How do you do this on PS3 (granted the D-pad usually works wonders) :(
I imagine /assist still works from xi
By Enuyasha 2013-09-03 22:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Enuyasha said: »
Hrm, ill have to try that and find a place in my macro bar.
 Odin.Hirokei
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Kaisuko
By Odin.Hirokei 2013-09-03 22:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pull a whole fate with aoe. Die within 5 second. Why is no one curing me. lol
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2013-09-03 22:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully tonights maintenance fixes the 1017 issue, thats the only thing that was my only issue the last couple of days. Server stability otherwise has been (at least for me anyways) outstanding with very few connection issues

I've enjoyed the rebirth
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2013-09-03 22:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, it was fun watching a whole mass of people just die from one move (Odins Zantetsuken)
[+]
By Luvbunny1 2013-09-03 22:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Please don't bother trying this game - it's a liquid gold crack in the highest grade - designed to hook you up and get you addicted to it fast and then you will have withdrawal symptom when the nasty "server full" is rearing its ugly head.... which should be fixed by tomorrow.

Like everyone has said, they did such a fantastic job revamping the game. Be aware that it is 2 type of games in 1, wrapped in delicious sweet package. Even on PS3 - at the lowest resolution - the game looks amazing, jaw dropping gorgeous, it is thick with atmosphere. The music is damn good!!

The one part of the game feels very FF offline, focused heavily on story and quest (meaning go explore the area and do all those silly quest familiar to any japanese RPG - and there are TONS of those). Storyline is slow burn but it ramps up faster and getting epic toward the ends. It also has some online elements in the form of dungeon party which is mandatory but you don't have to rely on it for grinding (there are FATE's and hunting guide to vary it up).

The second part of the game begin at 50 - this is the part that we are all very familiar with. Ilevel gears and very hard challenging dungeon grinding exploration for more gears and get better at strategy and do it over and over.

The game is very good at giving you options, so many things to do you never feel like you have to wait idle for 1-2 hours shouting for "plasm party job xyz". Always something to do. The areas are so amazingly rendered and beautiful to look at. The bad part about this game: because it is super casual friendly and let you solo a lot, you get to deal with many players (worse at the first 5 dungeons) who have no clue what party play and your job role is.

Like any good crack, you probably will reach burn out point very quickly. And when that happen, you can always go back to your old ugly first wive who is waiting patiently for you and will welcome you back and hit you with tons of punishments of RNG of Wildskeeper Reive and new delve bosses to conquer :)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-09-03 22:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hirokei said: »
Pull a whole fate with aoe. Die within 5 second. Why is no one curing me. lol
I can usually tank a few waves with bloodbath up. But even on single target bosses I can't even get healed when I ask. I've had like two instances of someone healing me, and not a single raise.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
Server: Cerberus
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-09-03 22:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having fun with ARR, but I really wish crafting was more important outside of relics.

Though it's awesome that quests provide you with gear, this has also made crafting anything low-mid level almost useless. There's few great crafted pieces at 50 as well, and so many are just sticking with AF full time. Dungeon gear is all rather strong and somewhat common as well, though you do need to greed against three other people.

Would really like for them to give me the ability to buy single items out of someone's 99 stack on the market. I don't need 99 damn ingots, I need 1 and I'm not paying 200k for one synth.
Not sure why they even removed that, was such a basic function of 1.0.

Bazaars and Melding requests in them need to make a comeback as well.

It's a good game, and now, I don't think it really needs to be compared to XI anymore. They are finally really different games.
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2013-09-03 23:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Crafts do get kinda important. Each piece of gear becomes unusable when worn. Bound gear cant be sold. Makes crafting useful.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2013-09-03 23:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I must be the only person who isn't impressed with XIV.

The whole time I played, it felt like I was playing LOTRO, but with arcade style combat, Mithra's, and twerking Carbuncles as far as the eye can see. It just doesn't feel right. The character movements are too rapid and non-linear, all of the clothing/gear looks out of place, and it annoys the piss out of me that with all of the features of the character creation menu, all of my Midland Hyur characters come out looking like David Bowie.

