Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 56 57 58
By Jetackuu 2014-11-08 01:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Two-Thirds Of America's Biggest Retailers Are Worried About Flat Wages

Quote:
It's not just middle-class America that is feeling the crunch of dismal wages and stubborn unemployment levels. Even the corporations that sign the paychecks say workers aren't making enough money.

Sixty-eight percent of the top 100 retail companies in the U.S. -- a group that includes, Walmart, Apple, McDonald's and J.C. Penney -- say the country's stagnant wages pose a major threat to their bottom lines, according to a new report by the Center For American Progress, a left-leaning think tank.

Researchers analyzed the most recent SEC 10-K filings of the largest 100 retailers in the country and found that more than two-thirds of these corporations issued warnings to investors that profits could be hampered by flat wages, high unemployment and low consumer spending. The trend is hammering companies that target high-income customers, like Whole Foods and Dillard's, and those that market to low-income shoppers, like Dollar General and T.J. Maxx, according to the report.
There is an easy way to cure this guys. Give your workers a living wage rather than tips on how to get government assistance.

But but, you're trying to start a class war /sarcasm

Yeah, you'd think that the party of "fiscal responsibility" would want companies to properly pay their employees to get them off the government assistance, but nooooo...
By Jetackuu 2014-11-08 01:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the disturbing part from that article:

Quote:
McConnell has long been legislatively allied with Wall Street. He voted to repeal the Glass-Steagall separation between traditional lending and risky securities trading in 1999. He voted to bail out the banks in 2008 and to release an additional round of bailout funds in 2009. The next year, he voted against Dodd-Frank. For the 2014 elections, he raised $6.4 million from the financial sector, more than double what he brought in from any other industry, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Six of his 10 biggest donors for this election cycle were political action committees tied to large financial institutions, including JPMorgan Chase, Goldman Sachs and Citigroup.

So why should we take this guy seriously? if not have a trial for him for treason against the people?
By Fumiku 2014-11-08 15:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Quote:
McConnell has long been legislatively allied with Wall Street. He voted to repeal the Glass-Steagall separation between traditional lending and risky securities trading in 1999. He voted to bail out the banks in 2008 and to release an additional round of bailout funds in 2009. The next year, he voted against Dodd-Frank. For the 2014 elections, he raised $6.4 million from the financial sector, more than double what he brought in from any other industry, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Six of his 10 biggest donors for this election cycle were political action committees tied to large financial institutions, including JPMorgan Chase, Goldman Sachs and Citigroup.

So why should we take this guy seriously? if not have a trial for him for treason against the people?

Seriously hated voting for this guy.....
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-08 19:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Crews Have Been Pulling Zombies Out Of Lake Michigan

Quote:
Call them the floating dead.

Rescue crews in Chicago have been hard at work pulling zombies out of Lake Michigan after a Halloween barge sank off Navy Pier on Oct. 31. The roughly 50 zombies on the boat have continued to surface throughout the week, WGN reports.

“It’s an unbelievable amount of effort from painters to costume makers,” owner John LaFlamboy told WGN Wednesday, estimating the investment in the barge to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. “So to watch it sink was very heartbreaking for a lot of us.”

Winds above 70 mph ripped through the city on Halloween, causing 21-foot waves in some parts of the lakeshore. The Zombie Containment, a floating haunted house docked outside Navy Pier, was among the casualties of the rough weather dubbed a "Halloween Howler."

After the haunted house was damaged Friday, officials closed other attractions, including the Ferris wheel, Grand Ballroom and East End Plaza, due to the weather, the Chicago Tribune notes.
By fonewear 2014-11-08 19:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm using spiritual warfare to spite my enemies !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-09 07:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Quote:

You do realize that this is a Huff Post article, right?

They are about as accurate as Giorgio Tsoukalos is.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-09 21:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just in case you thought none of the incoming Republicans are wackos:

Here Are Some Things That Soon-To-Be Iowa Senator Joni Ernst Actually Said

But this crop are careful wackos. Not loose lip shoot from the lip wackos.

