Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-12 12:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Side note, I've been there. I was there in 1995 for the 50th anniversary. That is the Genbaku-Dome. This was a school and was literally no more than 200 feet from the epicenter of the blast. The position of the camera taking the shot is about 50 feet if not directly on the epicenter of the blast.
Now, don't get this the wrong way, but you are incorrect.

The building was the town hall that was used as a target for the bombers when they released the bomb. It exploded directly above the building, and is named the Atomic Tower.

I was there on March of 2009, while I lived in Japan. I have visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park while I was there and did the usual tourist things.

Info on the Atomic Tower. It was never a school.

Other than that, you are mostly correct.

You're right about it not being a school, so my mistake there. But you are incorrect about the epicenter of the blast. That was a T-Bridge adjacent to it.

Said bridge can be seen on the left side of this photo:

Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-04-12 12:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Seems to me LGBT are having Obama buyer's remorse.
It "seems" to you? I've been disillusioned with him on the *** front for years. I may preach forgiveness for having stupid opinions regarding marriage, but no part of that requires or even recommends forgetting.

LGBT rights are following a similar path that civil rights for African-Americans did, I think. It's going to be a process. That doesn't mean you should forget politicians like Obama having wrong (but politically expedient) positions on LGBT rights, but you should acknowledge the fact that he has taken some good steps. I doubt Hillary will take that next step in 2016, which is federally-mandating equal rights regardless of sexual orientation, including marriage. That's still risky for some independents, and parts of the Democratic base are not going to support it either.

Hell, if it's any consolation, 60 years after the Brown v Board of Education ruling, and federal school desegregation at gunpoint, you still have a party in the United States using racism to whip up support from their base. You've got a long fight ahead of you.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-12 12:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My apologizes, I didn't mean to type "directly" but "around"

If I remember correctly, it was intended to explode on the bridge to the right of your picture, but the bomber missed and got it towards the bridge on the left of your picture.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-12 12:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It was the bridge on the left. The Aioi bridge was the target because the T shape of the bridge was easily recognizable in the air.

On a side note: What did you think of all the biological remains in the formaldehyde jars on the second floor, the life sized diorama of the children coming out of the rubble and the shadow of the person permanently flashed onto the slab of concrete?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-12 12:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
On a side note: What did you think of all the biological remains in the formaldehyde jars on the second floor, the life sized diorama of the children coming out of the rubble and the shadow of the person permanently flashed onto the slab of concrete?
I don't think I will ever get those visions out of my head after seeing them.

What's worse was, since I was with a class at the time, we had a guest speaker, one of the survivors of the bombing. She was only 5 and lost everything to it. She was luckily on the other side of the mountains when it hit, but she still has scarring on the left side of her body because the radiation was that potent when it hit.

I still have nightmares every now and then from that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-12 12:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they sort of stick with you for life. Truly one of the things that is once seen, can never be unseen.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-12 12:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I don't remember him having a particularly pro-LGBT stance, but I he was aggravatingly flaced in the DOMA and Don't-ask-don't-tell toss-ups. But I doubt anyone in the LGBT community believes that they'd have made any more progress with Romney in office.

He had a very pro-gay stance when he came to West Hollywood to pocket the money of the affluent gays in the entertainment industry. Hillary charged 50 a ticket Obama 250 lol
By angrykitty 2014-04-12 12:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

giant douche vs. turd sandwich.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-12 13:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

angrykitty said: »
Name says it all...
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-14 12:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The level of political discourse in this thread is too high.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-16 10:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
.... Rand Paul ....
A great article on why Rand will not be the GOP nominee:

Conservatives Lash Out At Rand Paul Over Foreign Policy

Quote:
In a Monday op-ed, Wall Street Journal columnist Bret Stephens offers the tongue-in-cheek suggestion that Paul is the perfect candidate for the GOP in 2016 -- "because maybe what the GOP needs is another humbling landslide defeat."

Stephens argues that Paul's foreign policy views and his former aide's pro-Confederate ties are more problematic than potential 2016 rival Jeb Bush's stance on immigration and education or Chris Christie's role in the Bridgegate scandal.

"When moderation on a subject like immigration is ideologically disqualifying, but bark-at-the-moon lunacy about Halliburton is not, then the party has worse problems than merely its choice of nominee,"
By Altimaomega 2014-04-16 14:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
.... Rand Paul ....
A great article on why Rand will not be the GOP nominee:

Conservatives Lash Out At Rand Paul Over Foreign Policy

Quote:
In a Monday op-ed, Wall Street Journal columnist Bret Stephens offers the tongue-in-cheek suggestion that Paul is the perfect candidate for the GOP in 2016 -- "because maybe what the GOP needs is another humbling landslide defeat."

