Possible Use For PLD?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Possible use for PLD?
Possible use for PLD?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fenrir.Fearforever
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-02-24 09:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Nah. Atma talisman: 10$ off of their website or some such... Lets you carry your most recent Atma outside of abyssea. Just has to stay equiped.

I could see them doing that....

In respect to the upped enmity cap for pld only. Would that not only amplify the gap between DD jobs? Allowing everyone to go full out because enmity is glued to the pld would only increase the demand for war / mnk / sam only.

I could see that. Since Atma are still temporary items it wouldn't be that unreal to think you could synergize the Atma into a wearable form. Or, maybe "Atma Infusionist" will become a new job? Bard Ver3.5 go!

That wouldnt actually supprise me either, god I hope they dont tho a increased HP/MP would be great but dont need people running about with a RR atma outside abyssea, hell at 99 with 3x Atma u could solo a Dynamis-xara
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 09:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Nah. Atma talisman: 10$ off of their website or some such... Lets you carry your most recent Atma outside of abyssea. Just has to stay equiped.

I could see them doing that....

In respect to the upped enmity cap for pld only. Would that not only amplify the gap between DD jobs? Allowing everyone to go full out because enmity is glued to the pld would only increase the demand for war / mnk / sam only.

They could work if so a spike in enmity towards any person within a set time, say 10-15 seconds would make the monster change targets.

Or if lets say the Enmity Cap is currently 750 for all jobs, make PLD's 775-800 so it wouldnt be that far ahead and hate could still change if any spike in enmity happens
All of which means the DD have to potentially play as if the PLD isn't there, mitigating the benefit of the PLD's presence.

It's almost like I covered this a whole page ago.

Edit: 2 pages now, whee
By Raborn 2011-02-24 09:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

New Ability -
"The Middle Finger" (Someone come up with a better name)

Recast~ 2:00 minutes
::Immediately removes accumulated enmity from all party members and places it on you::
--Amount of Enmity varies based on overall accumulated hate and .....-
..... = something like corsair's rolls it generates a random number that will remove 1 being 50% of enmity and 10 being 100% from each player and replaces it on you. 2 = 55 3 = 60 4 = 65 5 = 70 6 = 75 7 = 80 8 = 87 9 = 94. Or something along these lines.
Sounds like it could replace the "worthlessness" of PLD being a tank without overpowering it?
Fairly certain NIN at this point doesn't give a ***about how well they can tank seeing as they can solo most things and duo everything.
So SE won't have to put up with QQ icanttanknow.
Few things to note about that ability it only works with members in a 6 group party it will not work in alliances. It does remove a random amount of hate from all players in the party and place it on the tank (enough to actually shift hate for a few moments rather than 5 seconds or shift hate the remainder of the fight).

New Trait(s) -
"Defensive Arts I & II"

::Occasionally allows you to attack with your shield.::
--Damage varies based on shield DEF, If successful next attack taken will receive mitigated damage--
So yeah this is pretty old probably, alot of people have thought about it but. Why not a better time than now? It puts uses back on Aegis and would make plds want to upgrade it. MNK has Kick Attacks. WAR has Double Attack. THF has Triple Att. And everyone knows that additional dmg helps your enmity build. So why not give PLD whats long overdue? Of course 40 dmg isn't all that high but PLD isn't exactly supposed to be a rape face DD right?
The first trait would be 10% and the second an additional 5% leveling out at 15% additional attack rate. To further enhance on PLD's weakness (the part where they take assloads of damage) after each successful hit (not miss) with the shield, there will be a 100% shield block that will allow up to 30~50% of damage taken to be reduced.

I would submit these ideas to SE but I'm just too damn lazy. So if anyone else wants to do it and take credit for it please do. Would probably help all you PLD lovers out there.
[+]
By Brakiss 2011-02-24 09:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, do you people all seriously think abyssea is all this game is going to be forever? Obviously not and pld will be needed to tank the level 110-125 level HNM's that SE brings out in future updates. I read somewhere about someone saying mnk and sam can tank better then pld outside of abyssea, i say bring your mnk or sam to Tiamat, and old mob and i bet neither can last as a tank. I cant wait for the updates that are outside of abyssea so i can watch all of you beg for pld's to tank for you.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-24 09:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Brakiss said:
Wow, do you people all seriously think abyssea is all this game is going to be forever? Obviously not and pld will be needed to tank the level 110-125 level HNM's that SE brings out in future updates. I read somewhere about someone saying mnk and sam can tank better then pld outside of abyssea, i say bring your mnk or sam to Tiamat, and old mob and i bet neither can last as a tank. I cant wait for the updates that are outside of abyssea so i can watch all of you beg for pld's to tank for you.

