Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-04 13:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Revelation said: »
Afania said: »
You use way more than 2~3 attack on 2.5s GCD though, and dragged the pace of the game unnecessary long.

I got to level 10 in like 1.5-2 hours... how much faster does the pace need to be?

20 min to lv 10, 1hr~1.5hr to dungeon level feels about right(if you rushed and skip the exploring/learning process I mean).
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2013-09-04 13:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

And here I was thinking getting there was half the fun.
[+]
 Asura.Revelation
Server: Asura
user: Oric
By Asura.Revelation 2013-09-04 13:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Asura.Revelation said: »
Afania said: »
You use way more than 2~3 attack on 2.5s GCD though, and dragged the pace of the game unnecessary long.
I got to level 10 in like 1.5-2 hours... how much faster does the pace need to be?
20 min to lv 10, 1hr~1.5hr to dungeon level feels about right.

Ok.. I'm out.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-09-04 13:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
And here I was thinking getting there was half the fun.
<insert sexual joke here>
[+]
By fonewear 2013-09-04 14:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going to end well...
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 14:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you the many glories of level one MMO combat. Unfortunately, SWTOR was unable to attend because I didn't want to download it just to make a 15s clip of level one combat and that game is terrible.

YouTube Video Placeholder

XIV: Approx. 10s
RIFT: Approx. 12s
GW2: Approx. 8s

Conclusion: Nothing of value was gained from this video. However they all look pretty much the same in terms of the flow of combat, but two of them are decidedly more fleshy and visceral. My finger was a little less tired when playing XIV, but that isn't saying very much.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-09-04 14:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
@Enuyasha:

Have you tried Back/Select?

I haven't tried myself but I see what he means and it may be reached through Select spam. Or maybe X, there must be a way though.

ill have to try after i get home...waiting for the game to come up so i can reserve my spot on PS3 D:
/as <t> works, i just used it
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2013-09-04 15:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

having stupid button issues the Log in button on the launcher doesnt want to work. I cant click and cant hit enter...although I can click on all the other links and the little lodestone banner
 Carbuncle.Joeywheeler
Server: Carbuncle
user: Novax
By Carbuncle.Joeywheeler 2013-09-04 15:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only one who thought getting to the first dungeon was pretty quick?
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-09-04 15:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Joeywheeler said: »
It was.

Edit: I mean the CSs and dialogue drag it out some but chances are if you think it took too long to get to the first dungeon you don't have the patience for either of those anyways.
 Fenrir.Genesi
user: Darcc
By Fenrir.Genesi 2013-09-04 15:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read through the last 3 pages that are on going about this whole GCD argument and I couldn't find what games are being compared to XIV. If someone could fill me in, I'd like to deposit my 2 cents in to the matter. After all, ability use isn't free and there are other factors that must be assessed to make a full argument/comparison. For example, just looking at that video that Prothescar posted, GW2 has a short GCD sure, but with it a much slower TP/AP/whatever regen rate than any of the other two games being compared. Hell, that shet doesn't even look like it's actively regenerating while in battle. Clarify this argument for me with some different facts besides 1.5GDC > 2.5GDC. After all, once you get bottle-necked with TP/AP, it doesn't look like you're gonna be spamming 1.5 GCDs anyways.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2013-09-04 17:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I've played about 10 hours and got an 11 ARC and have no idea where to Evan go to get in a dungeon. I'm about to start leathercraft and ARC quests now and an having a blast with this game. Doesn't seem like its going to fast to me /shrug
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-09-04 17:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly, XIV plays like a single player game that you vaguely share with other people.
It doesn't appear to require much more than the bare minimum of cooperation between people.

-edit- and oh dear god, it does feel like easy mode.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-09-04 17:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The progression in dungeon difficulty will have you cursing the existence of random strangers starting around the late-30s.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-09-04 18:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Lol at the complaint that low level fighting is boring.
IT'S SO FUN IN FFXI! Autoattack and use the only one ws every couple of years as you have no haste or stp.
Pleeeeease.
Just because another game also has a boring low level pace doesn't excuse FFXIV for having one too.

"Pleeeeease", that would be us asking you to think before posting this kind of stuff.

