Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 44 45 46 ... 129 130 131
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-03 13:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's still recommended, and it's really not that complex a process to do yourself if your income is that low.

The gov: File your taxes, even if you aren't paying or getting anything it's good for record keeping.

These folk: No, why bother if we aren't getting anything.

The gov: We're going to use our tax records to give out this money. If you didn't file yet, you have to file now to get it.

These folk:
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-03 13:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
What other reason could there be that people are dying in massive numbers compared to the US and UK with far far lower death numbers, Italy is not some 3rd world nation.
I think I have an answer to your question. When Italians greet, we do so with kisses. When we have discussions, we are loud and emphatic and flail our arms all over the place. We do a very good job of spreading diseases. So if viral load is a variable when it comes to how serious each case turns out (and it seems this is the case) then Italians are making sure to maximize the viral load to each person they spread it to.
 Asura.Frod
Server: Asura
By Asura.Frod 2020-04-03 13:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

orangemanbad said: »

I heard Frod funded his Nirvana with government subsidies !

Better than underpaid chinese labor.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-03 13:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If you go to the IRS website right now and fill in all zero's/no's, guess what it says?

Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-03 13:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you propose tracking all these people that don't file taxes to get them their stimulus, while preventing situations where folk invent relatives or similar to cheat the government?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »
*** lol if you think food stamps, unemployment and things like ubi are abused.
Food stamp fraud is rampant, rampant enough that the federal government has been combating it for years.

Unemployment Fraud is rampant, costing the government $3.3 billion in 2013.

Universal Basic Income is on itself an encouragement for people not to contribute or work. I mean, why bother if you are going to be paid for doing nothing anyway? I can't post any data on UBI fraud since, well, UBI doesn't exist, but at least people have stated that it is very prone to fraud and abuse. And please note, this source comes from The New Yorker, who is known for their liberal biases.

I bet you hate it when the dirty poors buy anything more than ramen and grade D chicken gizzards with their wic card.
Wow, such leaps and bounds your assumptions had made.

Dude, i went to my local public school and my county community college. Neither of which are funded by the freemarket.
Taxpayers funded your public school, while you (partially, I'm assuming) funded your community college. Both you and the taxpayers in your local area benefited from a free-market system that allows products and services to be created/traded based on demand of such products/services. I can't believe I have to explain to you the basic economic principles that you should have learned in middle school.

So, either you learned nothing, or your schools had drastically failed you as much as Boston University has failed their economic majors, going by the most famous economics major they have.

Betsy devos and her freemarket ideas of voucher systems for public/private schools have basically gutted already underfunded public school systems while allowing *** to grift like mad.
Proof please. Blanket incoherent statements does not make it true.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-03 13:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
How do you propose tracking all these people that don't file taxes to get them their stimulus, while preventing situations where folk invent relatives or similar to cheat the government?

They don't pay me to solve that problem. It's their problem they created with their own rules. They shouldn't get to just say *** you, thanks for playing.

(Maybe the census? that's more or less literally why it exists, and it happens to be the census year and month right now!)
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-03 13:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Draylo said: »
A lot of people getting money off the books, illegals or etc are not getting that check. Those are gonna be the people who need it the most too, shame on that stipulation. They need money too!
If you aren't submitting taxes, then you are essentially telling the government you make no money. So, if you file for these benefits and the government sees that you've been living on $0 for the last few years, then why would you need money now?

The money people are getting comes from taxpayers. If you chip in for the pizza, you get a slice. If not, you shouldn't be telling the people who did chip in to cut their slices smaller so you can get some too.

It's not that simple. If you had a bad luck streak in 2019 (made no money at all) but were looking. or just finished a degree, or hospitalized etc then you didn't file, but you still need help now. Because then was then and now is now. (and now is not September)

Then let's go one further. Random guy goes around cutting grass for money, not enough to get by but it helps. He obviously doesn't claim taxes on that. But now everyone is home cutting their own grass... is he just supposed to go *** himself? I guess he should get a real job instead, oh right, everything is closed.

It's not always black and white all the time. It would've been better to err on the side of everyone.
I agree that some exceptions can be made. But Draylo seemed to be talking about illegals and people who make a living off the books. Not the same as a new college grad. And as for people who cut some grass on the side, they will be stuck making less, 100%. It sucks, but that's just how things go.
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-04-03 13:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember Frod is the guy that logs on to yell stupid ***.

As opposed to you logging into FFXIAH and shitposting just to shitpost? Pretty hypocritical.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he was killed by the virus.

Dude are you TRYING to get banned on your sock too?
Trolling to high hell, talking crap on the mods and now hopes of others death.... classy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »

They don't pay me to solve that problem. It's their problem they created with their own rules. They shouldn't get to just say *** you, thanks for playing.
Great non-answer. You claim that no fraud exists but when presented with a question on how to stop fraud that exists, you punt the ball.

(Maybe the census? that's more or less literally why it exists, and it happens to be the census year and month right now!)
The Census is to determine how many Representatives the House gets per state, while also determines how funding is allocated for various social service programs (aka larger population states get more funding than lower population states).
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-03 13:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It sucks, but that's just how things go.

