Is It Time To Remove Under God From The Pledge?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Hinamori
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-22 11:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Nada

*Sets fire to a house*

tbh I would think that it's their own conscience that keeps them from doing it, but then again most people tend to think that fear stems from their religion like you said Endoq.

*Turns to watch the house burn*

Dang that's bright...
 Sylph.Linkk
Server: Sylph
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2014-04-22 11:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
@ Tatsiki:

Don't bother with Linkk, he is just another person who thinks he is the smartest person in the world and he is absolute.

There will never be any reasoning with him, and he will continue to attempt to demean you at every interval.

Not at all. I am actually pretty humble. I don't think it terms of smart people but informed, uninformed and misinformed. Everyone has all 3. I do like poking fun and being mean from time to time to spice things up. This is a game wall and it is slow here at work today lol. You did make it all to easy but I do stand by my position. You don't like it and that's fine. Don't care either way.
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-22 11:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Refreshtwo said: »
Ragnarok.Tatsiki said: »
Bahamut.Refreshtwo said: »
Yes and it never of been there in the first place

Under god was added for christian patriotism and never been a part of the pledge.

Going take 10 more years to get it removed at this rate but the older people will die out rational thinking will continue to improve in United States.

You know it's hilarious when I see atheists call Christianity stupid, but they go out of their way to rename things like Easter Bunny (Now Spring Bunny) and they still celebrate Christmas.

If you're not a Christian, stfu, don't meddle in someone else's religion and make it a news story. Seriously -who- the -***- cares? You aren't a Christian, you have no business celebrating Easter yet you think it's ok to change the name of the Easter Bunny despite being against Christianity and the notion of what Easter represents. You're against Christianity, yet I see so many people (so many -atheists- in my area) are celebrating Christmas. IDC if it's 'holiday' season or not, when I am at work and it's the day of Christmas Eve, I am going to say "Merry Christmas" why? Because the day itself is Christmas, not 'holiday'

Don't go "rational thinking" when atheists are just as hypocritical as Christians when the atheists want to rename a christian holiday just so they can celebrate it.

I don't celebrate any holiday's and I'm sure you're just playing around in this topic considering it's very rare to see someone actually play the " atheists are trying to steal/remake my holiday card"

And yes the pledge actually helps improve loyalty United States I never really said it that was do to reasons not involving atheism.

Nah that wasn't directed at you, sorry about that. I went off on a tangent (I do that a lot sorry...) and that came into my head. Then I realized more about how true it can be sometimes...weird huh?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 11:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Even if you don't believe in God I'm sure that you can still recognize the benefit of people fearing repercussions for crimes and other crappy behavior they got away with and would never be caught for by the police. This can and does prevent a lot of crimes/douchebaggery regardless of which God/reigion you believe in. A lot of people have little to no moral compass and the fear of God can act as a substitute for some people who otherwise would have no remorse ever for anything.
Morals are usually taught from a theological standpoint.

Those who are not religious are taught morals through society, and some societies aren't exactly the best teacher of morals.

But what is moral in one society is not moral in another. For example, stealing in China from other countries is not only common, it is applauded. But stealing from anyone period is considered immoral to must cultures. Religions also teach people that stealing is immoral. So, an atheist family in China will probably not teach their children that stealing (items from outside China) is immoral.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 11:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Linkk said: »
@ Tatsiki:

Don't bother with Linkk, he is just another person who thinks he is the smartest person in the world and he is absolute.

There will never be any reasoning with him, and he will continue to attempt to demean you at every interval.

Not at all. I am actually pretty humble. I don't think it terms of smart people but informed, uninformed and misinformed. Everyone has all 3. I do like poking fun and being mean from time to time to spice things up. This is a game wall and it is slow here at work today lol. You did make it all to easy but I do stand by my position. You don't like it and that's fine. Don't care either way.
Or you made a mistake and opened up for everyone to see for just a short time when you didn't mean to.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-22 11:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not entirely sure how the pledge thing works as it doesn't exist here(only during fascism did as far as I know), but anyway: school should be laic, always.

Sueing though sure sounds like a lot of trouble to go through..but I guess things never change if people don't start taking action..
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-22 11:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if you don't believe in God I'm sure that you can still recognize the benefit of people fearing repercussions for crimes and other crappy behavior they got away with and would never be caught for by the police. This can and does prevent a lot of crimes/douchebaggery regardless of which God/reigion you believe in. A lot of people have little to no moral compass and the fear of God can act as a substitute for some people who otherwise would have no remorse ever for anything.

Those who are not religious are taught morals through society, and some societies aren't exactly the best teacher of morals.

But what is moral in one society is not moral in another. For example, stealing in China from other countries is not only common, it is applauded. But stealing from anyone period is considered immoral to must cultures. Religions also teach people that stealing is immoral. So, an atheist family in China will probably not teach their children that stealing (items from outside China) is immoral.
Well you are getting into the details of specific religions/Gods. I was speaking about the general fear of God.
All religions with their beliefs have their list of don'ts.
Any list of don'ts is better than no list at all.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-22 11:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you are getting into the details of specific religions/Gods. I was speaking about the general fear of God.
All religions with their beliefs have their list of don'ts.
Any list of don'ts is better than no list at all.

