Frustrated
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-03 07:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You do know WHY the nuke wall was implemented in the first place though right? Were you playing black mage in the 2015/2016 ish era when manaburn strategies were too prevelant? Consider that the mana resist wall was implemented before Dynamis D, Malignance gear, and even ambuscade was released. There have also been several job changes since then. Manaburning nms was a result of players not only not knowing how to fight the post-adoulin era content, but also not having access to nearly as much gear that enabled them to do it effectively. We didn't even have ambuscade capes yet when that nerf was coded in.

Quote:
I already suggested nerfing massive crits when I 1st posted my idea a few pages ago,

This again is just a result of a combination of JSE necks, capes, relic +3 gear and ambuscade weapons/empyrean aftermath doing what they do. These are all things that didn't exist when the mana wall was implemented. The weaponskill potency update and REMA Rank 15 upgrades are also changes that were made after the fact. What you're asking is akin to having them revert pretty much the past five years worth of content development. It's not realistic, nor is it a good idea, and it certainly isn't going to bring any form of balance to the game. Simon already pointed out a few very good reasons as to why, but there are more.

Black mage is also not that far gone. Afania and Simon has posted some very good content in this thread, and I've added my own thoughts as well. Elemental magic needs an overhaul, but that's really it. If one thing is broken the solution is not to break as many other things as possible so everything becomes equally broken, it's just to fix that one thing that needs fixing. How they should go about doing it may be up for discussion, but your proposed path is a terrible one.
By Draylo 2021-02-03 08:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Manaburning nms was a result of players not only not knowing how to fight the post-abyssea era content

Huh? I think you skipped a long era in between lol.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-03 08:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If you use something too much they take it away. Always have. Except they've never put any real effort into nerfing zerg as a concept instead of methods of zerg. (soul eater, modus, apochaste, ranger range, burst wall etc)

BLM is played all or nothing. You're either going with the buffs and the intent to burst, or you're not. Square doesn't want you to do that but they don't make the effort to make you do it.

More mobs need magical phases where legit MAGIC needs to be done. Not fully cut physical to zero but reduce it enough to incentivize magic. Like... physical damage cut to 25% and magical up to 175% so it's still possible to win, without, but incentivized. Sliding damage scale. BUT with actual magic magic. And that doesn't even really fully fix it because SCH RDM GEO are all "better than BLM" BLM specifically brings nothing of value to battles. (lolburn lolchoke)

Literally, this, but not for *** ambuscade. And leaden will just break it.

Quote:
For Ambuscade, both Normal and Intense have new battles this month. Intense Ambuscades feature combat against iron giants. Effectively dealing damage is hugely important this month, and you’ll want to bring both physical and magic attackers if you hope to emerge unscathed.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-03 08:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Yeah, I was thinking post-adoulin, but wrote post abyssea. Woops.
By clearlyamule 2021-02-03 09:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
If you use something too much they take it away. Always have. Except they've never put any real effort into nerfing zerg as a concept instead of methods of zerg. (soul eater, modus, apochaste, ranger range, burst wall etc)
It's not even really an issue of too much as a perception that it is being used either too much or to do things others can't effectively do or they just get a feather up there butts about something. Soul eater got nerfed because it was one of the first ways to beat AV. Modus nerfed merely because it was being tested to potentially be a way to beat AV.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-03 09:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Soul Eater was being used excessively on absolutely everything. AV being the tipping point. (or maybe it was being used excessively after the av kill it's twenty years ago I don't recall without looking) Point being excessive use.

17 modus on hydra is excessive aka; too much

If no one ever took 17 scholars specifically to use modus and stuck with the 1 sch deal, it wouldn't have happen but the greed is real.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2021-02-03 10:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:

Yeah, I was thinking post-adoulin, but wrote post abyssea. Woops.

The resist wall was implemented in 2006 as a counter to people doing stuff like taking a bunch of BLMs to time -ga nukes on things like Divine Might.

Post-Adoulin burst strategies had more to do with SE scaling mob stats way past what many melee jobs/setups could reasonably manage, while having magic-oriented Geomancy being better than intended (percent based rather than set amount).
When SE "fixed" those Geomancy spells, they also buffed a lot of melee buffs and nerfed mob stats (February 2017) which is more what served to steer a lot of players toward melee setups, even before gear creep stepped in to help.

To me, the magic resist wall itself is something that really doesn't need to be applied universally anymore.
If SE can selectively apply the mechanic for weapon skills and Blood Pacts, then they can likely do the same for nukes/MB, and that'd be fine. We already work around mobs that aren't great to skillchain on, or feed TP to, or whatever else. Needing to mix up tactics to accommodate that sort of thing is great. Makes things interesting. Leaving it as applying to everything is just...lazy.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-03 10:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They ARE lazy. They look for the laziest countermeasure every time. And then never give two shits about who it affects or how it fundamentally alters the game.

