Asura.Jdove
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2021-01-26 20:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Inspectorgadget said: »
Asura.Jdove said: »
Funny this should come up i just posted this topic on playonline's official forum.

"Suggestion for game balance
Lock weapon skill damage and massive critical hit white damage behind a damage wall so if a weapon skill is done too quickly its damage gets nerfed 90% like the magic burst wall and blood pact wall, this would create the need for planned skillchains and the need for people to use BLM and magic burst jobs to do good damage and stop people from using the same 8 jobs (Run cor geo brd whm drk war mnk ) for absolutely everything and give the game some needed versatility. And also let mobs stay glued to pld and give it some debuffs that let it compete better with rune fencer. (This isn't meant to be directed at players who think differently but at the devs as a suggestion.)"

This might not be the answer you are all looking for but to me its the only way i can see to balance the game and get people off the same 8 jobs.

I'm not surprised someone from Asura would come up with such a god damn HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE idea.
Whats HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE about it, it's what they did to other jobs, also i dont appreciate the negativity.
 Asura.Cordyfox
user: Cordyfox
By Asura.Cordyfox 2021-01-26 21:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Good, then I suppose its safe to block your gimp noob *** like I have so many others on this board.

kbai.

How is this remotely productive? You can disagree with someone's idea without being a *** about it.

To OP, as others have stated, it's time to find another job you like. BLU is my eternal love (and is actually very usable in most content) but I'm working on RNG and RDM for a reason.
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-01-26 21:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cordyfox said: »
Good, then I suppose its safe to block your gimp noob *** like I have so many others on this board.

kbai.

How is this remotely productive? You can disagree with someone's idea without being a *** about it.

To OP, as others have stated, it's time to find another job you like. BLU is my eternal love (and is actually very usable in most content) but I'm working on RNG and RDM for a reason.

about as productive as only playing one job and expecting to be carried through linkshell events in 2021.
[+]
 Asura.Msmissy
user: msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2021-01-26 21:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

kbai.

about as productive as only playing one job and expecting to be carried through linkshell events in 2021.

Apparently you missed where he said he had just come back to the game after several years off. I had the same issue when I came back.... quickly realized blm just wasn’t gonna do it anymore and lvl’d whm. Give the guy a break and the time to figure this sh*t out.
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-01-26 21:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Msmissy said: »

kbai.

Apparently you missed where he said he had just come back to the game after several years off. I had the same issue when I came back.... quickly realized blm just wasn’t gonna do it anymore and lvl’d whm. Give the guy a break and the time to figure this sh*t out.

I have no beef with the OP. I only stated to him that if they want more out of this game, only playing one job isn't gonna cut it. It doesn't take that long to drum up a basic 3 song bard or a 900 kill GEO and contribute in ways that will benefit themselves and their linkshell in the process.
 Asura.Aquatiq
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2021-01-26 21:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Memes.
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-01-26 21:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Aquatiq.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-01-26 22:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny this should come up i just posted this topic on playonline's official forum.

Lock weapon skill damage and massive critical hit white damage behind a damage wall so if a weapon skill is done too quickly its damage gets nerfed 90% like the magic burst wall and blood pact wall, this would create the need for planned skillchains and the need for people to use BLM and magic burst jobs to do good damage and stop people from using the same 8 jobs (Run cor geo brd whm drk war mnk ) for absolutely everything and give the game some needed versatility. And also let mobs stay glued to pld and give it some debuffs that let it compete better with rune fencer. (This isn't meant to be directed at players who think differently but at the devs as a suggestion.)"

This might not be the answer you are all looking for but to me its the only way i can see to balance the game and get people off the same 8 jobs.

I'm not surprised someone from Asura would come up with such a god damn HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE idea.

Most Asurans come from somewhere else so he's probably an immigrant and doesn't represent native Asuran players.
By Afania 2021-01-26 22:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
Blm is a worse version of SCH in almost every way.

Not quite accurate. BLM isn't in the same role as SCH. In BLM setup using BLM as the main DD should have higher DPS than only using SCH as main DD. It's not worse, just different.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
BLM kinda fell out of the meta.

What's the goal? If you want to play the game, BLM requires an entire build out specifically for it and people generally don't want to bother. (it can work with like a ranger/cor magic setup)

Or just do CP? make a burst party.

This. BLM setup still works well in majority of endgame that includes dynamis D and Lilith VD farm. And it's relatively safe to use such setup.

That being said, only BLM can be the real DD in BLM setup, other alternatives like SCH RDM are much weaker as a nuker. You also need SCH if you want efficient SC opener and DoT. Both aren't popular jobs.

