Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 56 57 58
By Jetackuu 2014-06-15 13:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Who shouldn't have guns?
people in prison
Going out on a limb here, but I think they got that pretty much taken care of. There may be a few instances where somehow a gun was smuggled in, but overall I think we have that covered.
I'm sure my point went over your head. PM me about it if you want to discuss it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-15 16:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Who shouldn't have guns?
people in prison
Going out on a limb here, but I think they got that pretty much taken care of. There may be a few instances where somehow a gun was smuggled in, but overall I think we have that covered.
I'm sure my point went over your head. PM me about it if you want to discuss it.
Your point being that prisoners have too many guns?

Yeah this should be interesting, lol.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-15 18:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Gun control more like fun control.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-06-15 19:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

OK, it isn't the HuffPost, but its even more liberal and does know how to write headlines.

The RNC's Newest Anti-Hillary Weapon Is a Giant Orange Squirrel - Mother Jones

Based on the concept that
Quote:
"Another Clinton in the White House is Nuts."
Waitafrickingminuet... who was the last president to reduce the national debt? Inverse the balance of trade?

Personally I would rather have Bill back again than Hillary.

But compared to Romany???
By fonewear 2014-06-15 19:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinton Gore 2016. Don't worry Al Gore isn't busy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2014-06-15 20:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Who shouldn't have guns?
people in prison

If this right here isn't enough evidence that either 1) your brain doesn't allow for anything further than basic processing or 2) every one of your posts isn't even close to serious, I'm not sure what will be. I suppose it doesn't make much difference.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-15 20:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
Who shouldn't have guns?
people in prison

If this right here isn't enough evidence that either 1) your brain doesn't allow for anything further than basic processing or 2) every one of your posts isn't even close to serious, I'm not sure what will be. I suppose it doesn't make much difference.
So you agree then that people in prison having guns is a current problem? How many shooting have happened in a jail compared to public schools?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-16 07:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Who shouldn't have guns?
people in prison

So you agree then that people in prison having guns is a current problem? How many shooting have happened in a jail compared to public schools?

I have no evidence but every prisoner is issued a 9mm pistol upon arriving in prison.

I thought people in jail only died from terrible food not gun violence.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-16 07:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Who shouldn't have guns?
people in prison

So, you are saying that a criminal wouldn't break the law by getting a gun illegally then.

That they are more honest as law-abiding citizens.

And you think Chaos is stupid? You are just as bad as Pleebo and Jet.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-16 08:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm no law student but according to my studies all gun violence is committed by people that legally purchase a gun.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-06-16 09:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone here actually know how guns get into the hands of criminals? Where they come from? Who supplies them? Things of that nature?
 Fenrir.Squintik
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-06-16 09:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably the usual friend of a guy who knows a guy that went to school with a guy.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-16 09:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Does anyone here actually know how guns get into the hands of criminals? Where they come from? Who supplies them? Things of that nature?
black market.

Plus, if it was public knowledge, they would have been shut down a long time ago.

Well, one would hope.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-06-16 09:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
black market.

Plus, if it was public knowledge, they would have been shut down a long time ago.

Well, one would hope.
So you think that all criminals get their illegal weapons from the mysterious black market?

It's not always that complicated. Did you know that annually there are over 100,000 guns stolen from peoples homes... The guns that are there to protect just simply whisked away by some stranger. These are just the ones that are reported and the number is higher than 100,000.

DOJ

There are also some gun shows and shops that sell without verifying any sort of license.

It is fairly public knowledge on how weapons are procured... What you're referring to is more like knowing the location of and people involved.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-06-16 09:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Private sales are legal as well flav.

Like you to I for instance.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-16 09:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

black market.

Well, one would hope.
So you think that all criminals get their illegal weapons from the mysterious black market?

It's not always that complicated. Did you know that annually there are over 100,000 guns stolen from peoples homes... The guns that are there to protect just simply whisked away by some stranger. These are just the ones that are reported and the number is higher than 100,000.

DOJ

There are also some gun shows and shops that sell without verifying any sort of license.