The landscape graphics are beautiful, but the gameplay just doesn't seem like it's going to hold my interest in the long term. The story so far seems incoherent, and it bothers me that my character has nowhere to call home, except wherever I happen to log out. The community doesn't seem particularly communal so far, I don't even know what it's like to party in the game because no-one can seem to tear themselves away from soloing... And seeing all the people that are doing nothing but constantly jumping around - just because they can - makes me feel like I'm watching the WoW episode of South Park.

The game may have the appearances of Final Fantasy, but it doesn't feel like FF to me.
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-09-03 23:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Blacksmith/Armorer combo with a Miner. Don't have to buy anything doing that.

Mine Ores > Blacksmith make the nuggets > Armorer makes the ingot and armor.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-03 23:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Novadragon said: »
Even Dungeons have strange strategies, it's amazing. Bosses turning away from you and doing a random attack to alter the battlefield. This game really test your limit when you go deeper. It isn't like FFXI, you actually have to run about a lot. The game is very fast paced and addicting. I even stayed up over 24 hours playing it because it's THAT good.

Fast paced, seriously? This excessive amount of white knighting needs to stop.

Last 2013 mmo I played, I kill trash mob in 2 sec with 2 ability. So it's kill kill kill none stop action.

In 14 it's use ability, 2.5sec cool down, use again,2.5 sec, again. I am watching cool down more often than kill mob. So it's like going to hell from heaven.

And it doesn't go faster until lv40 up with more speed gears.

2.5sec GDC is already world news in major MMO community, second to 1017 issue. When players not wanting to spend half of their life suffer through Lv1-40, fan boys call them impatient.

It's fine if you can tolerate 2.5 sec gdc, but let's face it, it's even slower paced than 1.0. You love the game, doesn't need to tell everyone wrong info.

Edit:I don't hate the game, I think it's kinda fun to kill time, but there many things I expected to see in ARR including lower gdc at low Lv, I can't find it, so I was a bit disappointed. I do think excessive amount of fan boyism and biased opinion draw unnecessary amount of hate for this game,
[+]
By Eijii 2013-09-03 23:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't like how it taste then don't eat it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-09-03 23:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't watch any gcd. I have all of my instant abilities on a hidden bar, and only have actual abilities visible. It's not much different than 1.0 except you had to reposition all the time to do different combos.
 Siren.Knivesz
Server: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-09-04 00:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
It's fine if you can tolerate 2.5 sec gdc, but let's face it, it's even slower paced than 1.0. You love the game, doesn't need to tell everyone wrong info.

Not to get into another boring FFXI vs FFXIV argument but no game I've played, granted I haven't played more than a handful of MMOs, has a battle system slower paced than XI. The fact that you can even dual box content in the game is proof of this. Might wanna consider taking some of your own advice on the not telling ppl the wrong info bit.

Edit: Just reread your post and noticed it said 1.0 not XI so my comment here is actually irrelevant to your post my mistake.
By Enuyasha 2013-09-04 00:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Siren.Novadragon said: »
Even Dungeons have strange strategies, it's amazing. Bosses turning away from you and doing a random attack to alter the battlefield. This game really test your limit when you go deeper. It isn't like FFXI, you actually have to run about a lot. The game is very fast paced and addicting. I even stayed up over 24 hours playing it because it's THAT good.

Fast paced, seriously? This excessive amount of white knighting needs to stop.

Last 2013 mmo I played, I kill trash mob in 2 sec with 2 ability. So it's kill kill kill none stop action.

In 14 it's use ability, 2.5sec cool down, use again,2.5 sec, again. I am watching cool down more often than kill mob. So it's like going to hell from heaven.

And it doesn't go faster until lv40 up with more speed gears.

2.5sec GDC is already world news in major MMO community, second to 1017 issue. When players not wanting to spend half of their life suffer through Lv1-40, fan boys call them impatient.

Actually, the only time you really "suffer" from GCD is when you're trying to apply a long list of debuffs and all of a sudden someones HP dips. For melee,ARC,and BLM its not really an issue as your WS' and spells chain together quite nicely and are worth that 2.5 second wait.

