Madison Bans Discrimination Against Atheists

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Madison bans discrimination against atheists
Madison bans discrimination against atheists
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 9 10
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 12:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
UN aid worker suspended for leaking report on child abuse by French troops
Quote:
A senior United Nations aid worker has been suspended for disclosing to prosecutors an internal report on the sexual abuse of children by French peacekeeping troops in the Central African Republic.

Sources close to the case said Anders Kompass passed the document to the French authorities because of the UN’s failure to take action to stop the abuse. The report documented the sexual exploitation of children as young as nine by French troops stationed in the country as part of international peacekeeping efforts.

I can see why they suspended the aid worker, but it's still shitty.

Quote:
2006 incident
UN troops face child abuse claims
Quote:
Children have been subjected to rape and prostitution by United Nations peacekeepers in Haiti and Liberia, a BBC investigation has found.

Girls have told of regular encounters with soldiers where sex is demanded in return for food or money.

A senior official with the organisation has accepted the claims are credible.

The UN has faced several scandals involving its troops in recent years, including a DR Congo paedophile ring and prostitute trafficking in Kosovo.

The assistant secretary-general for peacekeeping operations acknowledges that sexual abuse is widespread.

So, humans being humans? Not saying that we should accept such activity, but is it really such a surprise?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
but is it really such a surprise?

On some level it is to me because I don't get these types of violations.

Well, to clarify, I hate to say I don't "get" things, because I do. It's about power and domination and basically controlling others for your own gratification or benefit. I understand the literal and obvious "why".

But I don't get the mindset that says that's okay. Why don't these people have a trigger in their head saying "this is wrong, I shouldn't do this"? How is it that so many people lack the simple empathy to not commit horrendous acts of violation?

And why aren't we forcing these scum to be castrated, or at least sterilized?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-04 13:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
(I'm aware we don't spend hundreds of billions on Belgium)
They make some good beer there, so it's possibly worth it.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-04 13:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Not to mention chocolate !
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Not to mention chocolate !

Don't forget the waffles!!!!!!

*runs away before his old Belgian lsmate logs in and starts throwing things at him*
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-05-04 13:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
The concept I live by is: "If it doesn't affect me in a noticeable way, I don't care about it."

So if something like the Rwandan Genocide happened again in the world where 500,000 to a million people were brutally murdered, you wouldn't care at all since it doesn't affect you in a noticeable way?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »
Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
The concept I live by is: "If it doesn't affect me in a noticeable way, I don't care about it."

So if something like the Rwandan Genocide happened again in the world where 500,000 to a million people were brutally murdered, you wouldn't care at all since it doesn't affect you in a noticeable way?

Worked for Bill Clinton.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 13:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Why don't these people have a trigger in their head saying "this is wrong, I shouldn't do this"?
Because they think they can get away with it. And in some cases, they can.

And why aren't we forcing these scum to be castrated, or at least sterilized?
Agreed, if it wasn't for 8th Amendment.

Now, if the rest of the world starts castrating these sex offenders, then the 8th Amendment wouldn't apply....
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-04 13:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny where we draw the line on that one.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Because they think they can get away with it. And in some cases, they can.

Yeah, but, no. Not what I mean. Why do they want to get away with it? Why doesn't thinking about comitting the act repulse and disgust them?

Now, if the rest of the world starts castrating these sex offenders, then the 8th Amendment wouldn't apply....

*shrug* We still execute people. Of civilized non-theocratic countries (possible redundancy at play), only Japan also still executes people, I believe.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-05-04 13:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, but, no. Not what I mean. Why do they want to get away with it? Why doesn't thinking about comitting the act repulse and disgust them?

Not surprising if you look at the progress of people. Society is moving more and more away from doing what is right toward doing whatever satisfies your selfish desires.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-04 13:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Not all Christians are bad??? My God, I can't believe I never realized this before. My eyes have been opened. My soul reinvigorated. My resolve broken by this epiphany. I've been touched.

Spoilers: Judge people by their actions, not by their self-imposed labels.

Spoilers: I may be critical of religion but it doesn't mean I don't respect people who follow it. Just as I expect people to respect my lack of faith and choices therein.
Just don't let the pro-lifers have a say, cause before you know it masturbation will be a crime?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Just don't let the pro-lifers have a say, cause before you know it masturbation will be a crime?

See, that's where the "don't force your beliefs on others" comes into play. If pro-lifers want to pretend that a human being begins at conception, that's their business, but they can't use their belief to tell others they can't have an abortion.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-04 13:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's almost like being pro-choice gives you the choice to decide if you want to keep or abort.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-04 13:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

See, that's where the "don't force your beliefs on others" comes into play. If pro-lifers want to pretend that a human being begins at conception, that's their business, but they can't use their belief to tell others they can't have an abortion.
How is the pro-choice concept of when life begins not the exact same thing, just in the opposite direction?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 13:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish I could answer that, but I neither practice such behavior nor are versed in criminal psychology (except in cases of fraud).

*shrug* We still execute people. Of civilized non-theocratic countries (possible redundancy at play), only Japan also still executes people, I believe.

