First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Asura.Tsm
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-24 18:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
Would some one EiLi5 why a replacement addon is way more work or impossible? J/w if anyone has considered just making something new? Will add I am a complete idiot in programming, coding and whatever else this would entail. I am just curious and not asking anyone to do anything.

so just like any ffxi related project the reason is as follows:

generally they don't think they would get support from the community once the old project(in this case guildwork) is fixed by the absentee parents that maintain them because people prefer to stick with what they know.

to put it simply, and to give you a real world example.. someone could make a complete guildwork replacement and some people might use it, but most wouldn't, and the ones who do some would switch back to guildwork once guildwork is fixed.

you can look at this example with windower/ashita. the windower team is very absentee. out of the people who have worked on the project and the main core very few of them pay any attention to ffxi at all. generally they only fix things when people *** excessively and that's why windower 5 has been in the pipes for decade. meanwhile, ashita is ran by people who still are invested in FFXIs interest in some shape or form but the vast majority of people still stick with windower.

tldr blame yourself
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2021-08-24 18:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »
tldr blame yourself

I re-read your post a few times and I still can’t find the correlation here...
[+]
 Phoenix.Enochroot
Server: Phoenix
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2021-08-24 22:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I took it to mean that it's because we're not chipping in on the work, which is a fair point.

I took a break from the game for some time and tried to cancel my guildwork premium account and they kept on billing me, no replies from support, etc. year after year. think by the 4th year of chargebacks my bank put a stop to it for good. but that kind of poor stewardship doesn't engender trust or build community.

I'm an oldschool windower user so based on tsm's post I went to look at ashita and what they're up to these days. Seems pretty disorganized. Changelog last updated 3 years ago. Wiki last updated 4 years ago. Github issue tracker with all of 2 issues in it. Poking around a bit more, found the self-hosted git repo and that at least looks current.

Can I complain? Yeah but it'd be a shitty thing to do since I'm not putting in any time/effort to fix it. So I'm part of who's to blame and likely you are, too. :)
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-08-25 00:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Use vanilla FFXI.

Make your own webpage and upload all of your accomplishments to it.

Be the #1 player on your own blog.

Plot twist:

Double plot twist:
[+]
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2021-08-25 07:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Guildwork is no longer a working plugin it seems, none of my stuff have updated in the last month, are there any plan on fixing it ?

Also it won't let me delete a char from the array to re-add it or recognize that it is the same char name / server as before.

Very wanky
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2021-08-25 08:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kuroganashi said: »
Also it won't let me delete a char

You need to log into the SE account management and delete your character data from there. This will help everyone.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-25 08:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Enochroot said: »
I took it to mean that it's because we're not chipping in on the work, which is a fair point

yeah, but basically all you have to do to chip in is support the new product, which never happens in this community lol.

fair point on ashita, somewhere in the last 5 years atom0s probably lost steam due to people sticking to the dinosaur that is windower 4.

all the credit to the windower team for the work they have previously done, i don't mean my posts to be a slight on them but they haven't "worked" on the project in 10 years and saying otherwise is an outright falsehood. i'm saying this as a windower user so i too am to blame.

edit: actually looking at his discord hes still updating it regularly
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-08-25 09:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't want to get too deep into Ashita vs Windower, because there are numerous legitimate reasons to prefer windower(even v4). The biggest, by far, is active community. More users means more community-developed addons, more communtiy support for sharing files, etc. Despite my personal complaints about gearswap becoming a bot framework, it's much better than Ashitacast because lua is a full featured language and Ashitacast is frankensteined *** that should've never existed.

With that said, Atom0s responds to any legitimate bug report within 24 hours, and usually fixes the problem within a week(if not sooner). If you produce a crash dump, it will be looked at immediately. There are known crashes that have been in windower4 for over 5 years. I respond to bug reports in real time on discord for any of my plugins for Ashita4, and typically fix within 24 hours. Ashita4 core's repo(which does not encompass individual plugins or addons) has over 300 commits in 2021(not public, so understandable if people outside our discord don't think there is development going on).

With all of this in mind, Ashita4 has barely any active users. Even those who already use Ashita3 don't want to change over because they are accustomed to what they have. So, it's perfectly understandable that nobody wants to establish a new standard for Guildwork. Why write a whole new interface that nobody will use? The game's playerbase is small, and even if it isn't actively shrinking, most players are older and set in their ways.

