Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 Shot Down By SAM

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 shot down by SAM
Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 shot down by SAM
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-07-17 17:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Malaysian plane reportedly shot down in Ukraine near Russian border

Quote:
A Malaysia Airlines passenger plane carrying 295 people was shot down over eastern Ukraine on Thursday, Ukrainian officials said, as both the government and the pro-Russia rebels fighting in the region denied any responsibility for downing the aircraft.

The flight was carrying 280 passengers and 15 crew, the airline confirmed. Dozens of bodies were scattered around the smoldering wreckage in the village of Hrabove, located about 25 miles from the Russian border.

Al Jazeera’s Scott Heidler reported that the area is controlled by rebel fighters and has seen heavy fighting recently.

"We’re talking a large area of what looks like at least two fields. There is a farm road right in between them, the big wreck, as I was talking about, on one side, farmers on the other,” Heidler said.

Anton Gerashenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister, said on his Facebook page that the plane was flying at an altitude of 33,000 feet when it was hit by a missile fired from a Buk surface-to-air missile system, which Russia began producing in the mid-1990s.

A senior U.S. official confirmed that the flight was shot down by a surface-to-air missile.

The self-appointed prime minister of the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine, Alexander Borodai, told Al Jazeera that he was headed to the location of the downed plane and that a Donetsk People's Republic investigation team was now in the area. He blamed the downing of the plane on Ukraine's government forces.

"Apparently, it's a passenger airliner indeed, truly shot down by the Ukrainian air force," Borodai told Russia's state-run Rossiya 24 TV broadcaster.

Russian news agency RIA-Novosti quoted Borodai as saying rebels intend to call a three-day cease-fire to allow an investigation of the crash.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, meanwhile, called the downing an act of terrorism and called for an international investigation into the crash. He insisted that his forces did not shoot down the plane. Poroshenko said his country's armed forces didn't shoot at any airborne targets.

"We do not exclude that this plane was shot down, and we stress that the Armed Forces of Ukraine did not take action against any airborne targets," he said. "We are sure that those who are guilty in this tragedy will be held responsible."

The death toll includes 23 U.S. citizens, according to a Ukrainian Interior Ministry adviser quoted by Interfax news agency.

President Barack Obama, speaking in Delaware on Thursday afternoon, said the U.S. would "offer any assistance to help determine what happened and why."

Malaysia Airlines confirmed on its Twitter feed earlier Thursday that it had lost contact with Flight MH17, which was traveling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, adding that "the last known position was over Ukrainian airspace."

Malaysia Airlines also said that it received notification from Ukrainian air traffic control that it lost contact with the plane, a Boeing 777, about 31 miles from the Russia-Ukraine border.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said on his Twitter page that he was "shocked" by the reports of the crash and that the government was "launching an immediate investigation."

Meanwhile, Britain has asked for an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council to discuss the crisis in Ukraine, diplomats said Thursday.

The flight, according to the aviation tracking website Flightstats.com, was scheduled to arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 6:10 a.m. local time. Major airlines have diverted their flight paths and said they would avoid flying over Ukrainian airspace.

Meanwhile, the Kremlin said that Russian President Vladimir Putin and Obama discussed the plane crash in Ukraine during a phone call.

The development comes a day after the Ukrainian military said a Russian jet shot down a Ukrainian air force plane that was on military operations over eastern Ukraine, where government forces are fighting to quell a pro-Russian rebellion.

The incident also comes after a Malaysia Airlines plane went missing on March 8 on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 passengers and crew on board. It has not been found.

Philip J. Victor contributed to this report, with Al Jazeera and wire services.

Looks like Pro-Russian separatists done goofed here and Malaysia Airlines might want to consider rebranding if they don't outright go bankrupt.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2014-07-17 17:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not in a geographical region to be flying Malaysia Air, but if I were I think I'd opt to fly with another airline... like any other airline.
[+]
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXIV
By Terrah Crystal 2014-07-17 17:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

23 US citizens apparently were aboard
 Cerberus.Cahlum
Server: Cerberus
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2014-07-17 17:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair why the hell would you be flying over eastern Ukraine. A Fighter Jet was shot down earlier the same day, seriously who runs these airlines.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-17 17:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So, we've got two threads for the exact same story now?
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-17 18:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So, we've got two threads for the exact same story now?
The other thread was posted in Chatterbox which has been corrected. The other was demained but left open for discussion. This one has a more lengthy and elaborate quoted source in the OP so I left this one as the mained thread.

OP from the other thread-
Lakshmi.Kingofbastok said: »
Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

Quote:
(CNN) -- A Malaysia Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, has crashed in eastern Ukraine, Russian news agency Interfax reported Thursday.

Malaysia Airlines confirmed that it lost contact with Flight 17 and that the plane's last known position was over Ukrainian airspace, the airline said on Twitter.

The aircraft was "shot down" over Ukraine by "terrorists" operating a Buk surface-to-air missile system, according to the Facebook page of Anton Gerashchenko, adviser to the Ukrainian Interior Ministry. There were 280 passengers killed as well as 15 crew members, Gerashchenko's post reads.

"We do not exclude that the plane was shot down and confirm that the Ukraine Armed Forces did not fire at any targets in the sky," Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said, according to his website.

