Please Sign In To Stop Genocide In Palestine

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Please sign in to Stop genocide in palestine
Please sign in to Stop genocide in palestine
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 117 118 119
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-07-25 10:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Sorry, but you didn't win. In order for you to win at anything, you would have to have competition, and we are not competing against or for anything.
I guess Nikolce has a point if we want the thread to die and all, so I'll keep it short.

I'm not interested in a PM discussion as I have nothing to discuss with you specifically.
My point has been made, even if it wasn't understood or accepted by most people, it was made and some people have understood it. That's all that matters.

As for "earning my hatred", I've earned it years ago when it comes to FFXI, I've never had a good image or anything around here for as long as I remember, and I do not worry about painting a false image of myself. If people hate me for things that are superfluous, then so be it.
By fonewear 2014-07-25 11:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

We reached page nine (and went to 17) that is all that really matters in any discussion.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2014-07-25 11:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
He has the cure for cancer, checkmate Kingnobody.

Speaking of cures, how bout that Hep C cure goin for 1k per pill? I think i'd rather suffer in silence that pay that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-25 11:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
we enjoy watching things blow up on TV
Michael Bay sucks.
We're all aware, and as far as I'm concerned, the people behind the newest movie should all be hung for their crimes.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-25 12:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
He has the cure for cancer, checkmate Kingnobody.
I had literally forgotten about that sheer stupidity until you just reminded us all, thanks.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-07-25 12:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh...I didn't really want to participate in this thread more than I wanted.

Senkyuutai,

This is purely observational and retrospectively thinking about education in the US, and I'm not trying to justify it by any means, but I've felt as though the US gives a more edited and almost nationalistic perspective of history at the pre-collegiate level. (Granted, this could just be from state-to-state.) I think that European history (solely European history), as well as introducing a Middle Eastern/Asian History class, should be mandatory and not an elective, because the World History class that is mandatory is a slap-dash, condensed crash-course, even on the Advanced Placement level.

I've wondered if it's because of the geographic "isolation" that creates a detachment, in a way (?), and makes it acceptable to either skirt or spin a global perspective as far as US public school education, which is on the decline. Seriously, if it doesn't have to do with the US, it's given in broad-strokes. Maybe that could be the subconscious catalyst for these abrasively patriotic, narcissistic perspectives of the US's role in the world?

Where as, in Europe the immediacy of the cause and effect of events through out history and the proximity of Europe to areas who are in cyclical conflict makes it harder to turn a blind eye. Europe also deals with a more heterogeneous population, and has for centuries.

Just throwing that out there. I know there's no consolation in it, and I want to reiterate that this is not an excuse. I don't even know how to thoroughly explain it without stepping on toes here.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 13:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Senkyuutai,

This is purely observational and retrospectively thinking about education in the US, and I'm not trying to justify it by any means, but I've felt as though the US gives a more edited and almost nationalistic perspective of history at the pre-collegiate level. (Granted, this could just be from state-to-state.) I think that European history (solely European history), as well as introducing a Middle Eastern/Asian History class, should be mandatory and not an elective, because the World History class that is mandatory is a slap-dash, condensed crash-course, even on the Advanced Placement level.

I've wondered if it's because of the geographic "isolation" that creates a detachment, in a way (?), and makes it acceptable to either skirt or spin a global perspective as far as US public school education, which is on the decline. Seriously, if it doesn't have to do with the US, it's given in broad-strokes. Maybe that could be the subconscious catalyst for these abrasively patriotic, narcissistic perspectives of the US's role in the world?

Where as, in Europe the immediacy of the cause and effect of events through out history and the proximity of Europe to areas who are in cyclical conflict makes it harder to turn a blind eye. Europe also deals with a more heterogeneous population, and has for centuries.

Just throwing that out there. I know there's no consolation in it, and I want to reiterate that this is not an excuse. I don't even know how to thoroughly explain it without stepping on toes here.
TBH, you shouldn't be surprised that we, as children, are given more time into regional/American history and less time in European/Asian history.