Stephens argues that Paul's foreign policy views and his former aide's pro-Confederate ties are more problematic than potential 2016 rival Jeb Bush's stance on immigration and education or Chris Christie's role in the Bridgegate scandal.

"When moderation on a subject like immigration is ideologically disqualifying, but bark-at-the-moon lunacy about Halliburton is not, then the party has worse problems than merely its choice of nominee,"

The Huffington Post is just the place I go to get my unbiased news. /sarcasm

Since its tax season, i'm feeling nostalgic for this quote from harry reid about Romney.

“He didn’t pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that’s true? Well, I’m not certain,” Reid told the Huffington Post in an interview.“

If anything this article shows that Rand is starting to make Democrats nervous.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-16 14:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Randy Rand won't even get past the primaries.

Better put your money on Chris Christie as Bridgegate will be in the rear-view mirror by the time election season gets around. If the Southern conservatives don't cannibalize him with charges of RINO before he can secure the nomination.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-16 15:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Randy Rand won't even get past the primaries.

Better put your money on Chris Christie as Bridgegate will be in the rear-view mirror by the time election season gets around. If the Southern conservatives don't cannibalize him with charges of RINO before he can secure the nomination.

Bridgegate was a joke, but I dunno what to think about Chistie even before that came up.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-16 15:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The lesser known and far less liked son of a many time failed primary candidate will not be a viable option for the RNC. I almost hope they run him, maybe another loss will put an end to this radical right shift the party has taken.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-16 15:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Christie has the personality of a guy who won't take *** up in Washington, has some appeal in New Jersey coming off an atrocious Democratic governor, has proven himself able to weather controversy and crisis (stronger than the storm ***), could have cross-appeal with the middle and has been preening himself for 2016. Guy seems like a jerk but he also seems like the most viable Republican in the running.

He's got more appeal than Mitt Romney and isn't so far in batshit territory (Rand Randy, Rubio, Jyndal, Santorum) that he immediately alienates himself from 'Muricans. I can see Christie giving Hillary a fair horserace if he's allowed to be himself and hug the middle hard.

Jeb Bush would probably be a better choice than Chris Christie with his compassionate conservatism, broad hispanic appeal and competence but between being Bush III, being criticized by his own and Americans wanting to run in the opposite direction from anything Bush he's probably DOA.

Everyone else atm is an exercise in getting rolled by Dems again. But feel free to run Rand and get destroyed by the DNC nominee.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-16 15:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hilary Clinton or another Bush?

That's it.

I'm moving to Canada.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-16 15:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Christie has the personality of a guy who won't take *** up in Washington, has some appeal in New Jersey coming off an atrocious Democratic governor, has proven himself able to weather controversy and crisis (stronger than the storm ***), could have cross-appeal with the middle and has been preening himself for 2016. Guy seems like a jerk but he also seems like the most viable Republican in the running.

He's got more appeal than Mitt Romney and isn't so far in batshit territory (Rand Randy, Rubio, Jyndal, Santorum) that he immediately alienates himself from 'Muricans. I can see Christie giving Hillary a fair horserace if he's allowed to be himself and hug the middle hard.

Jeb Bush would probably be a better choice than Chris Christie with his compassionate conservatism, broad hispanic appeal and competence but between being Bush III, being criticized by his own and Americans wanting to run in the opposite direction from anything Bush he's probably DOA.

Everyone else atm is an exercise in getting rolled by Dems again. But feel free to run Rand and get destroyed by the DNC nominee.

He's also fairly well liked on the left end of the middle for working WITH the other side on a few issues. Really, it's only the far right that won't see him as a candidate, which is a good sign, IMO.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-16 15:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly don't see any of them beating Hilary, but that's my opinion, and I don't even like the woman.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-16 15:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cristie/Rand or Rand/Christie

Bush is a horrible idea, anyone with a brain knows that.
Same should be said about hillary, but she is all the democrats have it seems..

Edit: Yea I get the jerk vipe from Cristie, dunno if its good jerk or bad jerk though lol
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-16 15:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is that the far right has had alot of power in shaping how candidates are presented in the last two cycles. Will this cycle repeat or will the moneyed donors finally push these paragons of insanity to the side because winning is better than being an ideological zealot?

