Madison Bans Discrimination Against Atheists

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Madison bans discrimination against atheists
Madison bans discrimination against atheists
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-03 22:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So basically people just need to shut up? I can't say I disagree with that.
If only banning discrimination on a social issue would do just that. All it ever does is make the voices louder and more obnoxious.
[+]
By Kaerin 2015-05-03 22:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how passing laws to protect Christians and white people is viewed as wrong because they're the majority and stupid people think they cant be discriminated against. But ***like this is OK. Where the hell is my naawp!?
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-05-03 23:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaerin said: »
I like how passing laws to protect Christians and white people is viewed as wrong because they're the majority and stupid people think they cant be discriminated against. But ***like this is OK. Where the hell is my naawp!?

Thats because as of late, those groups have been trying to force there religious views onto others through law. The only thing this says is that a group cant be discriminated against. Thats two drastically different things.
By Kaerin 2015-05-04 00:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

Thats because as of late, those groups have been trying to force there religious views onto others through law. The only thing this says is that a group cant be discriminated against. Thats two drastically different things.

You keep talking like that and I'm going have the naawp come after you for hate speech.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-04 00:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So basically people just need to shut up? I can't say I disagree with that.
If only banning discrimination on a social issue would do just that. All it ever does is make the voices louder and more obnoxious.
In theory, it could work. However, after being in the trenches for so long (18 years), I've realized that "spreading the message of god" is essentially indoctrination, which causes people to seem obnoxious about their views. In reality, many of them are doing exactly as they're told. The problem lies with misinterpretation, I fear. The bible mentions homosexuality like twice, and both times it's more frowned upon than a full-blown sin. Yet there's so much in there about stoning women who don't obey their men and apparently eating shrimp in some context is some sort of sin as well. Yet I don't see stones being thrown every time someone has a cocktail. So why all the hullaballoo over homosexuality? Some people find it icky and don't want to think about it. Others... repression is the word that comes to mind. These views are then absorbed into a specific society that one identifies with and blammo! It becomes a full-on sin. I'm using homosexuality as an example, of course.

Meanwhile, we have people who are adamantly being forced to hear their beliefs through their loud opinions, so only naturally does the other side come up with a few crazies of their own to combat this. I'm not saying that religious zealots begat atheist extremists, but it didn't exactly help. Anger only gives birth to more anger. Does anyone really think that someone's mind can be changed because they get yelled at more?

Then again, there's a part of mankind where some people like to go against the grain. For funzies. Take Friedrich Nietzsche, for example. The man wrote "God is Dead" just to see what kind of reaction he could get out of people. In the news earlier today, we had three people shot because a bunch of bold idiots decided to hold a Prophet Muhammed drawing contest knowing full well it would incur the wrath of Muslim terrorists. Why? Because they like to stir the pot. We got those people in the Atheist clan; people whose sole plan in life is to make the religious (Christians especially) get their panties in a bunch. And boy golly, does it work!

Can we silence those extremists on either side? Probably never. Do they make the rest of us look bad? You betcher *** it does. Case in point, the rancor from some of you aimed at the "liberal douchebags" who don't believe in an omnipotent being in this very thread. Not all Christians hate Atheists. Not all Atheists like to make a mockery out of those who believe in a god. Yet, the loudspoken will always paint us out to be worse than we are, and the division continues. The more we fight back, the more we fan the flames.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-04 01:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never heard of discrimination against atheist... what exactly is discrimination against atheist?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 01:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
In theory, it could work. However, after being in the trenches for so long (18 years), I've realized that "spreading the message of god" is essentially indoctrination, which causes people to seem obnoxious about their views. In reality, many of them are doing exactly as they're told. The problem lies with misinterpretation, I fear. The bible mentions homosexuality like twice, and both times it's more frowned upon than a full-blown sin. Yet there's so much in there about stoning women who don't obey their men and apparently eating shrimp in some context is some sort of sin as well. Yet I don't see stones being thrown every time someone has a cocktail. So why all the hullaballoo over homosexuality? Some people find it icky and don't want to think about it. Others... repression is the word that comes to mind. These views are then absorbed into a specific society that one identifies with and blammo! It becomes a full-on sin. I'm using homosexuality as an example, of course.

Far be it from me to defend Christian extremists, but just for clarification, shrimp being "unclean" and stoning as a punishment are both examples from Mosaic Law. According to Christian doctrine, that was fulfilled and replaced by a higher law, and thus is no longer observed. Any mention of homosexual sin, be it misinterpreted or not, is not applicable in the same manner.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-04 01:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Far be it from me to defend Christian extremists, but just for clarification, shrimp being "unclean" and stoning as a punishment are both examples from Mosaic Law. According to Christian doctrine, that was fulfilled and replaced by a higher law, and thus is no longer observed. Any mention of homosexual sin, be it misinterpreted or not, is not applicable in the same manner.

Admittedly, I vaguely remember this stuff, but felt too lazy to research it. There are some messed up laws in there, but... meh. It's bedtime.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-04 01:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The law is fulfilled by faith, not replaced. The book of Romans explains this much clearer than I ever could. I would suggest reading all 16 chapters.... It happens to be the book I have been reading the last few days...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-04 01:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
The law is fulfilled by faith, not replaced. The book of Romans explains this much clearer than I ever could. I would suggest reading all 16 chapters.... It happens to be the book I have been reading the last few days...

