First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Bahamut.Unagihito
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: eelman
By Bahamut.Unagihito 2021-02-03 12:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Name the content where "BLM reigns supreme".

Shattering Stars (BLM)
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Vagary, Kei, Holding adds for certain NM fights.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-02-03 12:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Vagary
soloable content that needs 3 to enter, super relevant

Kei
blm can function as part of a group of at least 3, but multiple jobs can solo it, so kinda hard to say blm excels.. and a good many people would argue for MNK or SAM sc being faster than blm(probably correctly)

Holding adds for certain NM fights
it doesn't excel at that, some people just think it's cool to use mana wall.. we have actual tanks that are unkillable
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-02-03 12:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

got nothing against blm or the idea of blm, but as people said pages ago, it's not useful without difficult content, that's completely spot on
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

As opposed to the rest of the game that is all outdated and can be done completely avoiding mechanics anyway? At that point, no job matters, you can just go in with a full alliance of WHMs and do pretty much everything in the game barring a few fights with mechanics that disallow it.

At that point, theres no point in discussing anything.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, it does excel at that. Manawall tanking has the advantage of the blm doesnt care about debuffs, and doesnt need healing or attention for the duration of manawall. For specific uses, its a lot better than other options as a "set it and forget it".
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-02-03 12:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

as a "set it and forget it".

if you want to be totally afk, and have a 5 minute timer. pld can self sustain indefinitely with dirt cheap meds, it's just reaching

but as usual, you're dead set on your weird and almost entirely wrong opinions
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 13:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sustaining indefinitely while getting spammed with debuffs via meds is unreliable at best if you eat a few para procs. Youll need support.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-03 13:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

hey I think Amazon delivered that box of straws you're grasping at to my door instead.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2021-02-03 13:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Friedrik said: »
Im sorry, i must have missed the part where corsairs can cast elemental magic.

either you're actively trolling, or clearly haven't been playing this game.

The game doesn't view magical damage from the barrel of a gun or the hands of mage differently, except in one case- that repeated use of the same elemental magic SPELL is nerfed, but repeated use of the same elemental WEAPON SKILL isn't. But are buffed the same way, attack the mob the same way, and can take advantage of the same weaknesses.

Its just that I can take 10 CORs to Zerde and fire off 40+ Wildfires without a single break in 60 seconds, and all will hit just fine, but if I bring 3 BLMs by the 5th spell damage has started to go to ***.

I'll tell you right now you're wasting your time arguing with this guy. He's the same dude that got laughed out of the RUN forums for thinking RUN was a squishy tank because it wasn't on heavy armor.

Pretty sure it's the same person that said you shouldn't use Sacrifice to remove Zombie from Tanks so he's always been like this lol.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2021-02-03 13:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Unagihito said: »

Shattering Stars (BLM)

Touche
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-03 13:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

He's back to his old tricks.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
you're dead set on your weird and almost entirely wrong opinions

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
everyone knows it and nyaarun hasn't said anything accurate all week

Lili said: »
Guys, we need to overcome our disagreements and come together to start ignoring Nyaarun. The last 20 pages or so are basically just him baiting us with inane statements and everybody else feeding the troll, and the thread is going to crap because of it. By now we all know he has no idea how to play WHM and what the job can do, so please stop arguing with him at all.

I know it's difficult, but we can do it.

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Nearly every comment you have made in every single thread about game mechanics has been 100% incorrect, Nyaarun.
[+]
By eliroo 2021-02-03 13:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
He's back to his old tricks.

As on and off of this forum as I am, I am surprised I remembered and was apart of that fun.
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2021-02-03 14:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Bahamut.Unagihito said: »

Shattering Stars (BLM)

Touche
Can't you bring Trust: Amchuhu in that fight? So RUN still reigns supreme even in BLM only content /s
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-03 16:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Vagary, Kei, Holding adds for certain NM fights.

Blue mage is equally good at vagary as BLM, and I've been in groups that samurai burned down Kei with no mages nuking. The samurai was the only one on the mob and he just soloed Kei with buff support and skillchain damage. And any adds that BLM can hold red mage can hold equally well because guess what, they can also cast sleepga. So congratulations, you've just listed the only two events where BLM is even brought to, and one of them is level 75 content. Do you realize how horrible that bodes for the class? Elemental magic needs an overhaul, plain and simple. Because Eiryl put it best

Quote:
"Magic" and "magical damage" need to be separated.

