First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-02 23:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
I still enjoy the game. I think they should have waited until they had some tentative ws put out, but oh well.
At least it won't be hard to impress us now... Set the bar record low!
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2012-11-03 05:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread progress:

- New avatar footage!
- Not impressed.
- Rebuttals.
- Game is dead.
- Banter.

The game is fine, the community can suck sometimes though. Anyone care to join me visiting FFXIAH of 3 years ago? Wayback Machine leaving in 15min.
 Carbuncle.Veteran
user: veteran
By Carbuncle.Veteran 2012-11-03 05:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sanders said: »
Thread progress:

- New avatar footage!
- Not impressed.
- Rebuttals.
- Game is dead.
- Banter.

The game is fine, the community can suck sometimes though. Anyone care to join me visiting FFXIAH of 3 years ago? Wayback Machine leaving in 15min.

FFXIAH was just as much of a negative place 3 years ago.

It was just moderated less.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-03 06:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get why people say we have no right to complain. Sometimes SE gives reasons I think are *** but at least in those cases I can try to understand their logic/point of view. In this case though, they took over a year to copy/paste something that already existed in the game. How is that anything but incompetence/laziness? It irks me more when it feels like they're not even trying moreso when they're just doing confusing decisions.
By Latifah 2012-11-03 07:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

why they took so long to add this avatar? the dats have been on the game already for years.
 Cerberus.Katsukora
Server: Cerberus
user: Katsukora
By Cerberus.Katsukora 2012-11-03 13:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I can gather, everyone whose making a big deal over it being so simple ought to think about one thing - the company isn't run by slave-monkeys who work 36-72 hours at a time to deliver content. Instead of enjoying what you have now, you just insist on saying they aren't doing anything, or moving slow as hell. They're still human beings and like every human being, are flawed in some form or fashion.

Griping at them to move faster isn't going to help either. Exercise some freaking patience is all I say, they'll have it done like everything else sooner or later. Better to know it's at least in the works rather than not at all. If you rush anything, it's just gonna turn out bad.

Quality over quantity, even if the game is nearly 10 years old.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-03 13:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katsukora said: »
From what I can gather, everyone whose making a big deal over it being so simple ought to think about one thing - the company isn't run by slave-monkeys who work 36-72 hours at a time to deliver content. Instead of enjoying what you have now, you just insist on saying they aren't doing anything, or moving slow as hell. They're still human beings and like every human being, are flawed in some form or fashion.

Griping at them to move faster isn't going to help either. Exercise some freaking patience is all I say, they'll have it done like everything else sooner or later. Better to know it's at least in the works rather than not at all. If you rush anything, it's just gonna turn out bad.

I don't want a rush job, I want them to employ enough people to get the job done right the first time and in a timely manner. They should have a dev team large enough to finish projects. An expansion should take a year to make, not a single avatar.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katsukora
By Cerberus.Katsukora 2012-11-03 13:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

I don't want a rush job, I want them to employ enough people to get the job done right the first time and in a timely manner. They should have a dev team large enough to finish projects. An expansion should take a year to make, not a single avatar.

Or they could just be doing what they normally do - save it for when a good chunk of it is done. Most of their updates have been like that, even the mini updates have more than just one or two things thrown in. I'm sure they're not going to plan to halt the game for 4 hours for maintenance just to add one thing.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-03 14:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Or they could just be doing what they normally do - save it for when a good chunk of it is done. Most of their updates have been like that, even the mini updates have more than just one or two things thrown in. I'm sure they're not going to plan to halt the game for 4 hours for maintenance just to add one thing.
Don't get me wrong... I'm not asking for weekly updates with 1-2 things added to the game each time... I'm saying that they do not have the manpower nor resources allocated to FFXI to do things correctly and get us decent updates every 3-4 months and large updates yearly. FFXI is rather content starved and even when there is something added, it is often copy-pastega, reskinned, revamped or other unoriginal ideas. They waste what precious dev time they do have on stuff few people care about.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-11-03 14:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do I even come to these forums. I wanted to see some good talk about Cait Sith, some proper conversations into what Cait Sith could be, and how it could fit into a battle situation.

Instead I see the typical complaining. People say that complaining about complaining is wrong.. and that complaining about complaining about complaining is Ok?

Jesus Christ ... It's just an avatar. SE didn't need to release any new ones if they didn't have too, they have plenty of work to do with fixing things in the game, making the new expansion, and of course FFXIV, Cait Sith isn't even that important.

Just be happy that they even released a video to show Cait Sith. And if SE is losing customers and stock market value, who really cares? I know I don't. I just choose to not play the game as much as I used too, but I know plenty of people who still enjoy this game like they did when they started.

