Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 56 57 58
By fonewear 2015-02-09 13:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen to this woman's horror !

The day before Valentine's Day, I was out shopping with some friends. I thought I would get something pretty to wear for my boyfriend for our date. Turns out, the girls I was with were shoplifting, and we were stopped by security. I got in trouble, too, and spent the night in jail. (I've never even had a ticket!) When I got out the next day, I thought my boyfriend and I would have a romantic Valentine's Day date and celebrate being together after that horrible day, but I didn't get a card. Not a note. No flowers. Nothing. You would assume that we are no longer together after that, but we are! Planning to get married soon as well. People suck sometimes, but we got past it.

Valentine's Day was fast approaching and I was telling the guy I was dating at the time how I didn't really care much for big romantic gestures -- I like to keep things simple. But he really wanted to know what I wanted, so I told him: I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, and I definitely hate the heart-shaped chocolate sampler that everyone seems to get. I asked him not to buy a Hallmark card, and instead make one himself that would be more personal (I have to note: he was a musician who wrote his own songs and can also draw really well), and that I liked the idea of a rose. That was it! When the big day arrived, he came to visit me at my dorm and presented me with his gifts: The biggest heart-shaped chocolate sampler, a Hallmark card and no flower. Absolutely everything I said I didn't want. Amazing. Maybe he was trying to do everything wrong so that I would end things?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-09 13:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I've actually not had any dating horror stories Thanks feminism !
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-09 13:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
The point as you prove is, when you don't like the contents of a bill you are perfectly content to have a Democrat shut down the government. If a Republican does the same they are called terrorists by the phonies on the left and the phonies in the media.
And the point you prove is that you're ok when the Republicans did it but are now opposed to it when the dems try to do it. How are you any different?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-09 13:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
lol how do you find that stuff and when you do why do you read it?
By fonewear 2015-02-09 13:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
fonewear said: »
lol how do you find that stuff and when you do why do you read it?

Because Huff Post isn't a just a website it is my passion.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-02-21 10:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Canadian Politician Blames Tight Underpants For Missing Vote

Quote:
OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — A Canadian politician has blamed cheap, tight underwear for his sudden departure from Parliament causing him to miss a vote on anti-terror legislation.

Opposition lawmaker Pat Martin told Parliament Thursday he had bought a bunch of men's underwear for half price which were clearly too small for him, making it difficult to sit for any length of time.

He apologized for missing the vote amid laughter in the chamber and asked for his vote to be counted.

The speaker of the House of Commons allowed his vote.

On Twitter, Canadians quipped about Martin being "poorly briefed" and how he "briefed" Parliament on why he missed the vote.

Martin, who often uses humor in Parliament, once asked the government if they were prepared for a zombie invasion.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-23 13:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
YouTube Video Placeholder

A television production crew in Lima, Peru, videotaped a purple-colored disc-shaped UFO hovering in the distant sky near a construction site. So far, there's no official explanation for the object.

According to Peru This Week, a television show, "Alto al Crimen" ("High Crime"), was shooting an episode in the upscale Miraflores district of Lima on Feb. 10. The show's host, Lima Congressman Renzo Reggiardo, halted an interview to allow his camera operator to focus on the strange-looking purple object in the sky.

Both distant and zoomed-in perspectives of the UFO reveal a saucer-shaped object, with a large central bright purple section, tapering off on either end. The extreme right end appears almost black in color, while the opposite end seems to be a darker purple shade than the center part of the object. The video also reveals that sometimes the two dark ends appear to become smaller and larger.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing the aerial object for up to two hours, and yet, no video has emerged showing how the UFO left the scene. So, the question remains: How, exactly, did it go away? Did it fall to the ground, float away or speed up and vanish over the nearby ocean? Or perhaps (as in some UFO reports over the years), did it simply vanish?

The Peru chapter of the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) is investigating this case, seeking more eyewitnesses who may have videotaped the purple aerial object from different vantage points.
Purple UFO Interrupts Peru TV Show
By fonewear 2015-02-23 13:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh no the feminists are up to it again !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-24 10:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is some "dating advice" from your beloved:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tamara-star/friend-zoning-the-nice-guy-are-we-nuts_b_6730706.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

TLDR become a male feminist !

According to Wikipedia's definition of the friend zone, Marshall Fine of The Huffington Post suggests: the friend zone is "like the penalty box of dating, when your only crime is not being buff and unobtainable".

