Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 00:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Why do we keep explaining to the Republicans how to stop *** up?

I like conservatism in certain doses, but it doesn't presently exist. Nor does liberalism, really. We've got two psychotic parties that both managed to jump the political rails, but one wants to imprison or execute me for not being a WASP pumping out WASP kids, so I'm left vaguely cheering for the other ones.

Some people think it would be easier to teach Republicans tolerance than Democrats math and morality
Democrats know math, they use it to defend their positions all the time. It's easy to lie with numbers, which I'd presume you know, being an nefarious bad-guy and whatnot. I think you mean "fiscal planning," but, even then, which party's Presidents have consistently improved the budget and deficit problems during their terms of the past 50 or so years?

Morality I'll debate since I've not seen either side adhere well to it, but I consider morality to be akin to what dogs leave in coiled piles on the devil strip. Ethics is what matters and the only political party that seems to pay any lip service to that are the Libertarians.

As for tolerance, that's really not the problem of the Republican party. It's the problem of the Religious Right. Oust them and tolerance returns pretty readily, unless you're a Democrat and inexplicably describe "tolerance" as "throwing lots of money pointlessly at problems."

Jesus said that it was harder for a rich man to get into heaven than for a camel to pass through the Eye of the Needle. People habitually read that metaphorically, but the Eye of the Needle was actually a rather cramped passage through a wall in Jerusalem. Most people had to stoop to get through it and a camel would have to be dragged kicking and screaming on its belly (and woe betide the idiot trying to do it). That camel, I feel, is an apt description of how our two parties and the system that supports them need to be treated.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-04-17 08:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
As for tolerance, that's really not the problem of the Republican party. It's the problem of the Religious Right. Oust them and tolerance returns pretty readily,

No, we need their votes and money.

and two, that wouldn't make them go away. we share the common interest in limiting the impact of government in our daily lives.

Both major political parties are made up of groups that don't agree with each other on everything. If you start splitting hairs you end up with libertarians and the green party. Which are fun and all, but not particularly powerful or persuasive.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-18 16:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it looks like Bush isn't going to get the nod either.

Why Jeb Bush's Greatest Political Achievement Could Sink a White House Run

Conservative activists may hate Common Core math and English standards, but the former Florida governor remains an unrepentant backer. - Mother Jones (consistently and unrepentantly liberal.)

Quote:
.... Phyllis Schlafly, the octogenarian den mother of the religious right, was explaining why attendees should be afraid of a set of national educational standards, little noticed by the national political press, called Common Core. The standards are arguably Bush's biggest political legacy. They are also the source of a rising tide of activism on the political right....
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 16:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I think a lot of us should probably be against common core, not just one political side or the other.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11