All this is old, and reported on, news. But nary a word from the mainstream media. And in the last week or two before the election the allegedly liberal NY Times ran what could best be described as a fawning puff piece on her.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-09 22:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

All this is old, and reported on, news. But nary a word from the mainstream media. And in the last week or two before the election the allegedly liberal NY Times ran what could best be described as a fawning puff piece on her.
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-10 09:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Still sore huh?

Hey, they got elected so they clearly weren't as bad of whackos as their democrat competitors.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-10 09:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah because the mainstream media has always been bestest best friends with all the republicans... it's like a hippy lovefest up in here.

did you forget to take your pills this morning?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-10 10:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-10 10:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You know why I got to Huff Post for hard hitting stories such as:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathleen-brooks/being-fat_b_6097544.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

I am fat. This fact cannot be disputed.

I am also intelligent, educated and successful. To look at me, one might never guess that I am a successful director at a large corporation or that I gave up a child for adoption or that I survived kidney failure and a lifesaving kidney transplant. You probably also would not guess that I speak Arabic and was an interpreter on an archaeology dig in Syria. Would you guess I have been married twice and that I was an accomplished athlete? I have many stories, but because I am fat, you may never know these things about me.

You see, I, like many others like me, endure one of the few remaining acceptable forms of discrimination. Some people may judge me by the way I look and assume that I am stupid, lazy or that I eat chips and ice cream all day. They may also assume I don't care about myself. They only see the fat. They treat me differently than they treat thinner, more attractive women. I know this because I wasn't always fat. I, too, was oblivious to fat people and even shared some of these cruel misjudgments toward them. When I resided in a different body, I didn't know how different my life would be and how different I would feel about myself in a fat body.

My transformation has been remarkable. I went from being a confident, fun, smart and beautiful woman to a fearful and shy resemblance of my former self. I am somehow falling into my dutiful place in the world, trying not to been seen and feeling ashamed of me.

Now, don't get me wrong; I don't want to be fat. I want to feel the way I used to feel. I am on a constant diet and trying every new one that comes along. I watch the weight loss shows and fantasize. I exercise with a personal trainer; I obsess over food and how many calories there are. I get creative with vegetables and eat a ton of them. I get discouraged and pick myself up again. But since my transplant and the steroids I take to keep my body from rejecting my new kidney, I can't seem to lose the weight that I put on since that life-saving surgery. But losing weight is not what this is about.

I am amazed at how inferior I feel now. I feel invisible. People avoid eye contact with me. I am often treated rudely or dismissed. I live in daily fear that my weight will be the thing that results in my long list of fears, which now rule my every thought. I fear things like being let go from my job because "I don't represent the company well," or of never finding a man to love me again because I am no longer attractive. I wonder if people are embarrassed to be seen with me. I fear that someone might say something horrible to me like, "stay away from the donuts, fat a**," or complain loudly that they have to sit next to me on the airplane... again. And yes, the big one, will I die young because of the fat on my body?

Will anyone know the amazing life I have lived and the person that I used to be? Will they know the adventures I have had and people I have met? Amazing experiences like riding horseback Saturday mornings at the Giza pyramids when living in Cairo; being interrogated at gunpoint in Syria; living in Yemen; moving to Egypt as a 13-year-old American; living with lupus, and raising a son by myself. I fear the answer to my questions is no. Just like others that are discriminated against for the color of their skin, many people dismiss me or are rude when they see me in this body. They don't want to know me because they assume that I am something different than I am. The key difference is there are laws and social pressure against racial discrimination (which is still far too prevalent!). Discriminating against fat people is still socially acceptable, and in fact, it is done all the time.

