Black Vs White: Oppression Or Master Plan?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Black vs White: Oppression or Master Plan?
Black vs White: Oppression or Master Plan?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-29 13:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

On topic (somewhat):

Can I sue this thread for the unneeded torture that is itself?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-29 13:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
On topic (somewhat):

You can have my Yu-Gi-Oh collection, that's worth at least 300 bucks.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-12-29 13:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-29 13:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

And the King of Pop would know, he was every race at least once.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-29 13:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
On topic (somewhat):

Why does that not surprise me?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-29 13:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

On topic (somewhat):

Why does that not surprise me?

If I wanted to surprise you I'd have whipped out the Final Fantasy memorabilia or recited the speech from Lord of the Rings for XIAH.com.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-29 13:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That wouldn't surprise me either.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-29 13:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
Hmmm guess I missed the boat on suing the state from when the cops punctured my lung

Sorry fatty, you deserved it.

Stop scarfing down burgers and slurping shakes and start working out so you can puncture the cops lungs before they poke yours. Lifting does not involve boxes of Five Guys.
Lol I was 12 and a stick figure at the time you could have seen an olive in my stomach
By barkley1 2014-12-29 14:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »

Never understood why the black version had the white Pokemon, but the black had the white......

Zekrom was cooler though (Not just saying that cause I am black)
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-12-29 14:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

barkley1 said: »
Never understood why the black version had the white Pokemon
contrast
[+]
By barkley1 2014-12-29 16:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
Never understood why the black version had the white Pokemon
contrast

Ah^^

The past titles followed the color scheme, I just thought these two titles would as-well.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-29 17:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

So, it is ok to kill all whom break the law? The guys (Whom were probably paid) in the video acknowledge it was a small petty thing for someone to loose their life.

You keep arguing he was not choked; but your post implied he was suffocated, why could he not breathe? Cause he was fat? my roommate was fat in college and slept on his side ....so being fat lying on his side solely caused the death? The police had nada to do with it?

This is pretty much for all the posters in denial, a yes or no deal, Did the police contribute to Eric's death?

I see nobody saying this, only the cop out "He was not choked."

Someone have the gall and courage to say, no, the police did not contribute to Eric's death; otherwise arguing over a proper choke hold is senseless.

"Hey, I knocked some elderly dude out, but it was not a proper
jab."

Never said it was OK to kill in this instance, fortunately that's not what happened, his death wasn't on purpose.

He was not choked, his airway wasn't blocked, the autopsy supports this.

He suffocated due to a combination of how he laid, the altercation and his asthma, and him being severely overweight.

I never said that the police had nothing to do with it, but they were in every right to arrest, and take down a person resisting arrest.

The question is though, was there negligence or improper conduct in the arrest/handling of the situation that contributed to his death, and the answer to that is no.

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Jetackuu said: »
1. There was no "choke hold"

Eric Garner's "Submission Hold"
Whatever happened to seeing is believing?
Nice 1 sided view, of a person resisting arrest.

His hands moved from their original location, and the move was meant to take him down with leverage (due to size) not to choke him out. I've watched the video over a dozen times, he wasn't putting pressure on the trachea, which the autopsy would show if he was, as it would have damage.

Odin.Jassik said: »
And choking a man to death is still homicide.
Good thing that they didn't choke him.

It wasn't a chokehold. He was giving Garner a deep neck massage.

"Did I crush your windpipe? Hehe, don't know my own strength."

Good thing his windpipe was never crushed.

Calling a dead guy a 'fat ***', dayum.

I'm just about ready to say every fat person in America who dies of congestive heart failure decided to self-deport from this mortal coil. I'm sure the families will be thrilled.

He would make a horrible attorney.

"The main reason he probably died? because they had him on his side for several minutes where the fat *** couldn't breathe, because (surprise surprise) he was too fat."

Basically admitted the cops had a big hand in this.

Even accomplices whom do not actively participate in a crime are charged, but people whom physically participated are not?

There was no crime, procedure was followed, maybe procedure needs changed to account for people who might have medical conditions, but it's hard to say.

Awww, why did you have to go and ruin their fun, lol.

They only see what fits their argument, and talk themselves into believing it.
Nothing was ruined, and I did my research before forming an opinion, and looked up several sources.

Jet is literally so far off base here he's literally no longer on planet Earth. Last I heard his argument was floating around the Asteroid Belt.
Maybe off your base, but as your base is supporting a criminal, yeah I don't want to be on that base.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-12-29 18:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me ask you this, Jet. Was the person who performed the autopsy white?

#windpipegate
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-29 18:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

A windpipe doesn't have to be crushed for strangulation to be the cause of death. Choking also has multiple components, asphyxiation being caused by lack of oxygen to the brain, being caused by limiting air supply, blood supply, and exertion. All of those can be exacerbated by his obesity or asthma, but the arm around the neck is the cause.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-29 18:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Let me ask you this, Jet. Was the person who performed the autopsy white?

#windpipegate

I'm pretty sure that he's had more than one by now, I really don't feel like looking.

But if we're going to talk conspiracy, at least that's fun.

let me go find my tinfoil.

