Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-26 19:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Everything in this game takes up time.

There's little difference between using time to farm gil and using time to WS kill stuff.

There really is.
HMP requires you to sacrifice your main gil-farming methods to complete effectively, WS killshots are free so are only a time-sink and you can still spend the gil on something else.

On top of this, HMPs vs. WS killshots, in terms of man-hours-to-generate, suffer from a coefficient ratio of 18:1.

There's really no reasonable way to compare the two trials. Completely different animals, etc.

Still, HMP is pretty reasonable, especially considering how easy the 99 empyrean trial is slated to be.
Translation:

Healing MP requires you to sacrifice all your gil to compete effectively, weapon skill killshots are free so are only a time sink and you can still spend the gil on something else.

On top of this, Healing MP vs Weaponskill killshots, in terms of man-hours-to-generate, suffer from a coefficient ratio of 18:1.

There's really no reasonable way to compare the two trials. Completely different animals, etc.

Still, Healing MP is pretty reasonable, especially considering how easy the 99 empyrean trial is slated to be.

(I'm sorry Sylow D:)
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-26 19:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

In most cases the afterglow effect isn't even an upgrade, at least not the way they're slating it to work right now.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-26 19:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Who heals for MP anymore!
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-26 19:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't... but HMP will always be healing mp for me :(
 Bahamut.Atoreis
Server: Bahamut
user: Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-01-26 19:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeyphr said: »
Nobody said there easy but they are, you can make a empyrean in 2days np.

As for the trials, i'm not saying make it soo easy i can do it in a day. I'm saying if the trials going to be ridiculously difficult that only veterans will obtain it, make the reward justify the work ethic. They should never have let these weps be made in 2days by casuals if they planned to slap them in the face.

I'm happy they let us have powerful weapons, but then again, why did the easiest weapons become the most powerful?

They arent easy to get because we are in the thread where ppl whine its too hard.

You answering you own question. Best weapons shouldnt be easy to get? Thats what they fixed with 95 and 99 versions.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-26 19:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
Everything in this game takes up time.

There's little difference between using time to farm gil and using time to WS kill stuff.

There really is.
HMP requires you to sacrifice your main gil-farming methods to complete effectively, WS killshots are free so are only a time-sink and you can still spend the gil on something else.

On top of this, HMPs vs. WS killshots, in terms of man-hours-to-generate, suffer from a coefficient ratio of 18:1.

Still, HMP is pretty reasonable, especially considering how easy the 99 empyrean trial is slated to be.

No, no there isn't. They're both just time sinked intended to further your character.

You didn't point anything out that distinguish between the two procedures. You simply described them.

Go you.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-26 19:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You simply failed to understand the difference. But that's fine, I've never been extremely confident in your ability to understand the inner workings of a system.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-26 19:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

How are people still thinking HMP trials are hard and challenging? I don't think spending weeks scouting out bazaars and getting items before other players is riveting in any way, shape, or form.

If you do, you might want to start shopping at walmart on black friday and other holiday sales. At least then there's kicking, screaming, and possibly blood.
[+]
By Rhaokin 2012-01-26 19:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

From a minimalistic standpoint you can do Dynamis every day, and sell your currency. Then buy HMP for 100k a piece. In 160ish days counting reraise and food deductions you could have the weapon complete. Dynamis only takes 2 hours a day, and if you have more time than that you can complete the weapon in far less time by selling VW drops or merc'ing Empyrean items.
By Zeyphr 2012-01-26 19:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is it everyone thinks all the QQ's are saying the trials hard?

Learn to read people! All we'r saying is there's not enough supply of metal plates to meet the demands.

Nobodys whining emp weapons are hard to be made, there easily the most easiest weapons to be made which caused this arguement, theres so many emp weapons because SE allowed everyone to get one. And there isn';t enough metal plates.
 Carbuncle.Lolserj
Server: Carbuncle
user: Andras
By Carbuncle.Lolserj 2012-01-26 19:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Rhaokin said: »
If you really think about it, from a minimalistic standpoint you can do Dynamis every day, 2 hours a day, and in 160ish days counting reraise and food deductions you could have the weapon complete.

totally reasonable
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-26 19:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I fail to understand the difference between killing something with a WS ~1000 times and buying 1500 heavy metals.

Sure.

I've already completed one and 2/3 towards completing the other.

How far are you?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-26 19:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the 1500 plates for like 3 damage and a few (insert random attribute here) doesn't make sense.

1500 plates for a WS makes more sense to me than that...
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-26 20:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Killing 200 beetles for +1dmg on your teiwaz doesn't make sense either.
By Zeyphr 2012-01-26 20:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I fail to understand the difference between killing something with a WS ~1000 times and buying 1500 heavy metals.

Sure.

How far are you?