My dream, of course, is to lose some weight. But, if I continue to be unsuccessful, will I ever been seen and acknowledged again the way I used to be? Will anyone step back and see me, want to know me, or will they just continue to see that I am fat?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-10 10:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I know Fone forgot to quote the story so I promise im not talking to you directly Fone (you fatass).

fonewear said: »
You see, I, like many others like me, endure one of the few remaining acceptable forms of discrimination.
They treat me differently than they treat thinner, more attractive women.
The key difference is there are laws and social pressure against racial discrimination (which is still far too prevalent!). Discriminating against fat people is still socially acceptable, and in fact, it is done all the time.

I am amazed at how inferior I feel now. I feel invisible. People avoid eye contact with me. I am often treated rudely or dismissed. I live in daily fear that my weight will be the thing that results in my long list of fears, which now rule my every thought. I fear things like being let go from my job because "I don't represent the company well," or of never finding a man to love me again because I am no longer attractive.

More evidence of the efforts to criminalize "being a man"

Some people may judge me by the way I look and assume that I am stupid, lazy or that I eat chips and ice cream all day.

Well, don't you? It is impossible to stay fat without overeating. Steroids may increase your appetite, but overeating makes you gain weight.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-10 10:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
It is impossible to stay fat without overeating. Steroids may increase your appetite, but overeating makes you gain weight.
Some people are fat due to overactive thyroid glands.

But true, most are fat due to overactive mouth glands.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-10 13:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I, too, was oblivious to fat people and even shared some of these cruel misjudgments toward them.

It's called karma honey, and it's a *** and a half...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-10 16:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It is impossible to stay fat without overeating. Steroids may increase your appetite, but overeating makes you gain weight.
Some people are fat due to overactive thyroid glands.

But true, most are fat due to overactive mouth glands.

You're thinking of hypothyroidism (underactive).

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
It is impossible to stay fat without overeating

That's false. There are medical conditions causing weight gain.

The overall idea that anything aside from eating causes you to gain weight is nonsense. Being hungry never made anyone fat, look at Africa.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-27 17:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
An 84-year-old New Yorker's date with two 17-year-old twin sisters ended with the senior citizen tied up and robbed, according to police.

The New York Times reports that Paul Aronson met up with 17-year-old Shaina Foster last month through SeekingArrangement.com, a sugar daddy site that bills itself as a place “where beautiful, successful people fuel mutually beneficial relationships,” according to the Times.

After a first date, Shaina brought her twin sister Shalaine along to the second. The trio dined at an "expensive restaurant" and then Aronson invited them back to his apartment for a drink, court documents said.

That's when Shaina told authorities things got out of hand.

“He asked to do things I wasn’t going to do,” she told Detective Darryl Ng. “He is ugly, old and disgusting. I tied him up. I took his money and left. He was starting to creep me out.”

The New York Daily News reports that the sisters allegedly tied Aronson up with zip ties, stole $420 worth of cash from his wallet and took his credit card. They then went on a shopping spree and bought makeup, police said.

Shaina Foster told authorities she was surprised Aronson called police.

"The old man reported me? I don’t understand why he reported me," she said, according to court documents.

The New York Post reports that on Wednesday, Shalaine Foster's lawyer said his client was brought along by her sister and didn't take part in any of the crimes her sister allegedly committed.

"There’s always that story of the good twin and the bad twin, who goes right and who goes wrong,” Brian Kennedy said. ”​My client Sh​alaine was always going right but it seems she got caught up in something that was not of her making.”

The pair are charged with kidnapping, burglary, robbery, assault and grand larceny. They are being held without bail.

The age of consent in New York is 17, which may at least partially explain why Aronson isn't facing any charges.
84-Year-Old's Date With Teen Twins Turns Into Nightmare: Cops
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-11-28 11:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do I get the feeling this isn't their first rodeo?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-28 20:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you forget the thread we are posting in?

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
....did you forget to take your pills this morning?
Women of a certain age no longer need those morning pills.

I am WAY past that certain age.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-28 21:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you forget the thread we are posting in?