You do remember the Texas Board of Education's required history and cultural classload for the 12 years of primary education includes 3 years of Texas History and 2 years of American History. Since history isn't offered every year, and basically we get only 6 years of 12 for history, that really limits on total history we learn from primary school.

And you shouldn't be surprised also that Europeans are more interested in teaching European History and less Asian and American history, and Asians are more interested in teaching Asian History, and less European and American History.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-25 13:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, here in VA we had History or some Social science every year, at least as far back as I can recall the curriculum, which is about to 5th grade.

I don't see the point in learning about certain things like 5 different times though, 2 should be enough, once when younger and can enjoy the field trip, and then once when older an expected to remember all the *** things.

I wish I knew I was mildly dyslexic when I was growing up, I'd have had less of an issue "learning" dates, and semantic differences between things. Or maybe not, as most just don't give a ***what year certain events were.

But I digress...
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-07-25 13:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
No sorry not buying into that. People do the same about all kind of prophecies, just wait till something similar and appliable happens and say it was predicted.
Your ignorance is astounding.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-25 13:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

*rolls eyes*
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-07-25 13:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

*rolls eyes*

You're ignorant of just what state the rest of the world was in 1,436 years ago.
Once enlightened and aware of just how primitive science was, you would find the quotes from the Quran to be miraculous.

Anyone who has read even the slightest bit of history would understand.

There are scientists, leaders in their fields, who have converted to the religion after having read these verses because it is impossible for man to have known these things in 600 BC.

But never mind that, please continue to be ignorant.

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Yuukari 2014-07-25 13:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
*rolls eyes*

You're ignorant of just what state the rest of the world was in 1,436 years ago.
Once enlightened and aware of just how primitive science was, you would find the quotes from the Quran to be miraculous.

There are scientists, leaders in their fields, who have converted to the religion after having read these verses because it is impossible for man to have known these things in 600 BC.

You're stupid to let a book dictate your life.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-25 13:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol.
You know there's also people who believe an alien race ruled in that part of the world and gave all such knowledge to humans? Then eventually when they left it turned over time into a monotheistic religion.

We can apply a lot of things to many things, doesn't mean they're necessarily true.

I respect people's faith and you're free to believe in your holy texts, but keep it to yourself, and more importantly don't jump on those who don't have your same beliefs..which coincidentially is also why this thread exists in the first place.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-07-25 13:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Wordlifee said: »
ANYONE who criticizes Israel for what it's doing is a complete idiot. Does anyone think that if Hamas has the military, weapons, and defensive capabilities of Israel that they would show ANY restraint towards Israel? Of course they wouldn't. If the roles were reversed, Hamas would have made Israel a leveled parking lot by now without regard for innocent men, women, or children. And no other nation would accept over 2000+ missiles being fired toward their capital either. So Israel is showing incredible restraint during Operation Protective Edge. Anyone at all that demonizes Israel in all of this is incapable of seeing what is going on over there. Also, on the first page, someone said this has been going on since 1948 which is complete untrue. Hamas took over Gaza in 2007. So this conflict is newer than most people think. It's not about having a Palestinian State either, it's about Iran and Turkey helping terrorists mass murder every religion other than Islam. You CANNOT talk to these people and be reasonable. They are just armed thugs (like Vlad Putin) and should be dealt with without compassion or mercy. Because after all, if the terrorist had the capabilities (like I said before) they would mass murder whoever they wanted without mercy or compassion themselves. Why else would Hamas reject 3 ceasefires? Why else would they surround their targets in Gaza with women and children? So that the most people die possible, and they get sympathizes like the weak US media.

So the conflict in the region started in 2007 and it's all because of Turkey and Iran; did I get that right ?
By Yuukari 2014-07-25 13:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol.
You know there's also people who believe an alien race ruled in that part of the world and gave all such knowledge to humans? Then eventually when they left it turned over time into a monotheistic religion.

