Donald Sterling Banned From NBA Games For Life

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 17:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Bismarck.Davorin said: »
The audio recordings don't seem to be a phone call. Idk where that comes from.

Here are recordings from Deadspin.com
Link
About halfway down the page there are three recordings, each about 5 mins long.

I feel like a creep for listening to that.

I guess scratch 'NSA dude' off the list of possible career moves.
Because you want to share to the world people's secrets, or you can't stand listening to people *** about other people?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-29 17:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Because you want to share to the world people's secrets, or you can't stand listening to people *** about other people?

it just feels icky listening to something that was meant to be private, to me.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 17:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

it just feels icky listening to something that was meant to be private, to me.
Most of my job is confidential. I wasn't too comfortable with some of the things I was told either.

Trust me, you get used to it after a while.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 17:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

My 2 cents (with interest) is:

What he said was shitty, but TMZ had no right releasing that information to the public.

But to be honest, he deserves his ban, and I applaud the new Commish for doing is job and doing it well.

So, tbh, I'm on the fence on this.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-29 17:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Aren't we all just slaves to somebody else?

Aint even gonna disagree with this.

Quote:
if getting paid millions a year to stay in shape and tour while playing a game is equivalent to slavery, paint me brown and call me toby

not disagreeing with what happened to him, but i think that analogy is going a bit far

Again, taking the one part of the analogy that doesn't fit the exact part of the subject and missing the point completely. Don't try to fit the square peg into the circular hole.

I thought that was the whole reason people post in this forum. /sarcasm

I can't even count the number of times certain posters have done the EXACT same thing to me and others. The best part is your all mad about someone being mean to people, but you love throwing around (ignorant and uneducated) when someone points out a flaw in your post.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 17:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Same for Snowden. Some call him a hero, others, a terrorist.

Who makes the call on what is right or wrong?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 17:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What he said was shitty, but TMZ had no right releasing that information to the public.

But to be honest, he deserves his ban, and I applaud the new Commish for doing is job and doing it well.

Why do you hate the First Amendment?
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-29 17:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Someones response to Donald Sterling LOL
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 17:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Why do you hate the First Amendment?
So, you are perfectly ok for people to be ***, as long as it calls out other ***.

What is private is private. He did not make these remarks public, somebody else did, for their own benefit (profit).

But if you think that falls under the First Amendment right, then you should never complain about the Patriot Act ever again.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 17:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Aren't we all just slaves to somebody else?

Aint even gonna disagree with this.

Quote:
if getting paid millions a year to stay in shape and tour while playing a game is equivalent to slavery, paint me brown and call me toby

not disagreeing with what happened to him, but i think that analogy is going a bit far

Again, taking the one part of the analogy that doesn't fit the exact part of the subject and missing the point completely. Don't try to fit the square peg into the circular hole.

I thought that was the whole reason people post in this forum. /sarcasm

I can't even count the number of times certain posters have done the EXACT same thing to me and others. The best part is your all mad about someone being mean to people, but you love throwing around (ignorant and uneducated) when someone points out a flaw in your post.

I'm not mad at all. Don't misunderstand. Just because a person is willing to discuss and point you in the right direction, and you may not like the way it is being served to you, does not mean I am upset. I am simply sharing what you asked me to do (You said to enlighten you, and I did).

Ignorant just means someone who doesn't know. Uneducated, well....No comment.

There weren't any flaws in the post. If you have a difference of opinion with the analogy, felt as if it was used offensively, or could not understand it entirely, that's on you. It doesn't make what I said flawed or inaccurate. If you failed to see how the two correlate after I explained it to you, see the bolded word above. Again, the main idea of the analogy was completely ignored, meanwhile, the one part that did not fit was exacerbated, making it look like everything related to former slavery should relate to the modern-da example I used.

Its funny, because people use the analogy of slavery all of the time. People say "I am a slave to my job". Musicians have spoken out about being a "slave" to the industry. A person can be "enslaved" to drugs. An unreasonable person would sit there and say that those metaphors are flawed and completely inaccurate, because they mock slavery.

