Islamic State Beheads, Crucifies In Push For Syria

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Islamic State beheads, crucifies in push for Syria
Islamic State beheads, crucifies in push for Syria
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 15 16 17
By fonewear 2014-08-13 11:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Asura.Ccl said: »
I do not know the answers.

That's never stopped you from posting before!

Not only that but a good philosophy to live by !

Nietzsche mustache is not impressed.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 11:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Video related:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 11:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hinamori said: »
Demoncard said: »
The bloods and the crips in your country aren't exactly religious, at least from what I've heard. Suppose one of them, a blood maybe, is. Would you have us get rid of religion entirely, so that that one person may be deprived of justification for his attacks on ??? minority?

Correct. Religion has next to nothing to do with his actions, and getting rid of it, or abusing it, will only piss him off more. He's merely a thug.

Now then, what does that make the current elements of Catholic-protestant rabble rousers in Ireland, the Al Qaeda, and other groups that expressly use religion as justification for their actions? Exactly that. Most of these terrorists aren't much different that you yourself, who only has paltry religious education, leaving them wide open and susceptible to strong opinions from other people, their media, and the internet.

You don't seem to be replying to me often, or at all adequately. You're responding to the other two, who almost definitely don't speak english as a first language. Do you think them easy prey for your baseless emotionally fuelled arguments?

The likes, though. You people and your likes and upvotes. It's like you come here to be comforted by one another, not to deal in facts. The +1 button only stifles actual discussion.

I'm actually starting to think your tone is condescending and obnoxious at times.

The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter what they use to justify killing, they're still killing people without a second thought. Actually, if I recall aren't they using a lot of young men to fight their war for them? The way I see it, most of the soldiers are either young adults of teenagers from what footage I saw in videos where ISIS fighters were actually taking videos. Most looked very young, but their leaders looked very old. I'm beginning to think that most just got fed that crap by the older leader, and because the leader is in a power position, pretty much brainwashed them on their extremist views. It's not uncommon really, it's how a lot of militant groups start out if they are driven by a cause.

You don't see a lot of old terrorists. Largely age 17-25 males. Because that's a group that's easily swayed by ideology and devotion to a cause, and an age group fueled by adreneline and aggressivity.

It also helps that they aren't old enough to have had (much/good) sex with women or enjoyed life's finer pleasures. It also helps to be poor.

Oh hey. It's almost like I just described the same demographic that gets recruited into the military in the United States. You know. For God & Country.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 11:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Oh hey. It's almost like I just described the same demographic that gets recruited into the military in the United States. You know. For God & Country.
Difference between soldier and terrorist?

Most soldiers come home.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 11:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Soldiers come home.

Sometimes. =\
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 11:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Soldiers come home.

Sometimes. =\
Missed my edit. Said "most"
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 11:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Soldiers come home.

Sometimes. =\
Missed my edit. Said "most"

Yeah. ._.;
By Demoncard 2014-08-13 11:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hinamori said: »
I'm actually starting to think your tone is condescending and obnoxious at times.

I'm beginning to think that most just got fed that crap by the older leader, and because the leader is in a power position, pretty much brainwashed them on their extremist views.
Correct. The truth is always tough to swallow, and my tone doesn't help or make it in any way easier. I can only hope that it'll make you three more tolerant somehow.

What's more is that without religion, it still happens. Religion's in the spotlight these days, and it's hip to blame it for what are in fact social problems. There are documentaries about former extremists who came to their senses and can attest to the intensity of their indoctrination. I don't think any of them blamed their faith, but they all blamed those who recruited them, and the organisations and sects behind them. Blaming religion will only make you an angry person. It's futile. You can't eradicate a religion, but you can eradicate those who would misuse it.

I'm tired of beating my head against a wall of ideology.
That's unfortunate.

What does any of that have to do with religions in the first place?
You're adorable.

So, you are saying that the only way to counter these so-called "opinions" that influence people is for your "opinion" to take it's place?
I want you three to think for yourselves, using information that you should have learned in what you call grade and high school. I want you three to stop regurgitating popular media, the haze of irrelevant information, and hearsay. Most of all, I want you to read my posts properly and stop misinterpreting them for your own ends.

Right now, my opinion is worth far more than yours combined, because not one of you (?) has actually studied religion or politics. I'm not sure what you've studied that makes you feel so confident in your opinions, but I'm sure it reads horribly and doesn't make a great deal of sense. Reading other people's opinions, listening to other people's opinions and Fox aren't appropriate ways to develop an opinion worthy of being heard in an argument.