Outside of that, arent you capped at 2.5 seconds or can i do combos at 2.46 (which is my current WAR recasts for pretty much everything)?
 Leviathan.Delrosa
Server: Leviathan
user: Delrosa
By Leviathan.Delrosa 2013-09-04 00:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm soooooooo amazed at everyone saying how addicting and fresh and new it is. First off if you think the gameplay is fresh or exciting then you obviously haven't played many mmos, honestly its the same system most mmos use but done in a slower and less varied manner. The game completely abandons the original idea and feel of FFXI, but then again so did FFXI. I'll admit I've only done 6 or 7 different dungeons but those strategys you are all praising aren't really all that new or special. The only real surprise for me there is you normally have to wait for endgame raids for any strat more in depth than tank and spank.
As boring and cookie cutter as the combat feels though the crafting system is fun as hell. Only real reason I'm still playing the game though like a giant chuck of the community I doubt I'll be around after my free trial is up. They did some good things with the game such as crafting and the story is pretty fun but it is also flawed as hell. I've played ffxi for 8 yeas yet I don't see more than a couple months at most worth of time in xiv.
[+]
By Afania 2013-09-04 00:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Knivesz said: »
Siren.Knivesz said: »

No one compare 2013 mmo to 2002 one, stop.

So 14 is fast and awesome because it's better than 2002 quality, not because it meets 2013 standard? K.

I don't watch any gcd. I have all of my instant abilities on a hidden bar, and only have actual abilities visible. It's not much different than 1.0 except you had to reposition all the time to do different combos.

I feel 1-20 is slower than 1.0 though. Maybe it's misconception after spoiled in other faster paced games.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 00:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I leveled a tank job, probably the shittiest archetype of job to level in any MMO ever when it's solo oriented, from 1 to 50 and can say that I never felt like I was engaged to monster for too long or that the GCD made me want to claw my eyes out or any ***like that. The combat feels like it has weight to it as a result of the more measured time between each action, and as a result of that additional time the animations and reactions to and from being attacked feel more meaty. It's almost cathartic.

I like it a lot more than hitting 5 abilities within 3 seconds and having the thing I'm attacking die in under 10 seconds just to move on to the next powerless sod near me. I like it significantly more than standing there autoattacking for however long just to press the same button over and over, sometimes moving a couple of steps and pressing another button or two in between, to kill enemies that stand in one spot using a TP move every 6~10 seconds and occasionally cast a spell, never attempting to flee or use its environment against you.

So personally, if I had the choice, I'd rather have a meaty, flavorful combat experience rather than "kill a trash mob in 2 sec with 2 abilities" for "non stop action", because to me, action doesn't entail running around two shotting everything with no weightiness to the combat. I shouldn't be able to kill the massive armored dragon in two shots, it should be a duel to the death, and I want that duel to feel like it has substance to it rather than floaty spins and strikes that sound like they're done with a wet paper towel roll at a speed that would tear my limbs from their sockets while standing in one spot and not feeling connected with my prey or my environment.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-09-04 00:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The pace of the fights boils down to more than hitting a button every 2.5 seconds (which isn't completely accurate since you have abilities off the gcd). Combat (especially bosses) tends to keep you on your toes with constant movement and interacting with the environment. The gcd never felt inhibiting because chances are you should be doing something else other than staring at your bars waiting for buttons to light up again.
[+]
By Afania 2013-09-04 00:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Eijii said: »
If you don't like how it taste then don't eat it.

It not about I don't like the taste, I CAN tolerate it
if I want to, but I think ppl need to stop
that "everything's so good" attitude, then when someone else said different opinion inc "It's your own issue" bash, follow with more FFXI F2P wow gw2 swtor bash.

It does nothing good to 14 except more unwanted hate toward this game. Just enjoy it if you like it.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-09-04 00:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

@Enuyasha:

Have you tried Back/Select?

I haven't tried myself but I see what he means and it may be reached through Select spam. Or maybe X, there must be a way though.

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The pace of the fights boils down to more than hitting a button every 2.5 seconds (which isn't completely accurate since you have abilities off the gcd). Combat (especially bosses) tends to keep you on your toes with constant movement and interacting with the environment. The gcd never felt inhibiting because chances are you should be doing something else other than staring at your bars waiting for buttons to light up again.
I haven't gotten higher than lv 16 in v2 so far and haven't used my v1 character but until this level, the GCD is a hindrance and makes playing much less enjoyable than what it could be.