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
....did you forget to take your pills this morning?
Women of a certain age no longer need those morning pills.

I am WAY past that certain age.

That's the age where it takes nearly 3 weeks to reply to posts, apparently.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-30 14:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Giuliani: Unjustified Shootings Of Unarmed Blacks Have To Be Placed In ‘Proper Context'

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said on Sunday that there is "no question" that unjustified shootings happen more often in black communities, but said those communities have the responsibility to prevent the need for more police officers in their neighborhoods in the first place.

"There's no question that individual cases have situations that are unjustified, but you've got to put it in proper context," Giuliani said on "Fox News Sunday" when asked about a video showing an officer in Cleveland killing 12-year-old Tamir Rice as he was holding an Airsoft pellet gun. "Why is it happening? Why is it happening more often in the black community? And doesn't it actually logically make sense that it's going to happen more often in the community where there is five, six, seven, eight, nine times more violence than in another community?"

Giuliani, who said last week that more white officers are needed in certain neighborhoods to keep black people from killing one another, also admitted there is "more unfair interaction" between police officers and people in black communities. But he said that while some of the responsibility is on police departments to better train their officers and diversify their police force, "just as much, if not more, responsibility is on the black community to reduce the reason why the police officers" were assigned to black neighborhoods to begin with.

Giuliani also said he had changed his mind about the need for body cameras because he believes they would show that 90 or 95 percent of police shootings are justified.

TLDR: Its all their fault, don't blame cops.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-12-12 19:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The Levee Breaks: Democrats Rage Against Obama Over Wall Street Giveaway

Hmm, more discontent with Obama at the Huffington Post today.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-12-12 20:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Elizabeth Warren tries/fails to shut down the government. The hypocrites on the left applaud her courage.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-12 20:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ama did you see what has been folded into that bill?

Its appalling.

Quote:
Other winners were big banks, who won a rollback of some portions of the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulation law, and political parties, which may now accept huge donations from individual donors.
The banks can gamble with YOUR money, and bailouts are forced, at taxpayer expense, should they loose.

Almost unlimited soft money returns too.

Full article from the NY Times:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Senate on Friday prepared to pass a $1.1 trillion spending package notable for its expansive spending on military and disease fighting abroad, as well as its scaling back of financial and environmental regulations at home.

In contrast to the raucous process in the House the night before, the bipartisan deal met relatively muted dissent in the Senate, which was on track to approve the legislation by early next week. Despite objections by some of the Senate’s most liberal and most conservative members, the party leaders appeared firmly in control. They were pushing for swift approval of the spending bill, which includes dozens of policy measures that underscore the power of the Republican majority in the next Congress.

As a precaution, the House passed another short-term funding measure on Friday that would give the Senate until Wednesday evening to push through the spending package.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

From Contribution Limits to the Sage GrouseDEC. 12, 2014
Speaker John A. Boehner before the vote. Some Republicans said Mr. Boehner had not taken a strong enough stance against the president’s immigration action.
House Narrowly Passes Bill to Avoid Shutdown; $1.1 Trillion in Spending DEC. 11, 2014
The congressional leaders, from left, John A. Boehner, Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell and Nancy Pelosi at a ceremony Wednesday.
Spending Bill Hits Snags, but Congress Thinks It Can Avoid ShutdownDEC. 10, 2014
Congressional Leaders Reach Deal on SpendingDEC. 9, 2014

The bipartisan budget agreement passed by the House would keep most of the government operating through the fiscal year, averting a shutdown of the government and providing Republicans with a fresh slate when they have control of both houses of Congress in January.

The deal provides $64 billion for military operations in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, and $5.4 billion to combat the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Other winners were big banks, who won a rollback of some portions of the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulation law, and political parties, which may now accept huge donations from individual donors.