While I find Marshall's quote funny, rejecting the nice guy for many of us, is filled with angst.

If he's attractive, kind, nice and giving, we often turn ourselves inside out trying to figure out what our problem is. Why do we so often shut down sexually and put him in the friend zone?

Is it that we don't really want the nice guys?

Not at all. It's because we don't want what the nice guy has to offer.

While most of us do want a nice, kind and giving man, we only want him to a point.

When a man is too nice, too kind or too giving, we sense ***. No one is nice all of the time except for pleasers, over givers and Mr. Nice guys.

If a man falls into any of these categories, at first he might seem wonderful, but below the surface on some level he's a liar, ultimately because he's lying to himself.

Let's start with Mr. Nice Guy.

Women don't want ***, but we do want real. Mr. Nice Guy is too willing to compromise and never pushes back. He'll bend over backwards for his woman while stepping on his own self-respect. Respect breeds respect.

When a man has no boundaries and gives seemingly endlessly, there's no container there. Container as in an edge to experience and actually feel the other. Being with Mr Nice Guy becomes boring.

Dating Mr. Nice Guy is stagnant. It's like dating yourself. There's nothing to push up against, and ultimately we don't feel met. Being in a relationship with Mr. Nice Guy is like dancing alone with no lead.

Want to go to a movie tonight? Sure. Would it be okay if I cancelled our plans to meet the girls tonight? Sure. Oh my plans fell through tonight, are you available? Sure.

Women don't want jerks, but they do want some flavor and some backbone. If a man is constantly agreeable, there's nothing to add flavor to our world and we might as well be solo.

Which leads me to Pleasers.

Pleasers don't express their moods or their opinions because they're so focused outside themselves desperately seeking approval.

Pleasers become out of touch with what they really want and need because they're not tapped into who they really are or what they really feel.

But here's where the deception ultimately resides: pleasers lie to themselves.

Pleasers tend to be so scared of losing who they want, they set their own needs aside and deny what they feel in order to, well... please.

At first it's hard to decipher, but when we're is in a relationship with a pleaser or overly nice guy, eventually the truth behind his actions is revealed -- he's scared and he's needy.

Needy men give to get back versus giving from a place of truth inside their hearts.

It's one thing to compromise within a relationship and want to make your partner happy, it's quite another to sacrifice your own needs. Needy men have no needs, except for the woman in front of them -- you!

What first appears to be adoration and romance, soon becomes suffocating. With needy men, there's a lack of groundedness that's palatable because needy men aren't truly embodied. They live outside themselves and try to enmesh with the other.

~

Healthy women want to grow. We want to stretch. When we're with Mr Nice Guy or Mr. Pleaser, we feel selfish because there's no healthy way to match their over giving.

We eventually feel stagnant because there's no one to grow along with in life. Suddenly we feel like the man and the woman in the relationships because we're calling all of the shots all of the time.

When we're directing every aspect of our movie together, soon the pressure shuts us down.

So what's the one thing needy men, Mr. Nice Guys and pleasers all have in common?

They are all over givers.

Over givers are ultimately selfish.

On the surface they may appear to be easy-going and kind, but there's a dark agenda often hidden from even themselves. There's an empty hole deep inside that was never tended to, healed, or self sourced.

While it's one thing to compromise and prioritize the relationship, it's quite another to over do all of that.

~

As much as men don't want a drama queen or someone who can't take care of herself, women want a fully embodied man who has done the work on himself and is able to fill those empty holes on the inside, by himself.

When a man learns to express who he really is, while tending to his own needs and having an opinion and life of his own, that's when we're attracted to them.

Men (like women) who are wounded early on in life tend to want to please in order to receive love. They don't know their own self-worth and instead identify their worth through the relationship.

Children who were neglected emotionally often grow up learning to manipulate the other for attention and love versus having healthy self-esteem and self-love. Over giving, pleasing, and playing nice for love are all examples of this manipulation.

Learning to self resource our own needs allows us to partner together as self resourced healthy adults.

Standing there with an empty bucket and hoping to fill it through the relationship with us does not.

It's not that we don't want the nice guys, it's that we want fully embodied men holding a full bucket.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-02-24 21:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Too funny. If I understand her correctly, women want a man that doesn't need them, and only wants to please himself.

Paging Dr Freud...
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-24 21:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Too funny. If I understand her correctly, women want a man that doesn't need them, and only wants to please himself.

