Donald Sterling Banned From NBA Games For Life

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
Donald Sterling banned from NBA Games for life
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-04-29 14:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

What are the conditions of the leaked phone call? Did he or his girlfriend record and share it? If it was obtained through any other method, it's a bit ridiculous. No link in OP, halp.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 14:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
See this is the information I didn't know. Go after him for things you can prove, not private conversations that get leaked.

About as surprising to see you defend him as it was finding out Cliven Bundy was a racist
You're confusing defending someone (have to know the person first, I don't know anything about basketball) with invasion of privacy.
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
By Kalyna Maimhov 2014-04-29 14:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
What are the conditions of the leaked phone call? Did he or his girlfriend record and share it? If it was obtained through any other method, it's a bit ridiculous. No link in OP, halp.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-29 14:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
1996: Sued for sexual harrassment, exchanged money for sexual favors with many different women. Settled out of court.

2009: Sued for refusing to rent out property to Hispanics and blacks, and to any families with kids. He settled out for 2.75m.

2010: Accused of heckling his own player, Baron Davis, during games. Allegedly called Davis a "***, the devil, crazy, and other profane names." NBA didn't do anything.

2011: Sued by former player and Clippers GM Elgin Baylor for racial discrimination and harrassment, won the lawsuit.

2014: Being sued by his wife for allowing his girlfriend to embezzle 2m from the team.

All of this while being an NBA owner, his peers have given the commissioner their blessing to vote him off the island. Finally.

That's why Kareem Abdul Jabar's piece that was published yesterday was so awesome.

"This was the straw that broke the camels back?, everyone knew he was racist for years, but an illegal phone recording was the thing that made you all object?"

Also:

That's Sterling's daughter in the middle (fake Brazzer's logo).
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-04-29 14:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
something something free speech doesn't dictate how a company chooses to do business. the punishment is fair for the particular offense, butinadequite for the person. he'll still make piles of money, probably more now that he'll be forced to let qualified people run his franchise.

Indeed. Many times people who tout "Freedom of Speech" whenever someone suffers a job loss due to their words tend to forget about "Freedom of Association."

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

She claims she recorded him with his permission, essentially because he's an old coot who tends to forget what he says. He claims he didn't know he was being recorded.

If he is correct then she has committed a crime since CA is a "two-party consent" state.
[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2014-04-29 14:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You can say what you like and you are are still accountable for what you say especially as a representive of a group like the NBA. You have the right to be a ignorant ahole and the rest of world can hold that against you.

This ahole got the clippers for 15 Million will sell for over a billion crying all the way to the bank.....
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 14:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I'm a little perplexed here, I don't pay attention to basketball at all. So a leaked phone call from a private conservation with an ex girlfriend can get you fired?

Are we going to have another Duck Dynasty conversation?

You have the right to free speech, but you're responsible for what you say. And if your sanctioning body feels you're hurting business with your speech, they can shitcan you in a heartbeat.

This guy, sadly, gets to keep making money of the franchise on the backs of people he -- apparently -- hates.
It was a private phone call though. Like I said (and will have to repeat) I don't know anything about basketball.
Duck Dynasty was an article made public. Huge difference.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 14:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So free speech now includes private conversations with a girlfriend (now an ex). Wow.
By kenshynofshiva 2014-04-29 14:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a little perplexed here, I don't pay attention to basketball at all. So a leaked phone call from a private conservation with an ex girlfriend can get you fired?

You have the right to free speech, but you're responsible for what you say. And if your sanctioning body feels you're hurting business with your speech, they can shitcan you in a heartbeat.

This guy, sadly, gets to keep making money of the franchise on the backs of people he -- apparently -- hates.
It was a private phone call though. Like I said (and will have to repeat) I don't know anything about basketball.

Once it went public it doesn't matter in the least.......
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 14:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't matter if it was private. It got out and there's no stuffing that racist genie back in its bottle.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 14:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
That's why Kareem Abdul Jabar's piece that was published yesterday was so awesome.

"This was the straw that broke the camels back?, everyone knew he was racist for years, but an illegal phone recording was the thing that made you all object?"

