St. Louis Vs. The Police: Part III Apocalypse Nigh

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » St. Louis Vs. The Police: Part III Apocalypse Nigh
St. Louis Vs. The Police: Part III Apocalypse Nigh
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 18 19
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-26 11:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you miss the autopsy that pointed to a struggle for the weapon inside the car?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-26 12:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Can you all go pretend you live in a country where 93% of the time black men aren't killed by other black men (when they make us 6-7%) of the population somewhere else?
So because blacks kill blacks its OK that cops kill blacks?

Cops killing in general isn't an "OK" thing to do; Unless its justified.
People killing people in general isn't "OK" unless its justified.

In officer Wilson's case, the killing was justified and the evidence supports the decision.

If we bother to take a look at the officer killing a black guy here in ATX (was to the back of the head) that officer is being indicted.

I feel like the country turns a blind eye to problems when its a black person killing a black person. but as soon as its a white guy kills a black guy~ the ***hits the fan. But no one says a thing when a black guy kills a white guy.
This is also a skewed view. It's not every time that a white person kills a black person that it becomes national news or even any time that white cop kills a black man.

Say a black man pulls out a gun and tries to shoot a cop and the cop returns fire and kills the suspect. It will make a blip on the local news but no one cares more than to know that a supposed bad guy is now off the streets.

You put up a story about how an unarmed black kid gets killed by a cop and it tends to ignite something... key word there being unarmed and it was the same thing in the zimmerman case. It also highlights racial tensions in our nation that are very real.

There tends to be more questions asked when it comes to the point that an officer justifies use of lethal force on an unarmed civilian. Could it be justified? Yes. Is it harder to understand for some of us how it could be? Yes. When something comes up like this fueled by racial tensions and mass media reporting it happens. Clear cut cases don't always garner as much attention because there's not much to inquire about. Like when more and more details came out about this case more and more people either cemented their views or changed sides depending on what the information was... you could have supported the kid at one point then been like "oh that's what really happened?" then change your mind.

The protests and riots are just a symbol of the very real racial tensions in America. There have even been protests regarding this in my own city recently. There will always be opportunists out there using anything they can for their own gain but there are also be people out there fighting for real change and we should let the other voices drown these out...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-26 12:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you miss the autopsy that pointed to a struggle for the weapon inside the car?
I didn't see all 72 autopsies that they tried to do but did it report a struggle or did it conclusively say that it reported a struggle for the officers gun?
By volkom 2014-11-26 12:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Can you all go pretend you live in a country where 93% of the time black men aren't killed by other black men (when they make us 6-7%) of the population somewhere else?

In officer Wilson's case, the killing was justified and the evidence supports the decision.

If we bother to take a look at the officer killing a black guy here in ATX (was to the back of the head) that officer is being indicted.

I feel like the country turns a blind eye to problems when its a black person killing a black person. but as soon as its a white guy kills a black guy~ the ***hits the fan. But no one says a thing when a black guy kills a white guy.
So it's justified to shoot and murder an unarmed individual for punching you, now? No trial? Seriously? Since when did we all become Judge Dredd in this country? If this is how things are going to be in the U.S of A, *** you all, I'mma move to Japan where things are more sensible.

Why would the guy be punching you in the first place?

Would you feel like your life would be threaten if a 250lbs + guy punched you in the face? And if he continued to punch you? I would definetly since I only weigh 130.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-26 12:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »

So it's justified to shoot and murder an unarmed individual for punching you, now? No trial? Seriously? Since when did we all become Judge Dredd in this country? If this is how things are going to be in the U.S of A, *** you all, I'mma move to Japan where things are more sensible.

Why would the guy be punching you in the first place?

Would you feel like your life would be threaten if a 250lbs + guy punched you in the face? And if he continued to punch you? I would definetly since I only weigh 130.
Why does anyone punch anyone?

Does everyone who got into a fight ever feel like their life is threatened? Does a weight difference mean that person is out to kill you if he punches you?

Anything can happen in a fight but it doesn't necassarily neccesitate the use of deadly force. It definitely depends on the situation though...
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-26 12:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

These idiots should be ashamed of themselves.

Get off the highways. The rest of us who get up and go to work everyday to make the country work need to you know, go to work.

And 84% of white victims were killed by other whites. Most murders occur between acquaintances or within the neighborhood.

More statistics taken out of context to reinforce the negative stereotype. Thanks, Altima Nausi \o/
[+]
By volkom 2014-11-26 12:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Does a weight difference mean that person is out to kill you if he punches you?

Do you comprehend what the difference in weight can do if a guy punches you regardless if they want to kill or not?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-26 13:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you comprehend what the difference in weight can do if a guy punches you regardless if they want to kill or not?
It doesn't determine intent. Does that mean if a person weighs that much more then you if they punch you you should be able to shoot them because you think a punch will kill you?