Paging Dr Freud...
Paging Mr. Grey. Paging Mr. Christian Grey.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-24 21:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Women don't know what they want.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-24 22:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
All right, it might not start until 2016, these things can be awfully hard to predict exactly. However, surprising as it may seem, one way or another the end of ISIS is in sight, and it's all resting securely in the hands of Jesus, peace be upon him.

There has been a great deal of mainstream media attention lately, both video and print, regarding the fact that ISIS is recruiting based on the promise that their fighters are actually participating in the rapidly approaching end of the world.

At the same time, mainstream orthodox Muslim websites are already predicting Jesus' return as early as 2022, starting an Islamic prophetic clock set to run over the next 7 years, in the purportedly rapidly approaching run-up to Armageddon.

The good news is that even if they're wrong, those claims ISIS is making about their own role in Islamic end-time prophecy spell their own certain end. Because even though ISIS claims they're fighting on the side of the angels, it's obvious they're not, and it should become progressively clearer to even the most misguided Jihadi that either ISIS is wrong about Armageddon or that they're on the wrong side, because of all the things Muslims know are supposed to happen.

And if it turns out they're right, then we can all rest assured that by the time the dust has finally settled there will be no question left about who's side they are really on, because it's all going to be about Jesus.

Frankly, although I'd like to believe the orthodox predictions are correct, I think they're premature, and that ISIS is crazy-stupid. We had a very informative event up here in Calgary last month hosted by the US State Department, where Dr. Michael Ryan of the Middle East Institute shared his valuable insights into ISIS' recruiting strategy. We learned that ISIS actually complains in their internal communiqués about their difficulty recruiting informed Muslims, because "Islam makes them tend towards life and their community". They find more success attracting Muslims they call "losers" -- ignorant about their Islamic faith and marginalized by drugs, alcoholism, crime, mental illness or recent life-changing events. That's not the sort of Muslim you would expect to know much about the religion, or to make good life -- or end-of-life -- choices either. Given that, I think we can discount their validity of their "good-guy" claims, even despite their despicable and deplorable actions which should in themselves be sufficient.
But even if we considered that they might be right about the impending apocalypse, what sort of events should the next few years bring according to confirmed Islamic eschatology?

First, the Euphrates River should soon be uncovering a mountain of gold, with the Arabian Peninsula becoming filled with meadows and rivers.
Then, some Muslims throughout the world will be inexplicably transformed into apes and pigs because of their attempts to make lawful some rather significant major sins. Personally, I think that one's aimed squarely at al Qaeda, Boko Haram, Al Shabab and ISIS and their associates, and their rather liberal views regarding murder, tumult, oppression and slavery.
Then shortly thereafter you can expect the coming of the Mahdi, his uncovering of the Ark of the Covenant and his evangelism of a significant proportion of the world's Jews, who will wake up and realize that they shouldn't be ignoring and allowing Israel's oppressing Muslims and Christians in Palestine.
Then, you will see the coming of al-Masih ad-Dajjal --the false Messiah or anti-Christ-- the descent of 'Isa ibn Maryam ['alayhis-salam] --that's Jesus-- and his defeat of the anti-Christ followed by the coming of Ya'juj and Ma'juj --Gog and Magog--,followed by:
The rising of the sun from the west
The appearance of the Beast of the Earth
The wind that will take the souls of the believers
The ruin of al-Madinah --Medina--
The destruction of the Ka'bah --Mecca-- by the Abyssinians
And the fire that will come from the Yemen to gather the people in Sham before the coming of Judgement Day.

I think you'll all have to admit, that's a lot to pack into the next seven years and it's going to be hard to miss.
And with that 7 year clock running, if it all doesn't start happening soon, you can expect to see ISIS supporters starting to slip away.

But if it does come true, what sort of a man is the Mahdi supposed to be? Muslim prophecies are actually frighteningly clear, and do seem to predict the current state of affairs in the Levant, hold out hope for the rest of us and promise an end to ISIS.

