Black Vs White: Oppression Or Master Plan?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Black vs White: Oppression or Master Plan?
Black vs White: Oppression or Master Plan?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I'd love to see someone incite a massacre armed with a nailgun. They'd get knocked the *** out so fast they'd probably be the only one to die.

Like the old knife argument, the closer you get to another person with intent to kill, the more likely you're not Steven Seagal and are going to get *** up, put into a struggle, be unable to deliver a killing blow.

Don't remember the last time one happened with guns either, in the US.

note: not using the media's overuse of the word here.

However I am going to assume you meant cause, not incite.

But it would be rather simple to kill a large amount of people with a nail gun, probably would have to modify it a little bit depending on which one you have, and have some decent aim, but yes it is possible. I'm just not one to vilify a tool just because of the ease it is to misuse it.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Jetackuu said: »
I have yet to meet a grown adult male treat a firearm as a toy....
I have. You are fortunate.

There is an indelible picture in my head of this fool shooting himself in the chest while showing off the "safety" of an S&W model 59.

Nothing about the way you just described that was somebody treating it as a toy. As for "grown" I didn't put it in there to be redundant for "adult" I put it in there as a qualifier of mental capacity, as we all know there's 50 year olds who act like children, and I wouldn't call them grown.
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-12-19 10:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

18 people killed in the last 2 weeks in chicago and no one really takes much notice. black on black crime... all part of the plan?

2 people die while resisting arrest and everyone loses their minds!

/insertjokermeme

Most of the news is a form of entertainment. What will give the station the best ratings or the paper the best sales?

imo its best not worth it to get all upset over what is in the news or to get caught in the debate that the talking heads tell me are so important.

how about the 109 fatal accidents in IL alone for 2014 that were caused by or involved unlicensed drivers?

Or 1000+ rapes.... 500 murders! (2012...chicago only)

We could talk about the over all trend of less and less crime but thats not exciting! BREAKING NEWS, THE CITY IS SAFER THAN IT HAS BEEN IN THE LAST 10 YEARS! no one cares... its not exciting enough! (hell... assualts and auto thefts are down by over 50%!)

People only care about what the media tells them to care about... and they only tell them to care about the things that will be the most explosive.

stats n ***I used:
http://apps.dot.illinois.gov/FatalCrash/Home/CrashData
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Chicago-Illinois.html
http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess that ban on guns isn't stopping the murders in Chicago, huh?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 10:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Get the gun debate ***out of here, it has nothing to do with the OP.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-12-19 10:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with sparthosx. But cars killed more people than guns. and last i checked the gun ban was unconstitutional and tossed.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-19 10:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

People care about what people care about. People talk about things in the media and others act like that's all they care about.

As a resident of Chicago people don't alway get up in arms about the death toll because it's usually gang bangers killing gang bangers but when some kid gets caught in the crossfire it's always news and its always something people get pissed off about either way.

Another thing you have to consider is that people tend to care more about the things that have a possibility to affect them. Most of the violent crime here takes place in certain neighborhoods. If it's not yours then you're usually not concerned about it as much as you would be if it is.

With police coming down on citizens and killing them under questionable circumstances well then it becomes a bigger idea rolling around. Will I have a run in with that one bad cop? if I turn towards him will he *** that as a threat? If I'm bigger than him will that give him the excuse to assault me? Did he see something that looked like a gun? etc. etc. etc.

I even have conversations with some people at work talking about how they just do everything they can to avoid even having to be near cops because they're afraid of the hassle that they'll get or what they'll do to them. No one was ever afraid of getting killed by em but yeah and these are 50 something white guys.

law abiding people shouldn't have to fear interactions with law enforcement.

Edit: TL;DR just because you didn't see it in the media that people are upset over it doesn't mean that people aren't upset over it or trying to change it.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It actually has a good bit to do with it, as it's part of the supposed "problem."

The issue is the media is attention whoring, and telling us what the issues are, instead of reporting things and letting us decide.

All of the outlets are guilty of this, and it's not just one spectrum.
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-12-19 10:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

wow jet is almost at 30k posts.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-19 10:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There are almost 1000 deaths a year through auto accidents. I haven't been on the expressway recently so I haven't seen a recent count but last time I saw it ws only around 700 which is low for this time of the year.

In any case it's not that someone is using a car to run someone down in the majority of these cases but accidents.

I don't know the break down between accidental and criminal though (drunk driving etc.)
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kodaijin said: »
I agree with sparthosx. But cars killed more people than guns. and last i checked the gun ban was unconstitutional and tossed.
All gun regulation is unconstitutional, unfortunately it is not all tossed.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

wow jet is almost at 30k posts.
I don't even notice usually, I stopped paying attention when I got my one character to 9001 and changed what I posted with.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 10:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Suddenly, people have nothing to say about racism or acts of discrimination:

Better talk about Chicago.

Regarding the OP (peace be onto it):

The reason some Bosnian guy isn't making the headlines in this country is because America is primarily about a black v. white conflict that has existed for centuries. It pervades American society so deeply, it roots back to our founding. That's just how this game was played, the same way the Civil War was about... DING DING, slavery.

It's like going to Sarajevo and complaining about black issues. You're pretty much irrelevant. Is it unfortunate that a mans life was lost? You *** bet. But people die every day unannounced and it's a reach to say "well, the media didn't care about any of them!"
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-12-19 10:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Fenrir.Mariane said: »

That doesn't use powder to shoot nails. It uses compressed air.

So? It still launches a projectile.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I mean this one uses magnets and electricity, but it's still fires a projectile.

Who the hell said anything about powder?

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 10:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Because there is nothing more to say about it.