Least amount of effort (do nothing) until forced to do the bare minimum.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2021-02-03 10:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
To me, the magic resist wall itself is something that really doesn't need to be applied universally anymore.
If SE can selectively apply the mechanic for weapon skills and Blood Pacts, then they can likely do the same for nukes/MB, and that'd be fine. We already work around mobs that aren't great to skillchain on, or feed TP to, or whatever else. Needing to mix up tactics to accommodate that sort of thing is great. Makes things interesting. Leaving it as applying to everything is just...lazy.

I agree, understanding where it came from is key to knowing why it's no longer needed. A single buffed Corsair can put out more elemental magic damage then a whole army of buffed BLMs due to weapon skills largely not having a resist wall. Removing the wall wouldn't make elemental magic anywhere close to OP but would at least make it semi viable again. Further updates like better base damage scaling or some other damage multiplier would have to be done to make it usable as a DPS. They kinda made it better with the bonus's to the Archmages set and elemental debuffs but it needs more work, specifically scaling past 150 dINT / -13 stat. Instead they should have it's potency based on elemental skill with dINT providing a bonus similar to how Distract III/ Frazzle III work.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-03 10:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you want 10 BLM RMT armies killing every single thing, cause that's what happens if you take the resist wall away.

Yes it's happening now with SMN, literally every day, literally all day, SMN burn RMT aeonics. As easy as it is to do with SMN it's even easier with BLM. (if they take the way away)

Not aeonics but everything. Doesn't even require two hours like conduit.

Brand new ilvl 500 mob content; meh just use 16 deaths. (then nerf death) Meteor it is. (then nerf meteor) Ok, now blm has no purpose.

You have to think in absolutes, because while things CAN and MAY happen, they absolutely WILL happen. You will always default to the least effort solution.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2021-02-03 10:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I am completely fine with them doing whatever they want, not hurting me anymore than any of the other zerging methods people are using for four year old content.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 11:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

"Sch rdm geo are better than blm" yeah, no theyre not. None of them come close to the damage potential of blm with actual nukes.

Geo cant sustain the mana.

Rdm lacks the higher tier nukes.

Sch lacks the raw power outside burst strategems on lengthy CDs, as well as lacking AoE.

Seriously, we need to get off the idea that all these other jobs are strictly better than blm at blm's central role. Theyre not. Theyll never be better. They physically CANT be better by how theyre designed. The only reason people prefer them is their utility, which is their selling point. BLM will always straight up dunk on all of them damage wise with elemental nukes.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2021-02-03 11:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

All those jobs can do things to either boost their own damage or that of party members, BLM can't really do anything else.

A geomancer by themselves is going to nuke harder then a BLM by themselves due to geomancy. A SCH will do the same due to SC's and weather, and RDM due to sheer speed of cast / recast. This is why SE needs to either give BLM wildly better damage, or a set of tools that benefits the party in another way.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-03 11:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

They are, it's just simple fact. a RDM/SCH/GEO may not do 99999 fire 6 but have a role other than just wait for a burst.

BLM only has one thing. wait for a burst, do 100k(200k). other jobs don't need to be better "at that" just better, in general.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bursting, or even outside of a burst, blm completely dumpsters all other jobs with straight nuking damage. At all times. Theres no comparison, its not even a close race. The argument that they are above and away better than blm is absurd, and will never be true.

They are more desireable for their other roles and utility. Not because they can deal a BLMs damage.
By eliroo 2021-02-03 12:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
At all times. Theres no comparison

An Unbuffed BLM will deal more damage than GEO using Acumen and Malaise and then nuking?
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because i am clearly talking about a lvl 1 blm naked versus a 99 idris geo with full RSE.

Clearly i am talking about all reasonable scenarios given approximately equal gear. If youre going to nuke something, youll obviously have buffs geared toward doing said content.
By eliroo 2021-02-03 12:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that is where your disconnect is. You are evaluating BLM in its best scenario while everyone else is considering slot efficiency and other scenarios. Even in the instance where you have a BLM and a GEO in a party, the GEO is probably still contributing more overall damage. Like you wouldn't replace a GEO or RDM with a BLM but you would easily replace a BLM with a GEO or RDM if it was taking up that party slot.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a party and you are planning magic based buffs, are you bringing 5 geos or 1 geo 4 blm?
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2021-02-03 12:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
You have to think in absolutes

Bursting, or even outside of a burst, blm completely dumpsters all other jobs with straight nuking damage. At all times. Theres no comparison, its not even a close race. The argument that they are above and away better than blm is absurd, and will never be true.

They are more desireable for their other roles and utility. Not because they can deal a BLMs damage.

