Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 Shot Down By SAM

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 shot down by SAM
Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 shot down by SAM
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-18 09:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It was the tv news that talked about this.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 09:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
fonewear said: »
Nevermind. Guess I'm just being a dirty hippie again. -.-;

It's fine to want peace and love but to expect it is a bit much.

I just feel if you've got the ability to operate a SAM, you've got the ability to differentiate between civillian and military aircraft.

It was probablyclearly a bad judgment call to fly through Ukrainian airspace.

But much like someone who takes a wrong turn and ends up driving through a bad neighborhood and getting mugged or robbed or worse, it's still ultimately on the person actually perpetrating the act.

No. In real life there isn't a box over your target telling you its a good or bad guy. There isn't even a picture of the target. Just a radar ping with the ELINT data acquired from it. Actually being able to read and interpret that data then cross reference it with a list of known signatures is an entire speciality to itself. Targeteers go to special schools for each weapons platform the operate on just to learn these things. Otherwise you get them shooting at ***they shouldn't be shooting at.

I stand corrected on that particular front, then. I was not under the impression real combat is like CoD, but I did think there was some sort of method within the targeting itself that identified these things for you or somehow otherwise allowed you to confirm your target in a more rapid fashion.

Doesn't change the fact some terrorist (freedom fighter, if you're sympathetic) fired a missle without confirming their target and killed 300 innocent people.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 09:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Nevermind. Guess I'm just being a dirty hippie again. -.-;

It's fine to want peace and love but to expect it is a bit much.

I just feel if you've got the ability to operate a SAM, you've got the ability to differentiate between civillian and military aircraft.

It was probablyclearly a bad judgment call to fly through Ukrainian airspace.

But much like someone who takes a wrong turn and ends up driving through a bad neighborhood and getting mugged or robbed or worse, it's still ultimately on the person actually perpetrating the act.
They were warned that this was likely to happen. They chose to ignore that warning and they will now have to make all the changes they would have in the first place if they had listened.

They gambled with human lives and lost BIG. Did they have any intent for it to turn out this way. Most likely not... but when you are responsible for the lives of about 300 people and you choose to send them into a war zone after you've been warned about the potential threats...

They'll end up taking a beating over this too...

Did I miss a source confirming they were warned this would happen? Kara just quoted a source saying that the flight path was approved and was cleared.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-07-18 09:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
News here said that their aim was Putin's plane which was also supposed to fly along the same path that day. But since I keep reading that this was made by russians I guess it's to try to pass the blame and make Russia look like the victim?

That is pretty much ***. Treat anything from Russia the same way you would something from China or North Korea. Reports like that are designed to create national unity amongst a domestic populations. State controlled media has a history of fabricating stories and feeding them to the locals.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 09:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly I just have a very bad feeling about all of this. I'm sure we're still missing a lot of vital information and I really hope this gets sorted out quick.

Given the various countries and heated climate involved thusfar, it really has the potential to balloon into something even worse than the tragedy that it already is.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-18 09:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Jezebel is using this tragedy to promote their agenda.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 09:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

...Airliner shot down, get out the penis guillotine?
By fonewear 2014-07-18 09:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

No they are saying this is a reason to not have kids...because the world is a cruel and unusual place...the writing is so bad that it is hardly worth reading.

Here: "But I don't want to bring a child into a world where little boys playing soccer with their cousins on a beach get blown up by the Israeli army. I don't want to bring a child into a world where a Ukrainian rebel (or Russian fighter, or who-the-***) with poor eyesight and even worse judgment shoots a Malaysian Airlines passenger flight from the sky with a Soviet-era war relic, killing 295 people who have absolutely *** nothing to do with a lingering conflict over territory. I don't want to bring a daughter into a world where college administrators turn a blind eye to sexual assault, or a son into a world where he'd likely bear witness to sexual assault as a bystander, victim, or perpetrator. I don't want to bring a child into a world where a girl's rape can go viral. I don't want to give birth to a child in a coastal city that will be under water in 100 years, to one where boys who grow up wanting to serve their country end up dying to protect *** Cheney's stock portfolio. To a world where a religious institution that has, for 1500 years, harbored pedophiles and blood money, still holds political sway over a large portion of the country that controls the largest military in the world. I won't bear a child into a world of constant surveillance. I can't do it."
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 09:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Not they are saying this is a reason to not have kids...

