Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-21 12:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

NRA follies dept:

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Freaks Out About Ex-Felons Voting, Is Fine With Them Carrying Guns
Something about this seems hypocritical ...

Quote:
National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre took aim Friday at moves to restore voting rights to people with past felony convictions — an absurd argument, since the NRA helps former felons restore their gun rights.

LaPierre told the organization’s annual meeting in Louisville, Kentucky, that Democrats are “even allowing felons the right to vote, including violent rapists and murderers.”

“Tentacles of the Clinton machine are out registering those felons right now,” he said. “They’re releasing them, and then they’re registering them. Heck, when they sign their release papers, they might as well at the prison door ... give ‘em a Hillary Clinton bumper sticker.”

LaPierre characterized recent moves by Democrats in Maryland and Virginia to allow ex-offenders to vote as dangerously crooked political maneuvers.

But when it comes to giving those same people the right to own a gun, the NRA takes a different position.

The NRA, the largest gun-rights group, has fought for decades to make it easier for ex-offenders to restore their gun rights, even though federal law holds that people convicted of felonies are barred from bearing arms. In some cases, NRA lobbying has made it easier for ex-felons convicted of violent crimes to legally purchase guns.

The NRA was a key supporter of the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, which contained a provision allowing felons convicted of gun crimes and other violent offenses to petition to have their gun rights restored. A review by the Violence Policy Center, a nonprofit that studies the effects of gun regulations, found a number of instances in which violent ex-felons had been given “relief” to own a firearm, only to be arrested on charges of commiting another violent crime.

Congress removed funding from that program in 1992, against the protests of the NRA.

“There’s no reason why a person who has demonstrated they are now a good citizen should be deprived of their right to own a firearm,” NRA representative Richard Gardiner told The Washington Post before the vote. “We ought to recognize that some people can change.”

In recent years, the NRA and other gun-rights advocates have shifted their focus to nonviolent ex-felons.

The process for restoring gun rights to ex-offenders varies by state. Congress, however, has made the process more burdensome by blocking funding for the Justice Department to process applications. Last year, the House passed an amendment that would have provided funds to ensure that more ex-offenders who were prohibited from buying guns could apply for restoration status.

“Those who have lost the right to purchase and obtain a firearm are now one step closer to being able to petition the government for a full restoration of those rights,” the NRA wrote on Facebook.

Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.), who sponsored the amendment (which eventually failed), said the measure was long past due.

“America is a land of second chances,” Buck said in a floor speech. “One mistake should not define your future.”

For people like LaPierre, however, that spirit of redemption apparently only applies to people who want firearms, not those who want to participate in democracy.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-15 21:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

OK Fone I know this isn't the kind of huffPo article you meant but its such a wow eyeopener.

Sad!
These three campaign gurus for Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio
have had some time to reflect on their loss to The Donald.
And do they ever have stories to tell.

They actually do real journalism at the HuffPo.

Who would have thunk it?

Quote:
presidential nominee of the Republican Party, and the mere fact of it hasn't come to feel any less weird, or any less scary. It also means that the three people I had coffee and pastries with last Wednesday morning—Danny Diaz (Jeb Bush's campaign manager), Jeff Roe (Ted Cruz's campaign manager) and Alex Conant (Marco Rubio's communications director)—have been able to process what the hell happened.

Well-compensated, highly intelligent and very publicly defeated, each one of them is still angry, both at Trump and at the media. Each one of them has theories about how we got to this very disconcerting place in American political history. And not one of them is prepared to vote for Trump.

By fonewear 2016-07-15 07:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Long life the Huff Post and first dates

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/an-open-letter-to-the-man-who-criticized-me-on-a-first_us_5783f780e4b05b4c02fd537b
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-27 20:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

GOP Figures Disgusted By Trump Urging Russian Cyberattack
At least one has dared to call it “treason.”

Openers:
Quote:
GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump, whose eventual electoral domestication seems to be forever around the next corner, pivoted back in the direction of the surreal and reprehensible Wednesday morning at a press conference in Doral, Florida. And once again, Trump is taking fire from fellow Republicans in a way that shatters all precedent, as disaffected conservatives receive one more sign that their party’s nominee is catastrophically unfit for office.

