Possible Use For PLD?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Possible use for PLD?
Possible use for PLD?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-24 03:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Need some kind of job trait that slowly drains the emnity of everyone within a 20 yalm radius!

PLD needs a job ability with a 2 hour duration and 30 second recharge that enables you to give out oranges and Gatorade to your fellow adventurers. That way PLDs can feel like they are contributing to the party and are worth the spot.
all that came to my mind when i read this was "need a dispenser here"
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 03:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-24 03:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

clearly pld needs to be improved by making them ride on my little ponies
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 03:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

One of the most useful units in the game!

:<

Ramuh.Lorzy said:

Yes. :<
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 03:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You're at least reading what I'm saying, but I don't think you're quite grasping my point.

Asura.Alexstaifter said:
Of course if you look at this as one piece, it doesn't seem like a good idea, but If you take it as a whole to the whole thing I posted, it works out a lot better. (It is easy to pick pieces and find faults, like single puzzle pieces. But If you make the whole puzzle, everything is clear.)

It's a multifaceted issue so I'm dealing with the facets and hoping you have the sense to see how they interact in the big picture. So far not so good but I'll keep trying because I'm bored.

Quote:
And I would say no, of course it wouldn't be full time, or if it is, we just make it a job trait "Cover" and you have to be infront of the player who has hate at the time (Just like the Ability), and it wouldn't make the hate system pointless, as hate could still change between DDs, healers and nukers, but the paladin would need to move towards that party member to block for them (which is the whole point of paladin in the first place, so it wouldnt be really be game breaking.)
So basically it doesn't do anything of value. If hate can still change (and I mean really, forcefully change - not change for the two seconds it takes for a tank to move and hit the mob to recap hate) with this mechanic, you might as well accept that fact and go with DPS. If it's an issue such as hate reset, I'd point you towards THF (Accomplice/Collaborator) since it not only builds hate, but drains the hate of the person targeted. It logically follows that you thus give PLD a great JA and create situations where this JA is highly desirable, but at this point you've built encounters around having a single job and thus traded one problem for another.

Quote:
In this game the point of PLD is to keep the monster on them, to protect everyone else. but if it does not have the tools to do so, it won't function as it is meant to.
It does have the tools to protect others. As I've mentioned, the issue lies with FFXI's enmity mechanics rather than PLD's defensive abilities.

Quote:
And people wanna complain about balance in sense of damage,
You're oversimplifying my argument.

Quote:
every melee job can do decent to high damage, and pld can barely hit the decent marker, get it between decent and High, and it will get it's job done.
No. I reiterate that the best DD is the best tank provided the backline is not at risk. Once survivability is taken care of, the next significant measuring stick is killspeed. There is a balance (ohohoho) between damage output and survivability (a complexity in my argument that you have overlooked). PLD fails miserably in the latter and nothing requires PLD's survivability in the former (additionally, you can argue that other tanks are at least as a survivable as a non-Ochain PLD in many/all situations), so it fails in its intended role.

To recap: PLD is a mid-tier healer (reliant on Cure IV), low-tier DD, and mid-tier tank (good design, but other jobs perform better due to basic mechanics). As it is not particularly desirable for any of these aspects, it is rendered completely undesirable (XI rewards specialization rather than mediocrity). As such, we strive to create a situation where it is desired for one of the above. If we increase its healing ability, it clashes with WHM (the designated main healer) or DNC (the frontline healer/DD). If we increase its DD capabilities, it clashes with the entire DD roster and must either still fail (as Enlight failed to sufficiently buff PLD as a DD) or become competitive in a DD sense and thus replace any DD that is inferior to PLD as a tank (creating more problems than it solves). If we increase its tanking ability such that it becomes a desired tank, we have created a situation where the fact that enmity caps is irrelevant or significantly altered other major game mechanics to save a single job, potentially forcing the use of said job. Again, this is undesirable.

If we increase any or all abilities by small amounts, it still sucks. If we make it a compelling job in any aspect, it creates more problems than it solves. You have failed to demonstrate how any of your proposals, or all of them in combination, circumvent this paradox.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-24 03:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:

Clearly DRGs need all of this too:

i'm a taru and i've always wanted to ride my wyvern because it's bigger than me
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 03:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:

Clearly DRGs need all of this too:

i'm a taru and i've always wanted to ride my wyvern because it's bigger than me

I would so roll a DRG~
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 03:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Needs more swords in hurr.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 03:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

lax magic

Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 03:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Screw more swds dual weild some shields!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 03:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

lax magic

Needs more BLU in my FE.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 03:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Needs more BLU in my FE.

Consolation Prize:
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 04:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Teleportation (kinda) is like magic, right???
 Fenrir.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-02-24 04:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What up with all the dumb gifs
[+]
 Asura.Alexstaifter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-02-24 04:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
You're at least reading what I'm saying, but I don't think you're quite grasping my point.

Asura.Alexstaifter said:
Of course if you look at this as one piece, it doesn't seem like a good idea, but If you take it as a whole to the whole thing I posted, it works out a lot better. (It is easy to pick pieces and find faults, like single puzzle pieces. But If you make the whole puzzle, everything is clear.)

It's a multifaceted issue so I'm dealing with the facets and hoping you have the sense to see how they interact in the big picture. So far not so good but I'll keep trying because I'm bored.