There are already six billion good reasons to not have kids.

This doesn't even crack the top 10%.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-07-18 09:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Refunds offered after MH17 crash

Malaysia Airlines will fully refund passengers wanting to cancel their tickets until Thursday next week.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down over Ukraine this morning killing all 298 aboard. Malaysia Airlines told Fairfax Media passengers who wish to postpone or cancel their travel plans can obtain a refund, including for non refundable tickets.

The policy is effective immediately until Thursday next week. The waivers apply for travel between July 18 until December 31, 2014.

"Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets the loss of MH17 and is very much appreciative of the support from our passengers," a statement from the airline said.
By fonewear 2014-07-18 09:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The *** Cheney reference is classic though. Not sure what this has to do with sexual assault but she managed to put that in the article as well.

I can bet you patriarchy is responsible somehow...the plane is just a metaphor for objectifying women.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-07-18 09:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It was the tv news that talked about this.

The Ukrainian government has control of the air traffic towers. They knew there were commercial flights over this area, quite a few flying over that area at the same time.

Right now the evidence that is available (which is unconfirmed) is pointing to the rebels thinking they had taken down a cargo plane.

The seperatists started deleting pictures and posts on their twitter account claiming responsiblity and getting rid of historical BUK pictures, there are pictures of them moving the BUK out of the country yesterday, and a call recording bewtween soldiers about the crash.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-07-18 09:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The *** Cheney reference is classic though. Not sure what this has to do with sexual assault but she managed to put that in the article as well.

I can bet you patriarchy is responsible somehow...the plane is just a metaphor for objectifying women.
Somewhere a man pushed a button and thus all men are oppressing women.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 09:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

...I tend to be pretty sympathetic toward the actual feminists out there but even I can't stand most of the crap they try to spin on that site. That's not feminism. That's a significant personality disorder manifested in very unhealthy ways.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-18 09:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

When you stop being a victim things make more sense. Not everyone is out to get you. You can apply that to everything not just being a woman.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-07-18 09:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The Sepratists dun goofed and if Russia did give them the surface-to-air missile systems (and it wasn't confiscated from Ukraine) then they too bear responsibility for this gigantic ***. If this was a Russian airliner, Putin would be livid.

I suppose this is what's to be expected when you give untrained militia fighters sensitive missile technology but both the US, UN and EU air safety bodies didn't have this particular stretch of airspace as being potentially dangerous. If I recall, the US airlines were told south of this region was the hot zone (Crimea, Sea of Azov, Black Sea) and to make appropriate course changes on flights.

That all being said, it's unclear where we go from here politically. Russia will probably deny responsibility publicly even if evidence mounts against them, Ukraine will use this as a bid for funding for the West and reparations will be doled out.

Sad really but it reminds us we all live in a global world where some conflict on far shores can drop on our doorstep at any time.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-07-18 09:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

There is an Australian woman who has lost family on both this Malaysia Airlines flight and the missing 370 >_>
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-07-18 09:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
There is an Australian woman who has lost family on both this Malaysia Airlines flight and the missing 370 >_>
Double tragedy for Australian family
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 09:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Double tragedy for Australian family

Saw that on MSN this morning.

Gotta feel bad for her. =\
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-07-18 09:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Update on passenger nationalities.

There seems to have been over 50 HIV/AIDS (someone from the research institute said around 100) researchers on the plane and Malaysian Prime Ministers grandmother. There is some speculation that the researchers brought their families, which is why the children count might be so high at 80, but this is still unconfirmed.

Quote:
189 Netherlands
44 Malaysia
27 Australia
12 Indonensia
9 UK
4 Belgium
4 Germany
3 Philippines
1 Canada
1 New Zealand
4 unconfirmed
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-18 10:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

There seems to have been over 50 HIV/AIDS (someone from the research institute said around 100) researchers on the plane and Malaysian Prime Ministers grandmother. There is some speculation that the researchers brought their families, which is why the children count might be so high at 80, but this is still unconfirmed.

Quote:
189 Netherlands
44 Malaysia
27 Australia
12 Indonensia
9 UK
4 Belgium
4 Germany
3 Philippines
1 Canada
1 New Zealand
4 unconfirmed
It's obvious then.