At the end of time, a severe tribulation will descend upon my Ummah from their ruler. A worse tribulation will not have been heard of before, until the earth's expanse is constricted upon them, and until the earth is filled with tyranny and oppression, so that the mu'min will find no refuge from the oppression.
Then, Allah ['azza wa-jall] will send a man from my descendents who will fill the earth with equity and justice as it had been filled with oppression and tyranny. The inhabitants of the heavens and the earth will be pleased with him. The earth will not withhold any of its growth, but will bring it out, neither will the sky withhold a drop, but Allah will pour it out upon them in showers. He will live among them for seven years, or eight, or nine. The living will wish that the dead were brought to life again to witness the great good that Allah brought about for the people of the earth.
There will be at the end of time a trial that will sort out men as gold is sorted out from metal. So do not revile the people of Sham, but revile their evil ones, for among them are the Abdal [great righteous people]. A flood is about to be released upon the people of Sham that will split their unity, so that even if foxes attack them, they would defeat them.
At that time, a man from my household will come out with three banners. The one who estimates highly will say that they are fifteen thousand. And the one who estimates lower will say that they are twelve thousand. Their sign will be: "Amit, amit [kill, kill]." They will meet in battle seven banners, and under each of those banners will be a man seeking the kingdom. Allah will kill all of them, and restore to the Muslims their unity and bounty, and their far ones and near ones.

And what about Jesus? Even though Muslims and Christians disagree about what he is, with Christians claiming he's God and Muslims declaring he's not, everybody agrees about what sort of a person he was, is and will be: a man who fulfilled the Jewish Covenant and taught benevolent compassion to his followers, his example remaining a source of hope and inspiration to all humankind for the rest of time.

Can anyone conceive that that person --or Person-- when he --or He-- descends to lead us, could conceivably countenance the despicable and deplorable acts of ISIS?

God Forbid, it could never happen, not even if the world ends tomorrow or lasts for another thousand years.

Bottom line, I have served God and loved Jesus my entire life, and I followed Jesus into Islam when I realized I became a worse man by worshipping Him and a better man by following him. And my greatest hope for today is that Muslims and Christians are all starting to look forward to his return, because regardless of when that happens his example and his words can guide all of us to a better place together, with the help of God.

Because regardless of what the next years bring or which faith we follow, we are all waking up and realizing that we all need Jesus, peace be upon him.
Muslims Predict Jesus Will Defeat ISIS, Beginning in 2015
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-24 22:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bring on the end times I'm going to loot me a big screen TV !

I'm sure the Muslims are worried about Hillary coming to power in 2016 too !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-24 22:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The appearance of the Beast of the Earth
The wind that will take the souls of the believers

Sounds like Hillary !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-24 23:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried searching for a meme about Muslim Jesus defeating ISIS and this was the best picture I found.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-24 23:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What if I told you Jesus is a Republican !

That would spark the end times for sure !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-24 23:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

ISIS has Santa now. Game over.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-24 23:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Santa is a communist. Spreading toys and joy according to children's abilities !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-24 23:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-24 23:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

NSFW language 1:10 part
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-24 23:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

That might be the most random video I've seen on youtube. And I've seen some crazy ***on youtube.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-24 23:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

He was really popular 10 years ago.

NSFW language
By fonewear 2015-02-27 15:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Coming to a theater near you:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/26/the-hunting-ground-campus-rape_n_6751346.html

Kirby *** and Amy Ziering have worked together -- he as director and she as producer -- since their 2002 documentary about French philosopher Jacques Derrida. When their breakout 2012 film "The Invisible War" sparked policy change surrounding sexual assault in the military and collected an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary Feature, *** and Ziering decided to shift their lens to college campuses confronting the same issue. In subsequent years, the topic has exploded as a national crisis. The duo captured its developments in real time, and the stirring results premiered to devastated audiences at the Sundance Film Festival in January. The response was so powerful, in fact, that distributor Radius-TWC sped up the release by a month. The movie opens Friday in New York and Los Angeles before expanding to additional cities throughout March and April, eventually airing on CNN. HuffPost Entertainment caught the movie at Sundance, and recently sat down with *** and Ziering in New York to discuss its challenges.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-02-28 10:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

This Billionaire Governor Taxed the Rich and Increased the Minimum Wage -- Now, His State's Economy Is One of the Best in the Country

Quote:
The next time your right-wing family member or former high school classmate posts a status update or tweet about how taxing the rich or increasing workers' wages kills jobs and makes businesses leave the state, I want you to send them this article.