It is fairly public knowledge on how weapons are procured... What you're referring to is more like knowing the location of and people involved.
So, are you saying that none of the guns stolen from people's homes aren't sold to pawn shops or other questionable locations? That every single one is being used by the thief themselves?

And you basically defined a black market. So, thanks for proving my point.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-06-16 09:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So pawn shops are what you consider the black market now? I thought people didn't know anything about the mysterious black market? lol...

What about all the guns purchased at gun shows/shops that are sold without checking licenses? Is that the black market too?

The point still being that many of the guns supplied over your "Black Market" are first obtained legally. Stolen from homes they were allegedly supposed to proetect...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-06-16 10:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Private sales are legal as well flav.

Like you to I for instance.
Those sales have to be documented. Legal transfer of sale. At least where I'm from. If you buy a gun for someone else in the state I live in it's prison time and a big ol' fine.

It may be different elsewhere.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-16 10:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So pawn shops are what you consider the black market now? I thought people didn't know anything about the mysterious black market? lol...

What about all the guns purchased at gun shows/shops that are sold without checking licenses? Is that the black market too?

The point still being that many of the guns supplied over your "Black Market" are first obtained legally. Stolen from homes they were allegedly supposed to proetect...
I know you are trying your hardest to troll me, but it will never work.

I never said that pawn shops are the black market, so please stop trying to.

I have also never said that gun shows and gun shops are the black market either.

But private sales between two people, done illegally through an unregistered gun seller can be considered to be the black market. I expected you to know that, but in your feeble attempt to troll me, I would guess otherwise.

Guns sold on the black market aren't all stolen from homes, they are either smuggled into this country, bought in gun shows, bought in gun shops, bought in pawn shops, or bought legally in other countries and brought into the country legally.

Apparently you have never heard of funneling. It is very common way to convert hot assets into phantom assets (legal terms, not what you may think of).
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-06-16 10:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Trolling you hard? God you're a joke sometimes...

The point I was making still stands. Many of the guns out there today in the hands of criminals were first made and purchased legally.

I never once said that all guns now in the hands of criminals came from home thefts and I did even mention gun shows/shops. So this whole... "Oh this isn't the only way it happens!" thing is little more than a joke. This is one way guns get into the hands of criminals and it's a significant amount.

Millions of guns over the last couple of decades are on the streets because people who purchase them legally can't be trusted to keep them locked up safely.

It certainly isn't the only way they get over here... Refer to them as whatever kind of sales you want to but this is a significant number.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-16 10:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I hit the nail on the head, didn't I?

The point I was making still stands. Many of the guns out there today in the hands of criminals were first made and purchased legally.
I didn't deny that. I even went beyond that.

But you cannot say that all of the guns obtained illegally were legally purchased (and then stolen).

I never once said that all guns now in the hands of criminals came from home thefts and I did even mention gun shows/shops. So this whole... "Oh this isn't the only way it happens!" thing is little more than a joke. This is one way guns get into the hands of criminals and it's a significant amount.
You only gave 2 examples, I gave several others. If you want to refute those that I gave but you didn't, then go ahead.

We agreed on your two examples. Why don't we discuss the other methods of obtainment then?

Millions of guns over the last couple of decades are on the streets because people who purchase them legally can't be trusted to keep them locked up safely.
And millions more are on the streets because of other methods.

It certainly isn't the only way they get over here... Refer to them as whatever kind of sales you want to but this is a significant number.
It is not the only significant number.

Let me ask you this then. Of all of the guns in the hands of criminals, what percentage of them are purchased from gun shows without background checks, or obtained from people's houses?
By fonewear 2014-06-16 11:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I like where this is going.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-16 11:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

eBay.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-16 11:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/miss-usa-nia-sanchez-self-defense_n_5488775.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

Nia Sanchez may have taken the coveted Miss USA crown, but she seems to have alienated feminists in the process.

Many felt that the 24-year-old's prescription that women "learn to protect themselves" from sexual assault implied that women are responsible for preventing violence against them. In a HuffPost Live interview on Thursday, Sanchez defended her controversial answer.