So it's extremely difficult to build a party or alliance around BLM because nobody plays these jobs. On the other hand 50 other people has REMA DD and wants to play them. So in general melee party is preferred just because everyone has melee jobs.

It's less about the job being bad but more about this game has way too many melee jobs, and different DD type can't party together effectively . The only way to fix this is change how nuke/MB works.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-01-26 22:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If they'd remove the Aoe nerf and give blm a job specific trait that lets only them not suffer the MB wall would go a long way in helping it :D
By Afania 2021-01-26 23:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a simple but effective fix would be allowing MB window stay open for several seconds after a SC even if another WS gets used.

That would make BLM a good alternative DD in magical melee setup since BLM can continue to MB while melees spam magical WS.
By Draylo 2021-01-26 23:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultima, multi hit magic damage! Triple cast JA > Ultima.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2021-01-26 23:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Naughtydread said: »
Hello, I am looking for advice. IT seems almost impossible to get parties with a BLM even my LS won't bring me. Does anyone have any suggestions for being able to play as a BLM. I tried SMN and did not enjoy the job.

There are BLM strategies for Dynamis-D wave 3 clears, HELMs, some Omen bosses. I'll add my voice to the people in this topic saying that you need to build specifically around it. You aren't going to just seamlessly plug black mage into what you are doing. Black mage was one of my original first jobs and I've started resurrecting it, but my linkshell is in a place where there's more buy-in for trying different ways of doing things even if those ways are less efficient, just to keep people engaged.

Black mage needs corsair and ranger (and red mage) magical WS nerfs plus removal of the magic burst wall to be "fixed". Full stop. The problem with doing this is that you have a SMNburn-like situation, except players have even more invested, particularly in their corsairs and DD red mages, and a nerf to ranged magical WS would be a serious blow to so many. On the other hand, S-E has nerfed SMN slowly, and even if COR/RNG/RDM had magical WS nerfed each job would still have a distinct place in the meta whereas right now black mage doesn't have any.
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2021-01-26 23:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

blm was king back when reisenjima was new. blm needs some love but we also need some content scary enough to get people off the front lines more often.
[+]
By Kikomizuhara 2021-01-27 00:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I hear the JP still use BLM for content so the devs probably don't see any problem, or less of a problem.
[+]
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-01-27 00:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Never thought I’d see the day BST was more useful than BLM but here we are
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-01-27 06:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Most Asurans come from somewhere else so he's probably an immigrant and doesn't represent native Asuran players.

I've already seen my fair share of the type of players that come from Asura over the years and I can tell you that their poor reputation is more than deserved.
 Asura.Nattylock
By Asura.Nattylock 2021-01-27 07:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks again for all the feedback. I am a new player and want to join the community. It is difficult to be viewed as wanting to be carried. I just want to enjoy the game with a lot of people and depise trusts, with all the mercs on Asura I could easily gear my character in a few weeks if that was my goal.

I gave up and uninstalled, it was a brief return to Vana'diel.
By SimonSes 2021-01-27 08:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You claim to be "new" but you have an Auction House sale history spanning back to 2018. So you're either trolling or you're really that thick headed.

I started at release and have not played for many years.

Asura.Nattylock said: »
return to Vana'diel

You could say that saying "many" for 2.75 years is exaggeration, but he definitely haven't claimed he is new.
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-01-27 08:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
You claim to be "new" but you have an Auction House sale history spanning back to 2018. So you're either trolling or you're really that thick headed.

I started at release and have not played for many years.

return to Vana'diel

You could say that saying "many" for 2.75 years is exaggeration, but he definitely haven't claimed he is new.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I am a new player and want to join the community. It is difficult to be viewed as wanting to be carried. I just want to enjoy the game with a lot of people and depise trusts, with all the mercs on Asura I could easily gear my character in a few weeks if that was my goal.

I gave up and uninstalled, it was a brief return to Vana'diel.
By SimonSes 2021-01-27 08:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, you are right, tho I guess he used a wrong words and wanted to say he is new to current end game reality. Unless he has 2 personalities conflicting with each other :D
By Crossbones 2021-01-27 09:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

If blm sch and geo can all mb for 99k and two out of three of those jobs contribute in ways other than damage than yeah blm is a worse job in every way. Technically sch can mb for more than 99k if you burst a helix, which is my preferred strat for vd lilith since you don't need to worry about light fetters,one mb helix and she's done for each form. Blm sucks and it needs to get fixed or bursts need to get fixed. You can argue blm has tier 6 nukes but if mb damage caps at 99k and you can hit the same numbers with tier 5 nukes this is irrelevant. Idk how much content is in the game where blm can mb for 99k that a well geared sch or geo can't where mb strat is relevant,possibly wave 3 dyna if for some reason you wanted to use that strat but rdm can ws for 99k in basically the same setup. Maybe give them a JA that ignores mb nerfs or something idk. I'm not saying I like the state it's in but it is what it is.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-01-27 09:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Black mage isn't a bad job, but it's niche because s-e gave other jobs better ways to do everything in black mage's toolkit.

