Madison Bans Discrimination Against Atheists

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Madison bans discrimination against atheists
Madison bans discrimination against atheists
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 11:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Are we talking about America?

I assumed so.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-05-04 11:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Can we all at least acknowledge that most of the participants on this forum probably have a laxed attitude toward religion or lack there of in day-to-day life, and these discussions are exaggerated/exacerbated by this condensed, little microcosm of opinions?

(Not specifically directed at you, Ramy.)

Oh, make no mistake, I fully acknowledge I go over-the-top here ideologically sometimes. I try to moderate myself a bit more these days, with varying amounts of success.

But yeah, it's an inescapable truth of internet forums; you can rally as hard as you want for your cause -- no matter what it is -- by virtue of relative anonymity.

I know. I'm just getting impatient with scrolling through two or three pages of commentary that I read as nasally, whiny, fourteen-year-olds sniping and carrying on with...

"Well, 'so-and-so' said, "Blah!"

"Well, 'X', 'Y' and 'Z' said 'A', 'B' and 'C', so they're typical of 'ABC'."

"'X' said this and that! I'm calling a mod!"

It seems as though everyone has a pre-made list and are ticking off boxes according to stereotypes. Sifting through all this to find a substantial read... :/

(No, I'm not exempt of it with certain material sometimes.)
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 11:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
We're already killing people for not agreeing with our beliefs...

Without going too far into the "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" concept, who are we currently killing who didn't kill/try to kill our citizens or allies first based on their own fervent beliefs?

You mean besides the people who were defending their homeland from us as invaders (liberators)? We support dozens of para-military groups at any given time with weapons and money, we sponsor coups and bully other countries into actions... Our imperialist policies cause the deaths of thousands (maybe more) of people the world over who didn't pose a threat at all, let alone already attacked us.

For clarification, the belief I'm talking about is our view of representative democracy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 11:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
The best part of waking up
Is folgers in your cup!
Once worked for a place back in the US where Folgers was too classy/expensive for the office brew.
Have to say, it tasted much better in comparison to the crap they used.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 11:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

For clarification, the belief I'm talking about is our view of representative democracy.

To actually clarify, you mean "Do what we want you to do".
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 11:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Office brew.
Hotel Coffee.

Choose your Satanic coffee.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-04 11:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I know. I'm just getting impatient with scrolling through two or three pages of commentary that I read as nasally, whiny, fourteen-year-olds sniping and carrying on with...

It seems as though everyone has a pre-made list and are ticking off boxes according to stereotypes. Sifting through all this to find a substantial read... :/

wtf are you talking about? I failed algebra.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 11:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

wtf are you talking about? I failed algebra.
We're all up into tricknometry here.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 12:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Without going too far into the "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" concept, who are we currently killing who didn't kill/try to kill our citizens or allies first based on their own fervent beliefs?

You mean besides the people who were defending their homeland from us as invaders (liberators)? We support dozens of para-military groups at any given time with weapons and money, we sponsor coups and bully other countries into actions... Our imperialist policies cause the deaths of thousands (maybe more) of people the world over who didn't pose a threat at all, let alone already attacked us.

It's just hard for me to justify sitting back and letting bad things happen because "oh, it's not our problem, that's how they choose to live".
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 12:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just hard for me to justify sitting back and letting bad things happen because "oh, it's not our problem, that's how they choose to live".

I don't necessarily agree, but if you're going to stick your nose in every crevice that presents itself, you have to own up to the results, good or bad.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 12:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

There's quite a few areas of the world we do exactly that.

If we actually got involved in areas where bad things happen, because bad things happened, then you would have a better point.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 12:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
If we actually got involved in areas where bad things happen, because bad things happened, then you would have a better point.

We do some. Not enough.

I'm still not sure why the world seems to be dragging its collective feet about ISIS or Boko Haram.

Not enough money in it, apparently. >:(
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2015-05-04 12:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The concept I live by is: "If it doesn't affect me in a noticeable way, I don't care about it."
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 12:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
The concept I live by is: "If it doesn't affect me in a noticeable way, I don't care about it."
So there!

Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 12:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

We do some. Not enough.

I'm still not sure why the world seems to be dragging its collective feet about ISIS or Boko Haram.

Not necessarily, it's more that they can sit back and enjoy the benefits of someone else paying for it. Look at countries like Germany that have modern infrastructure and energy grids, look at Sweden and Finland with their hugely successful public programs, France and it's high speed rail systems, etc. All of that money they don't have to spend on military because we do it for them. It's been 70 years, Europe can row it's own boat, we should be spending enough to protect ourselves from any aggressor AT HOME and take a few hundred billion of the dollars we spend protecting Belgium from the Nazi's every year on our infrastructure.

(I'm aware we don't spend hundreds of billions on Belgium)
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 12:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »

I keep trying.

Never seems to work.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 12:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

AT HOME and take a few hundred billion of the dollars we spend protecting Belgium from the Nazis every year on our infrastructure.