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-25 13:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »
it's all because of Turkey
Jeez all for a piece of chicken! I know it tastes good but have some restraint people!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-07-25 13:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yuukari said: »
*rolls eyes*

You're stupid for letting the media dictate yours.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-07-25 13:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol.

We can apply a lot of things to many things, doesn't mean they're necessarily true.

I respect people's faith and you're free to believe in your holy texts, but keep it to yourself, and more importantly don't jump on those who don't have your same beliefs..which coincidentially is also why this thread exists in the first place.

I have underestimated this community's idiocy.
By Yuukari 2014-07-25 13:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yuukari said: »
*rolls eyes*

You're stupid for letting the media dictate yours.

Don't assume, it makes an *** out of u and me.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-25 13:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just roll my eyes again.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-07-25 13:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe if you used your eyes for doing something productive like actually reading instead of rolling them you wouldn't be so blind and ignorant.
 Valefor.Tsurara
user: Hinamori
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-07-25 14:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe if you used your eyes for doing something productive like actually reading instead of rolling them you wouldn't be so blind and ignorant.
Wow you just devolved even further. If you're gonna act like a child, kindly gtfo
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-07-25 14:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

TBH, you shouldn't be surprised that we, as children, are given more time into regional/American history and less time in European/Asian history.

You do remember the Texas Board of Education's required history and cultural class for the 12 years of primary education includes 3 years of Texas History and 2 years of American History. Since history isn't offered every year, and basically we get only 6 years of 12 for history, that really limits on total history we learn from primary school.

And you shouldn't be surprised also that Europeans are more interested in teaching European History and less Asian and American history, and Asians are more interested in teaching Asian History, and less European and American History.

If you didn't pick it up beforehand, no, I'm not surprised. I'm trying to give an explanation to the guy.

It used to be two years of Texas History. The first was combined with American History in the forth grade and the second in the seventh grade, but realistically, what does it do for us? Prepares us for a rare, random pop of Texas History during a round of Trivial Pursuit? All it does is reinforce Texas pride, but then again, states like California have a similar history and demographics, minus the revolution, add the gold rush (as one example).

Europeans are given a more well-rounded, comprehensive education in history than we are, and in turn, it provides a better understanding of the circumstances as they are now. Not only that, but Kindergarten starts from age three. "Pre-K" is purely American, and what's worse, is that public Pre-K is contingent on the income that your family brings in, when it should be provided across the board. It's more or less free day care for low-income families, which is fine, but it should include everyone and be set to the standards that Europe follows. Kids get a two year head-start.

It is also mandatory to be in your secondary language at the elementary level. Here, you qualify in middle school (when Europe starts introducing their tertiary language) provided you meet the standards of the standardized test du jour (which TX has been cycling through for a decade, because the TEA continually flops and have to cover their collective ***). Most people start their secondary language in high school here. My mother was told by my second grade teacher to stop using German in the household, and come to find out over a decade later, learning/sustaining a secondary language is easier if you start earlier.

Our Spanish and/or French classes were a joke. Can you admit that? A friend who teaches Spanish in a rural school, who is Mexican, had to dash her Dia De Los Muertos cultural study in light of parental complaints from Baptists/evangelicals who equate it the holiday with "witchcraft" and worshiping of the dead last year. How do you justify this kind of redacted study that goes hand-in-hand with learning, not only the language, but the culture?

What is even available in individual schools/districts is dependent on funding, which pulls the rug out from under rural/low-income schools. In my opinion, the lack of Advanced Placement programs and/or an array of electives hurts education in different districts.

Not even going to touch in historical inequities of the content of our textbooks for WWI and WWII. Ugh...Don't bring TX education into this.

EDIT: Crazy thought. We should adopt European year-around schooling too.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 14:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you didn't pick it up beforehand, no, I'm not surprised. I'm trying to give an explanation to the guy.
Ah.