Trump managed to reinflame his antagonists throughout his press conference, where ― among sundry bewilderments ― he at one point seemed to confuse Democratic vice-presidential nominee Tim Kaine with former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean.

But if any of his various statements at the press conference really stood out, it was probably the part where he called for state-sponsored Russian hackers to conduct cyber espionage on the United States for his electoral benefit. (Security experts have found evidence that Russia was involved in the hack, and subsequent leak, of a cache of Democratic National Committee emails, which has cast a shadow over the Democrats’ convention in Philadelphia this week.)

Referring to the 33,000 emails deleted from former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s private email server, he addressed Russia like so: “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.” ...
But you really have eo go to the article and look at the tweets.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-27 20:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

to...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-28 11:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I swear, Rooks only got rid of the edit feature just to *** with us.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-28 11:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

And now Trump has come out to say it was sarcasm. Which, you know, was obvious to anyone who made it even one sentence past his statement and doesn't suffer from chronic knee-jerk syndrome.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 12:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The more problematic statement was him saying he would consider recognizing the Russian invasion of Crimea as legit and lifting the sanctions that have sunk the Russian economy. Of course Trump would do that for Putin, his idol, who cares if he is the enemy of the free world.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-28 12:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
The more problematic statement was him saying he would consider recognizing the Russian invasion of Crimea as legit and lifting the sanctions that have sunk the Russian economy.
That's his prerogative.

But I don't understand you Vic. For being in the "feely goody" party, you certainly love to sow discord and harm towards people who's only crime in your eyes is having a person as their leader you don't like.

Who cares what Russia does, as long as it doesn't do it to America? Aren't you tired of sticking your nose in places where it doesn't belong, or do you really wish to rule over the entire world with your feels?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 12:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, what is that garbage KN? Another trolling attempt? This subject is beyond you.

Russia has always been the enemy, Putin kills or locks up people that don't agree with him. He has a long list of human rights violations, his corruption has even spread to the IOC and his country is paying for it. He has literally taken Russia from being a growing threat and 8th largest economy to being a poverty-stricken country with an obsolete military. All he has accomplished in Syria is showing the world how inept Russian leadership is. He can't even bomb the right targets. 3 years ago, people cared what Russia did, now the only reason they are relevant is they have a veto in the UN.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-07-28 12:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Which dictators are we allowed to talk to again?

So the President of Russia, we like to call a dictator because people say the election was rigged. What are we going to call Hillary who got nominated in a rigged election?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-07-28 12:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-28 12:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I have no choice, I have to ignore the blatant personal attacks yet again (since mods refuse to do anything about it), so I'll answer the non-trolling parts:

Russia has always been the enemy
No it hasn't. The Cold War ended Vic. Remember Berlin tearing down the wall? I'm sure YouTube has videos of it.

Russia is not an enemy, you are treating them like that because you don't like their leader.

Putin kills or locks up people that don't agree with him.
So, to condemn him so you can be like him? Or are you going to say, even given your absolute hateful rhetoric towards Putin, that you wouldn't do the same to him in a heartbeat.

He has a long list of human rights violations, his corruption has even spread to the IOC and his country is paying for it.
And his country is paying for it. But you are attributing him to what others did.

Or are you going to attribute Obama for IRS's mishandling of conservative political action committee tax-exempt status? Or Obama to any number of agency mishandling of private information? Or anything else that's wrong with today's government?

Didn't think so.

He has literally taken Russia from being a growing threat and 8th largest economy to being a poverty-stricken country with an obsolete military.
Wait, didn't you say that the US is the one doing that? I mean:

lifting the sanctions that have sunk the Russian economy.

You just said that a few minutes ago! So, is it Putin that's crippling the Russian economy, or is it the US sanctions that are doing that?

Which is it?

All he has accomplished in Syria is showing the world how inept Russian leadership is.
But he didn't draw a red line in the sand! That was your savior, Obama, who did that.

