Scottish Independence (?)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Scottish Independence (?)
Scottish Independence (?)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-17 08:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Don't forget to only accept Renminbi, Rubles, or gold for oil as it's the trendy thing to do.

Even Saudi Arabia is considering the switch. Saudi's are on the verge of joining Russia in non-dollar oil sales

I can't see this ever happening. Every middle eastern government that has moved away from selling their oil in $$$ have been killed.

If one of the world's largest oil producers starts selling its oil in another currency, the US will be in a lot of pain, especially if its Saudi Arabia. Because the UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar will follow.

EDIT: This just in right now - Oman's leader has passed away with no Heir. Oman has played a large role in middle eastern politics by being a bridge between the Iranians and the Gulf states, while also being very stand-offish.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-17 08:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
Don't forget to only accept Renminbi, Rubles, or gold for oil as it's the trendy thing to do.

Even Saudi Arabia is considering the switch. Saudi's are on the verge of joining Russia in non-dollar oil sales

I can't see this ever happening. Every middle eastern government that has moved away from selling their oil in $$$ have been killed.

If one of the world's largest oil producers starts selling its oil in another currency, the US will be in a lot of pain, especially if its Saudi Arabia. Because the UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar will follow.

EDIT: This just in right now - Oman's leader has passed away with no Heir. Oman has played a large role in middle eastern politics by being a bridge between the Iranians and the Gulf states, while also being very stand-offish.
It's already begun. Libya acted too early. They should have waited until Russia and China made the switch.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-17 08:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbeat said: »
Well like I said, there's the circumstances of future independence versus the present day circumstances of the coalition government's rule.
Bedroom tax, benefit caps, one of the lowest minimum wages in Europe, an increasingly privatised NHS and education system.
They'll need to find money to subsidise their free universities and NHS prescriptions, but they may find that's balanced when their economy isn't being wider distributed.

This is nuts to me. Aren't some people exempt from it if they're of a certain class (contemporary aristos behind the shield of the historical grading system for properties/estates in the UK)?

It reminds me of the the window/door taxes of the southern US in the 1800's/early 1900's.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-09-17 08:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Bismarck.Bloodbeat said: »
Well like I said, there's the circumstances of future independence versus the present day circumstances of the coalition government's rule.
Bedroom tax, benefit caps, one of the lowest minimum wages in Europe, an increasingly privatised NHS and education system.
They'll need to find money to subsidise their free universities and NHS prescriptions, but they may find that's balanced when their economy isn't being wider distributed.

This is nuts to me. Aren't some people exempt from it if they're of a certain class (contemporary aristos behind the shield of the historical grading system for properties/estates in the UK)?

It reminds me of the the window/door taxes of the southern US in the 1800's/early 1900's.

It should be called Spare bedroom tax really. As I understand it, it's for people who gets housing benefits and rents a house/flat that has an unoccupied/spare bedroom. For any spare bedroom you have, you'd have to pay extra to make up for the rent. (details)

I.e. the government is not forking out money to pay for the rent for your extra room(s)/ paying for a bigger home than you need, you have to pay it yourself. Which is fair enough imo...

There is no bedroom tax for anyone who own their property or rent their own homes without claiming housing allowance.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dubai
Server: Bismarck
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2014-09-17 09:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't find where you got that the Gabuus(Sultan) of Oman died?
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-17 09:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's already begun. Libya acted too early. They should have waited until Russia and China made the switch.

The Saudis probably feel like America is getting ready to have good relations with Iran and want to have more allies.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-17 09:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The Saudis probably feel like America is getting ready to have good relations with Iran and want to have more allies.

"Good relations with Iran" for the US & Iran means not openly threatening each other somehow whilst taking care of a mutual problem.

I think it's safe to say that we're going to side with the Saudis on any major disputes that arise.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-17 13:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-17 13:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The box, the box!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-17 14:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Only 14 hours and 50min until the vote.
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-09-17 14:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'ts going to be a Yes and its going to be beautiful.
By Elvyn87 2014-09-17 14:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Another bit of Blair's delayed reaction douche-baggery.

A yes vote will destroy Scotland and damage England. Simpel as that no if/and/or/buts about it. A No Vote wont matter because now that this can of worms has been opened it wont close. England with throw more power and money at Scottish parliament to stop this happening again(appeasement) which will also effect England negatively.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-17 14:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Scizor said: »
I'ts going to be a Yes and its going to be beautiful.

It was going to be a Yes, and it would have been beautiful, but then you had to go and put an apostrophe in the wrong place. I hope you're happy with yourself.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-17 18:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-09-17 18:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Independence is independence but the box could be anything, it could even be independence!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-18 01:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

interesting. Anyone from the Shetland islands or other islands in Scotland on ffxiah?

