Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 56 57 58
 Fenrir.Squintik
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-06-16 13:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Fenrir.Squintik said: »
So according to feminists, women should be weak and defenseless, and just scream for help and blame someone else when they're attacked?

On a semi-related note, I just thought of an anti-rape fashion accessory item women could wear whenever they want to hit the town. A simple knee strap with an upward-facing stainless steel 6 inch spike shaped like a claw.

The point is that it doesn't address the structural issues surrounding how women are treated in our society. Being able to defend yourself doesn't stop harassment/sexism unless you plan to floor every would-be opponent that crosses your path.

As a means of last resort self-defense? Sure.
Valuable skill anyone could apply to their lives? Ok.

Addressing not being given that promotion because you're a woman? I guess you could roundhouse everyone in the office then sever the jugular with a letter opener.

The point is, Nia Sanchez was addressing sexual assault, not general equality issues. There is no single fix that is going to change society to the point of making the world safe or even equal for women, it'll take a lot of small steps, over a very long time. In the meantime, I think her suggestion is a viable one.

Whether you want to admit it or not, there are a lot of predators out there. If you want to mingle among them and not be a victim, it only makes sense to know how to defend yourself.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-16 13:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-17 00:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Couldn't decide which thread to use, went with this one.

Quote:
The U.S. is urgently deploying several hundred armed troops in and around Iraq and considering sending an additional contingent of special forces soldiers as Baghdad struggles to repel a rampant insurgency, even as the White House insists anew that America will not be dragged into another war.

President Barack Obama notified Congress on Monday that up to 275 troops could be sent to Iraq to provide support and security for U.S. personnel and the American Embassy in Baghdad. About 170 of those forces have already arrived and another 100 soldiers will be on standby in a nearby country until they are needed, a U.S. official said.

While Obama has vowed to keep U.S. forces out of combat in Iraq, he said in his notification to Congress that the personnel moving into the region are equipped for direct fighting.
Obama Announces About 275 Troops Deploying To Iraq
By fonewear 2014-06-17 06:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

No boots on the ground ! (long as it is under 300) It's not a war it's a 'small scaled death parade'

Almost forgot. No blood for oil! Stop the NRA ! Won't someone please think of the children !

[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-17 07:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-18 12:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karen-cordano/jabba-the-hutt-and-lessons-in-feminism_b_5500881.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

"Can we talk about Princess Leia?"

"OK, but just for a sec because then it is time for songs and cuddles."

T and I were snuggled up and chatting after looking through the most amazing Star Wars pop-up book.

"Why does Jabba the Hutt put a chain around her neck?"

"So she can't escape."

"But why does he do it?"

"Because he is a really bad and evil and despicable character. He made her into a slave. And that is evil. No person should belong to another person. That has happened for real and it is one of the most terrible things imaginable."

"But why doesn't he just put her in the Rancor monster pit like the other guy?"

"Do you want to keep talking about this? We can, but it is late and it will mean no songs tonight. Just talks and cuddles."

"I want to talk about Leia."

"OK." Deep Breath. "He likes to look at her. He thinks she is beautiful and wants to keep her around to look at her. But she is just an object to him. What he is doing is bad."

"What's an object."

"A thing. Like that lamp over there. If he treats her like an object, he ignores that she is human. Listen, there are men out there who don't think women can be as smart as them, or the same as them. They don't think women are equal. This has gone on for a long time. But women fought back. Now women can vote. They can do whatever a man can do. But still, not all men believe women are equal and the same as them."

He was quiet for a moment.

"Listen, T. If you are kind. If you try hard. If you treat girls with the same respect that you treat boys. No matter what, I will be proud of you. The girls at your school? Except for the fact that they have vaginas and you have a penis, they are exactly the same as you."

"OK."

He was quiet for another moment.

"Why does Jabba the Hutt dress Princess Leia like that?"

"Because he likes to look at her body. He likes her more than just wanting to be her friend. Sometimes a person likes another person more than usual. Kind of like the way that Mommy and Daddy like each other. But what he is doing is wrong. You do not force someone to show you their body, no matter how much you like them. That is a choice two people need to make together. And what a person's body looks like shouldn't matter. I love you. And I would love you exactly the same no matter what you look like. Because you are my son and I love the sweet person you are becoming."

"Well. You love me, but you also love the way I look."

Damn it. Kid isn't even 5 and he is calling me out. I do love the way he looks. He is freaking adorable. But I see him through the rose-colored glasses of a mother's love. I truly would find him beautiful no matter what.

"Listen, what Jabba the Hutt does to Leia is despicable."

"What does despicable mean?"

"Evil and terrible. Jabba the Hutt is wrong. We do not treat people like they are less than people. We do not take away their freedom. We do not look at them like objects."

"OK."

"T. I need you to hear this. This is so important. Women are not there for you to look at. They are not there for men to enjoy. They are there for themselves. Do you think I am less than Daddy?"

"No."

"Daddy is not in charge of me. I am not in charge of Daddy. We are partners and we are equal."

"I know."

"This stuff is really important."

"I know."

He looks at me.