McCain on paper looked like a viable candidate until he was transformed into the old man with Sarah Palin on his ticket and the last primary cycle included:

Herman Cain cribbing Pokemon lyrics and getting owned by a Libya question.
Rick the Holy *** Santorum dropping the n-word during a rally.
Rick the uhh I can't remember which gov't departments Perry.
Michelle the Banshee Bachmann.

Then we got Mitt Romney who could have beaten Obama had he been allowed to stay the course in the center and present himself a pro-business. good guy who would be a fair alternative to a dissapointing first term 'Bam. Then he too was forced to go hard right miring himself in womens issues and other *** that made him an open target for Dems.

The delusions and phony data coming out of the shitmills ultimately leading to an embarrassing defeat.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-16 15:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

“He didn’t pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that’s true? Well, I’m not certain,” Reid told the Huffington Post in an interview.“
Um, you don't prove that something is biased by actually writing what was said, verbatim, in an interview.

Now, if the title was:
Is Romney cheating on his taxes?
and this was the only evidence, then that would be evidence of bias (as well as stupidity and lack of journalistic standards/integrity)

The quote could just as easily be part of a segment:
Top democrat slanders presidential candidate!

Of course, that also is based on that quote being in context.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-16 15:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The Democrats have a head runner that instantly attracts many people without having to be buttered up to who she actually is.

The same cannot be said about the scrambling Republicans who have enough inner turmoil between their far-right loonies and the moderates who really have little say anymore. (The Republicans of 30 years ago)

AKA your Rinos.

I'd place Hilary in the middle of the left spectrum, but I'd have to analyze more of her policies to be honest, her history, which to be frank I'm rusty with.

Bush v3 should scare everyone in their right mind, or wrong.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-16 15:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Rand Paul as a VP to Christie seems like a ***idea. I know it gets fundies and the far-right who'd hate the ***out of Christie but there has to be a better choice there.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-16 15:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is that the far right has had alot of power in shaping how candidates are presented in the last two cycles. Will this cycle repeat or will the moneyed donors finally push these paragons of insanity to the side because winning is better than being an ideological zealot?

McCain on paper looked like a viable candidate until he was transformed into the old man with Sarah Palin on his ticket and the last primary cycle included:

Then we got Mitt Romney who could have beaten Obama had he been allowed to stay the course in the center and present himself a pro-business. good guy who would be a fair alternative to a dissapointing first term 'Bam. Then he too was forced to go hard right miring himself in womens issues and other *** that made him an open target for Dems.

The delusions and phony data coming out of the shitmills ultimately leading to an embarrassing defeat.
Not having my KB Toys is reason enough to not vote for Romney.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-16 15:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Um, you don't prove that something is biased by actually writing what was said, verbatim, in an interview.

Now, if the title was:
Is Romney cheating on his taxes?
and this was the only evidence, then that would be evidence of bias (as well as stupidity and lack of journalistic standards/integrity)

The quote could just as easily be part of a segment:
Top democrat slanders presidential candidate!

Of course, that also is based on that quote being in context.

You got me, it came from the Top democrat slanders presidential candidate article from Huffington post. (sarcasm)
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-16 15:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There was nothing phony about his self deportation immigration stance nor his pro Detroit bankruptcy ramblings. His own delusions killed his campaign.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-16 15:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

And yet that could been ignored for the larger case of Obama not being effective in term1, bogged down by partisan gridlock. When the average American was presented with a choice of more BAM or this new guy who seems halfway competent I think Obama could have been made that one term president.

Ultimately who gives a ***about saving the auto industry other than people directly linked to it? Self-deportation was red meat designed to further entice the far right and Romneycare could have been used as an argument that this dude wasn't too different than Obama.

Strategy killed the Reps last cycle in a loss that didn't need to happen. Obama was vulnerable as per Republican meddling and their long game turned into a loss where it should have been a win.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-16 15:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

America needs to be able to make its own cars, as much as GM is struggling right now in all things the ability to produce automobiles is important.
Self deportation gave Obama 85% of the Latino vote, there is the election. Immigration is still a huge hurdle for the GOP and they don't seem to want to help their candidates out by, I dunno, passing immigration reform and taking it off the table. How much more appealing would Bush 3 be if he didn't have his immigration stance hanging over him.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-16 15:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

While our auto industry and Detroit are symbolic to the power of the United States how many people were going to the polls to pull based on that issue alone? You know, short of union types.

The Economy and jobs were the two biggest topics before the GOP decided to drag in more social conservatism that ultimately derailed the message and ruined the Romney campaign. Immigration has large appeal with Hispanics but last cycle was about the economy and thanks to major *** ups Obama was able to roll the GOP.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11