Donald Sterling Banned From NBA Games For Life

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-05-01 23:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
His image is irreparable. I really don't care what he does after his career as an owner is over. The only thing he has left to do with his life is die. At 80, I'm guessing that won't take long. He cares too much about his own personal wealth to do anything good with it.
We have already talked about the legality of this, so not getting into it again.

Well, he did donate large amounts of money to the NAACP, which was about to give him a lifetime achievement award. I find it ironic that a known racist was slated to get a prestigious NAACP award based on donations alone, but that's just the way things work I guess. The NAACP openly acknowledges this problem, though.

Source:
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/01/NAACP-We-Ignored-Sterling-s-Racism-Because-of-Large-Donations
Yeah apparently them along side with other institutions are returning his donations.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-02 07:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

His ex is apparently an airhead.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-02 12:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
His image is irreparable. I really don't care what he does after his career as an owner is over. The only thing he has left to do with his life is die. At 80, I'm guessing that won't take long. He cares too much about his own personal wealth to do anything good with it.
We have already talked about the legality of this, so not getting into it again.

Well, he did donate large amounts of money to the NAACP, which was about to give him a lifetime achievement award. I find it ironic that a known racist was slated to get a prestigious NAACP award based on donations alone, but that's just the way things work I guess. The NAACP openly acknowledges this problem, though.

Source:
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/01/NAACP-We-Ignored-Sterling-s-Racism-Because-of-Large-Donations
Yeah apparently them along side with other institutions are returning his donations.

EDIT:

Quote:
Leon Jenkins, president of the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP, resigned Thursday after questions were raised about his association with disgraced racist L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling, whom the NAACP was set to honor with two lifetime achievement awards, one now rescinded and the other cancelled.

“The legacy, history and reputation of the NAACP is more important to me than the presidency,” Jenkins wrote in his resignation letter. “In order to separate the Los Angeles NAACP and the NAACP from the negative exposure I have caused the NAACP, I respectfully resign my position as president of the Los Angeles NAACP.”

But questions remain about the 'don’t ask, don’t tell' relationship Jenkins seemed to have with Sterling, repeatedly honoring the Clippers owner despite his apparent widespread reputation as a racist—including paying millions to settle a 2009 lawsuit brought by the Justice Department that claimed Sterling refused to rent apartments to African-Americans and Latinos.

Many perceived the honors as a reward for Sterling donations of about $45,000 since 2007 to the L.A. chapter. The NAACP, a strong LGBT ally, said it is "developing guidelines for its branches to help them in their award selection process." But, according to the New York Times, the national group has serious financial troubles of its own.

The New York Times also reports that Jenkins has a shady past:

Mr. Jenkins, who became a judge in a Detroit district court in 1983, was removed from the bench in 1991 and disbarred in Michigan in 1994 for soliciting or accepting bribes that included money and firearms to dismiss traffic citations, misstating his address to lower his insurance premiums, encouraging a person to commit perjury and other ethical violations, according to Michigan court records.

After a federal investigation led to an indictment, Mr. Jenkins was acquitted. But the Michigan Supreme Court, which oversaw Mr. Jenkins’s work, conducted its own investigation and concluded that from 1984 to 1987, he “systematically and routinely sold his office and his public trust.” The court removed him from the bench, and he was subsequently disbarred in the state.

Mr. Jenkins moved to California but was prevented from practicing law in the state in 2001 because of his problems in Michigan. The state bar has twice rejected his applications for reinstatement, most recently last year, on the grounds that he “failed to establish his rehabilitation from his past misconduct or that he presently possesses the necessary moral qualifications for reinstatement.”

While NBA team owners conferered on a conference call about whether and how to force Sterling to sell the Clippers, USA Today reports that Sterling may well refuse to sell and spend years in litigation to hold onto the team. However, in a soap opera-like twist, late yesterday reports surfaced that Sterling is battling prostate cancer

- See more at: http://www.frontiersla.com/frontiers-blog/2014/05/02/naacpla-president-resigns-over-awards-to-clippers-owner-donald-sterling#sthash.HInCo5Dn.dpuf
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-02 12:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh snap! Maybe I can get a NAACP lifetime achievement award for watching the Clippers play basketball.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-07 16:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So, where's the outrage on Michael Jordan?

Or is racism only when you don't like black people?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-07 16:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would there be outrage at a black teen that grew up around the KKK and persecution in high school 40 years ago? Hmm?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-07 16:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Because he admitted that he was a racist and for all we know he still is.

Not that I really care, I just hate the double standards people (like you) have with racism.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-07 16:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So, where's the outrage on Michael Jordan?

Or is racism only when you don't like black people?
Sad. Even for you.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-07 16:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh look, another double standard.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-07 16:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

He hates white people so much that he married one.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-07 16:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sterling hates black people so much he hired a team of them to play for him.

So, what's your point?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-07 16:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no comparison between the two, so you can hate double standards as much as you want, but this isn't one. Cute try tho.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-07 16:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So, do you two defend Jessie Jackson then?

No replies automatically means you do defend his actions. Just warning you.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-07 16:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If I did, would the world end? I couldn't care less what Jesse Jackson does. Again, there is no comparison between a victimized teen and a lifelong racist. Jump to another topic tho, if you are that desperate.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-07 16:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I do. Kill whitey! Brown power! Black panthers assemble and all that!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-07 16:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup, double standards all around. Figures.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-07 16:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

K if you are done spamming, we will update this thread when Sterling gets voted off the island, tomorrow I think.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-07 16:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right. Once I get that time machine working, I'll beam back to to 1970s North Carolina and give that Jordan boy a piece of my mind. I just have to take care not to prevent my own parents from meeting lest I disappear from the timeline completely.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-08 21:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Donald Sterling denies being a racist
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-08 21:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Good for him!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-08 21:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Good for him!
It's another 'leaked' phone conversation too.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-08 21:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe he should stop having his phone calls recorded and read the NBA by-laws.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-08 21:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he's attempting to fight fire with fire, or something along those lines.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-08 22:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I really care, I just hate the double standards people (like you) have with racism.
Do you not understand what past tense is?
Quote:
“So I threw a soda at her,” he says. “I was really rebelling. I considered myself a racist at the time. Basically, I was against all white people.”
Fox news left this part out of the article they quoted from
Quote:
He says his mother convinced him he could not go through life consumed by racial hatred.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-08 22:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fox news quoting out of context? That's the first I've heard of such things...shocked!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-08 22:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

Do you no understand what past tense is?
Quote:
“So I threw a soda at her,” he says. “I was really rebelling. I considered myself a racist at the time. Basically, I was against all white people.”
Fox news left this part out of the article they quoted from
Quote:
He says his mother convinced him he could not go through life consumed by racial hatred.

I personally don't have any beef with Jordan, as I too believe people can change. However, "past tense" stances have gotten people in trouble on many occasions. There is a double standard, but the particular case KN picked wasn't the best example.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-08 22:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you saying you're mad about Paula Dean?
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-08 22:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Are you saying you're mad about Paula Dean?

Not one bit, but thanks for providing an example to back up my statement.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-08 22:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't exactly correlate but you're welcome.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-08 22:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
They don't exactly correlate but you're welcome.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12