Madison Bans Discrimination Against Atheists

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Madison bans discrimination against atheists
Madison bans discrimination against atheists
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Ragnarok.Yatenkou
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Yatenkou
By Ragnarok.Yatenkou 2015-05-04 10:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
What personal experience set you so against equality?
What makes you think he is against equality? Because it fits well in your counterargument?

It's a rhetorical question designed to demonstrate the point that someone can be in support of something without being against something else. He doesn't need a white knight, bubba.
Doesn't matter if it's a rhetorical question or not, because you seem so gung-ho on demeaning him anyway, that you are willing to project most anything on him. Which is your style of argumentative response.

Man, you have a twisted world view...
Wait, are you denying anything I said? If so, what part?

That you are gung-ho on demeaning people?
That you project most anything on people?
That this is a common tactic you use?

Hell, all 3 of these arguments are in your so-called rhetorical question that we are quoting back and forth.

He who clearly does not understand "The devil's advocate" as it applies to civil discourse. Enjoy your psychoses, sir knight!
Jassy ole' boy you are flailing today
[+]
 Bismarck.Dubai
Server: Bismarck
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2015-05-04 10:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem isn't someone being religious or atheist. The problem is the people, doesn't matter what he/she believes or does not believe in.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 10:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly we simply get rid of people then.

Thanks, Ultron!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 10:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
In fairness, every single one of us does all of these things at times depending upon who we're talking to/about or depending on the topic.~
Agreed.

He who clearly does not understand "The devil's advocate" as it applies to civil discourse. Enjoy your psychoses, sir knight!
Keep trying to justify your words!

First it was a "rhetorical question" and now, you are playing "devil's advocate"? What's next?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 10:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Quote:
Ironhide: [drawing his guns] The parents are very irritating...

Ratchet: [trying to calm him] Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Ironhide: Can I take them out?

Optimus Prime: Ironhide, you know we don't harm humans! What is with you?

Ironhide: Well, I'm just saying we could. It's an option.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 10:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

First it was a "rhetorical question" and now, you are playing "devil's advocate"? What's next?

It was always both... Have you had a head injury?
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-05-04 10:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ironhide: [drawing his guns] The parents are very irritating...

Ratchet: [trying to calm him] Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Ironhide: Can I take them out?

Optimus Prime: Ironhide, you know we don't harm humans! What is with you?

Ironhide: Well, I'm just saying we could. It's an option.

Michael Bay Transformers? BLASPHEMY!
By Yatenkou 2015-05-04 10:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Please just stop...the problem with any religious group or belief is that you'll have zealots in every group. College is a breeding ground for these types of people.

These vocal/physical fanatics give their group a bad name. Not all Atheists are bad, not all Christians are bad. However because of ignorance and assumption that one vocal person defines the entire group, you can't seem to get your head out of your *** and try to find the ones who are decent human beings, you'd rather lump them all into the same pot and go "Oh look the Christians are crying oppression"

It's pretty sad tbh, and no amount of justification from you, not Jet, nor Sparthos will be able to change my thinking on this one. Religion and law won't mix, that's obvious and needs to stay that way, otherwise we'll become the very thing we despise in the Middle East, a theocracy
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 10:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys do know that you can pose a rhetorical question and be the devil's advocate at the same time right?
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-05-04 10:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
You guys do know that you can pose a rhetorical question and be the devil's advocate at the same time right?
There's a difference between that and just posting crap tbh, and the latter is a majority on XIAH.com
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 11:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »
otherwise we'll become the very thing we despise in the Middle East, a theology.
A theocracy?
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-05-04 11:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

otherwise we'll become the very thing we despise in the Middle East, a theology.
A theocracy?
Yes that my fault, got study of on the mind..
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 11:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's pretty sad tbh, and no amount of justification from you, not Jet, nor Sparthos will be able to change my thinking on this one. Religion and law won't mix, that's obvious and needs to stay that way, otherwise we'll become the very thing we despise in the Middle East, a theology.

People can talk about whatever they and the people they converse with would like, but in the context of legislation, religion or the absence of it, needs to be left at the door, period.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough here, I am not in favor of this law. Maybe read what someone writes instead of assuming.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 11:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, when the question is posed a a rhetorical (which it wasn't) and also as a "devil's advocate" (which it wasn't).

