Scottish Independence (?)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Scottish Independence (?)
Scottish Independence (?)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 10:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Quote:
Most global issues today stem from unresolved conflicts of interest from World War I and especially World War II.

You can temporary pin them down for awhile, but by doing so they just reemerge stronger than before. Sometimes they use issues that were previous thought to be resolved, even before the 20th century.

Iraq should be a clear example of this from all points of view.

The decision of George H. W. Bush to deter Hussein, rather than venture into Iraq, is probably the only smart decision a president has made in a very long time.

On a more generic scale, you can't restrict movement and trade, because you disagree with their culture, beliefs, or ideas. Or even worse, force them to comply to your standards. By doing so you only encourage them to be more rebellious. And the more you think you're trying to prevent a problem, the more you wind up causing more problems.

When that culture, beliefs, and ideas includes oppression, mistreatment, and various other human rights violations (ie: 'being a *** to others', in my vernacular), what then, in your perfect world? You just let it happen?
There's no such thing as a perfect world, only your idea of one.

If it's peace and stability you're looking for, then in a sense you have to let people be.

It's kind of like the Prime Directive from Star Trek.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 10:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Quote:
Most global issues today stem from unresolved conflicts of interest from World War I and especially World War II.

You can temporary pin them down for awhile, but by doing so they just reemerge stronger than before. Sometimes they use issues that were previous thought to be resolved, even before the 20th century.

The decision of George H. W. Bush to deter Hussein, rather than venture into Iraq, is probably the only smart decision a president has made in a very long time.

On a more generic scale, you can't restrict movement and trade, because you disagree with their culture, beliefs, or ideas. Or even worse, force them to comply to your standards. By doing so you only encourage them to be more rebellious. And the more you think you're trying to prevent a problem, the more you wind up causing more problems.

When that culture, beliefs, and ideas includes oppression, mistreatment, and various other human rights violations (ie: 'being a *** to others', in my vernacular), what then, in your perfect world? You just let it happen?

If it's peace and stability you're looking for, then in a sense you have to let people be.

I never agreed with the Prime Directive. And neither did any of the major captains. I mean, they constantly said they did -- fervently, even -- but then they turned around and spit in its face any time they felt it was appropriate.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 10:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I never agreed with the Prime Directive. And neither did any of the major captains. I mean, they constantly said they did -- fervently, even -- but then they turned around and spit in its face any time they felt it was appropriate.
This is true, lol.
By volkom 2014-09-11 11:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm all for semantics but not as a form of argument. If you really are against war racism etc give real reasons why.

reasons against war racism etc:
-usually wars are only in favor of the elite few who are in power as they seek to gain more power. There may be an underline cause such as to gain access to more natural resources but the end result and loss of human life and the economic/environmental effects on the region always seem to have a significant toll. imo war shouldn't be the go-to solution to get things done.
-reason against racism~ I find it hard to believe that one race is superior to others in one way or another but I also find it hard to break away from set stereotypes because of what's broadcasted and witnessed. If only the media would stop spinning stories the way they have been and just reported the facts then we can actually start moving away from it. ~ at least in the states.
-reasons against etc...reason why i'm against etc is because it seems to go after everything. why can't it be before things? I'd like to see a supermarket with a slogan that says 'we sell etc' or something to that effect. we need to stop being racist wordist? and treating it like the *** child abbreviated word and encourage it to be moved to the front
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 11:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Race war?
[+]
By volkom 2014-09-11 11:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Race war?
etc race war
By fonewear 2014-09-11 11:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The only real wars are WW2 Civil War and the War on Women.

Currently fighting for a sandwich and an abortion.

Or as I call it an abortion sandwich with extra pickles and mayo.

Fighting and dying for you country is one thing getting free birth control is another thing.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 11:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Neo Feminist!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 11:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If Scotland can secede, so can Texas
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-11 11:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

good!

we don't want stupid, dumb, ole' texas anyhow!
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-11 11:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

As probably the only Scottish person to be on this forum.. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

They have no currency.
They have no Banking System.
They are depending upon North Sea Oil for Stability (2050 it runs out) which means short terms solution - long term stupidity.
They have no infrastructure for Road Maintenance, NHS (Health Sector as this is government funded not private).
The Yes Campaign has never once yet, answered a single question and keeps making references "West Minister Abbey" its not *** about what the *** English have or have not *** done, its about wtf can we ACTUALLY DO WITH INDEPENDENCE, which is *** all.

The populous are listening with their hearts, and not thinking ***through and will ust run into a massive Economic crisis, be forced to join the EU for a bailout and just be subject to the same restrictions they were previously, but again with no stable economic system, no Banks (because The Royal Bank of Scotland have said they will leave Scotland as they are 81%~ owned by England) as will Lloyds, this leave NO BANKS in Scotland.

Yes no banks will definitely work.

FURTHER TO THIS STUPID CONCEPT all Scots will be removed from the English army, they will all be foreigners, and as such the Scottish students in England will need

Passports (which will take months if not years) for Scottish Nationality.
Greencards (Student Visas)
Pay Hiked Student Fee's for Universities in the UK (because foreign students get charged triple, I know this as I worked for a University over here).

And this is just for starters.

Whatever crackpot HONESTLY wants to live like, can do so at the same time as drown themselves for being stupid.