When he took office in January of 2011, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton inherited a $6.2 billion budget deficit and a 7 percent unemployment rate from his predecessor, Tim Pawlenty, the soon-forgotten Republican candidate for the presidency who called himself Minnesota's first true fiscally-conservative governor in modern history. Pawlenty prided himself on never raising state taxes -- the most he ever did to generate new revenue was increase the tax on cigarettes by 75 cents a pack. Between 2003 and late 2010, when Pawlenty was at the head of Minnesota's state government, he managed to add only 6,200 more jobs.

During his first four years in office, Gov. Dayton raised the state income tax from 7.85 to 9.85 percent on individuals earning over $150,000, and on couples earning over $250,000 when filing jointly -- a tax increase of $2.1 billion. He's also agreed to raise Minnesota's minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2018, and passed a state law guaranteeing equal pay for women. Republicans like state representative Mark Uglem warned against Gov. Dayton's tax increases, saying, "The job creators, the big corporations, the small corporations, they will leave. It's all dollars and sense to them." The conservative friend or family member you shared this article with would probably say the same if their governor tried something like this. But like Uglem, they would be proven wrong.

Between 2011 and 2015, Gov. Dayton added 172,000 new jobs to Minnesota's economy -- that's 165,800 more jobs in Dayton's first term than Pawlenty added in both of his terms combined. Even though Minnesota's top income tax rate is the 4th-highest in the country, it has the 5th-lowest unemployment rate in the country at 3.6 percent. According to 2012-2013 U.S. census figures, Minnesotans had a median income that was $10,000 larger than the U.S. average, and their median income is still $8,000 more than the U.S. average today.

By late 2013, Minnesota's private sector job growth exceeded pre-recession levels, and the state's economy was the 5th fastest-growing in the United States. Forbes even ranked Minnesota the 9th-best state for business (Scott Walker's "Open For Business" Wisconsin came in at a distant #32 on the same list). Despite the fearmongering over businesses fleeing from Dayton's tax cuts, 6,230 more Minnesotans filed in the top income tax bracket in 2013, just one year after Dayton's tax increases went through. As of January 2015, Minnesota has a $1 billion budget surplus, and Gov. Dayton has pledged to reinvest more than one third of that money into public schools. And according to Gallup, Minnesota's economic confidence is higher than any other state

Gov. Dayton didn't accomplish all of these reforms by shrewdly manipulating people -- this article describes Dayton's astonishing lack of charisma and articulateness. He isn't a class warrior driven by a desire to get back at the 1 percent -- Dayton is a billionaire heir to the Target fortune. It wasn't just a majority in the legislature that forced him to do it -- Dayton had to work with a Republican-controlled legislature for his first two years in office. And unlike his Republican neighbor to the east, Gov. Dayton didn't assert his will over an unwilling populace by creating obstacles between the people and the vote -- Dayton actually created an online voter registration system, making it easier than ever for people to register to vote.

The reason Gov. Dayton was able to radically transform Minnesota's economy into one of the best in the nation is simple arithmetic. Raising taxes on those who can afford to pay more will turn a deficit into a surplus. Raising the minimum wage will increase the median income. And in a state where education is a budget priority and economic growth is one of the highest in the nation, it only makes sense that more businesses would stay.

It's official -- trickle-down economics is bunk. Minnesota has proven it once and for all. If you believe otherwise, you are wrong.
Funny, I thought the last two Bushes proved that trickle down economics was bull puckey.
By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

See the trick is to not take the Huff Post seriously.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-02 14:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

NSFW ish

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/26/love-and-sex-podcast-clitoris_n_6761642.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

Best response from under the article: (who actually reads articles anyways)

"The Power Of The Clitoris"

This is exciting news, but I have some questions.

Is this a renewable power source? Can you get it without fracking? Is it green? Does it leave a carbon footprint or create toxic run-off? Can I get a tax deduction if I install a clitoris to power my house or car?

This isn't some scheme by greedy capitalists, is it? I don't want to hear about any Big Clitoris lobbyists corrupting our government with money. Will clitoris operators be properly taxed? Nor do I want to become dependent on clitorises imported from the Middle East or other OCEC nations.

I'm pretty sure the clitoris has already been responsible for a great deal of global warming.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-03-02 14:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Everytime I've interacted with that power source, I've contributed greatly to global warming, if you know what I mean.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-02 14:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

We need to get big clit lobbyists out of the government !
By Altimaomega 2015-03-02 18:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
This Billionaire Governor Taxed the Rich and Increased the Minimum Wage -- Now, His State's Economy Is One of the Best in the Country

Quote:
The next time your right-wing family member or former high school classmate posts a status update or tweet about how taxing the rich or increasing workers' wages kills jobs and makes businesses leave the state, I want you to send them this article.