Religion is just that, a glorified "opinion" on how the world was created, who created it, what you need to do about it, and where you are going to go after you blow yourself up and/or die of old age.
The sky is blue, the grass is green. You needn't have written that at all. I dare say it was written in a fit of emotion.

No, they are the ones who are emotionally fueled. So are you. And so it any other fanatic out there proclaiming that religion > all.
"No, you" doesn't work here. You have to quote, present evidence and use facts. The evidence you people have presented so far, save the one about female genital mutilation, sucked. The one about female genital mutilation was misused to attribute a social problem to religion.

I'm definitely not arguing amongst peers.

The bloods and the crips in your country aren't exactly religious, at least from what I've heard. Suppose one of them, a blood maybe, is. Would you have us get rid of religion entirely, so that that one person may be deprived of justification for his attacks on ??? minority?

Correct. Religion has next to nothing to do with his actions, and getting rid of it, or abusing it, will only piss him off more. He's merely a thug.
Aren't you projecting?
Highlight the projection in that post. Be my guest. I insist.

It's painfully clear to all you don't know what that word means. It's a baseless pitiful accusation.

Edit: So, you all logged out in contempt. That's fine.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 11:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I want you three to think for yourselves, using information that you should have learned in what you call grade and high school.

If I used what I learned in those years, I'd be a fairly devout, strict Catholic.

Somewhat amusingly in comparison to your comment, I've developed my strong anti-religion feelings largely based on what I learned of both Christianity AND other religions during those times.

Quote:
I want you three to stop regurgitating popular media, the haze of irrelevant information, and hearsay.

So what sources do you suggest we use? I know you seem to think otherwise, but it's possible to watch and read the media, discard their spin and draw your own conclusions.

As far as you seem to be concerned, anything that doesn't sell your point of view isn't a valid media source.

Quote:
Right now, my opinion is worth far more than yours combined, because not one of you (?) has actually studied religion or politics. I'm not sure what you've studied that makes you feel so confident in your opinions, but I'm sure it reads horribly and doesn't make a great deal of sense. Reading other people's opinions, listening to other people's opinions and Fox aren't appropriate ways to develop an opinion worthy of being heard in an argument.
Quote:

So who is your peer? Someone who shares your beliefs and pats you on the back saying, "good job!"?

I despise Fox news, for one. I generally form my own opinions unless what I've read makes sense. And coincidentally, I have taken courses in both religion and politics.

Your arguments are those of a university student arguing ideals, saying "well religion isn't to blame, it's the misguided followers".

Well what is a religion if not its followers?

You've yet to answer my question, by the way.

What does religion offer that we as a race can't live without, in comparison to the problems we shed as a race by ridding ourselves of it?

And if your answer is simply, "you can't rid yourself of all religion because (mine) is right", then we have nothing more to discuss.
[+]
By Demoncard 2014-08-13 11:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I want you three to think for yourselves, using information that you should have learned in what you call grade and high school.

If I used what I learned in those years, I'd be a fairly devout, strict Catholic.
That's a shortcoming of an American education, then, as you yourself said.

So what sources do you suggest we use? I know you seem to think otherwise, but it's possible to watch and read the media, discard their spin and draw your own conclusions.
Evidently not, having read the same misconceptions in this thread that I see in popular media.

As far as you seem to be concerned, anything that doesn't sell your point of view isn't a valid media source.
You're going to need more media sources than images with captions and a psuedofeminist website dedicated to ending FGM.

So who is your peer? Someone who shares your beliefs and pats you on the back saying, "good job!"?

I despise Fox news, for one. I generally form my own opinions unless what I've read makes sense. And coincidentally, I have taken courses in both religion and politics.
Everything save abstract art and furniture from IKEA is crafted to make sense. Everything in the media, even Fox, is supposed to make sense. Among other things you've touted misinformation about conversion to an abrahamic religion - none of them condone forced conversions. I question the quality or breadth of teaching in your courses.

Your arguments are those of a university student arguing ideals, saying "well religion isn't to blame, it's the misguided followers".

Well what is a religion if not its followers?
Religions aren't defined by the actions of a relative handful of followers. Are mormons or the IRA representative of christianity?

What does religion offer that we as a race can't live without, in comparison to the problems we shed as a race by ridding ourselves of it?
That's an atheist staple, and it's also irrelevant and off topic to our discussion. I'll save you time by not answering it.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 11:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

And while I know some of you will just disregard this as a "spun, foreign, or illegitimate" news source...

Woman stoned to death for adultery

Quote:
The July 18 stoning was the second in a span of 24 hours. A day earlier, 26-year-old Shamseh Abdullah was killed in a similar way in the nearby town of Tabqa by Islamic State fighters. Both were accused of having sex outside marriage.