You save 150mil? Seriously, would you spend 150mil on a onion dagger? Thats kinda what the trial is rewarding u with, an upgrade to that stature. Yeah yeah you can then do the trial for 99, heard you say it like 20 times, how bout we focus on the 95 requirements and wether or not the cost justifies it.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-26 20:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

An onion dagger? Hell yes, if I can put it on my third arm for some trio-wielding action.

Yeah, I have three arms. Jealous?
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-26 20:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure.

How far are you?

I'm a mathematician. I don't do things, I calculate things.

How about this, you tell me exactly how long it takes to get one WS killshot, and I'll calculate the difference in opportunity cost more or less exactly.

As it stands, all of the relic trials together are 1400 total killshots (200,200,300,300,400)

If you say each killshot is 1.5 minutes to complete (this is probably a high estimate), so approximately 35 total hours.

So the WS killshots, if we're using Dynamis as our main source of gil (and this is a somewhat bad assumption, because now we're assuming that we're not doing dynamis to do WS killshots, whereas in reality a serious player would likely do both and just delay completion on the WS killshots), thats an opportunity cost of 35-87.5 million gil.

HMPs will have an opportunity cost of >150million gil at 100k/plate, (150 + KT_2 - ((1-KT_2)F) where K is the opportunity cost in hours of doing something besides making gil and T_1 is the time you spend shouting/looking through bazaars to find the plates), and F is the number you manage to farm on your own for free, while T_2 is the time you spend farming (per plate you farm).
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2012-01-26 20:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Killing 200 beetles for +1dmg on your teiwaz doesn't make sense either.

Makes more sense than trading in 200 rare beetle legs that are in short supply so they so they sell for 100k each. All for measly +1 dmg (marginal upgrades)
[+]
By Zeyphr 2012-01-26 20:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

An onion dagger? Hell yes, if I can put it on my third arm for some trio-wielding action.

Yeah, I have three arms. Jealous?

Enjoy your onion dagger.

Btw since you have a Mandau, would you rather have a 1000 ws kills trial or 1500 metal plate trial? I'm sure i know what you'll say, it'll just prove u actually have no idea how there is a huge difference between these trials.
By mortontony1 2012-01-26 20:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a question but have the official stats for the 99 version come out yet? I keep seeing that the HMPs "unlock a more powerful trial" or something like that. DO they really? Or would it just be another 2 or 3 dmg on the weapon that you wouldn't be able to tell if you got unless you had a parser?
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-26 20:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

And now, we assume that every trial furthers your character the exact same amount.

Not even worth my time peeling apart this level of ...to put it nicely...nonsense.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-26 20:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Good, every time I get you to stop posting your dribble in a thread, it's a personal victory for me.
[+]
By Zeyphr 2012-01-26 20:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Way to avoid questions. Every post you do seems to be of some sort of arguement and 99% of the time your wrong but to proud to see it.

Btw i sent that onion dagger to ur dbox, lemme know how it works!
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-26 20:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose it wouldn't ruin your fun if I pointed out that 200 beetles will get you +1dmg on your staff, but +250 funguar will get you +affinity: elemental damage?

It doesn't require anymore than simply being alive to understand that some trials further your character more than others.

I don't know what is it with this forum, and I do specifically mean ffxiah.com forum, and throwing all reason out the window when it comes to arguing over something. It's never this bad on other forums, besides alla.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-26 20:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You're the only one throwing all reason out the window. And I even agree with you on one point (HMPs are not an unreasonable trial).

But to even pretend that WS killshots and HMPs are on a similar level of opportunity cost is just gross ignorance.
[+]
By Zeyphr 2012-01-26 20:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

But this 1500 plate doesn't further your as much as it should that's the point your failing to see wether you admit it or not. The rewarded stats will be barely noticeable and the pricetag is not worth it.

Also perhaps you'd be more fitting in Alla, just putting ideas out there to benefit us all. All i ever see u do is argue.. you bring it upon yourself tbh
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-26 20:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
But to even pretend that WS killshots and HMPs are on a similar level of opportunity cost is just gross ignorance.

Yeah, I never made that point.

My only point regarding that is that they're both annoying, tedious trials hated by everyone that lead to even more trials that can further your weapon down the line.

Anything further than that is just something you made up.

I mean you're really not paying attention. The staff trial example. The afterglow example. They're all pointing to the same argument.

And Zeyphr, you're still making the same old argument.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-01-26 20:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

X: You
Y: No You
X: No, No, YOU!
Z: Who, me?
Y: Yes
X: No
Z Huh?

Me: Popcorn
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-26 20:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

My point is that tedium aside, WS killshots are laughable in comparison to HMPs, and as such your comparison was bad.

People didn't do the relic WS killshots simply because it opened the gates to another trial, people did the relic WS killshots because they were easy and could be soloed and opened the gates to other trials (also previous investment was a lot higher, something Empyreans don't have going for themselves)
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8