Scottish Independence (?)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Scottish Independence (?)
Scottish Independence (?)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 09:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what would be great?

If everyone could stop being a gigantic bag of *** to each other so things like the EU and NATO were entirely unnecessary.

That would be just...just fantastic.

But nope! We'll just stick with the "bag of ***" plan, apparently.
By volkom 2014-09-11 09:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

what would be the economic ramifications if scotland gets its freedom and doesn't get into nato and eu?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 09:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

If everyone could stop being a gigantic bag of *** to each other so things like the EU and NATO were entirely unnecessary.

Even sucks more when the biggest 'bag of ***' are things like the EU and NATO.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 09:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
what would be the economic ramifications if scotland gets its freedom and doesn't get into nato and eu?
Actual freedom. It wouldn't have somebody thousands of miles away telling them what they have to do and can't do without knowing a thing about them.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 09:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't agree with everything said, but it's the take of one guy from Forbes who probably knows more about it than me.

5 Reasons Why Scottish Independence Would Be An Economic Disaster

For reference, I really am just providing info I've seen here. I'd like to reiterate that international finance is about as far from my fiend as it gets. @.@
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 09:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Actual freedom. It wouldn't have somebody thousands of miles away telling them what they have to do and can't do without knowing a thing about them.

I get what you're saying to a degree, but I'm going to go ahead and say the biggest bags of *** are things like ISIS, aggressive governments trying to expand their territories unjustly, etc. :p
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-09-11 09:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a certain amount of difficulty understanding these secession movements.

As our world has gotten progressively smaller (in our lifetimes, no less, much less over the centuries), national borders seem even more arbitrary than they inherently are. Most laws are fairly uniform across a given socio-political region (e.g., North America, western Europe, the Middle East). I know Europe is something of a morass because half of it is socialized to a considerable extent and that hugely impacts tax rates (though, simultaneously, also impacts access to vital services).

What really changes if Scotland secedes? Or Quebec from Canada? Or even Texas from the US? It's easy to point at loss of tax revenue or some such, but the economies of such secessionist states don't evaporate when they become sovereign so the flow of currency will be impacted far less than alarmists suggest. On the other hand, though, what is to be gained in most instances from seceding? It would be one thing if the politics and economy of the secessionist state were radically different from its parent, but when is that ever the case?

When the third-largest country in the world can barely differentiate its regions and cities anymore (Atlanta is not hugely different from Seattle, New York and LA are closer in tone than ever before, and that wasn't the case even 30 years ago), it is baffling that national pride still exists. There's hardly even linguistic pride in Scotland. By a wide margin, more Irish people per capita speak Gaelige than Scots per capita speak Gàidhlig in spite of both having a similar history of suppression under the UK regime.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 09:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I get what you're saying to a degree, but I'm going to go ahead and say the biggest bags of *** are things like ISIS, aggressive governments trying to expand their territories unjustly, etc. :p
Ask yourself this, which came first?
By volkom 2014-09-11 09:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

nazis
[+]
By volkom 2014-09-11 09:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't agree with everything said, but it's the take of one guy from Forbes who probably knows more about it than me.

5 Reasons Why Scottish Independence Would Be An Economic Disaster
that was a good read. I feel like i learned something today and its not even 10am
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 09:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a hard time pinning your exact beliefs down around when you're just trying to play devil's advocate. It's really annoying sometimes.

All I'm saying is that everyone needs to stop being *** to each other. It's just apparently harder for some than others.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 10:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
the precedent it sets for Catalonian secessionists in Spain
I'm ready to be the next aragonian queen. My plan has finally set into motion *pyramid hands*
Meanwhile, my own plan continues to advance quite nicely. Namely, to sit back while the rest of the world runs on autopilot, and watch as everything burns to the ground. With the gross arrogance and rampant stupidity of the U.S gun culture, it's only a matter of time till this actually happens, and I won't have to lift a finger or spend one red cent beyond enough to get a couple bottles of whiskey to celebrate.

Your anti-gun thing is nearly as disturbing as the extreme pro-gun folks who seem turned on by their weapons. There was zero reason to bring that into this thread, yet here you are...
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-11 10:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

And even if such a catastrophic fallout were to happen, what would there be to celebrate? "I was right and you were wrong"?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-11 10:14:09
Link | Quote | Reply

2. All fiat currencies are pegged to the dollar atm. When the dollar loses its status as a world reserve currency, HK will still have foreign assets as a backup.

No.

Fiat currency means there is no underlying asset only government backing.

Pegged means something has a fixed rate. The gold standard would be a pegged or fixed exchange rate. You could also say it has a reserve currency standard, where country A's currency is acting like a physical underlying asset for country B.

The Hong Kong Dollar literally has a fixed exchange rate to USD and has for 30 years (where it has officially changed 4 times, iirc)

Quote:
A bank can issue a Hong Kong dollar only if it has the equivalent exchange in US dollars on deposit. The currency board system ensures that Hong Kong's entire monetary base is backed with US dollars at the linked exchange rate.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 10:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a hard time pinning your exact beliefs down around when you're just trying to play devil's advocate. It's really annoying sometimes.

All I'm saying is that everyone needs to stop being *** to each other. It's just apparently harder for some than others.
Most global issues today stem from unresolved conflicts of interest from World War I and especially World War II.