Quote:
The jihadis recently tied a 14-year-old boy to a cross-like structure and left him for several hours in the scorching summer sun before bringing him down -- punishment for not fasting during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 11:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ho-ho, you're back. Give me a minute.

Will probably be gone again shortly.

{Have things to do, gotta go!}
By Demoncard 2014-08-13 12:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you trying to tell me that bad things happen in developing countries more than they do in developed countries such as those in the west?

I'm sure that if that happened here in England, she wouldn't have been stoned. People would have disapproved, as would anyone, but there'd be no stoning. People are more moderate in developed countries. Usually.

{Bard} {Can I have it?} 5/6

Quote:
The jihadis recently tied a 14-year-old boy to a cross-like structure and left him for several hours in the scorching summer sun before bringing him down -- punishment for not fasting during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
I like this version, myself.
Quote:
Thugs recently tied a 14-year-old boy to ramshackle crucifix and left him for several hours in the scorching summer sun before adding salt and olive oil -- punishment for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, amidst people who are looking to cause trouble somehow and care not for how they get their fix.
The point is that they're louts, and they'd do it all the same if they weren't religious. Salted roasted peanuts optional.

Good lord, if you think these people are doing these things because they're religious, I think you're going out of your way to blame religion, given the plethora of alternative reasons, most of them social.
By volkom 2014-08-13 12:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I can believe that
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 12:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you trying to tell me that bad things happen in developing countries more than they do in developed countries such as those in the west?

I'm sure that if that happened here in England, she wouldn't have been stoned. People would have disapproved, as would anyone, but there'd be no stoning. People are more moderate in developed countries. Usually.

{Bard} {Can I have it?} 5/6

I'm telling you a woman comitted adultery (bad, worse in some circumstances than others). And she was stoned to death for it based on the laws of religious zealots.

A boy was hungry and ate during a period where religion told him not to and he was tortured for hours for doing so.

Does these sound like reasonable responses to you?

Edit in response to your edit: how can you call it anything BUT religious in nature? They're using eating during a designated fasting period as their sole excuse for this...
By fonewear 2014-08-13 12:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame FFXIAH
By Demoncard 2014-08-13 12:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting rid of the religious zealots would solve the problem. Do you think the people living there are all zealots? Do you think the zealots are the majority? Do you think the zealots are welcome? Do you think the people don't resent living under them? Do you think the German people approved of the Nazis at the time? Don't answer the last one. You'll never leave.

Edit: Do you think the boy's parents were in cahoots with the zealots?
By fonewear 2014-08-13 12:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite is I'm a tolerant person but if you believe in religion you are wrong...said every Atheist ever.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 12:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting rid of the religious zealots would solve the problem. Do you think the people living there are all zealots? Do you think the zealots are the majority? Do you think the zealots are welcome? Do you think the people don't resent living under them? Do you think the German people approved of the Nazis at the time?

Don't answer the last one. You'll never leave.

I think that groups of people do not process information act appropriately. The hive mind of mobs is a well-documented fact. Combining fervent religion or nationalism with that situation is always a bad recipe.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 12:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Strange, and you think religion, which is a form of indoctrination, would do that for us, who (at least in the case of Ramyrez and myself) are against in the first place? I think that the idiocy of the world revolve around religions because they claim to know what the idiots can't explain, which is life.

I already have my answer to the greatest question in existence: "What is the meaning of life?" I highly doubt that, even if I only explain it in simplistic terms, you or anyone else who is indoctrinated in religion would understand, as it goes beyond the limitations of religion and delves deeper into ones own self and worth than you can possibly imagine.

Oh, and the answer, in the simplicity, is: "To live."
Right now, my opinion is worth far more than yours combined, because not one of you (?) has actually studied religion or politics.
Do you have any proof in that statement that none of us have studied religion and/or politics? I highly doubt you even had secondary education at all.

I'm not sure what you've studied that makes you feel so confident in your opinions, but I'm sure it reads horribly and doesn't make a great deal of sense. Reading other people's opinions, listening to other people's opinions and Fox aren't appropriate ways to develop an opinion worthy of being heard in an argument.
And placing your opinions based on a book is?

The evidence you people have presented so far, save the one about female genital mutilation, sucked.
Explain why the evidence I presented, as you have so delicately put it, "sucked." The only evidence I presented came straight from the Qur'an, so if that evidence was no good, then the whole book itself is no good either.

I think we can all agree with that. It is obvious that your intellect is below ours.

