Donald Sterling Banned From NBA Games For Life

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-04-30 14:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
TMZ didn't record those calls, and they're protected from any criminal prosecution for releasing them by the 1st Amendment. His ex-girlfiend can claim ignorance as to how they got to TMZ and TMZ doesn't have to divulge its source. The piece of ***racist lost and there's nothing he can do about it.
I like this guy.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-30 14:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kingofbastok said: »
According to the Wiretapping Law, couldn't Sterling be guilty of breaking it then, unless he specifically gets consent to record the conversations from the other party?
Arranging to have every conversation recorded means that anyone he speaks with via telephonic device has to understand the implications of being recorded.

And after reading the actual penal code on this: No laws were broken
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-30 14:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not illegal to give the tapes away or sell them. TMZ doesn't have to give up their source. Though, I'm sure there is probably a very easily spotted paper trail.

It would be illegal if Sterling was unaware of the fact he was being taped, but since he records all his conversations, it is moot.

But being that none of this happened in a court of law, it is what is it is: He showed himself to be an *** and was shown the door.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-30 14:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make racism illegal and punishable of up to $1,000,000 fine. Then give a vague generic description of what racism is, without going into specifics. Problem solved.
[+]
 Leviathan.Syagin
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-04-30 14:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
TMZ didn't record those calls, and they're protected from any criminal prosecution for releasing them by the 1st Amendment. His ex-girlfiend can claim ignorance as to how they got to TMZ and TMZ doesn't have to divulge its source. The piece of ***racist lost and there's nothing he can do about it.
Ignorance as a legal defense? Wow.
Hell why not? Not being told right from wrong as a rich kid is.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-04-30 14:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make racism illegal and punishable of up to $1,000,000 fine. Then give a vague generic description of what racism is, without going into specifics. Problem solved.

As long as the fine for filing a false report is also set at $1,000,000.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-30 14:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if you were to ask Sterling, he would say the fine was actually $2,500,000.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-30 14:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

Well if you were to ask Sterling, he would say the fine was actually $2,500,000.
Touche.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-30 14:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok it needs to carry a prison sentence as well then.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-30 14:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »
There's a legal defense word for that. Can't remember it right now, but yeah if that's a legal defense, I can see why the proletarian needs it as well.
By fonewear 2014-04-30 14:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Should go to prison for watching the NBA...they ever hear of playing defense ?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-30 14:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a legal defense word for that. Can't remember it right now, but yeah if that's a legal defense, I can see why the proletarian needs it as well.

Affluenza!
[+]
 Leviathan.Syagin
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-04-30 15:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah can't think of the word for ish myself.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-30 15:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Vic got it. Affluenza!
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-30 15:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're argument is yeah this terrible idea should be put into effect because this other terrible idea was used and even though I complained about it I'm going to use it to push this terrible idea through because it fits what I want it to atm?

/sigh

Don't worry... thinking like that will always backfire on you.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-30 15:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
So you're argument is yeah this terrible idea should be put into effect because this other terrible idea was used and even though I complained about it I'm going to use it to push this terrible idea through because it fits what I want it to atm?

/sigh

Don't worry... thinking like that will always backfire on you.
God Bless America!
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-30 16:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha Pleebo trolling you guys so hard.

This has already been gone over. Private electronic recordings of two party conversations are treated as mail and it's illegal to break into someone's house, steal their mail and release it into the public domain. Both parties must consent prior to it being released into the public domain either in original form or a facsimile thereof. One party and a court order would also suffice. Even though this is all civil law so 1st amendment protections don't' apply, right to privacy does exist and this is definitely it.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-04-30 16:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Skimmed over the thread and this:

The method in which the tapes were obtained, illegal or otherwise, has no bearing on the consequences suffered by Sterling from a private organization. As reasoned multiple times before, they are separate matters.

is the most insightful and correct comment. The legality of how Sterling's views went public is absolutely irrelevant to Commissioner Silver's decision. The NBA was protecting the other owners in the league from being financially harmed by the association with Sterling's tarnished public image. They were acting within their rights. I actually think that Silver increased the league's value by doing this, as responses to Sterling's lifetime ban yesterday were generally very positive, from what I saw. Also, Sterling is a terrible franchise owner *even aside from past racial issues*. Giving him the axe pleased the vast majority of basketball fans.

I'm a little surprised that there's much debate in this topic. Donald Sterling is a billionaire. This isn't a Cliven Bundy, some nobody spewing hatred during his 15 minutes of fame. Sterling employs hundreds of people. It's not just that he has racist beliefs. He is in a position to actively discriminate against those under him, in the very sort of institutional racism that Chief Justice Roberts declared dead a few weeks ago.