You know what? It doesn't have have to "be the way it is, because that's the way it's always been."
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what? It doesn't have have to "be the way it is, because that's the way it's always been."
I would like to hear reasoning why a person who mows the grass should earn the same as a lawyer or accountant does.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-04-03 13:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Unemployment system designed to fail in Florida is failing

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE — The staggering unemployment exploding on President Donald Trump’s watch would worry any incumbent running for reelection, but troubles in Florida are injecting an added dose of fear into a jittery GOP.

Already anxious about Trump’s chances in the nation’s biggest swing state, Republicans now are dealing with thousands of unemployed workers unable to navigate the Florida system to apply for help. And the blowback is directed straight at Trump’s top allies in the state, Gov. Ron DeSantis and Sen. Rick Scott.

Privately, Republicans admit that the $77.9 million system that is now failing Florida workers is doing exactly what Scott designed it to do — lower the state’s reported number of jobless claims after the great recession.

“It’s a sh-- sandwich, and it was designed that way by Scott,” said one DeSantis advisor. “It wasn’t about saving money. It was about making it harder for people to get benefits or keep benefits so that the unemployment numbers were low to give the governor something to brag about.”

Republican Party of Florida chairman Joe Gruters was more succinct: “$77 million? Someone should go to jail over that.”

With hundreds of thousands of Floridians out of work, the state’s overwhelmed system is making it nearly impossible for many people to even get in line for benefits.

After a record number of claims were reported Thursday, DeSantis said the state would resort to paper applications, build a mobile app to handle the flood of traffic and deploy hundreds, even thousands, of state workers to provide stopgap help.
Congress last week delivered relief in the form of a $2 trillion stimulus package that directs cash to the unemployed. But to get that money into the pockets of Floridians, the state will have to duct-tape the rickety web-based unemployment system to deliver it.

It’s a monumental task. The system has had problems from its very start in 2013, and was one reason state senators refused in 2015 to confirm Scott’s pick to run the agency that manages unemployment benefits.

The new online system was part of a series of changes designed to limit benefits. The ultimate goal — which it delivered on — was to lower unemployment taxes paid by Florida businesses. A 2011 analysis done by the Florida Legislature estimated that the changes pushed by Scott would save businesses more than $2.3 billion between 2011 and 2020.

Now, as thousands of people try to get help, the system crashes or denies them access. Nearly 400,000 people have managed to file claims in the last two and half weeks. It’s not known how many have tried and failed.

Most of those who do submit applications won’t qualify for aid, and the benefits that are paid out are among the most meager in the country — a maximum of $275 a week.

“This is horrible for people. I don’t want to minimize that,” one DeSantis adviser told POLITICO. “But if we have to look past the crisis, it’s bad for the president and it’s bad for the governor.”

“Everyone we talk to in that office when we ask them what happened tells us, ‘the system was designed to fail,’” the adviser said. “That’s not a problem when unemployment is 2.8 percent, but it’s a problem now. And no system we have can handle 25,000 people a day.”

Yikes! Paper applications for unemployment?? Only Florida.
By orangemanbad 2020-04-03 13:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Leosin said: »
Remember Frod is the guy that logs on to yell stupid ***.

As opposed to you logging into FFXIAH and shitposting just to shitpost? Pretty hypocritical.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he was killed by the virus.

Dude are you TRYING to get banned on your sock too?
Trolling to high hell, talking crap on the mods and now hopes of others death.... classy.

I'm waiting for the highly intellectual debate to begin. Let me know when it starts.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is why Trump wanted the Federal Government to deal with the unemployment benefits instead of passing it off to the states, like it stated in the 3rd phase bill.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-03 13:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

We're all in the same boat. Say you work full time and run something off the books on the side. Right now, you might be working from home, but the "on the side" thing dried up. You can't ask the government now to supplement that. You will make less now.

Also, if the government tells people to declare taxes for record-keeping purposes, and people decide not to because they don't make enough to pay taxes, then the people who didn't file their taxes made the decision to not file them. I've been filing since I turned 18 and started washing dishes to pay for school. Right now, you can just buy the tax software for a few dollars, plug in some numbers and be done with it. You can't decide you dont feel like doing something then get pissed when it comes back to bite you.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-03 13:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I would like to hear reasoning why a person who mows the grass should earn the same as a lawyer or accountant does.

I didn't pick the number either. Just if you say "all Americans" well it's disingenuous to not include the ones that actually need it. Then you add fine print that says you had to do something you previously weren't required to do, and say to bad should've done it anyway!

Right now, you can just buy the tax software for a few dollars, plug in some numbers and be done with it. You can't decide you dont feel like doing something then get pissed when it comes back to bite you.

No computer or no internet? get *** again I guess. Can't even say do it at the library cause they're closed too! Can't go to someone elses house either social distance!
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2020-04-03 13:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, i went to my local public school and my county community college. Neither of which are funded by the freemarket.
Taxpayers funded your public school, while you (partially, I'm assuming) funded your community college. Both you and the taxpayers in your local area benefited from a free-market system that allows products and services to be created/traded based on demand of such products/services. I can't believe I have to explain to you the basic economic principles that you should have learned in middle school.