The real tragedy is that the bulk of the work behind guildwork is in their front-end, which is seemingly functional. Creating replacements for all of the character tracking would be extremely easy for anyone knowledgable about ffxi internals, but gatekeepers have decided against allowing anyone who has the time and ability to fix it to do so.

I mean no offense to Rooks, as it is not his to share, and he puts in the time he is able. However, Scragg is almost entirely absentee and these issues have persisted for years. You can go back literally 3 years ago to find myself and others offering to fix it for them and being told no or entirely ignored. Meanwhile, he is sitting there collecting ad revenue and even guildwork premium subscriptions while the community is set on this platform and unable to repair the features as they slowly degrade.
[+]
 Asura.Epigram
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2021-08-25 11:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

For anyone that cares, I wrote a framework a while back that can capture shouts and write the 20 most recent to an html table.

The upload of shouts is done through my shout_ml widower 4 plugin, which admittedly never got much traction. If there is any community desire to get this working again let me know.

The biggest issue is just having some mules running the plugins so I can get the shouts.

shout_ml (GitHub)
[+]
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2021-08-25 12:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Asura.Kuroganashi said: »
Also it won't let me delete a char

You need to log into the SE account management and delete your character data from there. This will help everyone.

LOL Bug off mate, not looking for your childish ***, the troll threads are elsewhere.
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2021-08-25 12:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Epigram said: »
For anyone that cares, I wrote a framework a while back that can capture shouts and write the 20 most recent to an html table.

The upload of shouts is done through my shout_ml widower 4 plugin, which admittedly never got much traction. If there is any community desire to get this working again let me know.

The biggest issue is just having some mules running the plugins so I can get the shouts.

shout_ml (GitHub)

so it works with SQL Tables, interesting.
 Asura.Epigram
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2021-08-25 13:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ingestion:
widower 4 plugin > clean up text > php ingestion > sanitize > SQL table

Output:
Table is from a python script that just writes out the table from a sql query every 30 seconds per server.

Someone could just inject their own garbage into the php ingestion, but it's unclear what the value would be. Worst case I could just do ip restrictions or something else.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2021-08-25 14:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

the windower team is very absentee. out of the people who have worked on the project and the main core very few of them pay any attention to ffxi at all. generally they only fix things when people *** excessively and that's why windower 5 has been in the pipes for decade.
Phoenix.Enochroot said: »
I took it to mean that it's because we're not chipping in on the work, which is a fair point

yeah, but basically all you have to do to chip in is support the new product, which never happens in this community lol.

fair point on ashita, somewhere in the last 5 years atom0s probably lost steam due to people sticking to the dinosaur that is windower 4.

all the credit to the windower team for the work they have previously done, i don't mean my posts to be a slight on them but they haven't "worked" on the project in 10 years and saying otherwise is an outright falsehood. i'm saying this as a windower user so i too am to blame.

edit: actually looking at his discord hes still updating it regularly

Seems you speak with a lot of authority on the topic, but if you look at the windower discord "bot-spam" channel(a channel where our github bot spits out commit notices) I think you might notice fairly frequent commits to repositories you can not normally see on github as they are only visible to the team. Also you would notice in all the other channels how frequently the "core dev" team responds to users with questions, and how easy it is to get a hold of us. I believe your perception is simply a result of the perspective you get from where you choose to look at the problem from, you dont see windower post on ffxiah all the time so nothing must be happening.

The issue with the guildwork plugin is not some grand conspiracy or some explicit lack of effort. Issue is very simple a component necessary for the plugin to work can not currently be rebuilt due to an undocumented/unknown build environment, being unable to replicate something you have no really information on will prove to be difficult. If you have ever worked at a small company(or sadly some large ones) which have legacy software build you can understand the that this is a very common problem.

and lastly it is being worked on, discussion happen in our private discord channel.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-25 15:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

nah, unfortunately i've known most of your core devs(and guildworkds) throughout their cycles of inactivity. the majority of support is done by randos in the community.

