Madison Bans Discrimination Against Atheists

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Madison bans discrimination against atheists
Madison bans discrimination against atheists
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 16:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
You do realize that every single pregnancy damages and changes a woman's body for life? There are life long affects to giving birth that occur regardless of any additional complications one can also experience during pregnancy, labor, and after labor
I assumed that that was fairly common knowledge. This just in, abortion changes a baby's body for life!

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-05-04 16:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Define damaging. Because if you mean life-threatening, I doubt many people have a problem with abortions in that case.
An unwanted pregnancy could be deleterious mentally, physically, and financially. It doesn't have to be life-threatening. The reality is that some people are not ready for the responsibility and having the kid won't magically change that.
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
We've been over this in previous threads multiple times. It seems that only you and Pleebo still can't figure it out because you guys keep bringing up the same argument ad infinitum.
That's because "it's complicated" or "nothing is black and white" is not an actual answer. Destruction of a fetus kills an innocent human (by pro-life "logic") no matter the circumstances surrounding conception. And if compassion for the mother is the appropriate response, then why can't that compassion be extended to various other circumstances where having a baby could be damaging?

Not having rape/incest exemptions is political suicide so it's convenient to fudge the logic.
Because if you are going to say to kill the kid to save it from having birth defects or mental illnesses, then what's to say that an irresponsible parent(s) could be categorized as a birth defect (since the kid can't choose their parents) or mental illness (the parent(s) won't take care of them, which will lead to a lot of mental and social deficiencies).

How many abortions were done in cases of rape/incest vs. mental/physical disorders to the child vs. mother endangerment vs. parents not giving a damn?
That's quite the slippery slope!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 17:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So, Pleebo, are you ever going to answer the question, or are you just going to deflect the subject?
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-05-04 17:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Asura.Ivlilla said: »
What's funny is there actually are strong arguments for why abortion should be illegal (except, in my opinion, in cases of rape, incest, gross deformity of the fetus, or danger to the health of the mother), it's just they're entirely based on logic and hurt people's feelings.

It doesn't really matter, anyway. In 50 years the Quiverfull movement and an increasingly large Muslim population will have enough clout to get it made illegal, although it would most likely take a constitutional amendment to do so, given that the nine wise souls in Washington are loathe to overturn set precedent.

It doesn't matter how "right" a "right" to abortion is, or how much you hate people forcing religious (or other) views on you. Democracy is mob rule and, as a rule, it seems the people who think abortion should be legal aren't having anywhere near as many kids as the people who think it should be illegal (fancy that), and children tend to have the same political ideology as their parents.

There's a whole slew of other things that could be brought up that are not at all related to religion, but they tend to cause severe hurt of the butt, as people are quite incapable of defending their beliefs (because beliefs are things you accept on faith, and questioning someone's deeply held beliefs or, worse yet, irrefutably demonstrating they are wrong, tends to such cognitive dissonance that further discussion is usually impossible).

My biggest problem with "the right"'s attempts to make abortion illegal, especially with no exceptions, is that they tend to care very much about fetuses before the mother gives birth, but it goes from being "fetus" to "baby", they seem to lose all interest.

Now is your chance to present some of those totally grounded in logic reasons that nobody else seems to have thought of yet.

Aside from the one mentioned above, that people who are in favor of abortion tend to not have as many children as people who are opposed to abortion, and that since children tend to 'inherit' the political beliefs of their parents, this means that over time the demographic slide towards the groups which think that abortion should be illegal becoming the majority means abortion will be made illegal?

Yeah, having religious nutjobs take over your country in 30 years doesn't really matter, since, hey, you'll be dead, *** all those kids who'll have to live in that society. I mean, that's what every generation has been doing the the ones that come after it, anyway, right?

Let's see.