Our Spanish and/or French classes were a joke. Can you admit that?
Languages are my weakest subject. Even while I studied abroad in Japan, I had to take level 1 Japanese twice (did much better the second time around, go figure). I would have to take your word for it.

EDIT: Crazy thought. We should adopt European year-around schooling too.

I would pitch a fit, but then again, I don't have to worry about primary schooling for the rest of my life so I really don't care anymore lol.
 Valefor.Tsurara
user: Hinamori
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-07-25 14:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I like most of that Zah save for the year round schooling. It's not cost effective to keep firing on all four cylinders, having to pay teachers with the already limited funding schools have now. ;-; it sucks because it would be nice to have the system, but education has seen so many cuts that it's a wonder we still have a serious education program
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-07-25 15:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the actual problem here is that nobody wants to place equal blame on both sides.

It has to be (nearly all of) Israel's fault or it has to be (nearly all of) Hamas's fault.

Why not consider it is both parties fault for instigating and continuing this war, as neither side has made any reasonable attempt to stop this war.

Who cares what happened in the past? It is what you do with today that matters.

This is a very good post, and I agree 100%. When I was younger and more naive, I thought Israel was the bad guy, because they were the oppressors, the ones with the power, and it's easier to support an underdog. As I got older, I see more that some Palestinians use barbaric methods to advance their cause, and that neither side is totally committed to peaceful coexistence.

As an American, I just say "keep us out of it." I don't care what your 1500 or 4000 year old book of mythology says. I won't have my tax dollars going to fund senseless violence by either side. And you're starting to see this perspective enter the mainstream of American politics. Slowly now, but in the last decade I've seen it more and more, both from the left and the right.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-25 15:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

year-around schooling.

it's a great idea.... probably take a generation or two to get it implemented... then a third before we see the effects take hold... call it sixty years.... give or take a decade...

yeah....

so we'll get back to you in somewhere around 2080ish?...

the palestinians can hang on until then...

/signs off on it
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-07-25 15:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
I do not not know if you can make fun of holocaust/ISRAEL in USA,

You can.

... in France you can't, a famous humorist got his theater closed because of couple joke about the holocaust and Israel(he has zero issue when he made of Christian/Muslim/Buudisth/Atheist)

While I don't agree with that extreme of a reaction, Holocaust denial is a disgusting thing. There are Holocaust deniers in Europe and the Arab world. While we can debate numbers of dead, to pretend that the Holocaust never even happened is shameful and disgusting. It's on a level with those Americans who believe that slavery was actually humane and was a net benefit for blacks.
Well he didn't really deny it, he questioned it, in an honest way. He literally asked ANYONE to come and have a talk with him about what happened. He asked for someone to talk so he could listen and understand. He still keeps asking people to talk rather than to threaten his life or simply insult him.

And you know what? Absolutely nobody in the whole country (or the other French speaking countries, or even foreign ones as the whole story reached other countries) is fine with talking to him. It's not even about having a recorded debate, it's just about talking like humans.
In France, you can laugh/disrespect what happened to black people. You can laugh/disrespect the Armenian genocide. You can laugh/disrespect what happened in the 60's between France and Algeria. You can make fun/disrespect anything as long as it's not the holy Holocaust. This is the only thing not to joke with.

But if it was only the Holocaust, people would still crack jokes at jews and money and so on, but no, even this kind of jokes will earn you life threats and insults, and getting more or less fired with no way of climbing back up.

Back in the 80's and even 90's, you could joke about the Holocaust, many comedians did. You could joke about jews, many comedians did. But then, at some point in the early 00's, it became usual to joke about black people, and for some reason, anyone who started to joke about jews again got heavy ***handed to them, unless they were jews (which involved rather bland jokes as a result, obviously).

I think there is room for public discourse on Jews and the Holocaust that can be done respectfully, and I agree that some Jews don't see to want this kind of discourse for some reason. However, much of the "debate" on the Holocaust is outright lies, or justifications for what happened, and the ones raising the issues have despicable agendas like neo-Nazi's, racists, and Arabs who want no less than the eradication of Israel.