"We have 30 seconds to answer a question. I feel like all you can do up on that stage on national television is answer the best you personally know how, so I answered with something that I know. I always believe in women empowerment and women's encouragement and for me, in my life, that's self defense," she explained. "Maybe for somebody else it's a Taser or something else, but that's the way I could relate to it personally."

Sanchez counted self defense among many measures society should take to prevent violence against women, acknowledging that teaching women how to throw a punch does not prevent men from attempting assault. "Unfortunately, the world we live in is not always as safe as we hope it could be," she said. "Just feeling confident to escape a scary situation is on women's side."
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-16 11:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/miss-usa-nia-sanchez-self-defense_n_5488775.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

Nia Sanchez may have taken the coveted Miss USA crown, but she seems to have alienated feminists in the process.

Many felt that the 24-year-old's prescription that women "learn to protect themselves" from sexual assault implied that women are responsible for preventing violence against them. In a HuffPost Live interview on Thursday, Sanchez defended her controversial answer.

"We have 30 seconds to answer a question. I feel like all you can do up on that stage on national television is answer the best you personally know how, so I answered with something that I know. I always believe in women empowerment and women's encouragement and for me, in my life, that's self defense," she explained. "Maybe for somebody else it's a Taser or something else, but that's the way I could relate to it personally."

Sanchez counted self defense among many measures society should take to prevent violence against women, acknowledging that teaching women how to throw a punch does not prevent men from attempting assault. "Unfortunately, the world we live in is not always as safe as we hope it could be," she said. "Just feeling confident to escape a scary situation is on women's side."
So, the controversy is that a woman said that the best way to prevent sexual assaults is to defend yourself from it?

What's the counterargument again? The best way to prevent sexual assaults is be more vulnerable?
By fonewear 2014-06-16 11:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know therefore feminism. I use it to get out of all my problems.
[+]
 Fenrir.Squintik
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-06-16 11:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So according to feminists, women should be weak and defenseless, and just scream for help and blame someone else when they're attacked?

On a semi-related note, I just thought of an anti-rape fashion accessory item women could wear whenever they want to hit the town. A simple knee strap with an upward-facing stainless steel 6 inch spike shaped like a claw.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-16 11:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't always look for role models but when I do they are Miss America.

Basically this:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-06-16 11:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I hit the nail on the head, didn't I?

I didn't deny that. I even went beyond that.

But you cannot say that all of the guns obtained illegally were legally purchased (and then stolen).

You only gave 2 examples, I gave several others. If you want to refute those that I gave but you didn't, then go ahead.

We agreed on your two examples. Why don't we discuss the other methods of obtainment then?

And millions more are on the streets because of other methods.

It is not the only significant number.

Let me ask you this then. Of all of the guns in the hands of criminals, what percentage of them are purchased from gun shows without background checks, or obtained from people's houses?
No... not even a good attempt either (on your part so you don't feign to misundersand)...

Where did I ever say they were? Thanks for refuting an argument I never made?

Several others? I think you should look up what the word several means. You repeated the two I put out there. Talked about pawn shops again and then mentioned they could be smuggled in.

I understand that... What does that have to do with what I'm talking about?

I never said it was the only significant number but that it is a significant number.

I already gave you all the numbers for home gun thefts. I'd have to do more research to get a better number for you on gun shows.

I know that between Nevada and Texas alone there are about 300 gun shows alone and only licensed dealers are required to obtain backround checks through the FBI before completing the sale. That raises enough concern for me.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-06-16 12:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Squintik said: »
So according to feminists, women should be weak and defenseless, and just scream for help and blame someone else when they're attacked?

On a semi-related note, I just thought of an anti-rape fashion accessory item women could wear whenever they want to hit the town. A simple knee strap with an upward-facing stainless steel 6 inch spike shaped like a claw.

The point is that it doesn't address the structural issues surrounding how women are treated in our society. Being able to defend yourself doesn't stop harassment/sexism unless you plan to floor every would-be opponent that crosses your path.

As a means of last resort self-defense? Sure.
Valuable skill anyone could apply to their lives? Ok.

Addressing not being given that promotion because you're a woman? I guess you could roundhouse everyone in the office then sever the jugular with a letter opener.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 56 57 58