For someone like Donald Sterling to hold these kind of beliefs, and to have allegedly acted on them in the past, makes him a reprehensible human being.
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2014-04-30 17:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

This has already been gone over. Private electronic recordings of two party conversations are treated as mail and it's illegal to break into someone's house, steal their mail and release it into the public domain. Both parties must consent prior to it being released into the public domain either in original form or a facsimile thereof. One party and a court order would also suffice. Even though this is all civil law so 1st amendment protections don't' apply, right to privacy does exist and this is definitely it.

Depends where you live.

Where I am, as long as one party involved (including the person doing the recording) knows the conversation is being recorded, you can do whatever you want with it.

I'm not sure where they were when the recording took place or what the laws involved there would be, and I remember hearing that at some point he acknowledged that he was being recorded but just didn't care.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-30 17:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Skimmed over the thread and this:

The method in which the tapes were obtained, illegal or otherwise, has no bearing on the consequences suffered by Sterling from a private organization. As reasoned multiple times before, they are separate matters.

is the most insightful and correct comment. The legality of how Sterling's views went public is absolutely irrelevant to Commissioner Silver's decision. The NBA was protecting the other owners in the league from being financially harmed by the association with Sterling's tarnished public image. They were acting within their rights. I actually think that Silver increased the league's value by doing this, as responses to Sterling's lifetime ban yesterday were generally very positive, from what I saw. Also, Sterling is a terrible franchise owner *even aside from past racial issues*. Giving him the axe pleased the vast majority of basketball fans.

I'm a little surprised that there's much debate in this topic. Donald Sterling is a billionaire. This isn't a Cliven Bundy, some nobody spewing hatred during his 15 minutes of fame. Sterling employs hundreds of people. It's not just that he has racist beliefs. He is in a position to actively discriminate against those under him, in the very sort of institutional racism that Chief Justice Roberts declared dead a few weeks ago.

For someone like Donald Sterling to hold these kind of beliefs, and to have allegedly acted on them in the past, makes him a reprehensible human being.

There isn't much debate, just a few people trying to focus on irrelevant pieces of the story. How the tapes were obtained doesn't justify decades of pathetic business practice.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-30 17:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

I don't believe I've ever contested any of this. If he wants to go after the ex, who, in all likelihood, is responsible for the recordings getting out either directly or indirectly, he can. It's not going to help him get his position back because the NBA doesn't give a *** how they were obtained. It's a PR disaster that could only have been resolved by shitcanning him.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-04-30 18:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

And it's not like the girlfriend has enough money to cover his losses anyway. He can take her for all she's worth, but she's worth peanuts compared to him.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-01 21:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leon Jenkins Resigns Over Move to Honor Sterling
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-01 21:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Good riddance, he was a terrible President of that chapter and should be embarrassed for giving Sterling, the worst owner in any sport, any kind of achievement award, much less 2.
By sumo 2014-05-01 22:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if Mr. Sterling is going to go after his ex gf in court. I did a little bit of research and while he does consent to having his conversations recorded, I can only assume that he does so with the reasonable expectation of privacy. I have reason to believe that she broke the law by selling those recordings to TMZ without his consent. As quoted from Newmediarights.org :

Are telephone calls confidential?
Telephone calls are confidential if the person reasonably expects privacy. For example, a call made from your house would be confidential. However, a cell phone conversation conducted while walking down a busy sidewalk is not confidential.

Can I share or publish my recordings with others?
Under California law, it is illegal to disclose any confidential information unlawfully obtained. Even if you do not disclose the recordings, you can still be liable for unlawfully obtaining the communications. You can disclose recordings you lawfully obtain.

I know that it won't get him his team back, but dragging this gold digger through the mud and suing her for the peanuts she's worth might be the start of repairing his image.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-01 22:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

His image is irreparable. I really don't care what he does after his career as an owner is over. The only thing he has left to do with his life is die. At 80, I'm guessing that won't take long. He cares too much about his own personal wealth to do anything good with it.
We have already talked about the legality of this, so not getting into it again.
By sumo 2014-05-01 22:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

We have already talked about the legality of this, so not getting into it again.

Sorry, I haven't really checked in since page 5. I'll have to do some reading later.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-01 22:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

His image is irreparable. I really don't care what he does after his career as an owner is over. The only thing he has left to do with his life is die. At 80, I'm guessing that won't take long. He cares too much about his own personal wealth to do anything good with it.

Well, he did donate large amounts of money to the NAACP, which was about to give him a lifetime achievement award. I find it ironic that a known racist was slated to get a prestigious NAACP award based on donations alone, but that's just the way things work I guess. The NAACP openly acknowledges this problem, though.

Source:
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/01/NAACP-We-Ignored-Sterling-s-Racism-Because-of-Large-Donations
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-01 22:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Tax write-offs. And I already shared my disgust with the NAACP.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-01 23:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

He has cancer, apparently. Karma is a ***.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12