He can't even bomb the right targets.
Neither can the US military. I mean, ISIS is still at large and growing.

3 years ago, people cared what Russia did, now the only reason they are relevant is they have a veto in the UN.
Apparently, you do too. I mean, you could have dismissed Russia's "claim" of hacking into the DNC emails, and said it's just as likely that NK did it.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 13:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You basically just proved this subject is beyond you, crying to the mods isn't going to change that. What are you even saying? It has nothing to do with me not liking Putin, your "argument" is a joke. Its clear you have no knowledge, you are just pretending and trying to troll Obama.

The Cold War ending didn't just magically make Russia a friend and ally. At best, there was an uneasy peace under Yeltsin, but those days are over. Putin has taken them back to being a hostile threat to both the US and the free world, of course his incompetence has made them far less of a threat and helped solidify the US' position on top of the food chain, we just had to give them a little nudge and he walked off the cliff.

The US military has no equal, we kill ISIS every day, they aren't "growing", they are losing the fight. Random attacks in Europe isn't going to save them in Iraq and they know it. They will be out of Iraq, maybe by the end of this year certainly before summer of '17, without us even having to commit ground troops.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-28 13:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You know Vic, you seriously are flailing a lot.

I mean, first you say Russia is a thread, now you say they aren't. You say that Putin is crippling the Russian economy, now you say it's the US.

And, as far as I know, ISIS isn't only in Iraq. Maybe you, with your inside intelligence of US military tactics, know better. Who knows?

But I do know you are full of fluff, and flailing about even more.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-28 13:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, what is that garbage KN? Another trolling attempt? This subject is beyond you.

Russia has always been the enemy, Putin kills or locks up people that don't agree with him. He has a long list of human rights violations, his corruption has even spread to the IOC and his country is paying for it. He has literally taken Russia from being a growing threat and 8th largest economy to being a poverty-stricken country with an obsolete military. All he has accomplished in Syria is showing the world how inept Russian leadership is. He can't even bomb the right targets. 3 years ago, people cared what Russia did, now the only reason they are relevant is they have a veto in the UN.

Okay, so Hillary pretends to be a champion for women's rights and gay rights, yet takes money from countries where being a woman makes you a 2nd class citizen and being gay is a death penalty. Not only that, she refuses to condemn them because of said money. Any comments on that?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 13:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You know Vic, you seriously are flailing a lot.

I mean, first you say Russia is a thread, now you say they aren't. You say that Putin is crippling the Russian economy, now you say it's the US.

And, as far as I know, ISIS isn't only in Iraq. Maybe you, with your inside intelligence of US military tactics, know better. Who knows?

But I do know you are full of fluff, and flailing about even more.

Its the go to argument again, you could have just gone with this right away instead of pretending to know things. I wouldn't have had to waste my time straightening you out.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 13:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Okay, so Hillary pretends to be a champion for women's rights and gay rights, yet takes money from countries where being a woman makes you a 2nd class citizen and being gay is a death penalty. Not only that, she refuses to condemn them because of said money. Any comments on that?

She should give the money back and continue to champion equality for all Americans, something that we still haven't achieved, thanks in large part to people hiding behind their religion.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-28 13:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

She should give the money back and continue to champion equality for all Americans, something that we still haven't achieved, thanks in large part to people hiding behind their religion.
You should know that she will never champion equal rights for anyone.

If she did, there goes her speaking fees.