Sam can tank tiamat pretty good and deal nice damage to it :x
 Asura.Arkanethered
Server: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2011-02-24 09:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Pld was being outclassed at 75 by a decently geared and skilled DD with little effort the introduction of atma / abyssite and abyssea just magnified its mediocre performance.

It needs fixed to put it back where people perceived it to be at the onset of TOAU. That is what was being discussed.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-02-24 09:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Brakiss said:
i say bring your mnk or sam to Tiamat, and old mob and i bet neither can last as a tank.

lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Fearforever
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-02-24 09:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Brakiss said:

The max level SE can put into thing game due to its coding is Level 99 whether its monster or player as far as i'm aware. but they'll probably be some buffed up mobs running about at 99 that will bend us over and rape us.

I'm hoping for an actual Expansion for Level 99 not an "add-on"
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-24 10:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Brakiss said:

The max level SE can put into thing game due to its coding is Level 99 whether its monster or player as far as i'm aware. but they'll probably be some buffed up mobs running about at 99 that will bend us over and rape us.

I'm hoping for an actual Expansion for Level 99 not an "add-on"

Yeah *** Ps2 players and give us more addons! New areas and stuff! Would gladly pay a bit more for that per month. Btw not fair that europeans have to pay more than americans/japans :/ They should charge for them as much as we pay, ditch the ps2 players and everyone will be happy!
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 10:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Brakiss said:

DRK/NIN was hands down the best PLD-like tank back at 75. PLD was never the best, people were just too ignorant to know otherwise, sorry.

PS SAM could tank a lot of content at 75, T4 ZNMs, etc.
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-24 10:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Has there been a survey done on how many people play ff11 on ps2/xbox/pc?

I only ask because I am wondering how much of the playerbase still plays on a ps2.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 10:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Brakiss said:
DRK/NIN was hands down the best PLD-like tank back at 75. PLD was never the best, people were just too ignorant to know otherwise, sorry. PS SAM could tank a lot of content at 75, T4 ZNMs, etc.
Pld was alot easier though especially on things that killed shadows fast. I mean really how many sams did you know that could tank even xp mobs competently?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-02-24 10:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
he mentioned dd's taking 1-1.5k per hit

Sorry for the delayed reply, been afk all day before getting ready for work. I was using Guesh Urvan (the NM I mentioned earlier in the post) as an example, though I did forget to reference it at a later point to make it clearer.

Having never fought that NM, I was looking at the numbers Wiki had on it at 75 (hitting for ~1k through shadows and such), DD's naturally wouldn't be taking that sort of damage if they were geared to tank hard hitting NM's, though if they were geared to DD (making their defence lower than gearing to tank), they would take more damage from the hits if they reworked DEF into a PDT-style function.

This way, I'd expect a PLD to be the one that takes the hits (with lowest amounts of resources spent) while the DD's can don their DD gear and still kill within a reasonable time (giving PLD a use over DD in one aspect).

Admittedly though, I hadn't thought about how badly lowering the DEF of a standard DD could hurt lowman potential if damage calculations were changed (though everything I kill is with THF or NIN, so it's shadows all the way ><)

Alternatively, they could change PLD's "Defence Bonus" traits to giving PDT- (leaving all other defence calculations as they are) and just adding NM's similar to Guesh Urvan, where all attacks go through shadows/Third Eye and deal reasonably high amounts of damage.

Personally, I think it would make it easier for DD's to tank, though they'd have to be prepared and sacrifice a lot of their higher damage potential to do so, or bring a PLD to hold hate off the rest of the PT/Ally and let the DD's go nuts.

EDIT: Sorry for any confusion I caused in my walls of text XD Headed off to get ready for work now, so I won't be able to reply for a few hours at least ; ;
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 10:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:

I only ask because I am wondering how much of the playerbase still plays on a ps2.

Almost the entire JP population plays on PS2 last I checked.

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Pld was alot easier though especially on things that killed shadows fast. I mean really how many sams did you know that could tank even xp mobs competently?

Easy != Best. If you didn't suck DRK/NIN wasn't really that hard. I'm a DNC so asking me about people tanking EXP mobs isn't a fair question since they'd never even be close to dying. I knew 3 SAMs that could tank T4ZNMs just fine, only 3 because no one else had a geared enough SAM lol.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 10:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Easy != Best. If you didn't suck DRK/NIN wasn't really that hard. I'm a DNC so asking me about people tanking EXP mobs isn't a fair question since they'd never even be close to dying. I knew 3 SAMs that could tank T4ZNMs just fine, only 3 because no one else had a geared enough SAM lol.
True. But on average it will be better...