Just... stop it... Its tiring.
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2012-11-03 14:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Minefield said: »
The...noises ._ .

Couldn't agree more
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-03 15:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh boy, the "they're also human beings" argument, as if that's somehow applicable in a situation where any competent programmer would take maybe 5 minutes to accomplish what took them a year and a half. Even accounting for everyday server maintenance work, TPS reports and other content to work on, this is pitiful.

It's worth noting that this is even something they themselves announced was in the works, so this isn't even like other situations where people are complaining about some shitty aspect of the game that can be easily fixed, it's something they themselves said was coming.

The only way this could be possible is if they spent any time during the past year a half they touched the Cait Sith idea was for adjusting things to do with the avatar's data-related content (Damage formulas etc), and given how good they've been at balancing the game in the past, are you really inclined to believe that?
 Carbuncle.Sanders
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2012-11-03 15:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Veteran said: »

Read the comments and ratings for screenshots from back then for instance. And compare to now. I guess that might not be a universal example, but it's a big enough one for me.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-11-03 15:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Why do I even come to these forums.

Don't know.

I wanted to see some good talk about Cait Sith, some proper conversations into what Cait Sith could be, and how it could fit into a battle situation.

Come back when they actually announce that information.

Instead I see the typical complaining. People say that complaining about complaining is wrong.. and that complaining about complaining about complaining is Ok?

Jesus Christ ... It's just an avatar. SE didn't need to release any new ones if they didn't have too, they have plenty of work to do with fixing things in the game, making the new expansion, and of course FFXIV, Cait Sith isn't even that important.

Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean its not important to the diehard SMNs who actually want a new Avatar to afk with.

Just be happy that they even released a video to show Cait Sith. And if SE is losing customers and stock market value, who really cares? I know I don't. I just choose to not play the game as much as I used too, but I know plenty of people who still enjoy this game like they did when they started.

They didn't release a video, as far as I am concerned that is a video of Draylo using .dat swaps.

Sorry that our posts aren't meeting your standards, we will try to do better next time when they announce Cait Sith's abilities in 2014. Kbai.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-03 15:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Summary of this thread:

Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-11-03 15:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

2~ minutes worth of work... As others have said the battle dat works perfectly in place of say carbuncle.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-03 16:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread progress:

- New avatar footage!
- Not impressed.
- Rebuttals.
- Game is dead.
- Banter.

I see just as much negativity (if not more) on other sites as I do here. I never understood why people always point out that FFXIAH is such a negative site to go to, that the community is always so negative here!

The internet is full of negative and hateful people who just get on to let go of their frustration with the world then go back to their lives like nothing happened. Any site on the internet that people visit on a daily basis is going to have people who are negative and angry, there isn't a major FFXI website that is immune to that.

There have always been negative comments in these news topics, because players are unhappy with the way the game is being treated by the developers. Why negative attitudes and comments come to a surprise to others I just don't understand.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-03 16:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

that's why
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-11-03 16:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
I see just as much negativity (if not more) on other sites as I do this here. I never understood why people always point out that FFXIAH is such a negative site to go to, that the community is always so negative here!

The internet is full of negative and hateful people who just get on to let go of their frustration with the world then go back to their lives like nothing happened. Any site on the internet that people visit on a daily basis is going to have people who are negative and angry, there isn't a major FFXI website that is immune to that.

There have always been negative comments in these news topics, because players are unhappy with the way the game is being treated by the developers. Why negative attitudes and comments come to a surprise to others I just don't understand.

We were happy during Vanafest (mostly), now its back to slow-to-implement updates, nerfs, more nerfs, extreme cases of nerfs, new events that aren't worth our time, its all talk for SE now. When (if) something positive happens for the game, we can all dance together again. Until then there is no reason to be singing SE's praises, the playerbase isn't happy and we have the right to express it.
Addendum - we don't have to be an active subscriber to voice our displeasure, get over that seriously.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-03 16:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

New events that aren't worth our time? Meeble Burrows is fun :<
[+]
 Carbuncle.Veteran
user: veteran
By Carbuncle.Veteran 2012-11-03 17:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
We

No.
By Kimble2013 2012-11-03 17:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

No what?
By Latifah 2012-11-03 19:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Read the comments and ratings for screenshots from back then for instance. And compare to now. I guess that might not be a universal example, but it's a big enough one for me.
/rate dowwwwwwwwwwn
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-11-04 02:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Why do I even come to these forums.

Don't know.

I wanted to see some good talk about Cait Sith, some proper conversations into what Cait Sith could be, and how it could fit into a battle situation.

Come back when they actually announce that information.

Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean its not important to the diehard SMNs who actually want a new Avatar to afk with.

They didn't release a video, as far as I am concerned that is a video of Draylo using .dat swaps.