By "Magic" he means Elemental Magic, and the only purpose of elemental magic is to create magical damage. When elemental magic was introduced in 2002 there was no other magic damage. But today we have blue magic, and we also have leaden salute, wildfire, trueflight, and aeolian edge. Guess what, they all serve the exact same purpose. And every single one of the alternatives to elemental magic is just better at nuking than blm. That's why black mage is in such a miserable spot. Elemental magic is all it does. It's its only role. Blm does NOTHING else. And everyone else does black mage's job better than black mage itself.

I reiterate - Corsair, Ranger, Thief, and Dancer, all four jobs that don't even cast spells are vastly better at filling the nuker role than the supposed masters of magic damage themselves. This is a problem, and it does need to be addressed if we're ever going to see black mage made relevant in content again. No, blm is NOT ok. It's in a horrible state and something needs to be done to buff it out of the gutter.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 17:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cor ranger thief and dancer require TP to use their abilities. If the mob is immune to physical but not magical, they arent doing anything.

Thief and dancer arent even close to being better than blm for magical damage anyway.

Also, blue isnt better than blm for vagary, and sam isnt better than blm for kei.

None of the jobs listed does what blm does. They all have very strict limitations. Cor and ranger get screwed if they cant generate TP, or if the mob is strong to light/dark/fire. Thf and Dnc are screwed if they cant get TP, if the mob is strong to wind, and if you really shouldnt be using AoEs right now.

Blm is consistent, has strong damage output, and isnt limited by specific elemental weaknesses. Even blu has problems with its magic abilities, generally being AoE, high CD, and only moderate damage. The only real advantage blue has in its AoEs is it doesnt get diminishing returns, which is more an oversight on SE's end than an issue with Blm.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-03 17:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thief and dancer arent even close to being better than blm for magical damage anyway.

When you're looking at an AoE cleave situation then yes, they absolutely are. Elemental magic suffers a flat 70% damage reduction against large groups of mobs. If your blizzaja would deal 20K damage to everything, now it suddenly only deals 6k. Meanwhile aeolian edge suffers no penalty regardless how many targets it hits, and it also gains the same benefits from buffs like acumen and malaise.

Quote:
None of the jobs listed does what blm does. They all have very strict limitations. Cor and ranger get screwed if they cant generate TP, or if the mob is strong to light/dark/fire.

How many mobs are strong to both light and dark.... AND fire all at the same time, and how many mobs are completely immune to physical damage. Seriously now, come on. Be realistic here.

Quote:
Thf and Dnc are screwed if they cant get TP, if the mob is strong to wind, and if you really shouldnt be using AoEs right now.

Again, you're talking about puks or situations where you use leaden or wildfire instead. Every one of your examples is a highly specific situation that doesn't come up in 99.99% of the actual gameplay experience and can easily be worked around if you anticipate it ahead of time. Black mage needs help, plain and simple. I don't understand why it's so hard for you to grasp that fact.

Quote:
Blm is consistent, has strong damage output

No, it really doesn't. Not without considerable assistance from others. If it did it would be used on more content than it is right now. You listed them yourself. Two events, one of which is a level 75 era relic.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 17:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilith VD is a good example of a mob where you wouldnt use cor or ranger for magic damage, yet would use a blm. Run, Sch and Blm is one of the most consistent setups for VD clears.

Hydras are mobs that swap between physical and magical immunity (and im pretty sure for some reason trueflight/wildfire/laeden fall under the physical barrier as well)

Caturae barriers.

Thf and Dnc dont get laeden/trueflight. Their option is literally wind damage or nothing.

Also, im pretty sure i never listed anything that was "75 era".
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2021-02-03 17:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
How many mobs are strong to both light and dark.... AND fire all at the same time, and how many mobs are completely immune to physical damage. Seriously now, come on. Be realistic here.

And if any of them did exist, RDM with enspells would be even better then BLM.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-03 18:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hydras are mobs that swap between physical and magical immunity (and im pretty sure for some reason trueflight/wildfire/laeden fall under the physical barrier as well)

Caturae barriers.

Thf and Dnc dont get laeden/trueflight. Their option is literally wind damage or nothing.

Also, im pretty sure i never listed anything that was "75 era".

Oh god no, not the hydras. Black mage is totally ok because it can deal magic damage when the ten hundred bujillion Hydras rampaging across every zone in vanadiel use Pyric Bulwark, even though it's also completely useless when the Hydra uses Polar Bulwark. There are SOOOO many hydras we fight on an hourly basis that this highly specific and totally cherry picked example has absolutely changed my stance on the matter. Hey guys, BLM is OK because of Hydras!