In a concession to Republicans, many of whom were outraged over President Obama’s unilateral decision to defer the deportation of as many as five million undocumented immigrants, the package only funds the Department of Homeland Security — the primary agency responsible for carrying out the president’s order — through February. At that point, Republicans will have the Senate majority, and believe they will be in a better position to challenge Mr. Obama’s policy.

Senator Harry Reid, Democrat of Nevada and majority leader, said that the legislation was “far from perfect,” but much better than the likely alternative — a three-month extension of federal spending at current levels.

The bill, Mr. Reid said, “gives the Affordable Care Act the secure financial footing that it deserves,” and provides money for military operations against the Islamic State and for public health efforts against the Ebola virus. He added that while he did not support the provisions of the bill that roll back Dodd-Frank restrictions on big banks, “legislation is the art of compromise.”

But the bill brought together unlikely allies, uniting progressive Democrats with Tea Party Republicans against a provision that would scale back part of the Dodd-Frank Act that limits the ability of big banks to trade certain risky financial instruments.

Senator Elizabeth Warren, Democrat of Massachusetts, in a show of her emerging strength as a leader among progressives, spoke defiantly against the financial regulation provision, but did not seem likely to summon enough colleagues to her cause to stop the bill. She drafted an amendment to eliminate the provision in the spending bill that deals with the Dodd-Frank law.

“Ever since the new financial regulations went into place,” Ms. Warren said, “Wall Street has been working behind the scenes to open another loophole so they could gamble with taxpayer money and get bailed out when their risky bets threaten to blow up our financial system. Congress should not put taxpayers on the hook for another bailout.’“

Senator David Vitter, Republican of Louisiana, joined Ms. Warren, saying that Congress should not be “handing out Christmas presents to the megabanks and Wall Street.”

On immigration, Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, threatened to delay the spending package unless he received a vote on an amendment that would prevent the president from implementing his executive action. He said he was doing “everything humanly possible” to ensure “the opportunity to make clear each senator’s views on whether we will be complicit in funding President Obama’s illegal amnesty.”

The bill also reduces funds for the Environmental Protection Agency for the fifth straight year, trimming $60 million from 2014 levels; prohibits the agency from regulating the lead content of ammunition or fishing tackle; and exempts livestock producers from greenhouse gas regulations.

Even as Congress tried to negotiate the final timing of the spending bill on Friday, it also gave final approval to a bill that sets policy for military spending, authorizing up to $577 billion in the current fiscal year.

By a vote of 89 to 11, the Senate approved the annual defense authorization bill, which the House passed last week, 300 to 119.

The bill authorizes nearly $64 billion for overseas military campaigns, including money to train and equip Syrian rebels fighting the Islamic State. It also allows a 1 percent pay increase for military personnel and establishes new procedures to improve the handling of sexual assault cases in the military.

Several conservatives, led by Senator Tom Coburn, Republican of Oklahoma, objected to unrelated provisions of the bill that expand national parks, wilderness areas and other federal lands. “A bill that defines the needs of our nation’s defense is hardly the proper place to trample on private property rights,” Mr. Coburn said.

In addition to the spending bill, the Senate has other business before members can head home for the holidays. The Senate is expected to approve a House-passed bill retroactively ending dozens of tax breaks. The tax breaks — like the research and development tax credit for businesses and the deduction for state and local sales taxes for individuals — will expire all over again on Jan. 1 under the one-year plan approved by the House.

The Senate is working its way through some remaining judicial and other nominations as well, and hopes to pass a terrorism risk insurance package, which would raise the threshold of terrorism damage at which federal aid is available, to $200 million from $100 million, and is set to expire at the end of this year.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-12-12 20:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The point as you prove is, when you don't like the contents of a bill you are perfectly content to have a Democrat shut down the government. If a Republican does the same they are called terrorists by the phonies on the left and the phonies in the media.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-01-01 10:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy New Year to my fellow feminists!:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-shaw/7-feminist-new-years-resolutions_b_6397218.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

I'm usually not a fan of New Year's resolutions, mostly because they tend to center on weight loss, looks and other superficialities, plus they're nearly impossible to observe 100 percent of the time. But this year I'm shaking things up.