Yeah, when I heard his comments, I wasn't surprised, and neither was anyone that knew anything about Sterling.

As for the rhetoric about how his recordings were obtained, he himself arranges for his conversations to be recorded, all of them. He is old and forgetful. And he admitted that it was him on the tape, so, no sympathy whatsoever.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Konvict
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2014-04-29 14:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Very happy on the decision. Guy was an ignorant racist moron, what he said wasn't right. He saw his players as slaves trying to win him an NBA championship like it's the slave era. This is a bigger issue then basketball itself. Silver laying down the law like a boss! NBA playoffs tonight leggggooo /excited. Best playoffs so far in NBA history. Has had the most OT's in the first 10 days.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-29 14:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the same guy who refers to Basketball courts as "Cotton Fields" isn't it? It's hard to have sympathy for that, no matter how hard I was laughing when I first heard about it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 14:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

kenshynofshiva said: »

Once it went public it doesn't matter in the least.......
Is a leaked phone call legal?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 14:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Doesn't matter if it was private. It got out and there's no stuffing that racist genie back in its bottle.
Unfortunately that's the truth.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-29 14:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

When he arranges for it to be recorded by the person he is talking to, I would think its legal.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-29 14:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we going to have another Duck Dynasty conversation? You have the right to free speech, but you're responsible for what you say. And if your sanctioning body feels you're hurting business with your speech, they can shitcan you in a heartbeat. This guy, sadly, gets to keep making money of the franchise on the backs of people he -- apparently -- hates.
It was a private phone call though. Like I said (and will have to repeat) I don't know anything about basketball. Duck Dynasty was an article made public. Huge difference.

I hate basketball, so this is the first I've heard anything about this. Had I know his history, I too would agree that this shouldn't even be an issue because he should have been shitcanned years ago for bigger problems.

But the bottom line is that people are frequently held accountable for things they said in private. Especially if they're rich, famous or both. Pretty sure that's like, rule #1 when you join the rich white guy club.

Look at Mel Gibson's rants, ffs.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 14:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

When he arranges for it to be recorded by the person he is talking to, I would think its legal.
These are all the details left out of the story, lol.

Burn his money then!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-29 14:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If it was obtained illegally then the ex-girlfriend will get to face those consequences in court but it doesn't absolve Sterling from the fall-out of a private organization such as the NBA.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-29 14:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's unfortunate that someone has to pay for being a scumbag? Really?

Really?

Screw that noise.
[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2014-04-29 14:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess you can't get the fact that once the information is leaked rather legal or not the reputation of the league becomes an issue. The issue isn't the fact of legal or not solely the cat is out of the bag and he is seen for who he is period. Not worthy to wear the brand.

If he was talking like he was a pedo and taking care of your kids would you just look the other way cause it was illegal wire tap???
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-29 14:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The invasion of privacy is a separate issue.

Put it this way: I call up someone and talk very seriously about planning to blow up city hall on a certain date. I happen to be famous enough that some paparazzo sets up to record my call. He then leaks that information. While he is guilty of invasion of privacy and whatever the legal term for wire-tapping or unlawful recording may be, I'm also still guilty of planning an act of terrorism.

Obviously I'm using an extreme example as it is mostly legal to have racist opinions, but the NBA isn't breaking any laws by telling him to stay the *** out of their stadiums, either, so it's a wash on that count.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 15:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys seriously don't see the hypocrisy of Sterling's "Private" comments? Does not matter if its in his head or in the privacy of his own home, the guy literally has views that are so primitive, that despite that not being a crime, it presents a workplace in where a large portion of the employees (and the rest of the league as well) are extremely uncomfortable working and dealing with this man.

They make him millions of dollars, and here he is referring to black people in Israel like "dogs" - He says he "buys them cars and homes" - this guy's views are SO PLANTATION/GOOD OL' BOY/PRIMITIVE RACIST, that even though holding those views are not a crime, its absolutely inappropriate to be in that position (Owner of an NBA team in LA, where the majority of employees and players are black) and have those views.