Sarcasm aside... your other example is also cherry picked. There aren't that many mobs that are resistant to wind damage, and even fewer that fall into the AoE instead of rudras category, and thief and dancer bring far more than just AoE wind nukes to the table. They both have vastly higher DPS than black mage because rudra's storm is busted; it's so powerful that it just crushes free nuke damage. For all of the realistic situations we play in that aren't cherry picked black mage really needs help.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 18:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

"Blm needs help"

Well, here are the fights where it does well in having that option because of specific mechanics in the fight

"Yeah, but, it cant faceroll an apex mob so it needs help"

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-02-03 18:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM in Dyna comments:
My LS has been kind enough to let me bring my BLM to Dyna several times in the last few weeks to level up a +1 neck, but they're doing it out of mercy. 1-2 more runs to rank 20 and I'll never bring it again.

I try to help as much as I can, but it's a struggle. Main role is simply Sleepga/Breakga (but I mean... the BRDs can certainly handle that role fine anyway AS WELL AS giving strong buffs to a whole party). I do stick TH+4 gear in my sleep set in case a mob gets killed without a THF tagging it, cuz I'm trying to justify my slot. Aside from that I... cast Burn on mobs, toss in Stuns as much as I can. I'll /SCH and give light weather to my Trueflight RNG friends.

If a RNG or COR doesn't demolish a pulled statue, I try to finish that off too. Otherwise I barely actually nuke because it's not worthwhile. I'll do some low tier free nukes when there's nothing better to do, but TBH it's utterly irrelevant damage. Wave 1 statue boss we do a controlled Darkness SC so I actually get to have a few MBs there. That's about it.

Fix this job please comments:
Honestly, they really need to pump up the damage of low tier nukes for BLM. Like, a job trait that substantially pumps up tier 1-3 nuke damage. Maybe a M.dmg multiplier or something, maybe bumping up Magic crit rate and giving a big bonus to magic crits (similar to RNG's Dead Aim trait for substantially stronger ranged crit dmg) to encourage frequent casting of lower tier spells for decent DoT. Make a BLM exclusive JA, or add a trait with meaningful levels of the tier only for BLM lv50+. Point is just to allow a well equipped BLM with decent COR or GEO buffs to focus on casting a lot to simply result in DPS results in line with an average melee DD on the majority of content with no particular strong magic resistance (not just a super cherry picked fight like the tired OLD examples of Kei or Vagary). Not really asking for the world.

I get that they're scared to simply remove resist wall because of the prospect of multiple BLMs MBing Death/T5-6/-ja/-ga3. But maybe just apply resist wall to those higher tier spells? Nothing is going to get ruined by allowing a BLM with Wizard's Roll spamming Blizzard 2 to get similar damage over time as a decent melee, and there's no reason an RMT army would abuse that either.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2021-02-03 19:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

"Yeah, but, it cant faceroll an apex mob so it needs help"

lmao, Apex mobs are one of the only things that BLMs DO faceroll. Why would you use that as an example?
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-03 19:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilith VD is a good example of a mob where you wouldnt use cor or ranger for magic damage, yet would use a blm. Run, Sch and Blm is one of the most consistent setups for VD clears.

Did over 40 runs on D/VD killing fetters EXCLUSIVELY due to the Corsair's ability to deal Ranged, Magical, and Physical damage in good numbers on one job.

Let me know when BLM gets a bow.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-03 19:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Did over 40 runs on D/VD killing fetters EXCLUSIVELY due to the Corsair's ability to deal Ranged, Magical, and Physical damage in good numbers on one job.

Trueflight on Lillith's first form, Leaden salute on the second. Wildfire on either. Yeah, Lillith was a terrible example to argue blm specific content.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 19:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

No, lilith is a good example. Youre going for fetter kills. Run, Sch, Blm goes for just killing lilith, which is something cors and rangers dont really excel at. With Ab-TP, theres virtually no risk, and it doesnt take much in the way of gear for the sch and blm to do it.

Trying to kill fetters adds a lot more risk and coordination. Also, wildfire isnt that great of a WS to be using, as you can easily SC with it to darkness.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-02-03 19:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

AHEM!
https://www.ffxiah.com/item/22128/raetic-bow-1

Hmmm maybe I can work with the ranged stats Oseem seems to like giving me on Merlinic gear ;)
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-03 19:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

No, lilith is a good example. Youre going for fetter kills. Run, Sch, Blm goes for just killing lilith, which is something cors and rangers dont really excel at. With Ab-TP, theres virtually no risk, and it doesnt take much in the way of gear for the sch and blm to do it.

Trying to kill fetters adds a lot more risk and coordination. Also, wildfire isnt that great of a WS to be using, as you can easily SC with it to darkness.

There's zero reason to do VD unless you're killing fetters.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 19:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

VD has higher base drop rate regardless of fetter killing. Fetter killing increases the number of slots items can drop in.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8