Its the go to argument again, you could have just gone with this right away instead of pretending to know things. I wouldn't have had to waste my time straightening you out.
Sometimes it amazes me that you can grasp the concept of written language, based by your retorts.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 13:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, done yet?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-28 14:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know, are you going to ignore any of the points I make and make more personal insults?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 14:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You haven't made any points on this page. None. Maybe try to talk about something else, Rav tried to change the subject, follow his lead I guess.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-28 14:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You haven't made any points on this page. None. Maybe try to talk about something else, Rav tried to change the subject, follow his lead I guess.
Do you really need me to hold your hand while I read the points I made in my counterargument? Or will that be too advanced for you even then?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-07-28 14:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You didn't make a counter argument, that would involve some kind of factual statement, of which you didn't make any because you don't know anything. Your best hope is someone else comes in that is actually knowledgeable and tries to pick you up off the ground, but I wouldn't count on that because there isn't much discussion to be had here. You picked a stupid fight to begin with.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-03 20:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Donald Trump’s Musings On Nukes May Be The Most Disqualifying Thing He’s Done Yet
Even threatening a first strike would be profoundly destabilizing.

Quote:
Donald Trump has denigrated Mexicans and Muslims, threatened to break international prohibitions on torture and shown a shocking disregard for the importance of a free press.

But none of that may be as disqualifying for the presidency as his casual attitude toward the use of nuclear weapons ― particularly in light of a news report from Wednesday morning.

The report came from Joe Scarborough, the host of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” during a segment about national security issues that featured former CIA director Michael Hayden. When Hayden said he knew of no prominent experts working with Trump, Scarborough jumped in:
Quote:
I’ll have to be very careful here. Several months ago, a foreign policy expert on international level went to advise Donald Trump, and three times he asked about the use of nuclear weapons. Three times he asked, at one point, if we have them, why can’t we use them? That’s one of the reasons he just doesn’t have foreign policy experts around him. Three times, in an hour briefing, why can’t we use nuclear weapons.
It’s just one secondhand account ― and just a few hours later, Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort told interviewers on Fox News that Scarborough’s story was all wrong. “The idea that he’s trying to understand where to use nuclear weapons?” Manafort asked. “It just didn’t happen. I was in the meeting, it didn’t happen.”

But Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, is as well-connected as anybody in Washington these days. One of his show’s regular guests is Richard Haass, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations, who met with Trump at least once, in August 2015.

More important, as The Huffington Post’s Igor Bobic points out, Trump’s previous statements suggest he is far less reluctant to contemplate the use of nuclear weapons than any other recent president or major presidential candidate.

In a March interview with Bloomberg Politics, for example,Trump was asked whether he would rule out using tactical nuclear weapons against the self-described Islamic State, also known as ISIS. He replied, “I’m never going to rule anything out — I wouldn’t want to say. Even if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t want to tell you that because at a minimum, I want them to think maybe we would use them.”

Later, during an MSNBC town hall, he said, “I’m not going to use nuclear, but I’m not taking any cards off the table.”

It’s hard to overstate how unsettling Trump’s posture on nuclear weapons is. Although precise details of launch procedures are classified, the U.S. has a two-person rule in place for the use of nuclear weapons, according to several published accounts. And under this rule, the secretary of defense must confirm a presidential order before it becomes effective. But in a Trump administration, the defense secretary would be a Trump appointee. In theory, that official would have a legal obligation to verify Trump’s command.

“In military law and discipline, orders must be followed ― as long as they are legal,” Heather Hurlburt, a national security expert at New America, told HuffPost. “So one could easily imagine a President Trump ordering a nuclear strike that military officers thought failed to meet Geneva standards.”

The drama has played out in movies, usually with an unhinged president launching weapons against the Soviet Union or Russia ― or in response to some kind of false alarm. (Yes, false alarms have happened before.) But to imagine a first strike happening with Trump in the White House, it helps to imagine a different kind of scenario ― say, a terrorist attack somewhere in the U.S.

In the fevered, panicked environment that a homeland incident could provoke, it’s not so crazy to imagine Trump ordering a nuclear strike against ISIS targets in Syria ― even though such a strike would, in fact, be crazy.

Probably the most generous interpretation of Trump’s statements is that Scarborough’s account is somehow inaccurate and that Trump merely intends to dangle the possibility of using nuclear weapons as part of his negotiating technique to intimidate foreign adversaries.

But even musing about the use of nuclear weapons would be profoundly destabilizing, because one of the most important checks on the use of such weapons is the knowledge that no nation that possesses them would actually use them without facing an existential threat.
P.S. The article contains LOTS of links.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-03 20:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there even evidence on what he said?