This man sent the message: its ok to be racist, tolerate blacks and minorities, and profit off of them, as long as in public you are politically correct, but in private, you can view them as "the enemy". The message that sends to th NBA is bone-chilling, and it tarnishes their image collectively.

This was a business decision.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-29 15:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Who watches the NBA ?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 15:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's unfortunate that someone has to pay for being a scumbag? Really?

Really?

Screw that noise.
Someone has a lot of bottled up anger, lol.

I was referring to your comment about the genie in the bottle, hence the quote. Anything else is in your head, which is now public.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 15:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
The invasion of privacy is a separate issue.

Put it this way: I call up someone and talk very seriously about planning to blow up city hall on a certain date. I happen to be famous enough that some paparazzo sets up to record my call. He then leaks that information. While he is guilty of invasion of privacy and whatever the legal term for wire-tapping or unlawful recording may be, I'm also still guilty of planning an act of terrorism.

Obviously I'm using an extreme example as it is mostly legal to have racist opinions, but the NBA isn't breaking any laws by telling him to stay the *** out of their stadiums, either, so it's a wash on that count.
Unfortunately this is the case as well. If I get mad and say that to someone, or say I'm gonna bomb you sarcastically, it does not matter. No proof, just conviction based off a phone call, in your example (to clarify).
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-29 15:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In my example, I really was planning a crime. That was the point: I was doing something that made me culpable.

The paranoid fears about the NSA busting down doors if you happen to say "Osama bin Laden" over the telephone was NOT what I was referring to.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kingofbastok
By Lakshmi.Kingofbastok 2014-04-29 15:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm happy Adam Silver & the NBA decided to ban Sterling & are trying to force him to sell the team, the sad part is he's probably happy about the punishment because it's almost a total win for him. If he's forced to sell the team, he will make a bunch of money (he paid $12.5 mil for the team and it's worth $550+ mil according to Forbes) and with the banning he no longer has to be around black people. The only thing he's probably upset about is the $2.5 mil fine, even though it isn't much for a billionare.

To me, he seems like a greedy person who's also pretty racist (he used to be an ambulance chaser & he used to refuse to pay big salaries to Clipper players in order to keep profits up) & I'm happy he'll be gone.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-29 15:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So to sum this up, this guy, Sterling, has had a history of racism. This phone call was just a nail in the coffin for the public. Makes sense now that people put down the pitchforks and torches and explained the situation.

Sucks he won't lose any sleep over it though, or money. Can't he be sued though?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-29 15:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kingofbastok said: »
While I'm happy Adam Silver & the NBA decided to ban Sterling & are trying to force him to sell the team, the sad part is he's probably happy about the punishment because it's almost a total win for him. If he's forced to sell the team, he will make a bunch of money (he paid $12.5 mil for the team and it's worth $550+ mil according to Forbes) and with the banning he no longer has to be around black people. The only thing he's probably upset about is the $2.5 mil fine, even though it isn't much for a billionare.

To me, he seems like a greedy person who's also pretty racist (he used to be an ambulance chaser & he used to refuse to pay big salaries to Clipper players in order to keep profits up) & I'm happy he'll be gone.

Forgive me KoB, but you're SERIOUSLY deluded here. "NO longer has to deal with black people?" You're totally lost here. This man is a primitive racist, like that of Paula Dean, etc. His views are "I have absolutely no issue with blacks, as long as they make me money". He wants nothing to do with them in public. In fact, he'll shake Magic Johnson's hand, get all kinds of Lifetime achievement awards and whatnot in the public eye around blacks, but wants absolutely nothing to do with them.

People Like Dean and Donald do not have a problem employing blacks or being around them, as long as it makes them money. In fact, they have no problem with blacks serving them and exploiting them, because money is green.

Stop living in the primitive racist mindset where people think that a racist = "eww blacks". Thats not the current mindset towards racism. Now, its all about exploiting and profitting off of others while holding your own culutural hatred within yourself.

Its not a win for him either way. He's not going to get the huge amount of money you wuold think. So many endorsements have been dropped, and the team's image has been tarnished. He's not walking away unscathed from this, and judging from his ban, that's probably going to trickle into other areas of his life.

However, his family will be golden and set for life.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12