Regarding the story, it's 20/80. 20% is really good and will keep you mesmerized, 80% puts you to sleep and make you wish there was a way to skip this ***already (much like the forced intro when starting the game for the first time, which I have done on so many computers, drives me insane). Unfortunately, the truly interesting part of the story only comes MUCH later, which kills this aspect of the game, unlike other FFs.

After playing I must admit that the only appeal I found to FFXIV is that it "let itself be played". You can log on and do whatever (except dungeons, give up on that), but I didn't see anything that made me feel "oh ***, I want to unlock that". Probably because I have maxed characters already, the endgame possibilities are so...

*removes the plastic covering his Star Ocean 3 box*
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shabbaa
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shabba
By Carbuncle.Shabbaa 2013-09-04 18:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

seems to see a wrong thing int there

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FFXI: FFXIV <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

please post on your FF14 forums ty!
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2013-09-04 18:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Shabbaa said: »

nupe.

we have dumbasses to educate.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2013-09-04 19:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The past 6 pages' of people don't seem to mind. Why mess with tradition?
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-09-04 19:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been contained to it's own thread. Unless it annoys you to have people discuss something Final Fantasy related on a Final Fantasy forum. Mind you there are also news, political, LOLpics and other random discussions on these forums too.
[+]
By daemun 2013-09-04 19:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

The past 6 pages' of people don't seem to mind. Why mess with tradition?
They have 4 total posts. I'd venture a guess each one is lobbying a complaint about something not "going as it should".

The games are fairly intertwined, they share the same heritage and a huge number of people that played XI, are playing XIV. At least one thread over here on this side of the forums is a necessary evil for those curious about making a transition.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-05 00:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
It was.

Edit: I mean the CSs and dialogue drag it out some but chances are if you think it took too long to get to the first dungeon you don't have the patience for either of those anyways.

If you can't offer opinion on game design mechanic, still using same "you must be very impatient", I won't bother to reply.

To Prothescar:

Killing Lv10 fodder on 21 Gladiator using gimp lv 15 weapon spamming highest attack potency ability, took me 6 click to kill.

2.48x6 is nearly 15 sec for lower lv. Inb4 doing wrong(I might)

It's certainly slower paced than avg mmo, fact.

There is a reason why MANY players(not just me)complained about the pace.

Player complained about boring TERA quest, or solo happy SWTOR, or easy mode GW2, those are design flaws no fans can deny. But they don't complain the pace nearly as much as XIV.
Flaw exists, just accept it.

Also to clarify my 1.5hr to dungeon comment.

This game, the battle system and ability GCD, is clearly designed for party play focused play style, like ffxi, not like gw2.

Therefore, solo quest tutorial longer than 1.5hr serves no purpose.

SWTOR tried to capture single player KOTOR experience, they at least accomplish that at lv1.

TERA wanted action combat, you got it at lv1.

Core Design philosophy of 14 needs to come faster, IMO.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2013-09-05 00:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

14 gameplay is just fine IMO , if you don't like it, don't play it. Me and my friends are having a blast and love it. Good-bye FF11, it was a good 7 years.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-05 00:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

nvm not even worth it
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-09-05 00:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

In the early stages (levels 1-15) the essential lesson to take from the quests and missions available is that they improve upon you understanding the inner workings of the class you are on. Duty finder (guildhests) allows you to hone your skills in slaying a common goal in a 4 man party settup. Sastasha is a longer more drawn out version of a Guildhest in that if you didnt do guildhests at level 10, you are going to get rocked or succeed on how well you adapt to a party situation all of a sudden.

After level 30 you have been given adequate time to know your role and how to play the game in general, so the easy low HP mobs that are maybe 2-4 at a time go away and they are replaced with hard hitting mobs that attack in groups of +1-3 more members.

Long story short, the game is set up the way it is for a purpose. !) To drive off the people that dont stick with games that judge them by the first 15 levels. 2) to drive off people that suck at group gameplay and working as a team. and finally 3) to focus on a group style type of play that actually requires group play to achieve without having members HAVE to get on for 16 hour shifts.

The global GCD is a non-issue...i dont worry about pinpointing exact numbers for my own personal GCD bcause 2.5 is well quick enough (maybe not for MNK max-greased but thats a whole nother story) for me to get off needed combos and still do self-buffs and keep enmity high.