I mean, what somebody said what Trump said sounds fishy enough.

I can quote Clinton saying she eats children for breakfast if that's the case.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-03 20:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Is there even evidence on what he said?

I mean, what somebody said what Trump said sounds fishy enough.

I can quote Clinton saying she eats children for breakfast if that's the case.

That's game-changing. I'm going to go on some partisan, unfunny hack of a website and write a "news" article about it.

Quote:
Hillary Clinton’s Musings On Eating Children May Be The Most Disqualifying Thing She’s Done Yet
Even threatening cannibalism would be profoundly destabilizing.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-12 09:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump Is After The Anti-Gay Bigot Vote, Apparently
At a Florida gathering of evangelicals, he shared the stage with people who say God is preventing an AIDS cure and warn of “militant homofascism.”

The orignal is full of fun, illustrative, links.
Quote:
WASHINGTON ― Donald Trump has said he’s the best ally to the LGBT community in this election cycle. The best, just the greatest. All you have to do is “ask the gays” themselves, he’s said.

But he probably didn’t say that Thursday as he surrounded himself with some of the nation’s most extreme anti-gay activists.

Trump headlined a Pastors and Pews event in Orlando sponsored by American Renewal Project ― a Jerry Falwell Jr. creation ― that brought together hundreds of evangelical pastors who want to shape public policy. Trump shared the stage with a mix of conservative religious leaders who say gay people, in one way or another, are taking the nation on a one-way trip to hell.

Let’s meet them!

David Barton. The evangelical political activist and author says HIV/AIDS is God’s way of punishing people for being gay. He also says Republicans who support same-sex marriage should be “scalped,” and for GOP senators in particular, people should “hang a bloody scalp” over the Senate gallery railing as a warning to other senators.

William Federer. An author of books about faith, he says gay people in the military with access to guns might try to “force their agenda” onto straight people. He also thinks that letting gay people serve openly in the military would lead to large numbers of Christians converting to Islam.

Ken Graves. The Maine pastor and former lumberjack has warned of “militant homofascism” taking over America. He thinks gay families are incapable of being happy because “they are depressed,” and spent his own money to run local ads against same-sex marriage.

Fred Lowery. A pastor at a Florida megachurch, he says America has “deleted God,” which has resulted in the “kinds of problems” like legalized abortion and same-sex marriage.

David Lane. The founder of American Renewal Project, he says “homosexual totalitarianism is out of the closet” and “the militants are trying to herd Christians there.” He says people who embrace homosexuality “know little and practice nothing of Christianity.” Lane also led a push to unseat Iowa Supreme Court justices after they legalized same-sex marriage; demanded a recall of Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) after he vetoed a bill that would have discriminated against LGBT people; and criticized Jeb Bush for hiring a gay spokesman.

Mathew Staver. Where to begin. He founded Liberty Counsel, a group declared “extremist” by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The group is behind anti-LGBT bills around the country that came in response to the Supreme Court’s 2015 ruling on marriage equality. Staver has argued in court in favor of so-called conversion therapy, a wholly debunked practice of trying to convert gay people into straight people. He’s also compared legalizing same-sex marriage to forced sterilization; compared Christians living in a country with same-sex marriage to Jews in Nazi Germany; and compared gay rights advocates to terrorists. Staver represented Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis in court when she refused to issue marriage licenses to a same-sex couple. He also condemned Mitt Romney for hiring a gay staffer.

A Trump campaign spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment on why he decided to associate himself with rabidly anti-LGBT people. During his remarks, Trump didn’t touch on LGBT issues at all.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) also spoke at the meeting. He said in a statement that it was simply “a celebration of faith.”

“The event I will be speaking at in Orlando is a gathering of local pastors and faith leaders. Leave it to the media and liberal activists to label a gathering of faith leaders as an anti-LGBT event. It is nothing of the sort,” Rubio said.