You wouldn't be the first or the last to get punched by a person that weighs more than you and walk away from it.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-26 13:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
These idiots should be ashamed of themselves.

Get off the highways. The rest of us who get up and go to work everyday to make the country work need to you know, go to work.

And 84% of white victims were killed by other whites. Most murders occur between acquaintances or within the neighborhood.

More statistics taken out of context to reinforce the negative stereotype. Thanks, Altima Nausi \o/

You need better talking points today Pleebo (everyday really), your own report says in a few places that "Blacks are disproportionately represented among homicide victims and offenders."

If you distil everyone into black, white, or other (hispanics would be white in your report) the country is mostly white. Your comparison is "hey mostly whites are killing other whites in this mostly white country". Derp.

The fact that blacks (~14%) are responsible for 93% of black deaths is actually quite profound.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-26 13:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't see all 72 autopsies that they tried to do but did it report a struggle or did it conclusively say that it reported a struggle for the officers gun?

The reports I've heard about indicated that one of the gunshots Brown received was almost certainly fired at a very close range. The only time that realistically could have happened via the eye witness reports as well as the cops own story was when Brown was inside the car.
By volkom 2014-11-26 13:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't determine intent. Does that mean if a person weighs that much more then you if they punch you you should be able to shoot them because you think a punch will kill you?

The point being that with intent to kill or not, weight difference plays a huge factor in determining the damaging effects that would be had on the victim. If the victim feels like their life is threatened. wouldn't you agree they have a right to defend themselves?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-26 13:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The point being that with intent to kill or not, weight difference plays a huge factor in determining the damaging effects that would be had on the victim. If the victim feels like their life is threatened. wouldn't you agree they have a right to defend themselves?
Defend themselves how? Do you think every threat should be met with a bullet?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-26 13:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The reports I've heard about indicated that one of the gunshots Brown received was almost certainly fired at a very close range. The only time that realistically could have happened via the eye witness reports as well as the cops own story was when Brown was inside the car.
I can agree with you that that could be the result of him reaching into the car but it deosn't necassarily prove he was reaching for the officers gun.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-26 13:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you're right, and I suppose that all the eye witnesses could have taken acid that day and hallucinated their whole stories as well. Or we could have suffered some distortion in space time and somehow the gun could have fired itself. I mean what is reality anyways, am I real because I think I am?

Or we can act reasonably and conclude that short range gun blasts, + numerous gunshot wounds consistent with charging at a police officer, + bruises on the cops face means the suspect hit the cop inside the car, struggled with the gun that went off then backed off only to charge at the cop who had to fire 10 more times to put him down.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-26 13:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow this made it past page 9. Kudos!
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-11-26 13:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Oh wow this made it past page 9. Kudos!
Yeah, I had to sleep last night.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-26 14:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You need better talking points today Pleebo (everyday really), your own report says in a few places that "Blacks are disproportionately represented among homicide victims and offenders."

If you distil everyone into black, white, or other (hispanics would be white in your report) the country is mostly white. Your comparison is "hey mostly whites are killing other whites in this mostly white country". Derp.

The fact that blacks (~14%) are responsible for 93% of black deaths is actually quite profound.
Um... that's conflicting logic. The numbers describe the proportion of white victims killed by white perpetrators and black victims killed by black perpetrators. Their respective proportions to the total population doesn't factor in. As the report says, most murders were intraracial. I don't see why this is "profound" when you consider the two numbers are comparable.
[+]
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-11-26 14:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I admit, I only skimmed this page and didn't pay much attention. No caffeine yet. But I saw that someone uttered the name "Andrew Zimmerman" and I didn't see anyone say anything nor bat an eye. So here you go;

Andrew Zimmern: Eats bugs and phallic shellfish.

George Zimmerman: Kills black kids because he masturbates to the idea of being a cop.

Rofl...I've been watching to much Bazaar Foods got the names Andrew and George mixed up. Haha. ^^'
By volkom 2014-11-26 14:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Defend themselves how?

You tell me
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 14:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Protectorchrono said: »
Didn't something like this or something similar to this occur a couple years ago? Andrew Zimmerman trial about him killing a black youth? This is basically similar to what happened a couple years ago...Zimmerman gets off Scott free (like this policeman did), people riot, businesses torched, etc etc. Slightly same situation, but different scenarios.

So I guess this policeman is the new Andrew Zimmerman?

But yeah, this whole case should have been handled better. Most of us not being there at the scene to witness this can only go with what the news tells us, the media could have possibly covered up something about this and what really transpired with Michael Brown and the the policeman.