Don't throw pets off a roof.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-22 11:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys morals are not taught they're inherent to the individual. Ethics are taught through institutions such as religion, society or even a corporation.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-22 11:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I'm just being a peaist here but I only hate canned peas <.<

snow peas & snap peas are legit.
[+]
 Sylph.Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2014-04-22 11:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
How many levels of stupid you have to be? Is telling your kids not to smoke or running in a street brainwashing or protecting them? Is it that hard for you to comprehend "not to pledge allegiance to anything until you know and understand what they are actually doing." So to you, having them wait until they are well informed so they can make an informed choice is the same as brainwashing? lol I don't know if I should pity you thinking or laugh.
But if you consider pledging allegiance to a nation as brainwashing, then why not the refusal to pledge allegiance to a nation as brainwashing also?

Street goes both ways bub. What you consider brainwashing, somebody else can consider the opposite as brainwashing.

You completely missed my point, and I expect you to miss my point again because of your arrogance.

Ok it's official, I pity your thinking. Let me briefly explain why you’re thinking makes no sense. First having kids pledge allegiance without knowing what they are doing, no comparison, no opposing viewpoints, no historical context over and over again is what I call brainwashing. When they are old enough to comprehend what pledging allegiance means and all of the above plus more was covered in their education and they choose based on that, how can that possibly be considered brainwashing? It’s the opposite. Sorry, I can’t miss a point that you thought you were making when it was flawed from the start. “What you consider brainwashing, somebody else can consider the opposite as brainwashing” You made me cry a little bit with this line. I would ask you to explain this but I fear I may not mentally recover from it. Look up what the word brainwashing actually means, then try to picture someone defending doing the opposite can be called the same thing.

Please just....stop posting, I still do the pledge of allegiance, hell my whole school does the pledge of allegiance. It is not brainwashing you idiot, if anything you're the one brainwashing your own child.

Put a sock in it and take the tin foil hat off, I mean what happens if your child starts to rebel and starts to say the pledge? What will you do? Going to punish the child for making a choice? If so you're brainwashing them yourself and you are a hypocrite.

I do it willingly, I've done it for years and have questioned the country many times. Just because you say the pledge does not mean you're a brainwashed buttmonkey.

Stop posting...seriously....

Hmm. Pathetic reading comprehension go.

Oh no I read that part actually, but is it still ok to go "Don't say the pledge because I say so, you don't know anything enough yet so I'm making the choice for you"

How is that any different?

Then again, what's the point of this debate?

This is what happens when you come to a party late. I made the point earlier, if you tell your child not to smoke or not to run across a street, is that brainwashing or protecting them until they are old enough to make that choice for themselves? See, boatload of stupid. Well maybe not stupid but simple. Good day princess.

No actually telling them not to run across a street or smoke is protecting them from somethign that is harmful. Saying the pledge of allegiance isn't harmful, that's being 1.) Overprotective. 2.) Brainwashing. 3.) Hypocritical.

Good day peaches.

You don't think it is harmful, I do for some reasons I have stated already. I don't care if you agree or not but my kids will choose because they really want to or not for valid provable reasons. Whatever they pick, they will know more about this country then you do.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-22 11:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cut the quote train a bit, don't have to keep all of the posts in it x_x
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-22 11:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Morals are things found floating in sewer outlet pipes. Ethics are based on serious thought and deliberation. The inherent value of the latter over the former hardly needs mentioned.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 11:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Guys morals are not taught they're inherent to the individual. Ethics are taught through institutions such as religion, society or even a corporation.
I believe you got that backwards.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-22 11:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
How many levels of stupid you have to be? Is telling your kids not to smoke or running in a street brainwashing or protecting them? Is it that hard for you to comprehend "not to pledge allegiance to anything until you know and understand what they are actually doing." So to you, having them wait until they are well informed so they can make an informed choice is the same as brainwashing? lol I don't know if I should pity you thinking or laugh.
But if you consider pledging allegiance to a nation as brainwashing, then why not the refusal to pledge allegiance to a nation as brainwashing also?

Street goes both ways bub. What you consider brainwashing, somebody else can consider the opposite as brainwashing.

You completely missed my point, and I expect you to miss my point again because of your arrogance.

Ok it's official, I pity your thinking. Let me briefly explain why you’re thinking makes no sense. First having kids pledge allegiance without knowing what they are doing, no comparison, no opposing viewpoints, no historical context over and over again is what I call brainwashing. When they are old enough to comprehend what pledging allegiance means and all of the above plus more was covered in their education and they choose based on that, how can that possibly be considered brainwashing? It’s the opposite. Sorry, I can’t miss a point that you thought you were making when it was flawed from the start. “What you consider brainwashing, somebody else can consider the opposite as brainwashing” You made me cry a little bit with this line. I would ask you to explain this but I fear I may not mentally recover from it. Look up what the word brainwashing actually means, then try to picture someone defending doing the opposite can be called the same thing.

