Donald Sterling Banned From NBA Games For Life

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
First Page 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-29 15:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Can't he be sued though?
Sued for what? He sure wasn't firing his slaves players for being black.
 Bismarck.Davorin
Server: Bismarck
user: Davorin
By Bismarck.Davorin 2014-04-29 15:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The audio recordings don't seem to be a phone call. Idk where that comes from.

Here are recordings from Deadspin.com
Link
About halfway down the page there are three recordings, each about 5 mins long.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 15:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok that's where the anger derives from. Nobody can touch his money.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-29 15:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

This is all you need to know for the subject.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-29 15:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Those eyes. LOL
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 15:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Or it comes from the fact he made his money off the talents of people he apparently hates. Or it's because the organization he was affiliated with didn't seem to care until it threatened to cost them too much money.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 15:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Or it comes from the fact he made his money off the talents of people he apparently hates. Or it's because the organization he was affiliated with didn't seem to care until it threatened to cost them too much money.
It's a huge web of money and hate off the backs of those he hated and now the people that made his money hate him for him hating them.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-29 15:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Banning people for racist comments made in private?

They better start banning almost everyone then because a lot of people make comments like that in private. I'd like to meet a person that has never said anything racist in their life be it on purpose or out of ignorance. (Doesn't make it ok though)

EDIT: P.S. I didn't read all the story :P
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 15:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly think it was the latter.

Baron Davis (former clipper player) went on record saying this same owner chided him with Racial Rhetoric during practices etc, but nobody listened to him. This guy has a history of racial behavior, and the NBA did nothing. In fact, all those black athletes who are now calling him out and claimed to have known way back when, also did nothing.

The NBA decided to act to save their face moreso than to uphold morality. Again, the color everyone cares the most about is green.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-29 15:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Banning people for racist comments made in private?

They better start banning almost everyone then because a lot of people make comments like that in private. I'd like to meet a person that has never said anything racist in their life be it on purpose or out of ignorance. (Doesn't make it ok though)

EDIT: P.S. I didn't read all the story :P

What part of PR move aren't you reading clearly? If you want to don white sheets and burn crosses in your free time, go ahead. Just don't get caught. Just. Don't. Get. Caught.

Large organizations don't give a ***about morals. They care about image and money. Keeping a racist around in a sport that attracts tons of black people is a bad move that will only further distract from making bank. Keep one racist blowhard or appear like a savior to brown people everywhere with a 2.5m fine + ban?
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-29 15:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

I honestly think it was the latter.

Baron Davis (former clipper player) went on record saying this same owner chided him with Racial Rhetoric during practices etc, but nobody listened to him. This guy has a history of racial behavior, and the NBA did nothing. In fact, all those black athletes who are now calling him out and claimed to have known way back when, also did nothing.

The NBA decided to act to save their face moreso than to uphold morality. Again, the color everyone cares the most about is green.
Be like Stephen Colbert. He doesn't see Black or White, he only sees green! Everything is green!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 15:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Banning people for racist comments made in private? They better start banning almost everyone then because a lot of people make comments like that in private. I'd like to meet a person that has never said anything racist in their life be it on purpose or out of ignorance. (Doesn't make it ok though)

Again, seriously deluded.

To think that this person's "private comments" should have no consequence, especially something as particularly hyprocritcal and disrespectful as this, is nothing but ignorant.

Imagine a person who owned a few Gay Bars and clubs in the city of Las Vegas. How would you react if you found out this person was "privately" an anti-gay hate-mongering scumbag? You don't see the hypocrisy in that?

This man has no issue employing blacks, paying them, buying them cars and homes, supporting them, as long as they make him rich. That's exactly what slave owners did, and they reasoned the same.

If you are in this position, you are accountable to a higher standard. If he was a bank teller and had these views, not one single ***would be given. but his position and relative closeness to the situation (as well as rep for the league) all hangs in the balance.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-29 15:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not defending the racist jerk.

I'm behind the ban on him especially considering who he is and his position.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-29 15:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I was surprised when I found out this guy was in Basketball and with the demographic that makes up a large part of basketball I was like waitwut XD
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-29 16:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Banning people for racist comments made in private? They better start banning almost everyone then because a lot of people make comments like that in private. I'd like to meet a person that has never said anything racist in their life be it on purpose or out of ignorance. (Doesn't make it ok though)

Again, seriously deluded.

To think that this person's "private comments" should have no consequence, especially something as particularly hyprocritcal and disrespectful as this, is nothing but ignorant.

Imagine a person who owned a few Gay Bars and clubs in the city of Las Vegas. How would you react if you found out this person was "privately" an anti-gay hate-mongering scumbag? You don't see the hypocrisy in that?

This man has no issue employing blacks, paying them, buying them cars and homes, supporting them, as long as they make him rich. That's exactly what slave owners did, and they reasoned the same.

If you are in this position, you are accountable to a higher standard. If he was a bank teller and had these views, not one single ***would be given. but his position and relative closeness to the situation (as well as rep for the league) all hangs in the balance.

I was totally unaware slaves lived in mansions, drove around in style and made huge amounts of money.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-29 16:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
I was totally unaware
We know.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 16:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I was totally unaware slaves lived in mansions, drove around in style and made huge amounts of money.

Ah, I was waiting for this uneducated comment to pop up, as it clearly takes my comments out of context, and completely ignores the comparison.