Either way, it's sad, another life is lost and no real justice served. I feel for the parents.
Yes another thug that happened to be a black youth got shot while being a worthless thug, and people lost their *** minds over that stupid ***that had nothing to do with race. Did it have to do with race this time? other than that the guy fit the description of a recent robbery, doesn't look like it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's a real fight to be fought, but this isn't the battle to pick and chose to rally behind.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 14:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You tell me
with whatever force they feel is necessary to protect their lives at the time, including deadly.

That's the point of self defense.
[+]
By volkom 2014-11-26 14:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
You tell me
with whatever force they feel is necessary to protect their lives at the time, including deadly.
<3
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-26 14:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how you guys hold tightly to the idea you need to be a thug in order to get unequal force used by cops. While we hash out this one skirmish, such policies as stop 'n frisk and unequal punishments for simple violations like pot busts are still on the record. Time served black v. white for the same crimes? Unequal. Rate of drug busts? Unequal. That joke about driving while black? Still a thing. What, did you think a joke wasnt rooted in some truth? The system is designed to malign blacks at the expense of whites. One for being generally poorer and again for being black.

The idea of white superiority is still alive and well in this country. This idea manifests itself in law enforcement and the legal system.

The secret is you don't need to do anything to catch force as being black is enough. That is the problem. The minute you engage a police officer, the preconceptions about an entire race come into play. You can use Queens English or urban drawl, you're still not white and extra scrutiny be upon you. Throw yourself at the mercy of whoever has the badge and hope. When an entire race of people can almost always go on record about how tense being around police officers can be, you know it's an issue.

Even the most learned black people, ***even the President, has a story about discrimination as a black male. But hey, it's only thugs getting popped for crimes. The good black folk aren't being caught up in a racist superstructure!

Police overreach is already a thing across the board with militarization being the modus of Mayberry PDs across the country and who wouldn't given the free money being thrown around in the post 9/11 world. This topic tends to engage whites, especially the same type who preach the gospels of black on black crime and 'responsibility' and they aren't afraid to make long videos about police overreach and the evil gestapo gummint however suddenly the police are benign deliverers of justice when it involves blacks? Haha ok.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 14:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

If that's what you gathered from my statement then I apologize, I know full well that cops are ***, and I've expressed my general disdain for them previously.

I'm for getting rid of stop and frisk and getting rid of all possession charges on drugs as well.

But in the two particular cases of which were being discussed it was two thugs who got shot, not saying the situations didn't stink all around but that's still the truth, and that's irrelevant of their tone of skin, I don't give a *** if they were purple.

Hell I'm probably giving them a little leeway as if they were wight I'd probably call them inbred *** who have poor frontal lobe development, I surely know enough of them, they keep getting locked up and ffs I wish they'd stop letting them out.
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-11-26 14:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You tell me

Bahamut.Protectorchrono said: »
Didn't something like this or something similar to this occur a couple years ago? Andrew Zimmerman trial about him killing a black youth? This is basically similar to what happened a couple years ago...Zimmerman gets off Scott free (like this policeman did), people riot, businesses torched, etc etc. Slightly same situation, but different scenarios.

So I guess this policeman is the new Andrew Zimmerman?

But yeah, this whole case should have been handled better. Most of us not being there at the scene to witness this can only go with what the news tells us, the media could have possibly covered up something about this and what really transpired with Michael Brown and the the policeman.

Either way, it's sad, another life is lost and no real justice served. I feel for the parents.
Yes another thug that happened to be a black youth got shot while being a worthless thug, and people lost their *** minds over that stupid ***that had nothing to do with race. Did it have to do with race this time? other than that the guy fit the description of a recent robbery, doesn't look like it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's a real fight to be fought, but this isn't the battle to pick and chose to rally behind.
I wouldn't rally behind either side of this case, but just trying to see this from both sides of the debate. I agree that this isn't the battle to pick and chose to rally behind, instead, this must be handled carefully. Looting/rioting/torching places is not gonna make this issue go away, it's just setting the world back each time.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 14:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh the entire situation is ***, I'm just glad I'm nowhere near there.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-26 14:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Who is rallying behind riots? Lol, the media shows riots for ratings because showing peaceful protests is boring. On one side you have Conservative media trying to show 'see? these *** need our (read: white) guidance/justice' and on the Liberal side it's 'wow, this is a sad state of affairs, this movement has been hijacked.'

Do people think only black people riot and loot? lol.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-26 14:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

People rioted about Joe Paterno being fired.
By volkom 2014-11-26 14:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Who is rallying behind riots? Lol, the media shows riots for ratings because showing peaceful protests is boring. On one side you have Conservative media trying to show 'see? these *** need our (read: white) guidance/justice' and on the Liberal side it's 'wow, this is a sad state of affairs, this movement has been hijacked.'

Do people think only black people riot and loot? lol.
can you find the majority % of the rioters in the past 10 major riots in the country?
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 18 19