First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-11 18:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Murder to me is something personal. Not protecting your country or another.
Same here.

I'm just interested in what Jadi thinks about the above hypothetical.

Figures I would page....

I claim this page for justifiable murder....aka...Conquering!!!

History only rewards the winners!
By fonewear 2014-04-11 18:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with if you are going to war give them hell early and make them surrender. Overwhelm your enemy not drag it out.

Why bombing Japan in retrospect was a good idea.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-11 18:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with if you are going to war give them hell early and make them surrender. Overwhelm your enemy not drag it out.

In the case of the nukes on Japan, it saved more lives in the long run, instead of a drug out land invasion.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-11 18:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

In the case of the nukes on Japan, it saved more lives in the long run, instead of a drug out land invasion.

There seems to be some debate as to whether the second bomb was necessary, but regardless a land war would have been the worst-case scenario.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-11 18:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

There seems to be some debate as to whether the second bomb was necessary, but regardless a land war would have been the worst-case scenario.
As long as people don't start going off about how we didn't need to drop either again...

Without going back and looking up the limeline and JP's position during the timeline, I don't want to get into that bit, but hey.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-11 18:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Even as someone who abhors the use of a WMD against a civilian population (though I also find it offensive to treat soldiers and civilians differently as soldiers are ((usually)) not in their profession for the sake of bloodlust and mayhem), I think the debate about the second bomb is fruitless. Given the alternative, an excessively decisive strike was the better course of action, which was the whole point in dropping either bomb.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-11 18:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as people don't start going off about how we didn't need to drop either again...

Without going back and looking up the limeline and JP's position during the timeline, I don't want to get into that bit, but hey.

Again, it's all debatable, but it's easy to ridicule the actions of people through the lens of history. I can't pretend to know what it was like to have to make that call given the limited information that was available at the time.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-11 18:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the information really wasn't that limited, Truman knew the stakes and made the call. It was either drop the bomb, or invade Japan. Projections had casualties for the Allies at 1 million, and the Japanese culture wouldn't exist anymore. Truman himself said the decision to invade Korea was much, much harder than dropping the bomb.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-11 18:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish he would have nuked NK at the time.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-11 18:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, so did MacArthur, and he got fired for it. Also the right call.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-11 19:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Yeah, so did MacArthur, and he got fired for it. Also the right call.
indeed.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-11 19:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Reasoned debate and an end result of consensus, if not outright agreement... this won't last long.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-11 22:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Its amazing we all agree nuking Japan was the best thing to do.

Can we all fire up skype's vid chat, and sing Kumbayah now?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-11 22:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-11 23:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I am glad to see us agreeing on something when normally we're at each others' throats, I do find it strange that what we happen to agree on involves nuclear weapons.

It's the peace symbol for a new generation!
By Jetackuu 2014-04-11 23:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pro nuclear, go figure.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-11 23:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pro nuclear power/energy, but I hope a nuclear weapon is never used again.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-11 23:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

With the size and accuracy of a modern bomb, nukes are only needed as a deterrent. We have been sending troops into war zones for the past two decades, when we should have just been bombing the hell outta them.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-12 00:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
With the size and accuracy of a modern bomb, nukes are only needed as a deterrent. We have been sending troops into war zones for the past two decades, when we should have just been bombing the hell outta them.

I tend to agree, what is the point of having the most advanced tactical weapon suite on Earth if you still send in bodies for the enemy to shoot at? Especially considering that they will use the civilians we're trying to avoid hurting as human shields for guerrilla tactics.

We have drastically increased our use of drone aircraft, but IF we're to be the supreme military power, we've got to stop trying to hammer a nail with a care package and sternly written e-mails.

Not saying I agree with glassing the next country that pitches a fit, but you can't have it both ways.
By Enuyasha 2014-04-12 01:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

I tend to agree, what is the point of having the most advanced tactical weapon suite on Earth if you still send in bodies for the enemy to shoot at? Especially considering that they will use the civilians we're trying to avoid hurting as human shields for guerrilla tactics.