Yes, i could be doing my macros at 2.46 (i dont have much skillspeed+ gear) But i dont feel i have to because i really only have to struggle against the GCD alot of the times in boss fights where doing a large macro chain can cause you to lose the chances to heal yourself or do another macro option.
 Bismarck.Davorin
Server: Bismarck
user: Davorin
By Bismarck.Davorin 2013-09-05 01:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Ppl still compare XI with XIV?
It's what you do...

...on an XI site talking about XIV...
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-05 01:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
It was.

If you can't offer opinion on game design mechanic, still using same "you must be very impatient", I won't bother to reply.

To Prothescar:

Killing Lv10 fodder on 21 Gladiator using gimp lv 15 weapon spamming highest attack potency ability, took me 6 click to kill.

2.48x6 is nearly 15 sec for lower lv. Inb4 doing wrong(I might)

It's certainly slower paced than avg mmo, fact.

There is a reason why MANY players(not just me)complained about the pace.

Player complained about boring TERA quest, or solo happy SWTOR, or easy mode GW2, those are design flaws no fans can deny. But they don't complain the pace nearly as much as XIV.
Flaw exists, just accept it.

Also to clarify my 1.5hr to dungeon comment.

This game, the battle system and ability GCD, is clearly designed for party play focused play style, like ffxi, not like gw2.

Therefore, solo quest tutorial longer than 1.5hr serves no purpose.

SWTOR tried to capture single player KOTOR experience, they at least accomplish that at lv1.

TERA wanted action combat, you got it at lv1.

Core Design philosophy of 14 needs to come faster, IMO.

you are certainly doing it wrong and you are quite certainly just trolling for the benefit of nobody;

, I can't comment on GW2, but if you really think this game is slower than tera's initial beginner island *** than you are just trolling.

tldr; calm your *** and don't play the game if you don't like it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-09-05 01:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Long story short, the game is set up the way it is for a purpose. !) To drive off the people that dont stick with games that judge them by the first 15 levels. 2) to drive off people that suck at group gameplay and working as a team. and finally 3) to focus on a group style type of play that actually requires group play to achieve without having members HAVE to get on for 16 hour shifts.
Literally utopia.

FFXIV is SE's only hope to make money, it would be absolutely suicidal to not want to embrace every single player this world has to offer. Have you seen what they did with their EU PR? This is proof enough that everything I quoted is wrong, among other proofs such as the game itself and Yoshida's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE communication.

As said above, the game simply have flaws, like any game out there. The flaws are just that, flaws, they aren't some very smart ideas to drive off people they need money from. This isn't Abercrombie & Fitch, this is Square Enix, a company that has released a game that will determine if they die or not.

They're giving 7 free days of play following the issues we have been encountering the past weeks, do you know how much of a loss it is? They're losing around the same price as it cost them to be at gamescom this year, but this isn't the same kind of "event".

So much delusion, I can't stop being impressed after so many years.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-05 01:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know we paid by the day now or that 7 = 30. Far as I'm concerned giving us 7 more days until our first billing cycle will attract more people to stay overall and end up making them more money than if they hadn't done it at all. Ideally the issues wouldn't have existed to begin with, but they did (and still do to a lesser extent), so the 7 day good graces trial time was a smart business decision. I somehow doubt that pushing back the first 2.0 billing cycle by 7 days will be the make or break point for SE.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-09-05 01:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
My problem with reading quest and chat is the graphics are great and all, but the text is so small on the text screen. It is like 10 font. maybe 8. Even ffxi font is bigger and easier to read. And I sit in a chair next to the screen. I can only imagine what people who play the game three to eight feet away.

But I do like leveling slow.
You can change your text log. Go to the main menu and hot bars.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-09-05 01:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I didn't know we paid by the day now or that 7 = 30. Far as I'm concerned giving us 7 more days until our first billing cycle will attract more people to stay overall and end up making them more money than if they hadn't done it at all. Ideally the issues wouldn't have existed to begin with, but they did (and still do to a lesser extent), so the 7 day good graces trial time was a smart business decision. I somehow doubt that pushing back the first 2.0 billing cycle by 7 days will be the make or break point for SE.
It won't, this isn't what I'm saying at any point.

It was simply an argument that they want to make money and these 7 days make them lose what they spent at gamescom, which mean that they for sure won't be excluding any kind of player, they want money.

Am I that unclear?

Smart business decision? It would cost less to enhance servers or even buy new ones than 7 days of free play. People I swear, know your topic.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8