Or are you going to imply that racism only exists when a black person is killed by a white person, and that racism doesn't exist when a white person is killed by a black person?
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-12-19 10:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

thought this thread was gonna be about
[+]
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-12-19 10:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

On topic
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 11:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Or are you going to imply that racism only exists when a black person is killed by a white person, and that racism doesn't exist when a white person is killed by a black person?

Two completely different arguments.

One addresses the macro, another the micro. The macro argument is the one the media usually addresses as the macro directly effects the micro.

Does it make you feel better when a black person discriminates against some white people? Because the two don't even remotely match up evenly. Then there is that whole pesky history thing that needs addressing.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-12-19 11:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole problem here boils down to how banal it is to kill someone these days. Racism is just one facet of the problem.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 11:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
The whole problem here boils down to how banal it is to kill someone these days. Racism is just one facet of the problem.

I know right. If the Andy Griffith Show were to take place in the present him and Barney would have killed everyone in town then burned down Mayberry.

Poor drunk Otis would have been sent to do hard time in the federal pen and Opie would have been tased a few times.

We need more Sheriff Andy
Less Sly Stallone Judge Dredd
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 11:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Two completely different arguments.

One addresses the macro, another the micro. The macro argument is the one the media usually addresses as the macro directly effects the micro.

Does it make you feel better when a black person discriminates against some white people? Because the two don't even remotely match up evenly. Then there is that whole pesky history thing that needs addressing.
If you are going to compare how white people were racist towards black people in all of history vs. the opposite, then you will be correct.

However, the issue is racism today, not racism in the history of man.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-19 11:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just how this game was played, the same way the Civil War was about... DING DING, slavery.

It was a part of it. It was not solely about it. Its pretty well known to anyone that has actually studied the civil war. While the south wanted there slaves, there big issue was state rights. They believed the states should hold more power individually rather then a strong single government. That was why they seceded. Slavery was an issue of course, but it was mainly the publicized call to war. Its what got ppl up and willing to join the military more often then not.

Some ppl wont acknowledge it because then they lose a little bit of the race card power. Others just believe what government funded public schools tell them without question.

But aside from it being fact; it it rly that hard to believe? Its still the same today. Government vs people/person. Government has failed us but we do nothing about it. Congress this year had a 9% approval rating, yet none were in danger of losing re-election. Voter turn out was the lowest since WWII at 36.4% of the eligible voter population. No one will get off there couch and even try to do something about it. - Ferguson; guy gets shot and there are mass riots all over town and ppl out in force protesting all across the country.
The idea of the individual has always be the calling card in this country. And as a results, that's what gets publicized.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-12-19 11:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sucks to loose that "white privilege" doesn't it? Feels like your people and only your people are made out to be the bad guy all the time, doesn't it? Your people get murdered and swept under the rug, kept out of the public eye. While crimes with white criminals keep making the headlines, you will be stirred up with anger as you and your kind are demonized in the public eye.

We have enjoyed this white privilege for so long we don't even realize we have it until it starts to vanish, it's time to drink our own medicine of bitterness that we have for so long given to the rest of the country. (Yes, I'm "white")
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-19 11:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

congress may have had a 9% approval rating as a whole but then you have to go back to each individual state and see what the senator or house members approval rating is whener they actually get eleceted. They could be a part of that 9% nationaly for their work as a group and 75% at home where they get elected. Some stay in office because no one will run against them.

Also there were quite a few people that were just ousted from their seats.

As for the discussion on race. Where we are now has a lot to do with our history. Forget the history of all mankind and focus on American history. I hated you yesterday but since I don't hate you today then it's no longer there and you were never affected by it.

Edit: also, yes, the civil war was not solely about slavery. Freedom for slaves also wasn't just a side effect or something like that of the Union's victory.
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-12-19 11:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Endoq, cant tell if youre serious or sarcastic.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 11:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Sucks to loose that "white privilege" doesn't it? Feels like your people and only your people are made out to be the bad guy all the time, doesn't it? Your people get murdered and swept under the rug, kept out of the public eye. While crimes with white criminals keep making the headlines, you will be stirred up with anger as you and your kind are demonized in the public eye.

We have enjoyed this white privilege for so long we don't even realize we have it until it starts to vanish, it's time to drink our own medicine of bitterness that we have for so long given to the rest of the country. (Yes, I'm "white")
I got a good laugh out of that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 11:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The 'states rights' issue was primarily about keeping ownership of slaves, a large store of wealth in the agricultural south and the lynchpin of the plantation system that enriched the region. The divide between relative autonomy and a strong centralized government was something in play in the USA since the country was founded but the introduction of new states and the power dynamic that held for both ideologies came to ahead as certain states started to lean free and the clashes between abolitionists and people who were fine with a perpetual underclass, so long as they could make a living.

One could argue that the South was doomed either way since Cotton and Tobacco weren't going to last forever with industrialization and the West becoming a thing as America ascended to global competitor and emerge from its isolationist shell but to say the Civil War was about 'states rights' is disingenuous.

States rights to do what.

Further, since we're on about history, the effects of the Civil War are still readily apparent across the South and that was 150 years ago.
By fonewear 2014-12-19 11:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Endoq, cant tell if youre serious or sarcastic.

It's the internet anything is possible.
By fonewear 2014-12-19 11:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 11:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It was about more than slaves...

But it could basically be boiled down to the rich white man getting the poor white man to fight it's battles for them, as they were losing their easy money.

I mean after all they propped up the poor white man against the blacks by creating the racism as a divide, when they were all treated the same and about had enough of it, and it's been an ongoing process since then.

There's been a centuries long class warfare in the states, and the racism is just a byproduct of that, it's sad to say.

edit: but that's just one perspective, I've seen others that have merit as well, but the *** up thing is that a lot of the ***we're still dealing with today.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14