Asura.Kingnobody said:
Demoncard said:

Aren't you projecting?
Highlight the projection in that post. Be my guest. I insist.

It's painfully clear to all you don't know what that word means. It's a baseless pitiful accusation.
The projection is bolded. You are projecting a correlation between gangs and religion, which even I would not go so far as to compare. I'm sure you are going to say "well, I'm not projecting neither religion or gangs to myself" and still fail at knowing what projection really means.
By Demoncard 2014-08-13 12:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that groups of people do not properly act appropriately. The hive mind of mobs is a well-documented fact.
So we agree.

Those goons were also foreigners. Foreigners with guns, and other things that don't get on with people. I doubt the crowd did anything to indicate approval beyond what was required not to get shot. In this case, throw rocks. I doubt it was driven by their faith unless they were excessively cheering and jeering beyond what was required to avoid being turned on by the foreign thugs. It's fairly murky, and the only thing made certain by that source is that those thugs need to be dealt with, and it's too bad Syria lacks proper administration.

Would you not throw rocks at a stranger to avoid getting shot?

Emotionally driven drivel that doesn't properly address the content of my posts, but is a vague attempt at furthering his own argument. Misuses the word projection, insists it was correct in context
Stop.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 12:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
My favorite is I'm a tolerant person but if you believe in religion you are wrong...said every Atheist ever.

Works for any "belief". Religious or otherwise.

I am extraordinarily tolerant. If I weren't, I probably wouldn't have a job, friends, or much of anything else in life.

Ashamed as I am of the fact - and hard-pressed as some of you may be to believe it - I actually keep my religious beliefs pretty well on the down-low in real life.

*shrug*

Maybe I shouldn't. But I don't need the hassle from the sheer number of people I deal with on a day-to-day basis.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-13 12:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I would like this if I didn't transition from being a devout Christian at age 4, to being an atheist, to being a spiritualist.

Even during my time as an atheist from age 4-22, I looked at many religions, found many similarities (good and bad), edited texts, intentionally left out phrases, facts, stories, etc. and morals would always change between 1 interpreter to the next.

"God expects us to be tolerant and to understand one another - but may God have mercy on your soul if you're different than what I expect you to be" seems to be the ultimate message.

Using torture, excommunication, ostracism, religious punishment, etc. as a means to sway, control, etc. the general populace, and reign supreme.

Hell, Christianity and Catholicism are responsible for wiping out almost half of the world's remaining religions by genocide or forced conversion, conquest, and so forth between the 14th and 17th centuries.

The again, those practices would be considered barbaric by today's standards, but it doesn't deviate any from what the crux of the religions were. Even Kings were fearful of "Divine Retribution" and the church - reason being? They controlled more people and soldiers than any other empire.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 12:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I am extraordinarily tolerant.
Proof is our friendship.

Hell, I couldn't stand me for this long, and I would have blacklisted myself long ago.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 12:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
The again, those practices would be considered barbaric by today's standards, but it doesn't deviate any from what the crux of the religions were. Even Kings were fearful of "Divine Retribution" and the church - reason being? They controlled more people and soldiers than any other empire.
Bloodrose knows more about the purpose of religion than nearly all religious nuts out there.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 12:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that groups of people do not properly act appropriately. The hive mind of mobs is a well-documented fact.

So we agree.

Those goons were also foreigners. Foreigners with guns, and other things that don't get on with people. I doubt the crowd did anything to indicate approval beyond what was required not to get shot. In this case, throw rocks.

Foreigners or not doesn't really matter. They were religiously-inspired crimes that are at least arguably supported by the religious doctrine.

Quote:

I've never been tested in such a fashion. I hope never to be tested in such a fashion. But I'd like to think I'd do the right thing in the face of such adversity. I have my doubts regarding an afterlife, but I still believe in doing the right thing.

But a definitive answer is something I am unable to provide you with at this time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 12:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop.
Who was it again who said:

"No, you" doesn't work here.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-13 12:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
spiritualist.

LOL!!!

that's hippie speak for bloodrose talks to flowers while wearing a funny hat and a dress made out of canadian bacon
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-13 12:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If a gun was placed on my head, with the person behind the trigger yelling at me to throw rocks at random people or I will be shot, you know what I would have done?

Taken the gun out of that person's hands. Very easy to do if you know how.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-13 12:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I am extraordinarily tolerant.
Proof is our friendship.

Hell, I couldn't stand me for this long, and I would have blacklisted myself long ago.

Pretty sure I tried to blacklist myself in game once.

If I remember correctly it gave me a "Failed." message.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 15 16 17