Black Vs White: Oppression Or Master Plan?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Black vs White: Oppression or Master Plan?
Black vs White: Oppression or Master Plan?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 12 13 14
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-12-19 12:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

White privilege again? Seriously? I am not "privileged" by government because I am white.
By fonewear 2014-12-19 12:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You remember 56K internet connections ? Pepperidge farm remembers!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 12:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Zackan said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Know what I call non-voters?

>_> Idiots. <_<

Honestly, the only elections I'm trying not to participate in are the local races because I know literally nothing about the candidates and pulling the lever on people I dunno is just a bad idea.

Further, voting for judges gets me the same way. Who the *** are these people? What the *** do they stand for? I dunno. Blank.

This honestly is the exact OPPOSITE attitude you should have.

If we talk about 'my vote doesn't matter' then that phrase somewhat can hold true in national elections. The Local Elections DO MATTER the most of any elections. A typical National election is won by like a million votes or more. A typical Local election is won by most of the time less than 100 votes, alot of times it comes down to less than 10-20 votes.

ALL POLITICS STARTS AT THE LOCAL LEVEL. Local elections are the ones you SHOULD care the MOST about! These also have the most direct impact on your life on an every day basis.

Honestly your rep or senator are there to do a job, and represent your district or state as a whole. It is not there job to care about you individually.

Meanwhile your council man, your superintendant, the mayor, your police chief... all these can have an impact on your day to day.

The problem is obtaining information on local candidates. I think that goes for most voters, they just don't have the appeal to make news segments and what campaigning they do is very limited due to their budgets.

And if they have a debate or something important it's relegated to public access hell.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-19 12:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
There might be some truth to that but even if that would still be our own fault. You are also contributing to that reality as well. You're just as complacent in accepting that Americans are just dumb in general and therefore will just accept what's coming to them. What are you doing? Are you actively working to improve our education system to improve the intelligence level of our children that will one day take over? Getting out and voting is one thing but are you voting for change or the status quo?

While i get the point of that in general, i wouldn't call my actions (or lack of action) as complacent. Being physically disabled, im lucky on days where i can wake up and actually get out of bed the first try; much less going around working on the country.

While i felt the way i do long before my injury, i will definitely admit that what happened to me and how i have to live now has most certainly amplified those feelings.

(couldn't resist)

Being injured the day before ones 21st birthday, being strung about, sent to a fake doctor, massive malpractice, and a corrupt + greedy corporation... it has a way of stiring ones mentality.
So i may not be able to go out there and do anything, so i do the only thing i can; come into places like this and try to discuss things. (of course intelligent conversation on the internet is often as rare as a real lesbian in a lesbian chat room...) but its all i can do atm'
By fonewear 2014-12-19 12:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I read the local newspaper to stay informed. I tells ya I'm old.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 12:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I completely agree with you. Local votes are often only a couple thousand but how many of those people are just voting party line? Local races are often notoriously recluse and it's difficult to get an informed vote in when the majority of said races involve the old 'blitz the polling joint on election day' yelling vote for candidate X. Or some of the most cliche ***ever.

I like to think my problem is one many other people have. Or maybe I'm just a lazy sod.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 12:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I read the local newspaper to stay informed. I tells ya I'm old.

*carts out the embalming fluid and bandages*

Hey! I read my daily paper though it seems some of the articles are more concerned with word puns and photoshop than delivering substance.

Look, look! We shopped the Mayor's head on a jackass.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-19 12:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to think my problem is one many other people have. Or maybe I'm just a lazy sod.

Actually, in this case i will have to agree with you. I lived in the same town from birth to 26~. Its about a one square mile town, so fairly small. Despite that, ppl never new when any local election day was. It was like a big secret. There were no advertisements. No banners in town, not even a sign stuck in the ground that said 'vote this day' You had to go out of your way to find out this information. And that's just to find out a date, imagine finding out about candidates.
By fonewear 2014-12-19 12:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus there is an advice column this is always good for a laugh.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 12:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The opinion section of my daily circulars reminds me that there are worse places than FFXIAH's P+R forums.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-19 12:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The opinion section of my daily circulars reminds me that there are worse places than FFXIAH's P+R forums.

Jezebel and Huff Post come to mind...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 12:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Jezebel and Huff Post come to mind...

It's like the geriatric YouTube comments section. Armed with 6 exclamation points I'm going to rail about missed garbage pickups, the conspiracy to turn the city into a giant pothole or why we don't just shoot every dog off a leash to send a message to those menace dog owners.

Sometimes I think the editors have become ill from digesting years of this putrid ***and serving it up for readers.
[+]
By Zackan 2014-12-19 12:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I completely agree with you. Local votes are often only a couple thousand but how many of those people are just voting party line? Local races are often notoriously recluse and it's difficult to get an informed vote in when the majority of said races involve the old 'blitz the polling joint on election day' yelling vote for candidate X. Or some of the most cliche ***ever.