Quote:
And I would say no, of course it wouldn't be full time, or if it is, we just make it a job trait "Cover" and you have to be infront of the player who has hate at the time (Just like the Ability), and it wouldn't make the hate system pointless, as hate could still change between DDs, healers and nukers, but the paladin would need to move towards that party member to block for them (which is the whole point of paladin in the first place, so it wouldnt be really be game breaking.)
So basically it doesn't do anything of value. If hate can still change (and I mean really, forcefully change - not change for the two seconds it takes for a tank to move and hit the mob to recap hate) with this mechanic, you might as well accept that fact and go with DPS. If it's an issue such as hate reset, I'd point you towards THF (Accomplice/Collaborator) since it not only builds hate, but drains the hate of the person targeted. It logically follows that you thus give PLD a great JA and create situations where this JA is highly desirable, but at this point you've built encounters around having a single job and thus traded one problem for another.

Quote:
In this game the point of PLD is to keep the monster on them, to protect everyone else. but if it does not have the tools to do so, it won't function as it is meant to.
It does have the tools to protect others. As I've mentioned, the issue lies with FFXI's enmity mechanics rather than PLD's defensive abilities.

Quote:
And people wanna complain about balance in sense of damage,
You're oversimplifying my argument.

Quote:
every melee job can do decent to high damage, and pld can barely hit the decent marker, get it between decent and High, and it will get it's job done.
No. I reiterate that the best DD is the best tank provided the backline is not at risk. Once survivability is taken care of, the next significant measuring stick is killspeed. There is a balance (ohohoho) between damage output and survivability (a complexity in my argument that you have overlooked). PLD fails miserably in the latter and nothing requires PLD's survivability in the former (additionally, you can argue that other tanks are at least as a survivable as a non-Ochain PLD in many/all situations), so it fails in its intended role.

To recap: PLD is a mid-tier healer (reliant on Cure IV), low-tier DD, and mid-tier tank (good design, but other jobs perform better due to basic mechanics). As it is not particularly desirable for any of these aspects, it is rendered completely undesirable (XI rewards specialization rather than mediocrity). As such, we strive to create a situation where it is desired for one of the above. If we increase its healing ability, it clashes with WHM (the designated main healer) or DNC (the frontline healer/DD). If we increase its DD capabilities, it clashes with the entire DD roster and must either still fail (as Enlight failed to sufficiently buff PLD as a DD) or become competitive in a DD sense and thus replace any DD that is inferior to PLD as a tank (creating more problems than it solves). If we increase its tanking ability such that it becomes a desired tank, we have created a situation where the fact that enmity caps is irrelevant or significantly altered other major game mechanics to save a single job, potentially forcing the use of said job. Again, this is undesirable.

If we increase any or all abilities by small amounts, it still sucks. If we make it a compelling job in any aspect, it creates more problems than it solves. You have failed to demonstrate how any of your proposals, or all of them in combination, circumvent this paradox.

If you had to pick one thing from the list of options listed to make paladin "worthwhile" what would one choose?

I would think changing the game mechanics would be the safest bet, As like with WotG, DNC changed a great deal of how general party formats and even solo play is done. (Looking at a lets say ToAU era FFXI compared to a post WotG era FFXI.)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 04:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Enternius said:
Fire Emblem is awesome, don't hate :<

Quote:
If you had to pick one thing from the list of options listed to make paladin "worthwhile" what would one choose?
None. I'm not willing to cause more problems than I solve. Changing game mechanics would have been the right answer long ago since it's where the problem actually lies but changing the entire enmity system this late in the game isn't really a viable solution.

DNC didn't change core mechanics, it changed playstyles. There's a significant difference.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-24 04:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Enternius said:

When I'm bored I have a habit of shitting up threads. Let's call it a hobby. :<
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 04:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think the thread got significantly more awesome once we started talking about FE rather than lolPLD.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 04:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Fenrir.Enternius said:
When I'm bored I have a habit of shitting up threads. Let's call it a hobby. :<
Bad nini bad

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 04:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I still think the thread got significantly more awesome once we started talking about FE rather than lolPLD.
Once Finalvegeta went to bed or whatever he is doing happened.
Too bad Ronson isn't in here. He could tell us how pld could tank if it subs drg and gets 30% gear haste and a million double attack with joyuese and uses abilities that give only 1 CE and no VE of hate to recover from hate resets...
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 04:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Once Finalvegeta went to bed or whatever he is doing happened.
Too bad Ronson isn't in here. He could tell us how pld could tank if it subs drg and gets 30% gear haste and a million double attack with joyuese and uses abilities that give only 1 CE and no VE of hate to recover from hate resets...
You forgot to mention how he would do it solo.
But if he's solo how can he prove his ability to keep/maintain hate!?!
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-02-24 05:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Not too long ago I posted in another PLD thread that it wouldn't take much to have PLD includable in the game. It would require a small change in game mechanics (or more specifically, Defence), but nothing overly difficult. Copy/paste spoilered!
 Gilgamesh.Yukichibi
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Yukichibi
By Gilgamesh.Yukichibi 2011-02-24 07:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe make PLD immune to hate reset, it will make some NM easier to fight with, but still doable without it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Chairman
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Chairman
By Quetzalcoatl.Chairman 2011-02-24 08:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

if we didn't have paladins then all those creed seals would go to waste, duh
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8