I think Belgium can take him. Just a hunch.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 12:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

AT HOME and take a few hundred billion of the dollars we spend protecting Belgium from the Nazis every year on our infrastructure.

I think Belgium can take him. Just a hunch.

Exactly my point.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 12:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not against spending less where we're really not needed.

In fact, I'm all for it!

Just maybe if we're going to pretend we're trying to help, let's do some real helping.

Start by ridding the world of cowardly terrorist regimes using religion as an excuse to try to take an evolutionary step backward.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 12:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The devil is in the details. How do you 'rid' the world of a global jihadist presence preying upon every disenfranchised soul looking to take up arms against the decadent West? Hell you don't even need to be disenfranchised, just willing to join the cause. Or willing to accept their flavor of Islam.

Death and mass execution flavored. Yum.

Bomb ISIS into oblivion, engage in every barbarous act of war, spend trillions on a war and you wind up just like the drug war - with alot of corpses. Considering our outsourcing methods of fighting wars, you wind up giving the enemy weapons to engage in perpetual warfare.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 12:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you 'rid' the world of a global jihadist presence preying upon every disenfranchised soul looking to take up arms against the decadent West?
That's easy. Instill their culture and economy with positive outlook while slowly demonizing the religious presence and showing what a negative influence that religious presence is to both the cultural and economic aspects of that society.

Now, doing that without overplaying one's hand is another thing entirely.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 12:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

We do some. Not enough.

Not necessarily, it's more that they can sit back and enjoy the benefits of someone else paying for it. Look at countries like Germany that have modern infrastructure and energy grids, look at Sweden and Finland with their hugely successful public programs, France and it's high speed rail systems, etc. All of that money they don't have to spend on military because we do it for them. It's been 70 years, Europe can row it's own boat, we should be spending enough to protect ourselves from any aggressor AT HOME and take a few hundred billion of the dollars we spend protecting Belgium from the Nazi's every year on our infrastructure.

Not sure if you are being facetious, but the US certainly has (and has had) plenty of money to modernize its infrastructure.
What it lacks is organized public individual will to do so.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 12:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The devil is in the details. How do you 'rid' the world of a global jihadist presence preying upon every disenfranchised soul looking to take up arms against the decadent West?
Stop treating criminal activities as military ones?
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-04 12:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

you wind up giving the enemy weapons to engage in perpetual warfare.

unless that was the plan from the start.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 12:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
you wind up giving the enemy weapons to engage in perpetual warfare.

unless that was the plan from the start.
Hey, if you are going to create perpetual warfare, might as well make a buck doing so.

Brings a new meaning in double dealing.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-04 12:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Since we've moved into this topic of helping/policing the world I'll post this that came out a few days ago. This is directed at "peacekeeping" activities and the byproducts that occur which are swept under the rug, by many nations.

UN aid worker suspended for leaking report on child abuse by French troops
Quote:
A senior United Nations aid worker has been suspended for disclosing to prosecutors an internal report on the sexual abuse of children by French peacekeeping troops in the Central African Republic.

Sources close to the case said Anders Kompass passed the document to the French authorities because of the UN’s failure to take action to stop the abuse. The report documented the sexual exploitation of children as young as nine by French troops stationed in the country as part of international peacekeeping efforts.

2006 incident
UN troops face child abuse claims
Quote:
Children have been subjected to rape and prostitution by United Nations peacekeepers in Haiti and Liberia, a BBC investigation has found.

Girls have told of regular encounters with soldiers where sex is demanded in return for food or money.

A senior official with the organisation has accepted the claims are credible.

The UN has faced several scandals involving its troops in recent years, including a DR Congo paedophile ring and prostitute trafficking in Kosovo.

The assistant secretary-general for peacekeeping operations acknowledges that sexual abuse is widespread.

Important issue:
Quote:
Under UN regulations, military personnel cannot be prosecuted in the country where they are serving, and it is up to the courts in their home countries to prosecute crimes committed.

Sexual abuse and prostitution increases in a country where peacekeeping missions are taking place.
Quote:
The issue with the UN is that peacekeeping operations unfortunately seem to be doing the same thing that other militaries do. Even the guardians have to be guarded
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-04 12:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

we'll *** bomb you straight into democracy!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 12:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

We do some. Not enough.

Not sure if you are being facetious, but the US certainly has (and has had) plenty of money to modernize its infrastructure.
What it lacks is organized public individual will to do so.

Mostly the former, but even at our current budgetary levels, we could easily shift some money around and push forward. We don't have any truly progressive economic policies or a party willing to push them. We have the guns and military party and the other guns and military party. The only thing that separates them is social policies the government has no business dictating.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-04 12:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
That's easy. Instill their culture and economy with positive outlook while slowly demonizing the religious presence and showing what a negative influence that religious presence is to both the cultural and economic aspects of that society..

Oh hell yeah, it's working like gangbusters in baltimore and st louis....

>.>
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 12:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Because apparently war/combat victors will claim their spoils no matter what, and apparently we can't evolve past part of those spoils being free sexual access to anything in that country with an vagina opening to stick their willy into.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10