Abortion being legal makes it significantly easier to have below replacement level birth rates. When you have below replacement level birth rates, the number of workers, and therefore taxpayers, declines. This means that businesses either need to offshore jobs, as there is a dearth of available workers, or need to import workers. Businesses being businesses, they will do things as cheaply as they possibly can, the law be damned. Importation of illegal immigrants, whose labor can be exploited for low wages for long and hard hours of dangerous work, means that the jobs in question, instead of having to pay more to make them competitive for the dwindling number of workers, are filled by people who will not be paying taxes (excepting possibly sales taxes, where such things exist), as, being undocumented, illegal workers, employees are not going to withhold earnings or report said employees to the government for tax purposes. This leads to a general devaluation of wages, loss of government income to support programs which allow for things like muh roads, the influx of workers, legal and illegal, who will take jobs for far less than native workers making it an employer's market, and the lowered income meaning that, since businesses will not reduce their prices, passing on savings to the consumer, but will merely pocket the money, that increasingly fewer and fewer people will be able to spend as much money as the businesses would like, total economic activity will decrease, and eventually the businesses will move elsewhere and the economy, and thus society, will collapse.

Shall I continue?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 17:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Define damaging. Because if you mean life-threatening, I doubt many people have a problem with abortions in that case.
An unwanted pregnancy could be deleterious mentally, physically, and financially. It doesn't have to be life-threatening. The reality is that some people are not ready for the responsibility and having the kid won't magically change that.

Going to prison can be deleterious mentally, physically, and financially. Actions have consequences, it's nothing new. Should we remove all consequences from everything while we're at it?
[+]
By volkom 2015-05-04 17:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Should we remove all consequences from everything while we're at it?

do it
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 17:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

We've been over this in previous threads multiple times. It seems that only you and Pleebo still can't figure it out because you guys keep bringing up the same argument ad infinitum.
That's because "it's complicated" or "nothing is black and white" is not an actual answer. Destruction of a fetus kills an innocent human (by pro-life "logic") no matter the circumstances surrounding conception. And if compassion for the mother is the appropriate response, then why can't that compassion be extended to various other circumstances where having a baby could be damaging? Not having rape/incest exemptions is political suicide so it's convenient to fudge the logic.

Why?
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-04 17:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You do realize that every single pregnancy damages and changes a woman's body for life? There are life long affects to giving birth that occur regardless of any additional complications one can also experience during pregnancy, labor, and after labor
I assumed that that was fairly common knowledge. This just in, abortion changes a baby's body for life!

Considering we are still discovering how far reaching those affects are on a woman I seriously doubt we are discussing the same things.

Brain changes, kegals for life, mineral defficiencies, joint issues, hormonal differences, etc. Besides the "common knowledge" your body will never look quite the same from relaxing of joints so that you get wider hips, stretch marks, less perky breasts from relaxin, etc, which do not necessarily occur for every woman.

This just in: anything a woman does or consumes during pregnancy changes a fetus for life. Would you like to start regulating how much sugar, protein, vitamins, water, cheese, fish, exercise, certain types of work, etc a woman can have and do during pregnancy? Stress levels release a hormone which alters the fetus brain chemistry.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 17:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to prison can be deleterious mentally, physically, and financially. Actions have consequences, it's nothing new. Should we remove all consequences from everything while we're at it?
You seem to be operating under the concept that choosing to have an abortion (for whatever reason) is consequence free.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 17:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from the one mentioned above, that people who are in favor of abortion tend to not have as many children as people who are opposed to abortion, and that since children tend to 'inherit' the political beliefs of their parents, this means that over time the demographic slide towards the groups which think that abortion should be illegal becoming the majority means abortion will be made illegal?

Actually, the current generation is far more left than their parents on average, at least on social issues. The idea that you get your political ideology from your parents is pretty outdated.

Quote:
Yeah, having religious nutjobs take over your country in 30 years doesn't really matter, since, hey, you'll be dead, *** all those kids who'll have to live in that society. I mean, that's what every generation has been doing the the ones that come after it, anyway, right?

Religiosity is pretty low among millennials, consider the current surge in religious fervor a symptom of their waning influence in society in general.

Quote:
Abortion being legal makes it significantly easier to have below replacement level birth rates. When you have below replacement level birth rates, the number of workers, and therefore taxpayers, declines. This means that businesses either need to offshore jobs, as there is a dearth of available workers, or need to import workers.

Jobs move offshore for financial reasons, our birthrate could drop a solid 10 points and we'd still have positive population growth. In fact, most of the decline in birth rate is among teens and single women 20-24. I don't see how that could be a bad thing.