But this is my point, you say local people are well known enough and they don't have the money to spend on advertising.

a couple things on this: \
1: they dont need near the same amount for advertising, then need to advertise in there respective district and thats its.
2: People should just generally CARE more about local elections, go out of there way to find out about THESE candidates. I think everyone should vote in EVERY election.... BUT.... if i HAD TO CHOOSE 1 election over every other that i believe people should truly care about.... its local elections, especially if your local election is an incorporated city.
3: The nice thing about local elections is they are small. yes most the time people may vote 'along party lines' and people at the polls 'telling the uninformed who to vote for' but both of these are EXTREMELY easy to counter.. If i have a good record and really want a local positions, its extremely easy for me to do a grass roots movement to get people aware of who I am
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-19 13:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Just one question, to the bold: are you asserting that some of the other cases we discussed, their history of substance abuse wasn't relevant?
Only facts that matter are what happened at the moment in question. Their history, good or bad, is circumstantial.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 13:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Just one question, to the bold: are you asserting that some of the other cases we discussed, their history of substance abuse wasn't relevant?
Only facts that matter are what happened at the moment in question. Their history, good or bad, is circumstantial.
So, when the facts that matter isn't helping your agenda, it's circumstantial?

Since we are talking about a dead person, having a current history of substance abuse matters...
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-19 13:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I said good or bad it doesn't matter. Read please.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 13:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I said good or bad it doesn't matter. Read please.
And I'm saying it does matter.

The reason being that the current history reflects the person up until the time of death.

People do not automatically change instantaneously, especially in cases of substance abuse....

So, like I said before, you don't consider substance abuse matters if it goes against your agenda.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 13:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just going to have to disagree, it matters as part of a character testimony. But then again it depends on the situation as well*
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-19 13:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Their history was unknown at the time of the incidents. Therefore, irrelevant.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 13:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Their history was unknown at the time of the incidents. Therefore, irrelevant.

Like I said: going to have to disagree.

edit: but if you want to play that, all history is irrelevant, which we know isn't the case.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-19 13:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just going to have to disagree, it matters as part of a character testimony.

Their history as in the individuals history may come into play
Their history in terms of there race's history is something entirely different tho.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-19 13:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What was in question was if the police were justified in their actions. Seeing how a cop can't review a suspect's Twitter history in the few seconds they have to make a judgement call, I would say that makes it pretty irrelevant. Only reason to drag this ***out is to muddy the waters.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 13:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What was in question was if the police were justified in their actions. Seeing how a cop can't review a suspect's Twitter history in the few seconds they have to make a judgement call, I would say that makes it pretty irrelevant. Only reason to drag this ***out is to muddy the waters.
If the cop is saying that the victim was acting incoherent, showing that the assailant/victim has a current history of substance abuse proves the cop's claim that the assailant/victim was acting incoherent at the time of the victim's death.

Same goes to a person with a violent history, in regards to a kid reaching into the officer's car to assault the officer.

But I'm sure that you will say that's irrelevant when the officer is accused of racial profiling and hate crime.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-19 13:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly, why are police not forced to wear cameras while on duty? we have the technology, the costs are minimal

end up in a deadly encounter and just happen to have your camera off/malfunctioning in a society where they're normally on? that's certainly going to cast a doubt on your case

(don't get me wrong, in my eyes michael brown was 100% guilty and everyone rioting or arguing otherwise needs to check their privilege.. but digital recording is cheap and would remove the gray area from all of these stupid cases)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 13:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
honestly, why are police not forced to wear cameras while on duty? we have the technology, the costs are minimal
Police Union mainly.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 13:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Because who wants to be recorded all day? It's pretty invasive even if its effective.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-19 13:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
If the cop is saying that the victim was acting incoherent, showing that the assailant/victim has a current history of substance abuse proves the cop's claim that the assailant/victim was acting incoherent at the time of the victim's death.
That's practically the definition of circumstantial evidence.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-19 13:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all day, just during their work day. Are you going to tell me they don't have security cameras in settings where employees handle high value goods? Human lives are pretty high value by most estimations.

Campuses are considering/implementing grounds-wide security cameras for the incredibly rare rape cases. People have dashboard cameras, cell-phone cameras, home-security cameras. You've been recorded several times this month if you go outside at all.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-19 13:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the argument was that they would be required to turn them on when they were engaging people or criminals so they would have a recording of the interaction but they argument against was that someone would have the ability to record them whenever or wherever.

The union is against it because it can be used against the officers in a myriad of ways and they don't want that!
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-19 13:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone should be allowed to record them whenever or wherever while they're on duty. Go off duty, take off the camera, what's the problem? The state is paying for their service, they don't have a right to overlook how it's conducted?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 12 13 14