When he took office in January of 2011, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton inherited a $6.2 billion budget deficit and a 7 percent unemployment rate from his predecessor, Tim Pawlenty, the soon-forgotten Republican candidate for the presidency who called himself Minnesota's first true fiscally-conservative governor in modern history. Pawlenty prided himself on never raising state taxes -- the most he ever did to generate new revenue was increase the tax on cigarettes by 75 cents a pack. Between 2003 and late 2010, when Pawlenty was at the head of Minnesota's state government, he managed to add only 6,200 more jobs.

During his first four years in office, Gov. Dayton raised the state income tax from 7.85 to 9.85 percent on individuals earning over $150,000, and on couples earning over $250,000 when filing jointly -- a tax increase of $2.1 billion. He's also agreed to raise Minnesota's minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2018, and passed a state law guaranteeing equal pay for women. Republicans like state representative Mark Uglem warned against Gov. Dayton's tax increases, saying, "The job creators, the big corporations, the small corporations, they will leave. It's all dollars and sense to them." The conservative friend or family member you shared this article with would probably say the same if their governor tried something like this. But like Uglem, they would be proven wrong.

Between 2011 and 2015, Gov. Dayton added 172,000 new jobs to Minnesota's economy -- that's 165,800 more jobs in Dayton's first term than Pawlenty added in both of his terms combined. Even though Minnesota's top income tax rate is the 4th-highest in the country, it has the 5th-lowest unemployment rate in the country at 3.6 percent. According to 2012-2013 U.S. census figures, Minnesotans had a median income that was $10,000 larger than the U.S. average, and their median income is still $8,000 more than the U.S. average today.

By late 2013, Minnesota's private sector job growth exceeded pre-recession levels, and the state's economy was the 5th fastest-growing in the United States. Forbes even ranked Minnesota the 9th-best state for business (Scott Walker's "Open For Business" Wisconsin came in at a distant #32 on the same list). Despite the fearmongering over businesses fleeing from Dayton's tax cuts, 6,230 more Minnesotans filed in the top income tax bracket in 2013, just one year after Dayton's tax increases went through. As of January 2015, Minnesota has a $1 billion budget surplus, and Gov. Dayton has pledged to reinvest more than one third of that money into public schools. And according to Gallup, Minnesota's economic confidence is higher than any other state

Gov. Dayton didn't accomplish all of these reforms by shrewdly manipulating people -- this article describes Dayton's astonishing lack of charisma and articulateness. He isn't a class warrior driven by a desire to get back at the 1 percent -- Dayton is a billionaire heir to the Target fortune. It wasn't just a majority in the legislature that forced him to do it -- Dayton had to work with a Republican-controlled legislature for his first two years in office. And unlike his Republican neighbor to the east, Gov. Dayton didn't assert his will over an unwilling populace by creating obstacles between the people and the vote -- Dayton actually created an online voter registration system, making it easier than ever for people to register to vote.

The reason Gov. Dayton was able to radically transform Minnesota's economy into one of the best in the nation is simple arithmetic. Raising taxes on those who can afford to pay more will turn a deficit into a surplus. Raising the minimum wage will increase the median income. And in a state where education is a budget priority and economic growth is one of the highest in the nation, it only makes sense that more businesses would stay.

It's official -- trickle-down economics is bunk. Minnesota has proven it once and for all. If you believe otherwise, you are wrong.
Funny, I thought the last two Bushes proved that trickle down economics was bull puckey.

Quote:
Minnesota is a leading state in annual farm income. It ranks at #5 among the states, generating about 4% of the nation's total agricultural receipts.

In terms of revenue generated Minnesota's top five agricultural products are corn for grain, hogs, soybeans, dairy products, and and cattle and calves.

Guess what has been skyrocketing in price since 2011. Yup, you guessed it ALL of the above. Guess what was dirt cheap prior to 2011.. Yup, you guessed it... All of the above!

That doesn't even account for the ethanol mandate the state has.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Minnesota

Just because a democrat comes in raise's taxes and everything works out "for the moment" doesn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things. Want to point out what democrats do with a high degree of data and accuracy? Take a look at Michigan and Illinois.
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 56 57 58