** End Rant **
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 11:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly I think a better method for all involved would be to turn the "United Kingdom" into the "United Kingdoms". Give the coutries their own autonomy in a symbolic sense and greater oversight over their own internal issues and maintain their financial ties, broader policy, and overall infrastructure.
By volkom 2014-09-11 11:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

put the welsh dragon on the flag

Siren.Mosin said: »

good!

we don't want stupid, dumb, ole' texas anyhow!
don't mess with Texas :[
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-11 11:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly I think a better method for all involved would be to turn the "United Kingdom" into the "United Kingdoms". Give the coutries their own autonomy in a symbolic sense and greater oversight over their own internal issues and maintain their financial ties, broader policy, and overall infrastructure.

This has actually been done in Wales. And their system works.
Scotland already have some level of Autonomy (They can decide what sector gets what money and their own select rules ie: Free Prescriptions ETC).

But this isn't enough.

Anyone who votes yes or think's its a Good idea needs to be sterilized because its the dumbest ***I ever heard.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 11:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

This has actually been done in Wales. And their system works.
Scotland already have some level of Autonomy (They can decide what sector gets what money and their own select rules ie: Free Prescriptions ETC).

But this isn't enough.

Anyone who votes yes or think's its a Good idea needs to be sterilized because its the dumbest ***I ever heard.

As I said earlier, I understand why so many people would want to seperate, but I feel that even if it is somehow a good idea in some ways, the timing is...horrendous. As said, it's people voting with their hearts, not their heads, and that's never a recipe for success.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-11 11:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

don't tell me what to do!

if texas wasn't so lame, I wouldn't have to mock it.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 11:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly, the way Texas is constantly brought up around here -- frequently not even by the actual Texans -- is really amusing to me. Clearly it weighs on your mind, one way or the other. :p
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-11 12:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

nah, it's a running joke between zahrah & I.

I honestly dgaf about texas. no negative or positive opinions.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 12:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

nah, it's a running joke between zahrah & I.

I honestly dgaf about texas. no negative or positive opinions.

My point remains valid, if not to you specifically!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 12:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly, the way Texas is constantly brought up around here -- frequently not even by the actual Texans -- is really amusing to me. Clearly it weighs on your mind, one way or the other. :p
What do you expect with all delightful politicians from Texas?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-11 12:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Good!

If Texas ever seceded I'd move down there in a heartbeat.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-11 12:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Texas is the anagram of taxes, think about it!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 12:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Good!

You still could now and reap most of the same benefits.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-11 13:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »

This is slightly off topic, but what the Hell is the point of a "crossbencher" in the House of Lords? What's their functional purpose? I could be wrong, but they have no party affiliation, right?
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-11 17:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Creaucent Alazrin said: »

This is slightly off topic, but what the Hell is the point of a "crossbencher" in the House of Lords? What's their functional purpose? I could be wrong, but they have no party affiliation, right?

Crossbenchers (most commonly known as Law Lords) are people who have a great knowledge of the law and how it applies, and are normally very high up in the Judicial System. They do vote on things and do not need to be elected in.

Reasons: The House of lords is the Highest Court in the Land as part of the "Court of Appeal" as such any law passed here can not superseded by any other court (This was the case until we got the new High Court however in terms of pecking order I believe that the Court of Appeal still holds the Heavy Weight Title so to speak).
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-12 10:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Good!

If Texas seceded and you tried to move there they would shoot you at the border.

Nothing personal mind you. It would be open season on anyone crossing any of their borders.
[+]
By wormfeeder 2014-09-12 11:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Good!

Actually texas can secede from the union any time they wish, along with California they are actually republics unto themselves.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-12 11:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, Scotland has North Korea's support.

Quote:
North Korea is feeling 'positive' about Scottish 'Yes'

Kim Jong-un is feeling positive about a Yes vote in Scotland and is looking to trade with Scotland if it gains independence, Pyongyang representatives have reportedly said.

Choe Kwan-il, managing editor of the Choson Sinbo newspaper told The Telegraph he believes independence "would be a very positive thing for Scotland".

"I believe that every person has the right to be a member of an independent nation, to have sovereignty, to live in peace and to enjoy equality," he said. "And I believe that a majority of Scots feel the same and will vote for independence."

Choson Sinbo is a Tokyo-based publication printed in both Korean and Japanese. It is published by the General Association of Korean Residents (GAKR), a pro-North Korea representative body for Koreans living in Japan. The GAKR has close ties to North Korea and is often described as the country's de-facto embassy in Japan.

Choe told the paper it has not yet reported on the referendum, but will do so when it finishes.

"North Korea is rich in natural resources and we like the taste of Scotch whisky, so we can be beneficial to each other," he added.

So Chung-on, director of the International Affairs Bureau of GAKR of Japan, said he did not know if the referendum had been reported in North Korea, but that if Scotland does become independent it "almost certainly" will.

"The result will be very important and if the Scots do vote to become independent, then North Korea will be prepared to respond to that," he said.

The people of Scotland are voting on independence on 18 September.

On Thursday, David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband arrived in Scotland to campaign against succession after poll results showed the gap between yes and no supporters was narrowing.

- Independent
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-12 12:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
As the referendum on Scottish independence approaches, the “Yes” campaign is receiving an unexpected boost – from Russian nationalists.

Supporters of the Kremlin’s annexation of Crimea have latched on to Alex Salmond’s bid to leave Britain as a parallel to the struggle of ethnic Russians in Ukraine to break with a supposedly bullying overlord in Kiev.

With resentment running high against Britain as a crusader for tough sanctions against Moscow over its patronage of the separatist rebels in Ukraine, blogs in Russia have become flooded with calls for Scottish “freedom”.
Source