Putin is obviously against AIDS research and want to destroy all scientists associated with said research
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 10:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Quote:
189 Netherlands
44 Malaysia
27 Australia
12 Indonensia
9 UK
4 Belgium
4 Germany
3 Philippines
1 Canada
1 New Zealand
4 unconfirmed
It's obvious then.

Putin is obviously against AIDS research and want to destroy all scientists associated with said research

Only the gays get AIDS and he hates the gays.

Clearly this is a factor.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-18 10:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Quote:
189 Netherlands
44 Malaysia
27 Australia
12 Indonensia
9 UK
4 Belgium
4 Germany
3 Philippines
1 Canada
1 New Zealand
4 unconfirmed
It's obvious then.

Only the gays get AIDS and he hates the gays.

Clearly this is a factor.
Gays and their sympathizers get AIDS. Don't forget.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-18 10:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Cerberus.Cahlum said: »
To be fair why the hell would you be flying over eastern Ukraine. A Fighter Jet was shot down earlier the same day, seriously who runs these airlines.

It's cheaper in terms of fuel expenses to risk flying over a warzone than to navigate around it. Until of course something like this happens, and people stop flying.
I'm sure that's a great consolation to the families of the deceased.

They flew over a war zone where it was known that planes have been shot down recently, to save a few bucks in fuel costs.

Once again money trumps any sense of morality or even basic intelligence.
You know NOTHING about assigned flight paths. They were on an assigned flight path over a conflict zone. To deviate from a flight path in general is unwise. To deviate from a flight path over a conflict zone is unheard of.

For that matter in today's airliners the autopilot does the flying, the pilots are decoration and autopilot programers. Neither the pilots nor the company made any decisions. If you do not understand the term flight path TRY to understand the word assigned.

For reference I still hold a pilot's license that I earned back in the '70s. Commercial S/MEL SES.

Is there ANYONE else here who has ever been PIC? Been an air traffic controller? At least taken a demonstration flight in a light plane?

Sometimes the lack of knowledge here infuriates me.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-18 10:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
For reference I still hold a pilot's license that I earned back in the '70s.
Of what century? Kehehe.

Sorry!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-07-18 10:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So educate. I think it's unreasonable to assume everyone knows how commercial aviation functions considering all passengers do is sit in their seats and mull over the bag fees and stale peanuts. I do sometimes wonder what's in the 'red mystery box' that gets sold but it's just a boring snack box.

From what little I (think) I know, aircraft have flight paths that amount to strung together waypoints that are established routes from point A to B. Small navigational adjustments can be made due to weather but generally aircraft follow these routes as they're the most efficient and consistent for air traffic over a nations airspace.

AKA you know commercial flight traffic use these routes so there nothing to be alarmed about from a military perspective. Well, until you've got unqualified dudes pew pewing things out of the sky then you shoot down the wrong thing...
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2014-07-18 11:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

My knowledge about air-travel:

If the pilot screws up then the pilot dies. If the ATC guy or some engineers or pretty much everyone else screws up then the pilot dies.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-07-18 11:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair why the hell would you be flying over eastern Ukraine. A Fighter Jet was shot down earlier the same day, seriously who runs these airlines.

It's cheaper in terms of fuel expenses to risk flying over a warzone than to navigate around it. Until of course something like this happens, and people stop flying.

They flew over a war zone where it was known that planes have been shot down recently, to save a few bucks in fuel costs.

You know NOTHING about assigned flight paths. They were on an assigned flight path over a conflict zone. To deviate from a flight path in general is unwise. To deviate from a flight path over a conflict zone is unheard of.

For that matter in today's airliners the autopilot does the flying, the pilots are decoration and autopilot programers. Neither the pilots nor the company made any decisions. If you do not understand the term flight path TRY to understand the word assigned.

For reference I still hold a pilot's license that I earned back in the '70s. Commercial S/MEL SES.

Is there ANYONE else here who has ever been PIC? Been an air traffic controller? At least taken a demonstration flight in a light plane?

The pilot deviated to begin with.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-07-18 11:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Malaysian Airliners involved in another mystery. Something is going down in Malaysia I tells you!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-18 11:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The pilot deviated to begin with.

Why are you so hot to blame everyone but the people who fired a missle at an unconfirmed target?

I know you work in the region and have sympathy for those involved, but let's face it. At absolute best this was a horrible, horrible mistake by people trying to settle their problems in the worst possible way.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7