I still think they should have designed the gameplay another way, GCD just seems like an easy way to limit a gameplay without doing much efforts thinking on how to make it different/better.
By Afania 2013-09-04 00:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I leveled a tank job, probably the shittiest archetype of job to level in any MMO ever when it's solo oriented, from 1 to 50 and can say that I never felt like I was engaged to monster for too long or that the GCD made me want to claw my eyes out or any ***like that. The combat feels like it has weight to it as a result of the more measured time between each
action, and as a result of that additional time the animations and reactions to and from being attacked feel more meaty. It's almost cathartic.

I like it a lot more than hitting 5 abilities within 3 seconds and having the thing I'm attacking die in under 10 seconds just to move on to the next powerless sod near me. I like it significantly more than standing there autoattacking for however long just to press the same button over and over, sometimes moving a couple of steps and pressing another button or two in between, to kill enemies that stand in one spot using a TP move every 6~10 seconds and occasionally cast a spell, never attempting to flee or use its environment against you.

So personally, if I had the choice, I'd rather have a meaty, flavorful combat experience rather than "kill a trash mob in 2 sec with 2 abilities" for "non stop action", because to me, action doesn't entail running around two shotting everything with no weightiness to the combat. I shouldn't be able to kill the massive armored dragon in two shots, it should be a duel to the death, and I want that duel to feel like it has substance to it rather than floaty spins and strikes that sound like they're done with a wet paper towel roll at a speed that would tear my limbs from their sockets while standing in one spot and not feeling connected with my prey or my environment.

You don't need 2.5 sec to choose which ability to use in mmo after optimal rotation in that situation is figured out.

You are implying mmo in past 5 years has no depth?
 Sylph.Aritanos
user: Aris
By Sylph.Aritanos 2013-09-04 00:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The way i see this game is, as someone who's progressed pretty far in the story. They've taken everything that made WoW a success, and done it better. They've taken small things that were a success in failed MMO's (Failed as in went F2P and fell off the map) and adapted them well..

Then added a story and music worthy of an old school FF game, and you can naysay all day, but when you get far enough into the story, at least in one point my jaw straight hit the ground.

And yea, the comments about 1/2 the player population dropping off within a month is most likely true.. it's just the way it is with MMO players of this day, expecting so much to be there already for them to keep busy while the devs work on new content. However, you need to take into account the countless people who haven't even been able to play yet because of the dreaded 1017 boss (Well those that aren't too pissed off to play).
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-09-04 00:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I still think they should have designed the gameplay another way, GCD just seems like an easy way to limit a gameplay without doing much efforts thinking on how to make it different/better.
Later on you'll wish you had more tp instead.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2013-09-04 00:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

[this post is pending. error 1017]
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 00:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I leveled a tank job, probably the shittiest archetype of job to level in any MMO ever when it's solo oriented, from 1 to 50 and can say that I never felt like I was engaged to monster for too long or that the GCD made me want to claw my eyes out or any ***like that. The combat feels like it has weight to it as a result of the more measured time between each
action, and as a result of that additional time the animations and reactions to and from being attacked feel more meaty. It's almost cathartic.

You don't need 2.5 sec to choose which ability to use in mmo after optimal rotation in that situation is figured out.

You are implying mmo in past 5 years has no depth?

What part of my post says any of that? It isn't about having the time to choose which ability to use in an optimal rotation, it's the feel of the combat. I get it, you don't like it, you want to feel like a god or something in your games. Fine. But I and many others would much prefer a weighty combat experience that feels visceral rather than smashing together tin cans, one hopefully being sharper than the other and thus wins immediately so you can move on to smashing into more cans.

And no, I'm not implying that at all. GW2 is one of my favorite MMOs of all time. However, trying to say that it's "white knighting" to defend XIV's combat system just because you can't spam keys at the speed of smell to take down everything in your path in a microsecond is an unfair assessment, so I provided reasons why.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-04 00:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
I tried /assist before, it doesn't exist
By Enuyasha 2013-09-04 00:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
@Enuyasha:

Have you tried Back/Select?

I haven't tried myself but I see what he means and it may be reached through Select spam. Or maybe X, there must be a way though.

ill have to try after i get home...waiting for the game to come up so i can reserve my spot on PS3 D:
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8