Please just....stop posting, I still do the pledge of allegiance, hell my whole school does the pledge of allegiance. It is not brainwashing you idiot, if anything you're the one brainwashing your own child.

Put a sock in it and take the tin foil hat off, I mean what happens if your child starts to rebel and starts to say the pledge? What will you do? Going to punish the child for making a choice? If so you're brainwashing them yourself and you are a hypocrite.

I do it willingly, I've done it for years and have questioned the country many times. Just because you say the pledge does not mean you're a brainwashed buttmonkey.

Oh no I read that part actually, but is it still ok to go "Don't say the pledge because I say so, you don't know anything enough yet so I'm making the choice for you"

This is what happens when you come to a party late. I made the point earlier, if you tell your child not to smoke or not to run across a street, is that brainwashing or protecting them until they are old enough to make that choice for themselves? See, boatload of stupid. Well maybe not stupid but simple. Good day princess.

No actually telling them not to run across a street or smoke is protecting them from somethign that is harmful. Saying the pledge of allegiance isn't harmful, that's being 1.) Overprotective. 2.) Brainwashing. 3.) Hypocritical.

Good day peaches.

You don't think it is harmful, I do for some reasons I have stated already. I don't care if you agree or not but my kids will choose because they really want to or not for valid provable reasons. Whatever they pick, they will know more about this country then you do.

ftfy
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-22 11:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget said: »
I don't like peas and broccoli.

BRB, going to court to have them BANNED so my kids don't have to eat them.

I'll make you a deal.

I'll eat my peas and broccoli at home if you keep your indoctrination oath at yours. Fair enough right?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 11:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Good day peaches.

ftfy
What did you fix?
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-22 12:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Technically as a Christian I am not allowed to pledge any allegiances to anyone unless they are under God (anything else would be above God and not ok)
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-04-22 12:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Good day peaches.

ftfy
What did you fix?
No idea
 Sylph.Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2014-04-22 12:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Tatsiki:

Or you made a mistake and opened up for everyone to see for just a short time when you didn't mean to.

Making mistakes is part of being human. It is looked at as something negative, I don't think so. It's a learning process. I made my fair share of mistakes that I learned from but I assure you none was made with you as much as you would like to assume so with your simple thinking lol
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-22 12:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

tbh I highly doubt that. If you're going to tell them "No don't say it" they'll think something is wrong about it and they won't do it even when they are adults. As a parent you should let them do it -now- and if they find out ON THEIR OWN that they don't want to, then that is their choice.

Don't tell me I don't know anything about my country, I know more than what you assume I know.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-22 12:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Technically as a Christian I am not allowed to pledge any allegiances to anyone unless they are under God (anything else would be above God and not ok)

That's your right, insomuch that it does not violate the rights of someone else.

Take this for what it is, hyperbole, but I have to ask: If the Church ordered you to purge all "Heathens", would you? A heathen being anyone not belonging to your sect.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-22 12:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
If the Church ordered you to purge all "Heathens", would you? A heathen being anyone not belonging to your sect.

EXODUS!!!! Some people really hate when you point out the killing in the name of god scriptures.
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-22 12:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

To be frank Zicdeh, anyone who is willing to kill another person for different ideas is sick in the head as is and doesn't hold the human life to any value if they aren't the same as the killer.

It's the reason why the middle east is so *** up.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-22 12:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Is there something wrong with encouraging patriotism?

yep!

nationalism has led to many terrible things.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-22 12:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I would agree with the concept of that it could mean a natural god, and specifically any one god, which the "god" of nature is referenced several times in our history and not just due to the Cold War propaganda except for the fact that now everyone (religions included) have a belief in a god.

I'd say it would be fine to just change the word to "nature" but I'm sure some people would be offended by that, and not just the crazy christians who think this nation belongs to them and that the constitution was divinely inspired.

Basically: it should never have been added in the first place, and our old national motto was better.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-22 12:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

All three monotheisms encourage the believer to kill enemies of the faith to both the pleasure of God and physical reward. If you choose to opt out of those paragraphs I thank you for using your better judgement.

Blind patriotism is no different than blind faith. Your country is not a monolith and it can do both good and bad things because countries are led by people. If you support your country then you should be critical of it rather than blindly worship it. Think for yourself as nothing good comes of idolatry.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-22 12:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically as a Christian I am not allowed to pledge any allegiances to anyone unless they are under God (anything else would be above God and not ok).

It isn't pledging allegiance to anyone it's pledging allegiance to the nation, which is perfectly acceptable even under your sect.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. ftw!
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-22 12:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
If the Church ordered you to purge all "Heathens", would you? A heathen being anyone not belonging to your sect.

EXODUS!!!! Some people really hate when you point out the killing in the name of god scriptures.

I still think Religion is more about group solidarity than morality. Nothing speaks more volumes to our primate nature than that need, and the willingness to blindly follow leaders.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12