Do either of you know what "rhetorical" means? Without changing the definition to fit this argument I mean.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 11:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a difference between that and just posting crap tbh, and the latter is a majority on XIAH.com
So you do realize that you can do that then? ok.

Regarding the "just posting crap" part I'd say that's pretty much judged on opinion usually.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 11:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

A theocracy?
Are there any actual Theocracies left? I mean the closest thing I can think of today is Iran.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-05-04 11:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we all just agreed that we're all different, and that's okay. That we don't have to have the same theological or lifestyle beliefs (or lack thereof) to get along and live side-by-side; we just have to have a little bit of tolerance for things we may personally find distasteful but don't practice ourselves. It's as easy as "someone else practicing their own lifestyle doesn't invalidate yours".

Yet...I doubt it's going to happen in the lifetimes of anyone presently reading this forum.

Makes me sad.

Can we all at least acknowledge that most of the participants on this forum probably have a laxed attitude toward religion or lack there of in day-to-day life, and these discussions are exaggerated/exacerbated by this condensed, little microcosm of opinions?

(Not specifically directed at you, Ramy.)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 11:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all Christians are bad??? My God, I can't believe I never realized this before. My eyes have been opened. My soul reinvigorated. My resolve broken by this epiphany. I've been touched.

Spoilers: Judge people by their actions, not by their self-imposed labels.

Spoilers: I may be critical of religion but it doesn't mean I don't respect people who follow it. Just as I expect people to respect my lack of faith and choices therein.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-05-04 11:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

A theocracy?
Are there any actual Theocracies left? I mean the closest thing I can think of today is Iran.

The Taliban operated under a Theocracy, and that's what ISIS is trying to do.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 11:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, when the question is posed a a rhetorical (which it wasn't) and also as a "devil's advocate" (which it wasn't).

Do either of you know what "rhetorical" means? Without changing the definition to fit this argument I mean.

A rhetorical question is one that is not meant to be answered but asked to convey an idea. In this case, he asked a rhetorical question of Pleebo insinuating that his opposition to religion must be the result of some kind of trauma. My response was a reframing of his opposition to marriage equality, to give perspective to his assertion.

"The Devil's Advocate" refers to the idea of giving a defense to the indefensible or undefended. Otherwise arguing from a perspective different than your own.

When you combine them, you get this...

The same could be said for anything. What personal experience set you so against equality?

The underlined is "The Devil's Advocate" and the bold is the reframed rhetorical question he asked Pleebo.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 11:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

So what you meant to say is that if we allowed religion and government to mix that we would become like an extremist terrorist group, not that we'd become like the middle east?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 11:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Can we all at least acknowledge that most of the participants on this forum probably have a laxed attitude toward religion or lack there of in day-to-day life, and these discussions are exaggerated/exacerbated by this condensed, little microcosm of opinions?

(Not specifically directed at you, Ramy.)

Oh, make no mistake, I fully acknowledge I go over-the-top here ideologically sometimes. I try to moderate myself a bit more these days, with varying amounts of success.

But yeah, it's an inescapable truth of internet forums; you can rally as hard as you want for your cause -- no matter what it is -- by virtue of relative anonymity.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 11:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The best part of waking up is shouting God is dead up and down the streets. Without any context.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 11:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The best part of waking up is shouting God is dead up and down the streets. Without any context.

The best part about waking up is that I can hit the snooze bar and go back to bed with my wife for 20 minutes before I have to face the hell that is human society!
By Yatenkou 2015-05-04 11:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So what you meant to say is that if we allowed religion and government to mix that we would become like an extremist terrorist group, not that we'd become like the middle east?

I'm not really saying that, but at the core we'd be like them yes. Would we be killing people for not agreeing with our beliefs? I cannot say as I cannot say a hypothetical future of it happening.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-04 11:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 11:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

We're already killing people for not agreeing with our beliefs...
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 11:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Without going too far into the "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" concept, who are we currently killing who didn't kill/try to kill our citizens or allies first based on their own fervent beliefs?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 11:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Without going too far into the "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" concept, who are we currently killing who didn't kill/try to kill our citizens or allies first based on their own fervent beliefs?

Are we talking about America?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 11:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The best part of waking up
Is folgers in your cup!
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10