The jet is a Boeing 777, according to Interfax. The plane reportedly went down near the border between Russia and Ukraine.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-17 18:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't wait to hear John McCain's level-headed analysis of this, especially if Americans were indeed on board.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-17 18:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Can't wait to hear John McCain's Obama's level-headed analysis political spin of this, especially if Americans were indeed on board.
ftfy

Because you know this is more likely. Next thing you know he is going to demand that people don't fly, because that would have totally prevented this!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-07-17 18:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Woops, wrong thread lol
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-17 18:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

Edit: Woops, wrong thread lol
lies
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-17 18:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Can't wait to hear John McCain's Obama's level-headed analysis political spin of this, especially if Americans were indeed on board.
ftfy

Because you know this is more likely. Next thing you know he is going to demand that people don't fly, because that would have totally prevented this!
McCain has already blamed Obama, and is usually one of the first to jump on the Politicize My Tragedy™ bus.

EDIT: I think McCain is kinda losing it, TBH.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-17 18:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

ftfy

Political spin doesn't have the word "Anal" in it though. That was my entire purpose! And now you all have the beautiful image of Sweaty Old McCain takin' up the poopduct.

Anna Ruthven said: »
ftfy

McCain has already blamed Obama, and is usually one of the first to jump on the Politicize My Tragedy™ bus.

Like I said when I went into the polling box. I wasn't so much voting for Obama as I was voting against Sarah Pailin. If McCain can degrade so fast in the literally do-nothing job of Senator, how long do you think he would have lasted in the Oval Office? 2, maybe 3 heartbeats?
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-17 19:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

ftfy

Political spin doesn't have the word "Anal" in it though. That was my entire purpose! And now you all have the beautiful image of Sweaty Old McCain takin' up the poopduct.

I have become damp.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-17 19:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

ftfy

Wait, McCain already blamed Obama on this? Links please.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-17 19:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ftfy

Wait, McCain already blamed Obama on this? Links please.
Here.

EDIT: So you don't miss the point...
Quote:
He also told host Andrew Mitchell that President Barack Obama has mishandled the Ukraine crisis by going soft on Russian President Vladimir Putin and refusing to arm Ukrainian government forces.

'The United States – it has been insulting in how small and how little help we have given,' he complained. 'I mean, they have been begging us for defensive weaponry [but] we have not given it to them.'

Basically, he's saying that Obama didn't do enough so he's partly to blame.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2014-07-17 19:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

what ya'll gonna do when russia say *** those sanctions.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-17 19:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we've had enough issues over the years by giving weapons to people in other countries.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-17 19:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I think we've had enough issues over the years by giving weapons to people in other countries.
If I were president, I'd send them nunchucks.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-17 19:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I don't care what they send, as long as they start charging for it.

"Yeah, you want 10 Abrams? that will be 120 million, due to costs, etc"
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2014-07-17 19:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Cahlum said: »
To be fair why the hell would you be flying over eastern Ukraine. A Fighter Jet was shot down earlier the same day, seriously who runs these airlines.

if they had taken a more southern route to Malaysia it would have put them over egypt iraq Israel and some other not so friendly places that are more likely not to care if it is a civilian target.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-17 19:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still trying to figure out why paramilitary civilians are in possession of a weapon capable to downing a commercial airliner flying at 32,000 feet but not the common sense to figure out what they're aiming at before pulling the trigger.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-17 20:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

News agencies have recently revealed photographs of the men responsible:

Sources say they heard the men shout "It's coming right for us!" just prior to launching the missile.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-17 20:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I'm still trying to figure out why paramilitary civilians are in possession of a weapon capable to downing a commercial airliner flying at 32,000 feet but not the common sense to figure out what they're aiming at before pulling the trigger.

Soviet second-hands weapon market doesn't have particularly thorough screening processes. They probably thought it was a C17 or something.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-17 21:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Soviet second-hands weapon market doesn't have particularly thorough screening processes. They probably thought it was a C17 or something.

Yes it is easy to get ahold of anything if you have enough money, the question is: who is financing them?

If Russia is giving those weapons to them, wouldn't they ultimately be responsible for the outcome?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-17 21:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it is easy to get ahold of anything if you have enough money, the question is: who is financing them?

If Russia is giving those weapons to them, wouldn't they ultimately be responsible for the outcome?

No more responsible than the U.S. is for losing our own Helicopters in Afghanistan, seeing as how the Towlieban was using the Stinger Missiles the CIA gave them.

What are the odds that they acquired it just by virtue of conquest. Have the separatists managed to capture any military caches in their rampage?
 Valefor.Tsurara
Server: Valefor
user: Hinamori
By Valefor.Tsurara 2014-07-17 21:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

ftfy

Uh, he's older than the chocolate chip cookie recipe and a former POW, I think you might be on to something.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-07-17 22:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So we have a Russian backed act of terrorism against the Netherlands, Malaysia, the US, and whomever else was killed on the flight. I'm sure Putin is scrambling to figure out how to blame this on the Ukraine and Obama, don't think the world is going to go for it tho. The Ukraine doesn't just have missile defense systems laying around, and I doubt the separatists even know how to use one.
 Fenrir.Nitenichi
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Nitenichi 2014-07-17 22:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So Sams can shoot down airliners now? SE going bananas with buffs!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-17 23:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
So we have a Russian backed act of terrorism against the Netherlands, Malaysia, the US, and whomever else was killed on the flight. I'm sure Putin is scrambling to figure out how to blame this on the Ukraine and Obama, don't think the world is going to go for it tho. The Ukraine doesn't just have missile defense systems laying around, and I doubt the separatists even know how to use one.
So much delusional. Or just wants to place blame on somebody. Probably both.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-07-17 23:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well he has already blamed the Ukraine, of course. That didn't take long.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7