Uh, I've read it all numerous times. I don't want to get into a battle of semantics. It has essentially been replaced because it is no longer expected to be followed. Seems pretty clear to me.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-04 01:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh, I've read it all numerous times. I don't want to get into a battle of semantics. It has essentially been replaced because it is no longer expected to be followed. Seems pretty clear to me.
that was basically my understanding as well...
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-04 03:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never heard of discrimination against atheist... what exactly is discrimination against atheist?
One example: In 7 states atheists cannot hold public office.

article on why they are unconstitutional but still in state constitutions
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-05-04 03:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Historically or modern? America or world-wide?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

Cliff notes, for you.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 08:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

People didn't have a problem with the Religious freedom act because it protected a certain group... They had a problem with it because it basically gave one group carte blanche to descriminate freely against another group. Once you get rid of that part no one has a problem with it.

There were already laws in place protecting "christian and white people" anyways.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 09:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
There were already laws in place protecting "christian and white people" anyways.

But if you are serious, name the law that protects white people only.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-04 09:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
When your idea of oppression is two gay guys kissing or being unable to shove God up everyones orafice, you've ***the bed.
Entirely a false characterization of said complaint btw.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 09:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we all just agreed that we're all different, and that's okay. That we don't have to have the same theological or lifestyle beliefs (or lack thereof) to get along and live side-by-side; we just have to have a little bit of tolerance for things we may personally find distasteful but don't practice ourselves. It's as easy as "someone else practicing their own lifestyle doesn't invalidate yours".

Yet...I doubt it's going to happen in the lifetimes of anyone presently reading this forum.

Makes me sad.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-04 09:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Then again, there's a part of mankind where some people like to go against the grain. For funzies. Take Friedrich Nietzsche, for example. The man wrote "God is Dead" just to see what kind of reaction he could get out of people.

Granted it's been over a decade since I read Nietzsche but from what I remember of The Gay Science, it is really taken out of context when discussed. It is more discussing the morality of Christians and non-christians, discussing where morals would come from if God was/is dead.
Quote:
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

It's a philosophical question/debate rather than an absolute statement.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-04 09:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Meanwhile, vocal Christians continue to endear themselves to everyone.
I really wonder what personal experience you had that set you against the faith my friend.

I'm ready to be disappointed.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 09:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was but a wee lad, Christianity touched me in a bad place.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-04 10:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

name the law that protects white people only
I'm curious about this as well.

Currently there are no laws protecting whites from be targeting as being nothing more than white.

Maybe in about 30-40 years when white becomes the minority then there might be some, but right now I couldn't find any.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 10:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Maybe in about 30-40 years when white becomes the minority then there might be some, but right now I couldn't find any.
Even then, unless there are hate crimes associated with X race on white people, and lots of it, where they have no choice but to classify it as a hate crime (it currently is not considered a hate crime if a black person kills a white person based on the color of their skin), then there will be laws doing just that.

Expect it in the next century.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 10:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
People didn't have a problem with the Religious freedom act because it protected a certain group... They had a problem with it because it basically gave one group carte blanche to descriminate freely against another group. Once you get rid of that part no one has a problem with it.

Plenty do. We already have the only religious freedom law that ever needed to exist, and they further strengthened it with the civil rights act. It's a complete waste of legislative time.

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Meanwhile, vocal Christians continue to endear themselves to everyone.
I really wonder what personal experience you had that set you against the faith my friend.

I'm ready to be disappointed.

The same could be said for anything. What personal experience set you so against equality?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 10:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
What personal experience set you so against equality?
What makes you think he is against equality? Because it fits well in your counterargument?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 10:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What makes you think he is against equality? Because it fits well in your counterargument?

It's a rhetorical question designed to demonstrate the point that someone can be in support of something without being against something else. He doesn't need a white knight, bubba.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 10:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a rhetorical question designed to demonstrate the point that someone can be in support of something without being against something else. He doesn't need a white knight, bubba.
Doesn't matter if it's a rhetorical question or not, because you seem so gung-ho on demeaning him anyway, that you are willing to project most anything on him. Which is your style of argumentative response.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 10:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't matter if it's a rhetorical question or not, because you seem so gung-ho on demeaning him anyway, that you are willing to project most anything on him. Which is your style of argumentative response.

Man, you have a twisted world view...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 10:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, are you denying anything I said? If so, what part?

That you are gung-ho on demeaning people?
That you project most anything on people?
That this is a common tactic you use?

Hell, all 3 of these arguments are in your so-called rhetorical question that we are quoting back and forth.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 10:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

In fairness, every single one of us does all of these things at times depending upon who we're talking to/about or depending on the topic.~
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 10:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, are you denying anything I said? If so, what part?

Hell, all 3 of these arguments are in your so-called rhetorical question that we are quoting back and forth.

He who clearly does not understand "The devil's advocate" as it applies to civil discourse. Enjoy your psychoses, sir knight!
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10