Is It Time To Remove Under God From The Pledge?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-23 17:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
well definitions of indoctrination aside, seeing as how we've uniformly agreed that it's effectiveness is next to nil, wtf are we even arguing again?

just for the sake of following along, mind you.
I'd say it's working pretty well
I wouldn't say it is working "pretty well" on the basis of this thread, but posters on the internet on a video game forum tend to be a bit more anti-authoritarian than people in the street.

On the other hand, pretty much everyone who gets asked about this issue, which ought to be somewhere between irrelevant and non-existent, starts to get nervy and irritated fnord. That's rather telling of the difference between teaching and indoctrination fnord, to say nothing of the effectiveness of the latter. People wouldn't get antsy fnord unless a part of their mind started to fear fnord and that fear is almost certainly oriented towards either authoritarian backlash or social fnord ostracization.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lunk
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Lunk 2014-04-23 17:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

NO, IF U DONT LIKE IT GTFO OUT OF THE COUNTRY! i dont even live there and it makes me mad when foriegns wanna make it like their ***country. there is a reason u came to the country, leave it the *** alone stfu or gtfo
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 17:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Is this your way to imply, like your husband did, that I'm indoctrinated?

You also still haven't addressed the evils of this indoctrination other than to say that people get annoyed if you question them about the pledge lol... Nor have you even made a convincing point that it is indoctrination at all.

I think Mil point blank said you were indoctrinated as are all adults who never question something.

I tried asking you questions an having that dialogue but you are more interested in telling me what I've said rather than even thinking beyond "No, I'm not nor was I ever indoctrinated in saying the pledge!"
Because you've addressed nothing. You also make false assumptions (like saying I'm annoyed by your post even though that one was in response to another post, that I'm indoctrinated among other things) based on what I can only assume is some sort of bias. Just because someone does not ask a teacher does not mean they've never questioned their own stance on something which I addressed and you also ignored.

You also keep changing your definition of indoctrination to which its at now is hey if you didn't ask someone about something you're indoctrinated.

You've addressed absolutely nothing other than the fact that you believe it to be indoctrination. You've never even said why you think its bad or explained other than kids are told to say it at a young age so indoctrination. You have literally put forth 0 argument and instead of boldly insulting me like the hubby you do it in a round about way then blame me lol.

Try addressing one of the many things I've actually brought up and then maybe we can have a conversation unstead of you asking me specific questions... me answering you ignoring pretty much everything else then you telling me what I am.

Edit: On a personal level I could care less if they keep saying it, take the god out or make it so they can't say it in schools at all...

I don't just accept garbage stances that are backed up with nothing more than a weak quote from wiki and "This is the truth and if you don't believe it then you're indoctrinated!"

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-23 17:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Josiahkf said: »
Both your country and America is mostly populated by foreigners coming in and occupying the land from the original owners, the Native North Americans.
I'm torn between commenting on the Native American belief that ownership of the land is impossible and the European philosophy that ownership is theft (and, therefore, vice-versa).

Decisions, decisions.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 17:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Josiahkf said: »
Carbuncle.Lunk said: »
NO, IF U DONT LIKE IT GTFO OUT OF THE COUNTRY! i dont even live there and it makes me mad when foriegns wanna make it like their ***country. there is a reason u came to the country, leave it the *** alone stfu or gtfo
Both your country and America is mostly populated by foreigners coming in and occupying the land from the original owners, the Native North Americans.

Ironic to be screaming, "stop trying to change my country"
If you're born in that country you're not a foreigner. You're parents or grandparents or some distant relative might have been...
By Jetackuu 2014-04-23 17:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention that this has nothing to do with foreigners, well what today is considered to be them.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-23 19:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Because you've addressed nothing. You also make false assumptions (like saying I'm annoyed by your post even though that one was in response to another post, that I'm indoctrinated among other things) based on what I can only assume is some sort of bias. Just because someone does not ask a teacher does not mean they've never questioned their own stance on something which I addressed and you also ignored.

You also keep changing your definition of indoctrination to which its at now is hey if you didn't ask someone about something you're indoctrinated.

You've addressed absolutely nothing other than the fact that you believe it to be indoctrination. You've never even said why you think its bad or explained other than kids are told to say it at a young age so indoctrination. You have literally put forth 0 argument and instead of boldly insulting me like the hubby you do it in a round about way then blame me lol.