Slave owners supplied food, shelter, homes, and protection for the entire family. Meanwhile, Master was in the house profitting off of the backs of his slaves. Yes, the slave owner (master) hates blacks. he wasn't inviting them to have dinner with him or go play golf at the country club. They were there to serve him and make him money.

Times have changed, and though the financial compensation may be the clear difference, for one moment, open your eyes and read the transcript/listen to the audio. This man has the same primitive mindset and really believes he's doing blacks a favor. Yet, he hates them. He's just willing to tolerate them as long as it makes him revenue.

So yes, even though Millions of dollars is being paid out to these players, it pales in comparison to the amount he is profitting off of these players. Adrian Peterson made the same comments a few seasons ago, and people said the same thing you said.

Its called Modern-Day slavery, and big-time corparations, prisons, and fortune-500 companies get away with it every day. You just don't see it because money is involved. That, or you're probably not very attune to the issues going on in America.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 16:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

That, or you're probably not very attune to the issues going on in America.

Go with this.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-29 16:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Ah, I was waiting for this uneducated comment to pop up, as it clearly takes my comments out of context, and completely ignores the comparison.

Slave owners supplied food, shelter, homes, and protection for the entire family. Meanwhile, Master was in the house profitting off of the backs of his slaves. Yes, the slave owner (master) hates blacks. he wasn't inviting them to have dinner with him or go play golf at the country club. They were there to serve him and make him money.

Times have changed, and though the financial compensation may be the clear difference, for one moment, open your eyes and read the transcript/listen to the audio. This man has the same primitive mindset and really believes he's doing blacks a favor. Yet, he hates them. He's just willing to tolerate them as long as it makes him revenue.

So yes, even though Millions of dollars is being paid out to these players, it pales in comparison to the amount he is profitting off of these players. Adrian Peterson made the same comments a few seasons ago, and people said the same thing you said.

Its called Modern-Day slavery, and big-time corparations, prisons, and fortune-500 companies get away with it every day. That, or you're probably not very attune to the issues going on in America.

Sounds like he does everything that all business owners do nowadays to everyone. Black white red green, doesn't matter what color you are. The only difference is he SAID something against the status quote. My point is these players are the farthest you can get from a slave, so please do not compare them. You just don't see it because race is involved. That, or you're probably not very attune to the working environment going on in America.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 16:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 16:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, you're taking comments out of context and refusing to see a correlation. Not my problem.

There so many holes in your logic that it actually defines your ignorance. You have no idea how many organizations prosper or are directly benefitting off of slavery, blacks, minorities/inner city/etc communities, and who employ the same practices today and term it "legal". You can call it the "working environment" in America, but that's just another topic you are not even qualified to discuss, based on your comments above.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 16:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol'd
By Altimaomega 2014-04-29 16:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, you're taking comments out of context and refusing to see a correlation. Not my problem.

There so many holes in your logic that it actually defines your ignorance. You have no idea how many organizations prosper or are directly benefitting off of slavery, blacks, minorities/inner city/etc communities, and who employ the same practices today and term it "legal". You can call it the "working environment" in America, but that's just another topic you are not even qualified to discuss, based on your comments above.

Please enlighten me on how you comparing NBA basketball players to slaves is taking your comments out of context.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-29 17:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Please enlighten me on how you comparing NBA basketball players to slaves is taking your comments out of context.
By not running.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-29 17:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Davorin said: »
The audio recordings don't seem to be a phone call. Idk where that comes from.

Here are recordings from Deadspin.com
Link
About halfway down the page there are three recordings, each about 5 mins long.

I feel like a creep for listening to that.

I guess scratch 'NSA dude' off the list of possible career moves.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-04-29 17:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

if getting paid millions a year to stay in shape and tour while playing a game is equivalent to slavery, paint me brown and call me toby

not disagreeing with what happened to him, but i think that analogy is going a bit far
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 17:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I was referring to the relationship the owner has with his players, not the state of the players in regards to them being slaves. I didn't refer to the players as being "slaves", but I more than once referred to this treatment and system as being "primitive" - referring to the relationship the owner has towards the players, and his hatred towards them.

I'm actually disappointed I had to spell this out for you. I even bolded where I said "Modern-Day Slavery". When people use the work Modern to relate to something in the past, its not necessarily exactly like the former (for instance, calling a city a "Modern Day Sodom and Gomorrah does not make it the actual city). Its a simile, a metaphor, a comparison. In some cases, it compares two things that may not be very similar.

But hey, like I said on the first post replying to you - uneducated. I'm sure if someone woke up and said "Good Morning, Sunshine!" You'd chide "But I'm not the sun....?"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 17:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Again, you're taking comments out of context and refusing to see a correlation. Not my problem. There so many holes in your logic that it actually defines your ignorance. You have no idea how many organizations prosper or are directly benefitting off of slavery, blacks, minorities/inner city/etc communities, and who employ the same practices today and term it "legal". You can call it the "working environment" in America, but that's just another topic you are not even qualified to discuss, based on your comments above.
By not running.

TOO SOON BRO
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 17:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Aren't we all just slaves to somebody else?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 17:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Aren't we all just slaves to somebody else?

Aint even gonna disagree with this.

Quote:
if getting paid millions a year to stay in shape and tour while playing a game is equivalent to slavery, paint me brown and call me toby

not disagreeing with what happened to him, but i think that analogy is going a bit far

Again, taking the one part of the analogy that doesn't fit the exact part of the subject and missing the point completely. Don't try to fit the square peg into the circular hole.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12