--Corsair is better at dealing magical damage to single targets because leaden salute and wildfire have no resist wall.

--Blue mage, red mage, and even thief and dancer are better at doing magical AoE damage to large groups of mobs because blue magic and aeolian edge do not suffer a flat 70% damage reduction when they hit large groups of mobs.

--Red mage has a better enfeebling magic skill so their sleepgas have higher magic accuracy

--Free nuking on black mage is pathetic because you blow large chunks of mana to deal mediocre damage. A tier VI spell might do 10k damage at best. Meanwhile weaponskills like rudra's storm, evisceration, stardiver, upheaval, and savage blade are doing 30-50k damage because Tauret, Naegeling, Shining one, Twashter, Aeneas, and Chango exist. And all the while the melees are dealing white damage with normal melee swings and critical hits between weaponskills.

I have black mage geared about as well as it can possibly get and I'd still rather take something else to events because black mage damage output doesn't compare to melee. Black mage is good at magic bursting, and if you do fight some kind of NM with scholar making skillchain and magic burst... like kei, then yes. Blm is still pretty good. But out of all the jobs that need an overhaul, black mage is at the top of the list. It's completely fallen out of favor with the meta. And no, the answer is not to nerf everything else down to blms power level. There have been suggestions to fix blm, but they never get implemented. If they would just remove the damage reduction BLM's AoE nukes get when they hit multiple targets and increase black mage's single target nukes with a modifier to help put free nuke damage more in line with melee damage output black mage would be perfectly viable.

That's literally all they have to do. Scale elemental magic damage upward so it lines up better with current melee damage output. But it's apparently not high on their priority list.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Slib
Server: Carbuncle
user: Slib
By Carbuncle.Slib 2021-01-27 09:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

As a main Black Mage, I wanted to give my opinion on black mage here...

Black mage is super useful today. I personally do get salty that my red mage can buff/debuff effectively and just go in and savage blade like a boss, putting out more damage, but I have found many uses for black mage where it's beneficial to a melee group and also still fun.

DYNAMIS
As a lot of people have noted here, black mage is super useful for pulling in Dynamis. They can turtle up with Manawall and pull the entire zone safely in a ~3-4 pulls and hand off the enemies to blue mages spamming Entomb, or simply drag mobs to the party and let melee take care of them one at a time. They can also handle a group of 10+ statues at the same time like it is nothing while the group handles the rest of the mobs. Wave 3, 1 black mage could easily snipe enemies with a scholar making a skillchain for them too. That makes things very quick and even safe, all done by two jobs.

ODYSSEY
In odyssey, if you are aiming to farm agons then don't bring a tank, bring a black mage. Black mage can play the role of a puller, healer and even DD when you get the opportunity, sniping mobs. For the groups I run, every DD goes sub ninja and we typically run with a thf, brd, rdm, cor, monk and blm (me). I will mana wall up and guard the inner part of an agon so all aggro happens to me, safely. The group then burns down the agon and we move back to safety and I pull the rest of the enemies for them, one at a time. If you have a monk Agon enemy, it is best that you kill them. Black mage can self skillchain and burst easily on these guys, killing them in one round without a geomancer.

AMBUSCADE
Like all jobs in ambuscade, each job has their month where they shine or don't belong in it. Unfortunately, many months have black mage sitting back, but this is only because other methods are quicker or more efficient. Black mages do have their months, but not as many as other jobs.

Other content I will not go into because they are pretty trivial otherwise and are also old. Black Mage can obviously do fine in the majority of those fights.

So to all of those here that don't find black mage useful, I'm sorry you feel that way. Corsairs are not the only way to get through content. (I say this because the two of the past linkshells I've been in just stack cors :P)

Anyway, to the OP, black mage is great and you need to find a group of people who will think outside the box and find ways to utilize it for what it's worth. I found that small group and I love it. I'd definitely recommend bringing up another job to have a variety, as one job never works for all content all of the time. If you'd like more information on how I play black mage and how it works in more specific content, please feel free to message me and we can talk about it!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-01-27 10:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

kbai.

WHM privilege says hi.

note: whms, make your effing Yagrush, don't slack.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8