"Does Jabba the Hutt make Leia dance?"

"Um. I don't think so."

"OK. I'm done. You can go now."

"We can talk about it more later if you want. Give me a kiss."

"OK. Good night."

"Good night."

Be kind. Try hard. Treat girls with the same respect you treat boys.

I couldn't be more sincere when I say that is all I want from my sons.
By fonewear 2014-06-18 12:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-06-18 13:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

pretty sure that comic applies to most types of minority
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-06-18 14:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Is every argument against feminism a strawman?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-18 14:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Is every argument feminists make a strawman?
ftfy
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-06-18 14:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Is every argument feminists make a strawman?
ftfy

Yes, but they won't call it a strawman, because that empowers men.

It's like when I was in school, and a few feminist girls were criticizing the word "Manager" because it contains "man". They wanted to instead use the word "Womanager".
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-06-18 14:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So... yes.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-06-18 14:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wikipedia said:
A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on the misrepresentation of an opponent's argument.

The problem here is that most people who are anti-feminism aren't against the textbook definition of feminism. Feminism, in theory, is perfectly fine. You say the obnoxious tendencies of some feminists are a strawman because they don't outline the ideals of feminism, I say they're the real target of the argument.

I doubt any of the people arguing against feminism are bothered by the thought of women's equality, so much as the way a large portion of feminists go about it.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-18 14:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Wikipedia said:
A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on the misrepresentation of an opponent's argument.

The problem here is that most people who are anti-feminism aren't against the textbook definition of feminism. Feminism, in theory, is perfectly fine. You say the obnoxious tendencies of some feminists are a strawman because they don't outline the ideals of feminism, I say they're the real target of the argument.

I doubt any of the people arguing against feminism are bothered by the thought of women's equality, so much as the way a large portion of feminists go about it.

I'm bothered by Women's equality. The moment fat men are held to the same amount of shaming as fat women is the moment I stop sexing out of my league. What am I supposed to do? Plow a 7? *** that. (Figuratively)

Peter Griffin said:
Fat men aren't fat, only fat women are fat.
By fonewear 2014-06-18 14:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It shouldn't be History it should be Herstory.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-18 14:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Wikipedia said:

That doesn't play well with some people though.

Those very people like to make blanket statements like "Is every argument against feminism a strawman?" so those who argue against the methods used by feminists can be turned around to state that they hate women and think they are objects and so on/so forth.
By fonewear 2014-06-18 14:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a man so no matter what I do I'm wrong.

[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-06-18 14:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
It shouldn't be History it should be Herstory.

Lol, that reminds me of a teacher I had back when I was in Design School in Wellington NZ during the mid 90's. He was actually a really cool guy, he was German-born (although looked somewhat latin), and he'd been to every part of the world imaginable, experienced every culture, etc etc. You could mention any random place name and he'd immediately be able to tell you about some time when he was there, and be able to discuss its history, culture, etc etc.

Anyway, he was somewhat of a feminist (ironic, I know), and on one occasion, he mentioned that the word "History" was a shortening of "His Story", and that society needs to start telling "Her story". Then he said something about men making women wear high heels so they can't run away.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-06-18 18:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Wikipedia said:

What people say and what they do are two entirely different things. Feminists say all sorts of politically correct nice stuff, they do all sorts of racist and misandrist ***and anyone who points that out gets shamed and attacked. Further more they make everything out to be the fault of this mysterious boogeyman and are professional victims. I ridicule feminists on a daily basis now.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-18 18:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes feminists just need a hug.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-20 09:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/entrepreneur-barbie_n_5508631.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

Barbie has over 150 jobs on her resume. She’s been a football coach, a doctor and even president. But her latest gig might be her toughest challenge yet.

Entrepreneur Barbie's "'smartphone,' tablet and briefcase are the tools of her trade and always by her side."

Mattel, all-powerful Barbie maker, announced Wednesday that Barbie will be trying her luck as a tech entrepreneur. But compared to Ken, Barbie's life as a woman in Silicon Valley will be quite the challenge.

Entrepreneur Barbie's startup ideas include an Etsy-like online crafts store, according to the PowerPoint. But she may have a hard time winning venture capital funding over her male competitors. Just 7 percent of venture capital funding goes to female-led startups, even though women found 60 percent of small businesses.

Part of the reason is that just 3 percent of venture capital funders are women, according to Forbes, and male investors have said that they prefer to invest in entrepreneurs with profiles similar to those with proven track records. (Read: white, Ivy League-educated men like Mark Zuckerberg.)

A recent study also found that women were less likely than men to win investment dollars, especially if those men look like a Ken doll.

Ironically, women-led private technology companies also see higher returns on investment than ones led by men, according to a report last year. If only all those male investors would pay attention.
By Jetackuu 2014-06-20 09:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Then he said something about men making women wear high heels so they can't run away.

How many men want them to run, am I right fellas? (wink wink)
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-06-29 09:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fleshlight Launchpad Lets You Have Sex With Your iPad

Quote:
Ever get the sense we're getting too attached to technology?