Damn it Eiryl, now you have people posting in absolutes...
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2021-02-03 12:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything more than 2-3 BLMs is pointless with the damage wall unless you're doing Death and rotating timers. Then you would want 2 SCHs anyway. So you would never have 4 BLMs. If that damage wall was gone, there would be more incentive to bring more BLMs.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-03 12:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a party and you are planning magic based buffs, are you bringing 5 geos or 1 geo 4 blm?

neither, cause you're bringing 4 corsairs
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-03 12:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because i am clearly talking about a lvl 1 blm naked versus a 99 idris geo with full RSE.

Clearly i am talking about all reasonable scenarios given approximately equal gear. If youre going to nuke something, youll obviously have buffs geared toward doing said content.

Several comments I'll reference/reply to, this just your last.

1. The only way that a "BLM will straight up dunk on all of them" is with the help of those they're dunking on. This means it takes 2 people at a minimum (GEO+BLM) to allow the BLM to do their job. But a GEO alone (1 slot) can do the job needed to make the BLM look good and do 80% of the damage a BLM can.

2. What content needs the bursting/nukes of a BLM instead of a SCH, RDM, or GEO? None. As such, yes BLM is a weaker job that is less desired- again, you're among friends in here when it comes to those of us who love BLM. But blind love is dangerous and foolish- this job is broken, and the less we deny it the more hopes of possibly it growing (with SE's help) into something at least enjoyable.

3. so if we're going to compare the potential of nuker vs nuker, using only 1 slot in a party, all 3 of those getting dunked on not only bring more for the party, but also bring more for their own purposes, as well.

RDM: brings Frazzle3, Gain-INT, and can land 3 spells in a perfectly timed burst window vs a BLM's 2.

SCH: brings self-Klimaform and T2 storms, and can create their own skillchain magically, never having to be in danger of melee range.

GEO: brings both the enfeebling and enhancing bubbles that any legitimate content is gong to require anyways as mentioned, and a GEO bursting with those tools is stronger than a BLM without them.

BLM brings...big nukes? But they're not big on their own? Oh, and Burn. Yippee. Again, the job is just not in a good position, and trying to pretend its not only slows down any hopes for changes.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Im sorry, i must have missed the part where corsairs can cast elemental magic.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Geo doesnt do 80% of a blms damage. It doesnt have the mana pool or mana sustain for it to consistently do debuffs, buffs AND damage.

There is still content BLM reigns supreme, and either way is entirely irrelevant to the point being made; That blm completely outclasses all other jobs when it comes to doing elemental nukes. I already stated the other jobs have better utility, that was never in question.

Again, what part of "They are more desireable for their other roles and utility. Not because they can deal a BLMs damage." do you people fail to understand?
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-02-03 12:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-03 12:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

either you're actively trolling, or clearly haven't been playing this game.

The game doesn't view magical damage from the barrel of a gun or the hands of mage differently, except in one case- that repeated use of the same elemental magic SPELL is nerfed, but repeated use of the same elemental WEAPON SKILL isn't. But are buffed the same way, attack the mob the same way, and can take advantage of the same weaknesses.

Its just that I can take 10 CORs to Zerde and fire off 40+ Wildfires without a single break in 60 seconds, and all will hit just fine, but if I bring 3 BLMs by the 5th spell damage has started to go to ***.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-02-03 12:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats not a face palm, laeden is not elemental magic, which is the entire topic being discussed. Even then, throw in fire and dark resist, and corsair quickly becomes unable to deal effective elemental damage.
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-02-03 12:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

either you're actively trolling, or clearly haven't been playing this game.

The game doesn't view magical damage from the barrel of a gun or the hands of mage differently, except in one case- that repeated use of the same elemental magic SPELL is nerfed, but repeated use of the same elemental WEAPON SKILL isn't. But are buffed the same way, attack the mob the same way, and can take advantage of the same weaknesses.

Its just that I can take 10 CORs to Zerde and fire off 40+ Wildfires without a single break in 60 seconds, and all will hit just fine, but if I bring 3 BLMs by the 5th spell damage has started to go to ***.

I'll tell you right now you're wasting your time arguing with this guy. He's the same dude that got laughed out of the RUN forums for thinking RUN was a squishy tank because it wasn't on heavy armor.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-03 12:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Geo doesnt do 80% of a blms damage. It doesnt have the mana pool or mana sustain for it to consistently do debuffs, buffs AND damage.

There is still content BLM reigns supreme, and either way is entirely irrelevant to the point being made; That blm completely outclasses all other jobs when it comes to doing elemental nukes. I already stated the other jobs have better utility, that was never in question.

Again, what part of "They are more desireable for their other roles and utility. Not because they can deal a BLMs damage." do you people fail to understand?

Name the content where "BLM reigns supreme".
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8