In the spirit of sisterhood, and in a concerted effort to be the best possible role model for my increasingly aware daughter and my as-yet-born son (due to arrive in June!), I've compiled a brief list of feminist resolutions to help guide my 2015. (Of course, with a newborn in tow, it remains to be seen just how successful I'll be at adhering to these!)

1. Support other mothers. I'm about to be painfully reminded of the horrors (the sleep deprivation! the sore nipples! the screaming and crying!) that accompany life with a new baby, and I can't think of a better time to encourage and emotionally support other women who are going through the same thing.

2. Indulge in self-care. Whether it's a mani-pedi, a massage or even 20 minutes of "me" time in the evenings, self-care is mandatory. And make no mistake about it: this is undoubtedly a feminist act because with self-care comes self-preservation.

3. Patronize the (female) arts. Watch more female-directed and produced films. Read more books written by women, etc.

4. Be more body-positive. And I don't mean talk the talk, but really walk the walk. Especially after I give birth and impatiently wait for my body to snap back into shape.

5. Be a better ally. Not just for other women, but more widely for communities of color and LGBT individuals.

6. Keep paying attention. To politics, rape culture, feminist change makers, protestors, white privilege, women's representation in the media -- all of it. Because knowledge is power and can be transformative.

7. Buy that "This is What A Feminist Looks Like" onesie once and for all.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-01 10:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Huffington Post thinks that a realistic budget is controversial

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Dec 31 (Reuters) - As Republicans assume control of the entire U.S. Congress in the new year, they are expected to push a controversial change to use more macroeconomic projections in determining the impact of tax and budget legislation on the federal deficit.

Critics say wider use of "dynamic scoring," as the Republican-favored approach is known, would introduce new uncertainties into fiscal policy and degrade the value of present analysis now done by Capitol Hill staff experts.

Republican advocates argue it would make fiscal analysis better reflect what they call economic realities. Dynamic scoring, as they envision it, would assumes that lower tax rates boost growth, offsetting some lost revenue.

The "scoring" of tax and budget bills matters because it can influence whether a bill becomes law. Lawmakers shy from measures that would balloon the deficit. So any math that makes scores look less worrisome has political appeal.

House Republicans were scheduled to meet on Monday to consider rules for the new Congress that convenes in January. One proposed rule, quietly unveiled two days before Christmas, is to require more dynamic scoring.

The top Democrat on the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee has been sharply critical of this approach.

"In the guise of dynamic scoring, Republicans are trying to rig the system in ways that can be very destructive," said Michigan Democrat Sander Levin in a recent statement.

"The proposed change would undermine fiscal responsibility and further embrace Republican trickle-down economics," he said.

At the moment, when a U.S. lawmaker wants to raise or lower a tax or change the budget, the proposal has to be "scored" by the non-partisan staff experts of Congress's Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) or the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

JCT and CBO scores estimate how much a proposal will raise or lower projected government revenues and spending, a crucial factor when considering such measures because of the large federal budget deficit.

Scores currently are based on projected alterations in behavior due to changes in tax law and the budget, but not on changes in the broad economy. For instance, standard JCT scores hold gross domestic product (GDP) constant. GDP measures the economy's total output.

Dynamic scoring, as Republicans urge, would include more projected macroeconomic impacts.

JCT is already doing some of this, under 2003 orders from Congress, in supplemental materials it issues, but it does not include the results of dynamic scoring in official scores. (Reporting by Kevin Drawbaugh; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Anyone else noticed that the budget projections are based by government behavior, which is (gasp!) what the federal budget is about?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-01-01 10:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I have already done the first on the feminist new years list.

I proudly support single mothers.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-01 10:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

On a side note:

They can't even get their years right...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 56 57 58