you, my friend.

The question is, am I referring to firing the gun, or Kari?

Obligatory:

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-27 12:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Envious of her husband.
Still looking hot at 40.
Smart as ***.
And an atheist too!

Mythbusters must be on constant rerun in Hell lol.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-08-27 12:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to see her blow his brains out tho
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-27 12:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Envious of her husband.
Still looking hot at 40.
Smart as ***.
And an atheist too!

Mythbusters must be on constant rerun in Hell lol.

Though she is a vegetarian and extremely squeemish about it.

Also, Tori, Grant, and Kari will not be back after this season. =(
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-27 12:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they got fired ;;

Also, Tory nearly getting arrested for building a pipe bomb at 19. See? Young people do dumb ***, alot.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 12:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with building a pipe bomb, as long as you don't use it on people, except according to you know: the atf/fbi, and probably various other alphabet agencies.

edit: never have been a big fan of that show, they use hack science and skip a lot of variables, and only come up with excuses to shoot and or blow ***up (which in that part I guess is ok, but the rest annoying the hell out of me).
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-08-27 12:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if it was one of the parents who filmed it? I can understand why they would turn the footage over to the police, but how in the Hell was this video plastered all over the internet? Wouldn't the parents have to approve of this being released to media outlets?

This entire situation is simply FUBAR.
[+]
By Asura.Wonderousgoat 2014-08-27 12:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

This is the most profound gif about 'Murica ever. There are just layers upon layers to dissect and analyze.
Who posted this picture of Natenn firing a gun on ffxiah!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-27 12:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole appeal of the show was basically Snopes with explosives. It's edutainment, designed to get some basic science across while keeping you interested by blowing ***up.

If you want real science, turn the TV off and take a college course. I think Mythbusters is one of the few shows left on TV that hasn't become a drooling pile of horsecocks and if it got some kids interested in real science more power to them.

I mean, how many people cite Scotty for getting into engineering?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13