But then its used to demonstrate the relationship that is present here, and the point is completely ignored. And you wonder why I use the words ignorant and uneducated?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 17:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, let's assume for a minute that you actually know what the First Amendment says. How does this not fall under freedom of the press?
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2014-04-29 18:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I would completely understand the league’s punitive stance if Donald Sterling used his team ownership as a platform to publicly promote this sort of nonsense, but that’s not what happened, so despite the man’s antiquated opinions, I think the league is overstepping… On a personal note, however, it doesn’t make any sense to me to ever let your private feelings get in the way of business- one would think the only color he would care about is green.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-04-29 18:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, but what about all the black people that laugh when i try to dunk ='(
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 18:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Azryel, he does only care about money.

These comments came from his ultra-gold-digging girlfriend taking pictures with Black celebrities in public. Then some of Sterling 'country club' buddies called him up and said "Tell her to cut that mess out".

He's associated with this gold digger, and ultimately, since him and his racist buddies are soo perturbed with being seen in 'public' with blacks, it bothered him. Because she is associated with him, and I guess her taking pictures with blacks is an extension of him. And putting it on her instagram definitely ticked him off.

He kept mentioning "he lives in a culture". If you didn't notice by now, he was talking about the culture of "White think this, blacks think this, etc".

In any event, this guy has some SERIOUS SELF-ESTEEM issues. He's really concerned about how he will be perceived by his circle, so much that he had just about broken up with his girlfriend over this whole disagreement. He's totally insecure.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 18:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

He would fire coaches and make them sue him in court to get the money they were owed, hoping they would just settle out for less. The guy is one of the most unethical business owners in the country, this is long overdue. And again, he organized the recordings of his conversations, no sympathy.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-29 18:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Who the heck records their convos anyways XD
(That's what the NSA is for) ;)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 18:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

How does this not fall under freedom of the press?
Wait, so TMZ is now considered the press?

Or are you lumping tabloid shows with the media now?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 18:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Legally TMZ is absolutely considering the press. Not that this conversation matters at all.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 18:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Why wouldn't they be? They deliver information to people across multiple media outlets. The perceived tastelessness or of their content isn't a factor.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 18:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, as long as they obtain your entertainment, they should be considered "the press"

I guess you will never need to worry about them reporting anything about you, so it's ok with you.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-29 18:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of you are missing how this came about:

1. Donald Sterling has a bad memory and records all his calls.

2. Donald Sterling is unfaithful to his wife.

3. Donald Sterling's wife is suing his girlfriend for 1.8M for all the lavish gifts Donald has given her.

4. Donald Sterling's girlfriend needing the money sold the story and her copies of the tape.

edit: this is all contained in the video I submitted. You'd also know that this doesn't even compare to what Sterling really does when it comes to acts of "racism".
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 18:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, as long as they obtain your entertainment, they should be considered "the press"

I guess you will never need to worry about them reporting anything about you, so it's ok with you.

They are considered the press and there is nothing you can do about it, ever. Move along.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 18:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

They are considered the press and there is nothing you can do about it, ever. Move along.
You can tell a lot about a person by the shows they watch and defend.

Since TMZ is generally considered trashy.....
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 18:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Who cares.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 18:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How will this affect our lives is the real question perhaps?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 18:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

How will this affect our lives is the real question perhaps?

It will have a great impact on Clippers fans, without question.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 18:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just curious about this need to qualify what Sterling said as if the fact that it was a "private" conversation somehow dampens his comments. Or that the reaction by the NBA was somehow unjustified when they're just acting in their own monetary best interests.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-29 18:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just curious about this need to qualify what Sterling said as if the fact that it was a "private" conversation somehow dampens his comments. Or that the reaction by the NBA was somehow unjustified when they're just acting in their own monetary best interests.
Old rich white guy making money off the backs of minorities is obviously the victim of racial prejudice.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 18:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The public tends to set a higher standard for people with a lot of money, yet claims that a lot of money doesn't make the person.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 19:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Aint about him having a lot of money as much as it is about his position in the company.

Just a few weeks ago it was the issue with that DuPont guy. Money talks...in more ways than one. For some, it can help them avoid heat. For others, it makes them a target. Im serious. If this was some Walmart Employee who said this crap, nobody would care.

He's set on a higher standard because 1) He's a billionaire, 2) he owns an NBA team, 3) He employs Blacks people and (dingdingdingding!!!) 4) He doesn't want black people at his games.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12