You can temporary pin them down for awhile, but by doing so they just reemerge stronger than before. Sometimes they use issues that were previous thought to be resolved, even before the 20th century.

Iraq should be a clear example of this from all points of view.

The decision of George H. W. Bush to deter Hussein, rather than venture into Iraq, is probably the only smart decision a president has made in a very long time.

On a more generic scale, you can't restrict movement and trade, because you disagree with their culture, beliefs, or ideas. Or even worse, force them to comply to your standards. By doing so you only encourage them to be more rebellious. And the more you think you're trying to prevent a problem, the more you wind up causing more problems.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 10:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Most global issues today stem from unresolved conflicts of interest from World War I and especially World War II.

You can temporary pin them down for awhile, but by doing so they just reemerge stronger than before. Sometimes they use issues that were previous thought to be resolved, even before the 20th century.

Iraq should be a clear example of this from all points of view.

The decision of George H. W. Bush to deter Hussein, rather than venture into Iraq, is probably the only smart decision a president has made in a very long time.

On a more generic scale, you can't restrict movement and trade, because you disagree with their culture, beliefs, or ideas. Or even worse, force them to comply to your standards. By doing so you only encourage them to be more rebellious. And the more you think you're trying to prevent a problem, the more you wind up causing more problems.

When that culture, beliefs, and ideas includes oppression, mistreatment, and various other human rights violations (ie: 'being a *** to others', in my vernacular), what then, in your perfect world? You just let it happen?
By fonewear 2014-09-11 10:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I looked up pegged and I'm still recovering...
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 10:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I looked up pegged and I'm still recovering...

At least you didn't (I hope) learn through experience.

Otherwise I'd ask if you're walking straight yet.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-11 10:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sad part is that Urban Dictionary comes up before real dictionaries...
[+]
By volkom 2014-09-11 10:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sad part is that Urban Dictionary comes up before real dictionaries...
who's to say that urban dictionary isn't a real dictionary
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-11 10:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It is but mostly for slang terms.
By fonewear 2014-09-11 10:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

When arguments run their course you basically have semantics/define words etc.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 10:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

When arguments run their course you basically have semantics/define words etc.

We seem to turn to that earlier and earlier these days, though...
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-11 10:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
There are some major issues (specifically financial) that have to be tackled if Scotland votes yes.

Off the top of my head:
1. They have to apply to become a member of the EU and NATO. It takes years to be admitted to the EU and all member states have to agree. NATO requires certain terms that Scotland may not want to agree to (e.g. Nuclear weapons holding facility).

2. Will they be using the british pound or not? Will it be sanctioned by the UK or not? This will affect how much cash they need to keep on hand, the ease of conducting business, and ease of consumers purchasing items.

3. All of their businesses that sell outside of Scotland to the EU are immediately labeled as third country and Scotland must negotiate treaties on their own. That means no access to free movement of goods or people, no protection for being part of the EU (e.g. the goods will have higher import taxes when being sold to EU countries and can be discriminated against, same with their citizens).

This is a huge decision, that will have far reaching consequences. I hope the Scottish people understand the full ramifications of what they are entering (or exiting).

In the long run it may be better or it may be worse, either way it will be different. Short term there is vast uncertainity and the markets will react to that.

Even with the wait on acceptance within the EU or Nato, they wouldn't have official sovereignty until 2016, from what I understand. So, add another year and a quarter or more.

Apparently, while this limbo period is taking place, Scots would still be able to vote in the upcoming general election. I wonder how that would effect the UK's political landscape after possibly losing Scotland. (At least they could break away from a anachronistic house of Parliament based on peerage, which is a life-term. Not saying that the US, at present, doesn't unofficially have that. LOL!)

What I found strange is that they would still be basically a commonwealth under the queen, like Canada and Australia. I was really hoping they would completely break that tie.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-11 10:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

But total economic disaster.
By fonewear 2014-09-11 10:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all for semantics but not as a form of argument. If you really are against war racism etc give real reasons why. A lot of people are far too emotional in arguments or resort to name calling etc. You can prove a point without being a jerk.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 10:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all for semantics but not as a form of argument. If you really are against war racism etc give real reasons why. A lot of people are far too emotional in arguments or resort to name calling etc. You can prove a point without being a jerk.

I can't.

But that's because I am a jerk.

Your theory is sound in principle, at least.
By fonewear 2014-09-11 10:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

See I don't have a problem with jerks. I do have a problem with jerks in denial.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-11 10:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
OK, then I will repost this from RP&R where it got ignored:

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Go go Scottish independence!!
Please tell me what shape Scotland would be in today if they had declared Scottish independence in 2007?

You know, the year before the American commercial banks crashed the global economy leaving the Royal Bank of Scotland holding several billion pounds worth of worthless, but AAA rated, mortgage backed securities.

Which, as I remember, the Bank of England wound up covering.

Quote:
The British government owns 81 percent of R.B.S. after the bank received a £45 billion bailout during the financial crisis.
Source

OK, that's a bit more than several.

Iceland's still around isn't it? Besides 07' is an arbitrary number, would they be in the same spot you think they would be in today if they have declared independence in 01'? Nothing wrong with doing things your own way.