We have drastically increased our use of drone aircraft, but IF we're to be the supreme military power, we've got to stop trying to hammer a nail with a care package and sternly written e-mails.

Not saying I agree with glassing the next country that pitches a fit, but you can't have it both ways.
but dont nukes make the areas they hit unusable for enormous amounts of time? Why bust their kneecaps and put a figurative horse head in their beds if you dont get to keep all the reward in the end :(
By Jetackuu 2014-04-12 01:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »

but dont nukes make the areas they hit unusable for enormous amounts of time? Why bust their kneecaps and put a figurative horse head in their beds if you dont get to keep all the reward in the end :(
no, not air burst:

Hiroshima:

Nagasaki:

Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-12 01:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cold War myth. After a nuclear explosion, radioactive levels should be down to zero or 1% within 24 hours. 7 hours would be safe to send some senior citizens out to check on things. Keep in mind, this is assuming we don't hit a nuclear reactor.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-12 01:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone's curious why, the half life of the isotopes present in nuclear weapons is incredibly short, whereas some of the ones used in nuclear power plants can last for years.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-12 09:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hillary Clinton's One-Night Stand at the Abbey

Gotta love the title of this article! lol. But yeah here are photos from that fundraiser that Hillary Clinton had at the Abbey.

Seems to me LGBT are having Obama buyer's remorse.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-12 11:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
It "seems" to you? I've been disillusioned with him on the *** front for years. I may preach forgiveness for having stupid opinions regarding marriage, but no part of that requires or even recommends forgetting.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-12 11:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
It "seems" to you? I've been disillusioned with him on the *** front for years. I may preach forgiveness for having stupid opinions regarding marriage, but no part of that requires or even recommends forgetting.

I don't remember him having a particularly pro-LGBT stance, but I he was aggravatingly flaced in the DOMA and Don't-ask-don't-tell toss-ups. But I doubt anyone in the LGBT community believes that they'd have made any more progress with Romney in office.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-12 11:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

He courted the *** community shamelessly. We were (and have been) a strong pillar of his election campaigns.

And, I agree, he's probably better than the alternative, but that's still like comparing getting kicked in the shins with getting kicked in the balls.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-12 11:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

no, not air burst:

Hiroshima:

Side note, I've been there. I was there in 1995 for the 50th anniversary. That is the Genbaku-Dome. This was a school and was literally no more than 200 feet from the epicenter of the blast. The position of the camera taking the shot is about 50 feet if not directly on the epicenter of the blast.

Edit: Though some people might find the remains of the structure still standing impressive keep in mind that there were wings on both sides of the dome that were "disintegrated"

the original structure:

reverse angle to better depict the destruction:
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-12 11:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
He courted the *** community shamelessly. We were (and have been) a strong pillar of his election campaigns.

And, I agree, he's probably better than the alternative, but that's still like comparing getting kicked in the shins with getting kicked in the balls.

Politicians court groups of voters shamelessly all the time. I remember Huckaby giving stump speeches about cutting the fat in government spending then giving a stump speech the next day to groups of farmers about how the government should be helping them make ends meet.

In that sense, I wouldn't say that he was particularly pro-budget cuts or pro-farmer, if that makes any sense.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-12 12:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Side note, I've been there. I was there in 1995 for the 50th anniversary. That is the Genbaku-Dome. This was a school and was literally no more than 200 feet from the epicenter of the blast. The position of the camera taking the shot is about 50 feet if not directly on the epicenter of the blast.
Now, don't get this the wrong way, but you are incorrect.

The building was the town hall that was used as a target for the bombers when they released the bomb. It exploded directly above the building, and is named the Atomic Tower.

I was there on March of 2009, while I lived in Japan. I have visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park while I was there and did the usual tourist things.

Info on the Atomic Tower. It was never a school.

Other than that, you are mostly correct.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11