“Because I believe that a strong America is not possible without strong families and strong values, for years now I have participated in events hosted by faith leaders to speak about the cultural and social issues before America, including the importance of parents and families, religious liberties and combatting poverty,” he continued. “I have always supported a traditional definition of marriage. But I recognize that a significant number of Americans hold a different view. Because marriage is regulated by the individual states, they have the right to petition their state legislature to change the law. And those of us who support traditional marriage also have a right to oppose those efforts.”

Democratic operatives took note of Trump’s and Rubio’s role at the gathering ― particularly because it falls on the two-month anniversary of the shootings at an Orlando gay club that left 49 people dead.

“Instead of honoring the memory of those we lost at Pulse two months ago, Donald Trump and Marco Rubio have come to Orlando to headline a gathering of some of the nation’s most incendiary anti-gay bigots,” Democratic National Committee chair Donna Brazile and DNC LGBT Caucus chair Earl Fowlkes said in a statement.

“We at the DNC join all people of good conscience in expressing our solidarity with the Orlando LGBT community as they continue to grieve the deadliest shooting in American history. We suggest Trump and Rubio disavow these anti-gay extremists who have likened gay people to Nazis and characterized HIV/AIDS as divine ‘penalties’ for being gay,” they said. “Failing to do so will be yet another example of the utter lack of judgment that makes Trump unfit to serve.”
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-12 09:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, that can't be the title of the article....

*checks*

....***.

And the media wonders why it's continuing to become irrelevant to people now.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-20 09:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Friday Talking Points — As The Turd Tornado Turns...

Quote:
Some weeks, it’s tough coming up with a subtitle for these columns. Some weeks, not so much. This is one of the latter, because the juxtaposition of a colorful (to say the least) description of Donald Trump with a soap opera’s title just naturally presented itself.

The quote comes in response to Trump’s campaign shakeup, which we’ll get to in a moment. One of the new people Trump hired comes from Breitbart News, and former Breitbart editor Ben Shapiro was being interviewed by CNN’s Brianna Keilar for his response to the shakeup. Here is the transcript, for everyone’s edification:

Quote:
SHAPIRO: I mean, as you probably know, I think Donald Trump’s a turd tornado, but I also understand that he has no capacity whatsoever to control himself and be this staid politician that everyone wants him to be. Telling him to double down is not necessarily terrible strategy. If he’s gonna go down, he’s gonna go down being Trump.

KEILAR: A what tornado?

SHAPIRO: A turd tornado.

KEILAR: What is that?

SHAPIRO: Well, it’s like a sharknado. Except with poop.
Thanks for clearing that up, Ben! We’ll just add that to the images we never thought we’d have to think about in the world of politics (a list which has grown to epic proportions during this presidential race, it’s worth pointing out). With such an auspicious metaphor to work with, let’s see just how the turd tornado (turdnado?) turned last week.

The week began with a speech Donald Trump read off a TelePrompTer. And in a stunning development — are you sitting down? — he then did not stomp all over his message by saying monumentally stupid things for the rest of the week. No, really! True, his message was stomped all over by the shakeup news from his campaign, but this is actually an improvement for Trump. There wasn’t a single tweet or off-the-cuff statement at a rally that derailed Trump’s message this week — which has got to be a new record for him. How many days can he keep this up? We certainly don’t know, as evidenced by the fact that on Monday we wrote of the inevitability of it already happening by the end of the week — which we have to admit turned out not to be the case at all.

Before we get to the shakeup, a word about Trump’s messaging this week. He actually read three TelePrompTer speeches this week, and he seems to be improving (somewhat) on his delivery with each one. The first was on the subject of defeating terrorism and foreign policy in general. The Morning Joe program helpfully put together a mashup video of just a few of the things he said in Monday’s speech that utterly contradict what he’s said about the subjects in the past, which is pretty amusing to watch. The second was a law-and-order speech in front of a mostly-white audience, warning of the dangers of urban crime (which has been par for the course for Republicans since Richard Nixon’s time, it’s worth noting). By week’s end, Trump had made some astonishing news in the third speech, but we’ll get to that in a moment.