So, either you learned nothing, or your schools had drastically failed you as much as Boston University has failed their economic majors, going by the most famous economics major they have.

Betsy devos and her freemarket ideas of voucher systems for public/private schools have basically gutted already underfunded public school systems while allowing *** to grift like mad.

Lmao nope, neither i nor my adoptive parents paid into my partial college education.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now, you can just buy the tax software for a few dollars, plug in some numbers and be done with it.
If you make less than (I think) $49k a year, you can get your taxes done for free at most places. There is even a program that IRS allows accounting students to do volunteer tax prep for people.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lmao nope, neither i nor my adoptive parents paid into my partial college education.
Wait, that's the only thing you had against my post? Because I guessed incorrectly that you paid for your own college?

So, you don't disagree with anything else with the post?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No computer or no internet? get *** again I guess. Can't even say do it at the library or DHS cause they're closed too! Can't go to someone elses house either social distance!
Honestly, if you make as little as your are implying in your hypothetical, then there is absolutely no reason for you to not do your own taxes. People who "need" to have somebody do their taxes for them are those who, you know, actually make some money. Even people who make as little as $50k/year may need somebody else to do their taxes because there are some deductions they are more than likely could use but don't know about (such as mortgages and state taxes).

Post offices are still open, go get the forms there.

Edit:

Quote:
I didn't pick the number either. Just if you say "all Americans" well it's disingenuous to not include the ones that actually need it. Then you add fine print that says you had to do something you previously weren't required to do, and say to bad should've done it anyway!

You misinterpret what I am saying. All I'm saying about filing your taxes even if you aren't "required" to do so is that it's best to do so just on the sole fact that you lock in the timeframe that IRS can audit you on that year.

IRS is only allowed by law to audit you 3 years after you have filed your taxes (meaning if you filed on March 15th, 2020 for your 2019 taxes, IRS has up to March 15th, 2023 to audit you for 2019 taxes). The only exception to this rule is if IRS had a legal reason to believe that you committed fraud, but that can only be proven in an audit that they have to open first.

If you never filed your 2016 taxes, IRS can, at any time, open an audit on your 2016 tax return, even in 2020.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-03 13:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting money promised in april doesn't help people when it's delivered in september.

Already did that song and dance on the last page.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-03 13:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting money promised in april doesn't help people when it's delivered in september.
You do realize why there is a large delay in mailing checks, right?

Or are you saying that it is acceptable for the federal government to make obvious errors and pay people multiple times (even though you will not benefit from it) for the sake of speed?
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-03 13:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Eiryl isn't entirely wrong, this leaves a lot of people who were low income, drug dealers, or illegals out in the cold. Whether they're undesirable or not, this country has the wealth to take care of everyone.

The problem is that there isn't a viable alternative for getting and verifying information. The census is entirely self-reporting. A middle ground may be helpful, such as a mail in form letter where you declare your SSN or TIN, address, etc. But, it's an avenue for fraud and would be very hard to later track.

This is not a simple problem, and it's easier for everyone to say 'no tax return, no money'. Filing a fraudulent tax return will give people much more pause than trying to steal a non-taxpayer relative or friend's stimulus check.

And, if we're being honest, a no income tax return doesn't even NEED a professional preparer. It's pretty basic paperwork and if you can set aside an hour or two and read the forms, most people are capable of doing it themselves. A preparer will help someone catch all their relevant deductions, but these people aren't likely to have any or they'd have already been filing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-03 13:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No computer or no internet? get *** again I guess. Can't even say do it at the library cause they're closed too! Can't go to someone elses house either social distance!
Is this really how decisions for a whole country need to be made? Look for the absolute rarest outlier, the rarest extreme situation, then base laws off that?
Tell people "You don't file taxes, you don't get money*" but you add a little * at the end of that statement, and at the bottom of the page you can have "*Some exceptions apply. Please call 1-800-987-6543 for more details."
But the libraries are closed now. And friends' homes are off-limits now. A month ago you could still file taxes. And the same for 2018 tax season. So if you didn't file because you didn't feel like it, that's on you.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-03 13:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You're just not reading, the post a couple up literally says you aren't required to file. Then the gov says by the way, now you DO need to file. after confirming you DON'T need to file. and now you can't file (without getting delayed until september, its on the last page)

And also; that hypothetical "call if you got screwed" doesn't exist, that's the problem. I would rather they give everyone the money they said they would give to "all americans" without the *qualifying* fine print.

They don't care.
By orangemanbad 2020-04-03 13:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now, you can just buy the tax software for a few dollars, plug in some numbers and be done with it. You can't decide you dont feel like doing something then get pissed when it comes back to bite you.

Sounds like you are talking about yourself.
By orangemanbad 2020-04-03 13:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry you can still be an *** on the internet the government can't stop you from doing that....yet !
First Page 2 3 ... 44 45 46 ... 129 130 131