Legend:
Dark Green - Abolished
Green - Abolished except for extreme circumstances
Orange - Legal practice but not used in past 10 years
Red - Legal practice

China would be included too, one could argue India also, but I'm not 100% sure if their laws require Buddhism or Hinduism in practices.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Not surprising if you look at the progress of people. Society is moving more and more away from doing what is right toward doing whatever satisfies your selfish desires.

Yet every report available says crime as a whole is and has been trending downward for a long time.

And no, I don't think that's it either, because rape and sex as a spoil of war has been a concept for a very long time. Practically since society became a thing amongst humans. Hell, the Bible lays down guidelines for it. And, sadly enough, those guidelines are not "don't do it".
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

China would be included too, one could argue India also, but I'm not 100% sure if their laws require Buddhism or Hinduism in practices.

Yeah. I have to be honest, those other red countries aren't exactly a group -- for the most part -- with whom I want to be associated.

With the exception of China, India, and Japan, they also (appear to me) to all be countries with a very solid Muslim majority/ideology practiced by -- if not outright controlling -- their governments.

Edit: Though not sure how to interpret the South Pacific/Indian Ocean countries represented there. Assuredly some of them are also influenced by their association with China and have some fairly inauspicious regimes of their own...but not all of them.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

How is the pro-choice concept of when life begins not the exact same thing, just in the opposite direction?

...I don't know many pro-choice folks forcing people to have abortions? Do you? Do pro-choice folks stand outside of churches and ravenously cry for the pregnant women to be handed over?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 13:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I have to be honest, those other red countries aren't exactly a group -- for the most part -- with whom I want to be associated.

With the exception of China, India, and Japan, they also (appear to me) to all be countries with a very solid Muslim majority/ideology practiced by -- if not outright controlling -- their governments.

Edit: Though not sure how to interpret the South Pacific/Indian Ocean countries represented there. Assuredly some of them are also influenced by their association with China and have some fairly inauspicious regimes of their own...but not all of them.
There are quite a few green/dark green countries that are controlled by a Muslim ideology practiced by their governments also. In this case, I don't think you can make a correlation between ideologies and capital punishment.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 13:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

...I don't know many pro-choice folks forcing people to have abortions? Do you? Do pro-choice folks stand outside of churches and ravenously cry for the pregnant women to be handed over?
Give us your heroines! They are BAD! Federal Reserve bad!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 13:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Give us your heroines! They are BAD! Federal Reserve bad!
I admit, I laughed.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

There are quite a few green/dark green countries that are controlled by a Muslim ideology practiced by their governments also. In this case, I don't think you can make a correlation between ideologies and capital punishment.

Sharia law vs. not?

("OPEC vs. not" comes to mind to for some reason...edit: perhaps a combo of both, which would indicate a bit of correlation worth further review; keeping people under strict law to control the money and oil! He who controls the spice, controls the universe!)

One way or another, many of those remain countries most Americans wouldn't want to be seen as identifying with.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-05-04 13:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet every report available says crime as a whole is and has been trending downward for a long time.

And no, I don't think that's it either, because rape and sex as a spoil of war has been a concept for a very long time. Practically since society became a thing amongst humans. Hell, the Bible lays down guidelines for it. And, sadly enough, those guidelines are not "don't do it".

Just because something isn't a crime, doesn't mean it is right to do.

As for the Bible, it condemns having sex with someone that is not your spouse.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-05-04 13:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe it's too late for intellectual debate but a residue of confusion remains
Changing with the times and developmentally tortured minds are the average citizen's source of pain
"Tell me what we're fighting for"
I don't remember anymore - only temporary reprieve
And the world might cease if we fail to tame the beast
From a faith that you release comes an atheist peace
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-04 13:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It also lays out guidelines for marrying someone if you impregnate them by raping them, or what to do if you get a slave pregnant.

"Oh, well in that case, they're just your spouse now. Problem solved!"

I'm specifically talking about things like rape, or forcing children into prostitution. You don't need to believe in god to know those are terrible things to do, and you shouldn't even be allowed to pretend you're a Christian if you do those things.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-04 14:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask a question and you answer something else. How is the pro-life "concept" of "life doesn't start at conception" not being forced on people who believe otherwise by the legality of abortion?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-05-04 14:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It also lays out guidelines for marrying someone if you impregnate them by raping them, or what to do if you get a slave pregnant.

"Oh, well in that case, they're just your spouse now. Problem solved!"

I'm specifically talking about things like rape, or forcing children into prostitution. You don't need to believe in god to know those are terrible things to do, and you shouldn't even be allowed to pretend you're a Christian if you do those things.

It says to marry them based on where they were, because in those days if it was within the city then someone would have heard her scream and someone would have come to her aid (how unlike today with people not caring about others), so she must be lying to save face. However if it was in the country then no one could have heard her and so the man would be stoned to death (much stricter punishment than what we have today).
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 14:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask a question and you answer something else. How is the pro-life "concept" of "life doesn't start at conception" not being forced on people who believe otherwise by the legality of abortion?
He did answer that. People that do not beleive that are not forced to get abortions or even believe that is the case...

Was that not obvious?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-04 14:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, people that consider themselves to be pro-life and still allow for exceptions for cases of abortion or support the death penalty is just ludicrous...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 9 10