The campaign shakeup news was rather ominous for Republicans, since Trump pushed aside the only guy running his campaign who has had actual experience running campaigns before, and replaced him with two additions — a woman who worked for Todd Akin’s campaign (in the “outreach to women” job — you just can’t make this stuff up), and a guy who ran Breitbart News, a website for those who think that Fox News is just another part of the mainstream media’s liberal conspiracy. Yes, there are people out there who think Fox isn’t rightwingy enough, and they all apparently get their news from Breitbart. They also get plenty of conspiracy theories, but that almost goes without saying. The new theme for the campaign, as Shapiro referenced above, is going to be returning to “letting Trump be Trump.” Hoo boy. Buckle up, boys and girls!

Little-noticed in the midst of all this news was the very first poll Breitbart ever commissioned, which was intended to “unskew” all that liberal polling saying Trump wasn’t beating Clinton. The only problem was that even after all this unskewing, Clinton still beat Trump by five points. Guess they’ll have to rework that unskewing formula, eh?

But back to the Trump campaign. With Trump adding a Breitbart executive to his campaign, the rest of the Republican Party spent the entire week waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nobody knew what form it would take, but this morning that shoe hit the ground with a thump, with the announcement that Paul Manafort would be stepping down from the Trump campaign. All week long, the Trump campaign had insisted that they weren’t going through a shakeup at all, they were instead expanding the campaign by hiring more people to run things. This falsehood was exposed with Manafort’s resignation. The Trump campaign is now being run by people who have never run a national campaign for anyone before. And it’s worth pointing out that this isn’t the first such top-level shakeup in Trump’s campaign (and likely won’t be the last).

All of this news has led to noticeable glee over in the Clinton camp (and among Democrats in general). It’s easy to understand such giddiness, since Clinton’s recent polling is so strong, both in battleground states and in previously-deep-red states as well. Tim Kaine is campaigning in places like Wyoming, Idaho, and Missouri (to be fair, the first two aren’t realistic for Clinton to even hope for, as he was just fundraising there from wealthy Democrats). People are beginning to ask whether Trump’s defeat will rival Barry Goldwater’s — and it’s only August. With Trump doubling down on “being Trump,” things look pretty rosy for Hillary Clinton right now.

But there’s a cautionary tale running through the week that few inside-the-Beltway pundits have so far noticed. Could Trump actually be successfully pivoting, in the midst of the shakeup? He gave three TelePrompTer speeches, and had zero blowups this week. He didn’t say (or tweet) anything so radical it dominated the news cycle in a negative way — this during a week when naked Donald Trump statues mockingly appeared in multiple U.S. cities (more on that in the awards). He introduced his first two television ads of the general election. This is all new, for Trump. To end the week, Trump decided to pay a visit to flooding victims in Louisiana — an opportunity for him to show some compassion and “look presidential.” And in the third of those speeches he read this week, he kind-of sort-of apologized for all his previous outrageous statements. Here’s what he read off the screen:

Quote:
Sometimes in the heat of debate, and speaking on a multitude of issues, you don’t choose the right words or you say the wrong thing. I have done that. And believe it or not, I regret it. I do regret it, particularly where it may have caused personal pain. Too much is at stake for us to be consumed with these issues. But one thing; I can promise you this: I will always tell you the truth.
Laughable as that might sound (especially that last line), this appears to be the first time Donald Trump has ever even remotely admitted any sort of mistake he’s made during the campaign. So, to review: three speeches read from prepared texts, two new television ads that will run in battleground states, one presidential-looking photo op, zero speeches ad-libbed at rallies, zero new controversial statements, and one semi-apology. That’s a much more focused Trump than we’ve yet seen. So perhaps all the Democratic celebration about his new campaign team might be a wee bit premature. Has Trump truly pivoted? Has he ridden out his own personal poopstorm? Time will tell. Perhaps this is all the final influence of Manafort, on his way out — perhaps next week Trump will return to form. But even with all the campaign shakeup news, Trump had a better week on the campaign trail than usual.
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58