Your doomsday economic predictions is nothing but a slippery slope fallacy based on an extreme overestimation of birth rate declines that are orders of magnitude more than we have. And, they don't constitute a legal obligation to outlaw abortion.

These aren't compelling logical arguments, they're just appeals to a different kind of emotion.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 17:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
How many abortions were done in cases of rape/incest vs. mental/physical disorders to the child vs. mother endangerment vs. parents not giving a damn?
Why does this even matter?
If the numbers matter, then it is morality by the numbers, which is pretty much moral quicksand.
By fonewear 2015-05-04 17:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is this was a discussion about atheism and abortion is a byproduct of being an Atheist or so the P and R story was told...
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-04 17:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The thing is this was a discussion about atheism and abortion is a byproduct of being an Atheist or so the P and R story was told...
Here at the Atheist factory, we use dead babies as fuel to turn good Christians into Atheist devilspawn.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-04 17:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Here at the Atheist factory, we use dead babies as fuel to turn good Christians into Atheist devilspawn.

I knew it the youtube video I just watched proved it !
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 17:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
You seem to be operating under the concept that choosing to have an abortion (for whatever reason) is consequence free.

Consequence free, consequence reducing, it's all just a matter of choosing which consequences you'd rather deal with.

Considering we are still discovering how far reaching those affects are on a woman I seriously doubt we are discussing the same things. Brain changes, kegals for life, mineral defficiencies, joint issues, hormonal differences, etc. Besides the "common knowledge" your body will never look quite the same from relaxing of joints so that you get wider hips, stretch marks, less perky breasts from relaxin, etc, which do not necessarily occur for every woman.

My wife studied that kind of stuff in college and still researches it from time to time. I know you think you're blowing my mind here with your trivia, but I've heard it before.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-05-04 18:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Or that an unprepared individual not having an abortion is consequence free. Or that adopting-out a child is consequence free. Or giving a child up to social services is consequence free.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-05-04 18:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Consequence free, consequence reducing, it's all just a matter of choosing which consequences you'd rather deal with.

Considering we are still discovering how far reaching those affects are on a woman I seriously doubt we are discussing the same things. Brain changes, kegals for life, mineral defficiencies, joint issues, hormonal differences, etc. Besides the "common knowledge" your body will never look quite the same from relaxing of joints so that you get wider hips, stretch marks, less perky breasts from relaxin, etc, which do not necessarily occur for every woman.

My wife studied that kind of stuff in college and still researches it from time to time. I know you think you're blowing my mind here with your trivia, but I've heard it before.

I doubt she meant it condescendingly toward you, directly. It was probably for the general thread-goers.

The excessive release of cortisol (the stress hormone) within a pregnant mother's bloodstream can effect future behaviors of a child and can also negatively effect IQ, from what I remember.

Hmmm...Does reading threads that degenerate to the topic of abortion with participants who are willfully ignorant of the bio-chemical intricacies of pregnancy release enough cortisol to effect a baby's IQ? Somebody here should really hop-to!

This just in: anything a woman does or consumes during pregnancy changes a fetus for life. Would you like to start regulating how much sugar, protein, vitamins, water, cheese, fish, exercise, certain types of work, etc a woman can have and do during pregnancy? Stress levels release a hormone which alters the fetus brain chemistry.

EDIT: I think what Kara was trying to get at was that an unplanned pregnancy could be the stresser that has the potential to, chemically, continue a cycle. I could be wrong, though.

Dietary restrictions are in place during pregnancy for a reason. There have been plenty of articles surfacing in the past couple of years about the rate of gestational diabetes growing in the US, also.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 18:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Or that an unprepared individual not having an abortion is consequence free. Or that adopting-out a child is consequence free. Or giving a child up to social services is consequence free.

Well at least the latter two give the child a chance at life. And I know pro-choicers love to bemoan the fate of adopted infants, but I'd bet money that a vast majority of them are happy that they didn't get aborted.

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
The excessive release of cortisol (the stress hormone) within a pregnant mother's bloodstream can effect future behaviors of a child and can also negatively effect IQ, from what I remember.