Shetland may reconsider its place in Scotland after yes vote, says minister
Scotland secretary says if islands were to vote no but national vote was yes, it could become self-governing like Isle of Man

Quote:
Oil-rich Shetland may consider becoming a self-governing territory like the Isle of Man rather than stay part of an independent Scotland in the event of a yes vote, the Scotland secretary, Alistair Carmichael, has said.

In an interview with the Guardian, Carmichael said if Shetland were to vote strongly against independence but the Scottish national vote was narrowly in favour, then a "conversation about Shetland's position and the options that might be open to it" would begin.

The Liberal Democrat MP, who represents Orkney and Shetland in Westminster and has been secretary of state for Scotland in the coalition government since last October, said those options might include the islands modelling themselves on the Isle of Man, which is a self-governing crown dependency that is not part of the UK, or on their neighbours the Faroe Isles, which are an autonomous country within the Danish realm.

Asked if he was suggesting Alex Salmond should not take for granted that oilfields off Shetland will belong to Scotland in the event of a yes vote, he said: "That would be one of the things that we would want to discuss. I wouldn't like to predict at this stage where the discussions would go."

Responding to Carmichael's comments, a Yes Scotland spokesman said: "Scotland's island communities will have greater control over their local economies, natural environment and be represented at the heart of government in an independent Scotland.

"A yes vote is about empowering people and communities throughout Scotland, including our island communities. That is one reason why the Shetland News has chosen to chosen to back yes."

But Carmichael's comments were echoed by Tavish Scott, Shetland's MSP, who when asked whether Shetland would have to obey the will of Scotland in the event of a yes vote, said: "Will it now? We'll have to look at our options. We're not going to be told what to do by Alex Salmond."

Speaking as he canvassed in the capital Lerwick's town centre on the final day of campaigning before the vote, Scott said the option of becoming a crown dependency was "something we will look at", though he said he ruled out full independence for the islands.

A petition of more than 1,000 signatures raised by islanders from Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles calling for a separate referendum on whether they could themselves become independent was rejected last month by the Scottish government, which said it had promised new powers to the three island groups.
[+]
 Leviathan.Xsoahc
By Leviathan.Xsoahc 2014-09-18 10:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The voting has begun!
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-18 10:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

For the sake of shits and gigs, what if a contemporary Stuart that just happened to be named Mary was brought out of the woodpile. BUM BUM BUUUMMM!!! Who would win in a cane fight? Elizabeth II or fictitious Mary Queen of Scots II?
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-18 11:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Once polling is closed and the results are in, I'd be curious to know the average age of each side.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-18 11:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For the sake of shits and gigs, what if a contemporary Stuart that just happened to be named Mary was brought out of the woodpile. BUM BUM BUUUMMM!!! Who would win in a cane fight? Elizabeth II or fictitious Mary Queen of Scots II?
I don't know.

Mary always struck me as naive. From what I remember, she went with the flow of what her advisors recommended.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-09-18 11:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Once polling is closed and the results are in, I'd be curious to know the average age of each side.
If I had to make any guesses, I'd say the demographics of the yes voters will be 65+ and maybe about half of the under 25s with no getting the other half of the under 25s and then everything between 26 and 64.

Of course I have no idea really.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-18 11:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
I don't know.

Mary always struck me as naive. From what I remember, she went with the flow of what her advisors recommended.

It been a while, but from what I remember, I'm inclined to agree. Manipulation within her own court.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-09-18 12:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know if they vote yes today that they can still cancel it later while still in preparation for the final step?

On another note:
I find it extremely weird that the requirement is just 50%+X <.<
When something touches the architecture of a state as German I'm used to a 2/3 majority so it really does represent the will of a nation and not just a temporary reaction to one good speach on TV.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-18 12:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Anyone know if they vote yes today that they can still cancel it later while still in preparation for the final step?
In the passive-aggressive words of Cameron "if you vote yes and leave us, this time is forever". Take that as you may!
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-09-18 12:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
In the passive-aggressive words of Cameron "if you vote yes and leave us, this time is forever". Take that as you may!
I meant it more in a constitutional/juristic way. How binding a referendum in scottland is for their regional parliament.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 12:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

On another note:
I find it extremely weird that the requirement is just 50%+X <.<
When something touches the architecture of a state as German I'm used to a 2/3 majority so it really does represent the will of a nation and not just a temporary reaction to one good speach on TV.

Yeah. This seems like a big thing for a simple majority, but...
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-18 12:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's binding.

Also, there will be no recounts if it is close in districts. Only a recount if there procedural errors.

I'll go find link..
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-09-18 13:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's binding.

Also, there will be no recounts if it is close in districts. Only a recount if there procedural errors.

I'll go find link..
Thank you,
no need to find a link you're trustable enough.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-18 13:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Woah! On this forum? How do you attain that status!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-18 13:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's binding.

I'll go find link..
Thank you,

Heree are some anyway.
Scottish independence: What if result is a dead heat?
Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013
Edinburgh Agreement
[+]