Sorry that our posts aren't meeting your standards, we will try to do better next time when they announce Cait Sith's abilities in 2014. Kbai.

Exactly the kind of negative response I would expect. I would like to see some positivity, but I guess that is asking for too much.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-04 03:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Good job SE, you are clearly dedicated to your biggest financial success game product ever by taking a year and a half to do what it takes a player with no access to your source code 5 minutes to do. Truly you are representative of the hard work and determination that all of us should aspire to, in the tradition of the hard workers at places like Fort Knox, Chernobyl, the Titanic, and Uwe Boll movies.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-11-04 04:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly the kind of negative response I would expect. I would like to see some positivity, but I guess that is asking for too much.

I don't know which part of that was exactly "negative". Please don't confuse "realistic" with "negative".

While I agree with parts of your post (such as - "they didn't have to release new avatars" for example). If I said to you "I'll paint your front room, just pay me £10/month until it's done", you'd be pretty annoyed if I took two years to do it, right?

The thing is, players aren't asking for something unbelievable - They're asking for quality produce from a (supposedly) quality source, that had already promised them something. As others have said, players could/can do the exact same thing in minutes, with (hopefully) nothing close to the same level of expertise that FFXI's development team should have.

You can't bring XIV into this, because the teams for XI and XIV are different and completely separate (aside from some being old XI staff).

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people are tired of unfair/completely random systems (VW drops), way behind schedule/very lazy additions (90% of the updates we're getting), and generally poorly designed/implemented parts of XI (things like the UI come to mind). While SE are working on fixing parts of it, they're doing it at a rate that is far behind what should be expected of a company with such a large fanbase and a reputation like they had. No matter which way you look at it, they're going downhill.

Personally, I've still got a lot to do in XI that I was lazy about when they were added (say WOTG missions, AU missions, Assaults, etc), but people who have already done those are basically left with 1~2 different things to do - For SE to live up to their reputation is nothing but fair for the majority of the players who have finished 99% of what they wanted.

tl;dr: I don't understand why people are defending the decisions SE's making - the players have a right to set certain standards and expectations, it's the SE's obligation to meet its promises within a reasonable timeframe.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katsukora
By Cerberus.Katsukora 2012-11-04 13:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Oh boy, the "they're also human beings" argument, as if that's somehow applicable in a situation where any competent programmer would take maybe 5 minutes to accomplish what took them a year and a half. Even accounting for everyday server maintenance work, TPS reports and other content to work on, this is pitiful.

It's worth noting that this is even something they themselves announced was in the works, so this isn't even like other situations where people are complaining about some shitty aspect of the game that can be easily fixed, it's something they themselves said was coming.

The only way this could be possible is if they spent any time during the past year a half they touched the Cait Sith idea was for adjusting things to do with the avatar's data-related content (Damage formulas etc), and given how good they've been at balancing the game in the past, are you really inclined to believe that?

I used the "they're only human" because they for one - can't please everyone at once, and two, they make the decisions on their own what's to be prioritized when it comes to content. Their company, their rules, etc etc.

Granted I'm eager to see what they'll actually do to Cait Sith besides reuse what's already in the game via the fight with Ceither, which is probably why it's taking so long to begin with. They're most likely going to change around a few things, and add some new stuff to his current arsenal, but new stuff means it's probably going to take time based on what I keep hearing about the game's coding being a mess. Or they're all a bunch of lazy bums who will choose how fast they'll work regardless of what the players want.

What also comes to mind is they probably kept the video simple because they don't want to spoil it all at once. Course, either way, may be disappointed no matter which way it goes. If anyone knows Cait Sith's usefulness in previous games, he wasn't all that great to begin with, so I wouldn't expect him to be all "OMG" spectacular as an avatar, but he'd still be fun to mess around with regardless. Either way, he'll probably just become another Carbuncle where players will just sit around idle in areas with him for the sake of having him out.
By Chyula 2012-11-04 13:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Another carbuncle, nothing to see here. This cat will not help improve the job to compensate the PD nerf.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-11-04 13:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Thread progress:

- New avatar footage!
- Not impressed.
- Rebuttals.
- Game is dead.
- Banter.

I see just as much negativity (if not more) on other sites as I do here. I never understood why people always point out that FFXIAH is such a negative site to go to, that the community is always so negative here!

Except he didn't say anything about FFXIAH being more or less negative than other FFXI sites/the rest of the internet.

He was comparing the FFXIAH of today to the FFXIAH of three years ago.

I would not disagree with anything in either of your posts. It's just that your post does not address his post in any way, shape, or form. Why quote it?
 Fenrir.Kuzuryu
user: demendred
By Fenrir.Kuzuryu 2012-11-04 14:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7