Even if that were proven to be true, "It likely has a lower IQ. Let's kill it!" seems to be eeking into eugenics territory. It might make the forums a nicer place, though.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-05-04 18:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if that were proven to be true, "It likely has a lower IQ. Let's kill it!" seems to be eeking into eugenics territory. It might make the forums a nicer place, though.

*** me! Who here said that?!? What we're saying is that some people will be negligent to their infant prenatally if it's unwanted. Jesus!

How is that conducive to the overall situation?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 18:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
*** me! Who here said that?!? What we're saying is that some people will be negligent to their infant prenatally if it's unwanted.

Jesus! How is that conducive to the overall situation?

Hmm, I was taking it as encouragement for women to get abortions if the baby is unwanted. If that wasn't your intent, then I'm sorry. Hilarious response though, [+] for that.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-05-04 18:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Abortion being legal makes it significantly easier to have below replacement level birth rates. When you have below replacement level birth rates, the number of workers, and therefore taxpayers, declines. This means that businesses either need to offshore jobs, as there is a dearth of available workers, or need to import workers. Businesses being businesses, they will do things as cheaply as they possibly can, the law be damned. Importation of illegal immigrants, whose labor can be exploited for low wages for long and hard hours of dangerous work, means that the jobs in question, instead of having to pay more to make them competitive for the dwindling number of workers, are filled by people who will not be paying taxes (excepting possibly sales taxes, where such things exist), as, being undocumented, illegal workers, employees are not going to withhold earnings or report said employees to the government for tax purposes. This leads to a general devaluation of wages, loss of government income to support programs which allow for things like muh roads, the influx of workers, legal and illegal, who will take jobs for far less than native workers making it an employer's market, and the lowered income meaning that, since businesses will not reduce their prices, passing on savings to the consumer, but will merely pocket the money, that increasingly fewer and fewer people will be able to spend as much money as the businesses would like, total economic activity will decrease, and eventually the businesses will move elsewhere and the economy, and thus society, will collapse.
Good heavens, every part of this is wrong. I mean, I can see where you got the idea, but... no, it doesn't work like that. At all.

A reduction in population means a reduction in demand which means a reduction in supply. What kind of lunatic is going to manufacture 5 million baby wipes for a population of 100 babies (disregarding how useful baby wipes are for things other than infant arses)?

More to the point, history has shown repeatedly that a reduction in the labor pool drives real wages up. The Black Plague is basically what created the late medieval middle class and World War II is what created the American 20th century middle class, and that's even in spite of the relative ease of shipping in the 20th century compared to centuries prior. The Baby Boom that coincided with the rise of the middle class is what's ultimately crashed the lives our grandparents and great-grandparents fostered.

It's one of those odd synergistic things where 10 people making widgets can produce at X/hour, but 1,000 people doing the same can produce at 100X+100/hour. There's lots of reasons.

Kill all the babies. The human species is the cockroach of higher mammals: even if 99% of us were wiped out, we'll survive and rise again.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 19:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Kill all the babies. The human species is the cockroach of higher mammals: even if 99% of us were wiped out, we'll survive and rise again.

[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-05-04 19:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

gfdi fone why was i not alerted about this religous or lack there of discussion
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-05-04 19:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

which is apparently now about rape babies...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-04 19:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

And here I thought that only happened in Oregon.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-05-04 19:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

i like my dead christian gay HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE cripple rape babies with grape jelly

edit: i forgot to say black as well
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-04 19:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
And here I thought that only happened in Oregon.

The only thing I know about the Pacific Northwest is that it rains and the hipsters love it there !
By fonewear 2015-05-04 19:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »

Kill all the babies you talking about Africa ? Last I checked most of the population of Africa is under 25...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-04 19:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Medical abortions are man made. God is a construct of man as well. Atheism is the result of rejecting previous man made ideas of the universe. Therefore, atheism is man made as well.

Nuclear bombs are man made.

Man itself is a product of nature.

In conclusion abortions, god, atheism, and nuclear bombs are all a product of nature and therefore can and will happen in all possible models and outcomes of the universe in regards to the space time continuum.

Any questions?
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-04 19:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

God is man made too, but y'knoooowwww....
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10