Masturbatory aid purveyor , an iPad case that allows a man to attach his Fleshlight directly to an iPad, so that he can simulate sex with whomever -- or whatever -- is on the screen.

That's right. While you're not busy getting a handy from a robot or practicing oral sex on your smartphone, you can now just go ahead and bang your iPad.
By fonewear 2014-06-29 10:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ipad is that some sort of menstruation thing or an overpriced tablet by Apple.
By fonewear 2014-07-04 07:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carina-kolodny/this-is-not-your-independence-day_b_5552640.html

Basically feminism...also I can't imagine anyone attending her 4th of July party...what is really funny is that if she was born in some countries she couldn't even write her "woe is me" I'm a woman article.

The 4th is not my Independence Day -- and if you're a Caucasian woman, it isn't yours either. Our "independence" didn't come for another 143 years, with the passage of The Woman's Suffrage Amendment in 1919. The 4th of July is also not Independence Day for people of color. It wasn't until the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that all men had the right to vote regardless of race -- on paper, that is, not in practice. People of color were systematically, and all too successfully, disenfranchised for another century. July 4th of 1776 was certainly not a day of Independence or reverence for Native Americans. It wasn't until 1924 that Native Americans could unilaterally become citizens of the United States and have the voting rights to go with it.

Now, before anyone argues that Independence is about more than voting rights, I'd like to point out that our Founding Fathers would fundamentally disagree with you. The Revolutionary War was fought, in large part, because of "taxation without representation" -- the then English colonists believed they were not free because their voices were not represented. The right to vote, the right to have your say is the delineating characteristic of a democracy.

There is nothing finite about freedom. July 4, 1776 was a definitive step forward in the struggle toward freedom and democracy but we were a long way off from achieving it. And while we have advanced in leaps and bounds -- my patriotic swimwear goes over way better in Williamsburg, Brooklyn than it would have in Colonial Williamsburg -- we are still a far way off from the freedom and independence we're celebrating.

A resurgence in voter ID laws put in place to once again disenfranchise minorities challenges our collective independence.

This week's Hobby Lobby ruling -- deciding that a woman's employer has any say in her health care -- is a challenge to the ideology of freedom and autonomy our country was founded upon.

The on-going fight for marriage equality prevents same-sex couples in many states from the pursuit of happiness that they are constitutionally guaranteed.

So by all means, enjoy your long weekend. Raise a beer to the ideals of progress and democracy that the 4th of July represents.

But remember that you are celebrating the birth of an imperfect union, remember that the fight for 'freedom' has yet to be won -- and if you must wish someone a "Happy Independence Day!", make sure you're doing something to maintain and advance the Independence you have come to appreciate.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-04 10:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway, he was somewhat of a feminist (ironic, I know), and on one occasion, he mentioned that the word "History" was a shortening of "His Story", and that society needs to start telling "Her story". Then he said something about men making women wear high heels so they can't run away.
He is wrong. The word comes from the Greek historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation."

And he is wrong again. Men used to wear high heels too. They stopped so they could outrun women.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-07-04 10:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
He is wrong. The word comes from the Greek historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation."

And he is wrong again. Men used to wear high heels too. They stopped so they could outrun women.
Speaking of the past, barely 400 years ago, having sex with another man was considered the norm, and the younger the other man was, the more empowered you were. Women were strictly for procreation, and men were for funsies. Documentation and accounts in canonical literature point this out very clearly.

Food for thought, huh?
By fonewear 2014-07-05 08:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenny-trout/i-wore-a-bikini-and-nothing-happened_b_5546206.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

The story is pretty long but who needs to read these days ! I summarized the entire story below.

This year, I made a New Year's resolution that confused some people. By confuse, I mean conversations about it usually went like this:

Me: "Next summer, I'm going to wear a bikini."

Them: "What a great goal! What are you doing? Weight Watchers? Jenny Craig? Are you going vegan? Paleo? Are you having the surgery?"

Me: "I said I was going to wear a bikini. I didn't say I was going to lose weight."

The following photo contains feminism you were warned !
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-05 10:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Gun Extremists: Why Are You 'Defending Liberty' in a Coffee Shop and Not on the Battlefield?

Quote:
Which begs a question for the folks toting assault rifles into the local coffee shop or Home Depot parking lot: Why are you defending liberty in a stateside coffee shop instead of where it counts, in a combat zone?

Some of these right-wing activists use words like "tyranny" and "oppression." But ever since 9/11, there's been plenty of call for people willing to fight true tyranny. During my two decades in the military, I visited countries where people had lived under such tyranny. They knew they'd been oppressed; they didn't need talk radio blowhards to tell them so. When you see real tyranny, it's unmistakable, and it looks nothing like the United States, the most free and prosperous nation on the planet....

It begs another question as well. Almost all of these "defenders of liberty" do their displays in stand your ground states. Do you feel threatened? Blow them away, its LEGAL!
 Shiva.Devastation
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Devastation 2014-07-06 09:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so you got me keep going.

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Sometimes feminists just need a hump.

That's how I just read that. Yep, I was just going to say they need a hug.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 56 57 58