And sure drk/nin was decent. However some things it just wasn't as good at. Like anything that would take shadows down before recast. Survivability sometimes did matter.

Liked nin/drk better anyways. They generally had more of a clue what they were doing. And overall I generally fought rather low man with the intent to have the mob rarely tp and pretty much the only dmg the tanks would take is from tp moves.

It's kinda a trust issue really. I've known pups that cure really well. No way I'm going to say people should use them as a main healer even though there is one or 2 I would trust with that and would possibly be better than the others outside of abyssea.

Plds had the ability to survive being dumb. Or having stupid support DDs etc. I mean really blu/nin could beat the crap out of drk but no one really used it.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 10:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
True. But on average it will be better...

And sure drk/nin was decent. However some things it just wasn't as good at. Like anything that would take shadows down before recast. Survivability sometimes did matter.

Liked nin/drk better anyways. They generally had more of a clue what they were doing. And overall I generally fought rather low man with the intent to have the mob rarely tp and pretty much the only dmg the tanks would take is from tp moves.

It's kinda a trust issue really. I've known pups that cure really well. No way I'm going to say people should use them as a main healer even though there is one or 2 I would trust with that and would possibly be better than the others outside of abyssea

What mob would take shadows down before recast besides like Byakko? NIN/DRK was in fact a better tank on that (though if you had 2 tanks it didn't matter), but lol Byakko. Srs cats are srs.
[+]
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-24 10:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

....wow still? I guess were never gonna get new worlds on ff11. :(
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-02-24 10:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

again, though, why would you care whether the hate was on the paladin or not when other jobs are just as or more survivable

Sorry, no job is as survivable as an Ochain PLD, and it's not even that hard to get.

i don't think the majority of paladins want to get an emp, possibly two emps, just to meet the baseline standard of minimal usefulness

even if a fully, absolutely decked out paladin is incredibly survivable, most dd's with PDT sets/shadows are survivable enough that mages get bored

there's a level of survivability that there's not much need to go beyond

Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 10:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

....wow still? I guess were never gonna get new worlds on ff11. :(

Yep. :/

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
there's a level of survivability that there's not much need to go beyond

I already cure Thorny at 100% HP just to amuse myself with the extra cureskin. ; -; His WAR is a bit more entertaining to heal though.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-02-24 10:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

I already cure Thorny at 100% HP just to amuse myself with the extra cureskin. ; -; His WAR is a bit more entertaining to heal though.

my war is even more entertaining to heal ;;

how i shot shadows
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 10:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:

how i shot shadows

:< He was /SAM, but he's a Galka so they have more HP than anyone rightfully should. And he WAR tanks usually on casting mobs so it's like whatever. D:
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-02-24 10:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:

how i shot shadows

:< He was /SAM, but he's a Galka so they have more HP than anyone rightfully should. And he WAR tanks usually on casting mobs so it's like whatever. D:

i have more hp than anyone should rightfully have too!

unfortunately i'm pretty skilled at losing it :(
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 10:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
What mob would take shadows down before recast besides like Byakko? NIN/DRK was in fact a better tank on that (though if you had 2 tanks it didn't matter), but lol Byakko. Srs cats are srs.
Sorta depends on what support you had. But T4 znms tended to since was hard to debuff them and such. But often ran around with at most just a rdm and a brd for support.

Also greater survivability means less support. More blms!
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 11:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM only needed a brd and a rdm @@;
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-02-24 11:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Wheres the love for Rdm/Nin tanks back in the day.

Rdm was always my favorite tank...followed closesly by drk but alot of ppl had a hard time 'thinking outside of the box' back then.

:/ I miss Rdm tanking.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 11:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Depends on what you were fighting and how much healing you ended up needing. A rdm needed nothing :)
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 11:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Depends on what you were fighting and how much healing you ended up needing. A rdm needed nothing :)

Oh, I read that wrong. Silly manaburns.

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Wheres the love for Rdm/Nin tanks back in the day.

Rdm was always my favorite tank...followed closesly by drk but alot of ppl had a hard time 'thinking outside of the box' back then.

:/ I miss Rdm tanking.

It was pretty hot, too bad they nerfed it. There really was no reason for that :s
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-02-24 11:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

To many pld's bitched about how a good Rdm could tank circles around them..

Well jokes on all the pld's that bitched..because now your useless.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 11:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Hey magic dmg is still the best dmg dealt to tp given out there!!! Which might become important again
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-24 11:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Hey magic dmg is still the best dmg dealt to tp given out there!!! Which might become important again
MBs are the ***!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8