Try addressing one of the many things I've actually brought up and then maybe we can have a conversation unstead of you asking me specific questions... me answering you ignoring pretty much everything else then you telling me what I am.

Edit: On a personal level I could care less if they keep saying it, take the god out or make it so they can't say it in schools at all...

I don't just accept garbage stances that are backed up with nothing more than a weak quote from wiki and "This is the truth and if you don't believe it then you're indoctrinated!"

News flash: Milamber and I are different people no matter how many times you refer to him as my husband, we are not joined at the hip. If you have such a problem with what he said, take it up with him.

You've taken everything I've said and turned it into how I think the pledge is evil (something I've never said) and how I'm telling you, you are indocterated (something I finally did because you sound it at this point and everyone has been at some point).

Multiple people on this thread have admitted the pledge is indoctrination. Including yourself
It's existance came into being to reignite some form of patriotism.

I haven't given a defination of indoctrination but if we are lumping Mil and me together again
Quote:
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine).[1] It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.[2] As such the term may be used pejoratively, often in the context of education, political opinions, theology or religious dogma. The term is closely linked to socialization; in common discourse, indoctrination is often associated with negative connotations, while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning

I gave my opinion on indoctrination of children
Quote:
Anything that is repeated on a daily basis without explaniation, ever, is a problem to me especially when it starts young enough that children never question it because they've just always done it.
Since I wasn't clear: this discourages critical thinking by ingraining something rather than explaining it. To me, there are ideas that need to be ingrained but they should always be explained when the child is old enough and questions are encouraged.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-23 20:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lunk said: »

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-23 20:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Teacher: Why aren't you standing for the pledge?

Student: Well, I'm Canadian so.....
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-24 01:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

There has been controversy about the pledge since the mandatory requirement in schools. The first court case:
http://reason.com/archives/2010/12/16/face-the-flag
Quote:
In 1919, 27 years after Bellamy’s Pledge made its debut in 1892, Washington became the first state to pass a law requiring schools to make a weekly recitation of it a mandatory part of their curriculum, thus adding an explicitly coercive element that intensified its paradoxical nature. The Jehovah’s Witnesses, who believed that government was a Satanic tool and the Pledge a salute to the Devil, were amongst the first to publicly recognize the contradiction inherent in a compulsory oath lauding individual liberty. In 1935, the group “embarked on a focused campaign against the Pledge,” with hundreds of Jehovah’s Witnesses schoolchildren choosing expulsion over participation in the Pledge. A lawsuit ensued, and in 1938, a federal judge ruled in their favor, noting that the “totalitarian idea of forcing all citizens into one common mold of thinking” was not necessary to ensure the country’s safety and also curtailed the freedom of those who opposed it on the basis of “sincere religious convictions.”

In 1940, however, the Supreme Court agreed to hear an appeal of the case, and ultimately reversed the lower court’s original ruling by an 8 to 1 margin. National unity, it concluded, trumped individual liberty. In the wake of this decision, unified Americans tarred and feathered a Jehovah’s Witness in Wyoming, castrated another in Nebraska, and publicly beat others in Texas and Illinois as police and city officials watched.

Three years later, with the U.S. in the midst of war, the Supreme Court reversed its decision. Since then, recitation of the Pledge has not been mandatory, at least from the perspective of the highest court of the land. On occasion, though, there’s an outlier: In October 2010, a judge in Mississippi threw an attorney in jail for five hours after the attorney refused to recite the Pledge as directed.

There was brutality documented in the 40's towards Jeovah Witnesses. I'm sure there are still fist fights occuring or shaming for not conforming in public (especially after 9/11) but nothing like what happened in the 40's, as far as I know.
Another source Religious Tolerance, Education and the Curriculum

Conflicts in recent years over the pledge, to say or not say it, sitting or standing, etc:
What I find interesting is everyone has different experiences with regards how the PoA and SSB were handled in their schools on this forum and in the articles. In one article the school district only says the PoA once a week.

edit:
Lye said: »
Teacher: Why aren't you standing for the pledge?

Student: Well, I'm Canadian so.....
We had lots of internationals at my HS and they were still told to stand, some teachers told them to recite the pledge. But it seems there was a court case decades ago that doesn't require standing but my HS did not seem to respect that case.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12