Also, please stop painting all Americans with the same brush. Not all of us are myopic "shoot first ask questions later" cowboy types. I should point out that, in 2000, our population actually didn't elect that kind of President, but rather he got into office by corruption and nepotism. The posters here are not representative of the average American. Very few of us feel like Vic, that the Palestinians should all be wiped out. I think most Americans want peace and a two-state solution. We're tired of being drug into this mess by our politicians, who are catering to a tiny but powerful demographic of Americans, and a larger demographic of lunatic Christian fundamentalists.

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
The whole complain people have ever since WWII ended is: why is the fact that Jews specifically died the only thing to remember? Why are gipsies and homosexuals put lower on the "pain scale"?

Because of the Biblical and historical significance of the persecution of the Jews, and because in America the other victims of the Holocaust are marginalized, where Jewish-Americans are not, generally, anymore.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-07-25 15:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Senkyuutai,

Yes, I agree/am aware of the part regarding proximity. I always find it cute when an American genuinely asks about how it feels to live close to other countries because it makes you feel like you have a very special situation here.

I just believe that, especially when it's a "debate", people have to be open minded and try to understand the different situation before getting really into it. I have met a lot of Americans who simply say "I don't/wouldn't know" and these people are perfectly respectable. The people I have been pointing at are people that "think that they know", because for them, having an opinion at all automatically gives them credit, automatically makes them know, automatically makes their input to be respected and accepted. It is perfectly fine when it's about some typical US issues, but in a thread like this, opening with Viciousss' post, well, it gives a VERY different vibe than the usual stupidities seen around here. And this is a typical US mentality/mindset/attitude. Sure, there are stubborn/dumb people everywhere in the world, but as you pointed out, these non-US people when it comes to international stuff come with a much bigger baggage than the usual American, due to school alone, and it makes it a really weird feeling to see Viciousss' post and know that he's 100% serious.

But you used the perfect word for it, "narcissistic". I just would hope that when someone put it in the terms you just did, it would reach them. I hope it did at least.

I guess I generalized too much but I did also explain accurately: when I mentioned Americans, I specifically meant the usual guys that post in every P&R threads. I find it really funny/sad that the guys that post in every of these threads share the same ignorance and narrow mindedness. Being ignorant is perfectly fine if you're looking to actually expand your knowledge and are as such a well waiting for information to fill you. I don't see any well of information waiting to be filled here, they all come with their logic, they all came with a specific result and in their mind, it was a perfectly flawless way of thinking.

As much as the US education is a joke (I don't think a country has a perfect education, but the US is clearly below average for the reasons you have given, in 2014 it's worrisome), I don't want to blame it. It is up to the individual's curiosity and actual intelligence to go beyond that and reach a state where they can grasp what education couldn't teach them.

At the end of the day, each human chooses his/her own path and they also choose to see their own limitations and accept them. I'm not saying I'm above these guys in general, I'm not saying I'm better, I'm saying that on the specific topic discussed in this very thread, the people targeted would have spent their time better if they stuck to the Obamacare thread. I have my own limits which is why I do not post in American-related threads as I do not grasp their situation there. As my mom would say, "know your place". I'm not going to open 20 links, spend 30min reading them all and suddenly pop up on one of those Obamacare threads and shower people with my "knowledge" and "opinion".

But this kind of logic/mindset is something that flew completely above their heads. All they saw, like King, is an attack, an offense. They can't just sit there and think, think, think, then understand that despite their internet persona being thrown mud at, they are unable to clean it, and that's just how it is in this case.

I don't know, I completely understand your point and I find it unfair that the US system is different, but a part of myself cannot empathize with people who choose the lazy way of thinking that their cozy little world's view of the rest of the world is reality and do not ever question it, acknowledging it as real.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 117 118 119