On a more serious note: I'm a few inches shorter, and not quite as big as Eric Garner was, and had childhood Asthma, I really need to start exercising, I'm not quite as far out there but my health has gone down a good bit in the past few years, can't lift half of what I could in 2007, and I probably wouldn't even try to sprint right now. A family member had a bypass about 1.5 years ago now, and I remember from what the doctors were telling him to get his heart rate up for about 30 minutes a day at least once and it does wonders. Of course I'll take it slow, but if I still did the dumb ***I did as a teenager, it could easily be me dead on the way to the hospital, and I'm white.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-29 18:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A windpipe doesn't have to be crushed for strangulation to be the cause of death. Choking also has multiple components, asphyxiation being caused by lack of oxygen to the brain, being caused by limiting air supply, blood supply, and exertion. All of those can be exacerbated by his obesity or asthma, but the arm around the neck is the cause.
Yet it wasn't the COD, so no.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-29 18:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet it wasn't the COD, so no.

NBCnews

Quote:
The medical examiner said compression of the neck and chest, along with Garner's positioning on the ground while being restrained by police during the July 17 stop on Staten Island, caused his death.

Quote:
Garner's acute and chronic bronchial asthma, obesity and hypertensive cardiovascular disease were contributing factors, the medical examiner determined.

I don't know if multiple autopsies have been performed, I honestly haven't spent a lot of energy on this case, but that's what the autopsy has reportedly said by every source I can find.

Another link I haven't finished reading in it's entirety from Columbia Law School breaks down the whole thing and cites sources.

Columbia Law School
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-12-29 18:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking at Daniel Pantaleo's history, how is this guy still a cop with all these court cases against him?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-29 18:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Looking at Daniel Pantaleo's history, how is this guy still a cop with all these court cases against him?

That's a very good question. Officers aren't machines, everyone is bound to make mistakes and one misstep shouldn't end a career, but it seems that far too many zealous officers are protected from consequence.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-29 18:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I've read the first link a few times, it still doesn't assert that there was pressure applied to the trachea. I've covered that the incident, and his positioning on the ground made him unable to get oxygen, which was due to his size and asthma. I already conceded that they should probably address procedure on restraining a person to the ground in such a manner, as obviously it's contributed to at least one death (not to mention, I'm sure it's uncomfortable as hell).

From your second link:

Quote:
What exactly is a “chokehold”?

Under NYPD policy regarding the use of force, contained in the NYPD Patrol Guide, “a chokehold shall include, but is not limited to, any pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.”[27]

According to a recent analysis by the New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board of chokehold incidents, “the Department policy appears to be broad in its understanding of respiratory neck restraints….The definition of a chokehold is a two-pronged test. The first prong is the definition of a chokehold as ‘any pressure to the throat or windpipe.’ The second prong is the definition of any pressure that ‘may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.’ ”[28]

It has been said that there is a difference between a “chokehold,” a “headlock,” and a “take down maneuver taught at the Police Academy.”

There are varying definitions of a chokehold. It is important to distinguish among these types, as they can pose different threats to the life of a suspect. In particular, these definitions differ on where the pressure from a forearm is placed around the suspect’s neck. Specifically, chokeholds can be distinguished between “blood chokes” and “air chokes.”

A “blood choke” is the application of force to the sides of the neck of the suspect to constrict the carotid artery, thereby stemming the flow of blood to the brain. After a short time, the suspect will go unconscious. However, if the officer and the suspect are not stationary, the danger exists that the officer’s pressure will slip or move to the front of the neck, constricting the windpipe and thereby stemming the flow of oxygen to the lungs and the brain. That is, once the forearm is placed in the front of the suspect’s neck, the chokehold becomes an “air choke.” This can cause death by stopping the suspect from breathing. The NYPD use of force policy defines a “stay away from the neck” rule to avoid just these situations, and is one of the central reasons why chokeholds are banned by NYPD policy.

Whether the exact maneuver qualified as a chokehold or anything else would be a question to be determined by a jury.

I watched the video a lot of times, it looks like he shifted from the headlock, to an arterial "choke" (not a windpipe/trachea/airflow choke), which despite that link, have read from other sources that it isn't explicitly prohibited, however everyone agrees it can slip, and from the looks of it, it may have slipped over the trachea, but from the report, there was no damage to the windpipe, so no actual "choking" (the way we picture it) occurred, it would be rather easy to tell if it did, it leaves pretty hardcore evidence.

I can sympathize with both perspectives, and can certainly see especially without looking at it closely as to why it looks like the cop choked him out and they left him to die, but between the EMT response (unless we're going to say that's a conspiracy too) and the separate autopsies, just going to have to go with "at best" of a take down gone bad, and it wasn't intentional for that to happen.

Now that being said: even in the worst case based on the facts, if there's no history of it with that Officer, then possible discipline and retraining. If there's history, discipline, retraining, possible termination.

Quote:
London said the widely circulated video doesn’t show the full conversation between Pantaleo and the other officers who responded after Garner was caught selling loose, untaxed cigarettes outside a Tompkinsville store. The video also doesn't show, London said, that Pantaleo waited for reinforcements before using a police tactic the officer and the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association have said is not a chokehold, which is forbidden under NYPD policy, but a legal takedown move taught by the police department.

London said the grand jury reviewed two other videos in addition to the amateur clip that Pantaleo explained in great detail.

“He was able to explain every inch of the video and they went through it in excruciating detail,” London said. “The grand jurors were able to have any confusion in their minds answered by him.”

There's still an IA and Federal probe into it, if he *** up, they will nail his ***, but at this point people need to pick a different martyr for what issues do exist.
By Kir0s 2014-12-31 15:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Oppression. Why is this even a thread?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14