bonkers that there are people willing to publicly post POCs(which they probably made relatively quickly) of things you guys can't fix in months. wild isn't it? but we'll take your word you're working on it

pearl clutching goblins

edit: may seem that i'm being harsh but this problem is very very simple. if you don't have the time or passion to handle a project don't take it on. pass it off to someone who wants to work on it. if you've worked at any company ever you should understand this concept :). pretending you're some altruistic do gooder who spends 2 hours a year on ffxi is not impressing anyone
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2021-08-25 16:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

bonkers that there are people willing to publicly post POCs(which they probably made relatively quickly) of things you guys can't fix in months. wild isn't it? but we'll take your word you're working on it

pearl clutching goblins
There's no wonder good people who spend weeks and months writing solutions for the community for no financial reward in their spare time end up quitting with this kind of ***.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-25 17:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Windower might not make money, that's fair. Ffxiah ad revenue is likely decent(there are hundreds of websites that analyze web traffic. Feel free to take a look.) and people still pay for guildwork.

Either way the solution is simple. Pass the project off to people who care.
 Asura.Lostfroggy
user: Forg
By Asura.Lostfroggy 2021-08-25 17:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: may seem that i'm being harsh but this problem is very very simple. if you don't have the time or passion to handle a project don't take it on. pass it off to someone who wants to work on it. if you've worked at any company ever you should understand this concept :). pretending you're some altruistic do gooder who spends 2 hours a year on ffxi is not impressing anyone

Sometimes there isn't anyone to hand off to. Sometimes a person who would have wanted to be involved has seen the toxic element of the community and decided they don't want that target on their rear end.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-25 17:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing the community is toxic about is supporting new development. Go back and read the example of ashita. Look at the page of this thread where someone probably took 30 minutes to write something to display shouts that you'll all ignore.

Sorry that you view the truth at toxic. Forums likely aren't the place for you.

Bunch of god damn boomers wanting their recycled ambuscade and broken *** add-ons and plugins lmao
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2021-08-25 17:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

may seem that i'm being harsh but this problem is very very simple. if you don't have the time or passion to handle a project don't take it on. pass it off to someone who wants to work on it. if you've worked at any company ever you should understand this concept :). pretending you're some altruistic do gooder who spends 2 hours a year on ffxi is not impressing anyone

No one has come knocking on the door saying they can help, well at least not our door(our discord or DMs specifically). If these people have the supposed passion, time, and skills they dont seem to be making it known to us.

And if you want to point out they are {over there} saying it to some other people, that's nice. I also think we all know of people who will talk big, you are claiming we do that very thing, so it is possible they will simply back out at the earliest convince.

If anyone does want to help with anything windower related, come by our discord be one of those helpful randos, and if you want to join the team approach Arcon or Iryoku and tell them, they are really nice guys they don't bite.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-25 17:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, make the guildwork source public it'll be fixed before the night ends
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2021-08-25 17:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you going to be the one that fixes it, or are you just going to keep shitting on people?
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2021-08-25 17:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a little unsafe dont you think? I mean it has some critical information about the site, also we dont have the licensing to do that with out permission from the original author. we dont even have the source directly, it is not in a windower repo, hence why we are working with Rooks to see what we can do to help.
 Asura.Lostfroggy
user: Forg
By Asura.Lostfroggy 2021-08-25 17:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing the community is toxic about is supporting new development.
No some members are pretty toxic at supporting old development to. And sometimes even developers that join a project can become toxic and maybe the project dies (see: darkstar)
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-25 17:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »

That's a little unsafe dont you think? I mean it has some critical information about the site, also we dont have the licensing to do that with out permission from the original author. we dont even have the source directly, it is not in a windower repo, hence why we are working with Rooks to see what we can do to help.
Bummer. That was walked back in record time
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2021-08-25 17:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »

Bummer. That was walked back in record time

I dont think so, I dont remember discussing making anything public up until that point, just that joining the team means you can help.
Licensing is no joke, after all that is why the project for v5 exists.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-25 18:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

regardless it doesn't sound like you want help judging by how that was walked back. you just want people to sit in your discord and answer gearswap questions.

i brought windower up to reference a relatively abandoned project that people stick to instead of embracing a newer more active project(ashita), albeit not as abandoned as ffxiah/guildwork.

you were my example
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-08-25 18:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't exactly call Ashita a newer project...
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2021-08-25 18:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bluespoons said: »
or are you just going to keep shitting on people?

That's his thing. I wouldn't pay much attention to the drivel he shits from his mouth though.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-08-25 19:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Are there actual active FFXIAH mods still? I mean that purely as a question. There's been a lot of posts/posters I've seen in my return that I don't think would've flied in the past.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9