Possible Use For PLD?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Possible use for PLD?
Possible use for PLD?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 19:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Higher enmity cap. Lower enmity generation from damage and more from PLD abilities/spells. Maybe higher enmity generation from curing spells too. Fixed

MNK and SAM kill way faster and survive just as well (outside too). No incentive to use PLD. Not fixed.

If they increase enmity generation from cure spells and decrease from damage dealt then mobs will go after healers.

So you are retracting your previous statement about cures?

Cure IV pulls more enmity than Cure V anyway for how much it cures.

What? I said "Maybe higher enmity generation from cure spells" which means they should increase it no? What are you talking about :x If they increased the enmity gain from cure spells and decreased it from damage dealt then DDs will have a problem keeping the mobs from mages. You would need a PLD again if they would just change the enmity system. That's all you have to change. But not like that will ever happen. Would be the easiest way tho imo.
You'd literally have to scale things to the point where it's impossible to cap VE via DD for this to be viable. At that point yes PLD is viable, but it also completely breaks the system because DDs would never have to worry about hate after that and could simply go balls to the wall while a PLD or two takes all the hits.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-02-23 20:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, you kids
[+]
By Serj 2011-02-23 20:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
Give PLD increased DD ability. I don't mean Chant du Cygne, I mean something on par with the GAxe or H2H empyrean WS that every PLD can use. ONLY way to fix PLD, and you'd need to increase Enmity cap as well.

Ok, so you want every pld to get a ws w/ no work required, that rivals the work put into victory smite and ukko's fury?

You make no sense brah

WHAT THE *** IS WITH YOUR AVATAR?!?!?

Also, CDC isn't a bad ws by any means. People should stop bitching about that.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 21:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Heres how you increase the emnity from cure spells.... cure lower lvl targets.

Heres how you decrease the emnity from dmg dealt... fight higher lvl targets.

And CDC will pretty much beat any non empyrean ws lol. I dominate most parties with it on blu
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 21:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

4.25 fTP with a 60% DEX mod is pretty *** hot. The jobs it's attached to have a lot more to do with its status in the eyes of the playerbase than anything else.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2011-02-23 21:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rorrick said:
Asura.Malekith said:
Honestly, utility is just a question of the task at hand. Most EGLS probably don't have a use for pld given that MNK/WAR/NIN and even DNC can tank most things. However EGLS is not the end all be all. PLD's out there can still lead shout/ pickup runs and be the master of their own destinies...

Granted the people in the QQ chorus are prolly just peeps rocking 5/5 perle the way blueberry paladin's rocked adaman back in the day. However that's just not enough these days. Even if the PLD in question has +1/+2 gear that only addresses dmg mitigation and not DPS which is really what allows tanks to hold hate vis-a-vis other dd's in abyssea.

Has anyone ever thought of instead of just complaining to SE to do something, that maybe players ought to take care of what they can? PLD can handle a number of red and blu procs, yet do many players out there have their skills adequately leveled? No... alot don't.

DD PLD sounds oxymoronic but shoot, quit spamming atonement! Learn to gear yourself properly for Sanguine/ Vorpal Blades. It may not deal out OMGDMG like Ukon, Smite, (insert WS name here) however it'll top that crappy 200 dmg Atonement I still see some pld's insist on spamming.

These are all small things but if folks focused on doing what they could to make themselves useful we'd have less of this QQ BS where people opine how someone else (SE) should make their lives better. Take some initiative and carve out roles for yourselves in your LS and lowman groups...

Sanguine sucks for PLD (Cataclysm is probably a better brewing weaponskill too), Vorpal is mediocre inside and junk outside. Both pale in comparison to normal weaponskills like Raging Rush/Asuran Fists/Blade: Jin, and Almace won't keep up with Vereth/Ukon inside or outside.

The problem is trying to make yourself useful is a fruitless endeavor unless PLD is your only job. You're better off on just about any other job. WAR and NIN can cover all red procs and are far more useful than PLD. If your blue proc is Swift Blade, deaggro and reset it. If your specific group brings a PLD because you don't have a WAR that's fine, but your group's shortcomings don't fix the job. It's still useless to everyone else.

Those "little things" only matter if you surround yourself with shitty players. If PLD is your only job, level *anything* else and you'll be more useful than PLD is currently. It needs a buff, you can't really get around that.

Cure V is almost hateless, and increasing cure enmity would hamper PLD almost as badly as DD tanks because PLD can't survive on its own (barring Ochain or Aegis, and if you have one of those you can solo most anything anyway), and generates enmity slower than most DD jobs.

Dude my comments were directed totally towards people with PLD as their sole job. If you missed that now you now, and the rest of your comments are void.

As for sanguine being useless you're way off their? Again for those with PLD only, sanguine is their best bet for dmg. It's not hard to gear for/ equip atmas. Then again maybe I'm biased because I have better than average gear and I actively try to acquire every atma I can get my hands on.

Point is, X job does it better is no consolation to people without those jobs. Should people level more jobs? Sure, but that's up to the individual and depends on playtime. Though you may not bring them along on PLD doesn't mean they can't find people who will and if that's not leet or efficient that's nothing you should worry about. Again you're not playing with these people.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-23 21:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

At this point having one job is almost inexcusable with how easy it is to level something. It's not even about PLD being completely useless, you should have some versatility in your job selection. The rest of my post is not void just because you cannot or will not form a rebuttal.

Quote:
As for sanguine being useless you're way off their? Again for those with PLD only, sanguine is their best bet for dmg. It's not hard to gear for/ equip atmas. Then again maybe I'm biased because I have better than average gear and I actively try to acquire every atma I can get my hands on.

If you take three MAB atmas maybe, but that's idiotic. The atma setup for a PLD pretending to DD is something along the lines of VV/RR/AoA, which heavily favors Vorpal Blade. The pathetic amount of MAB/INT PLD can get is not going to close that gap.

The point is, there's no job in the game you can point to and say "PLD does X better than this job." It doesn't tank, it doesn't nuke, it doesn't heal, and it doesn't DD. My not playing with horrible players is no worse an argument than you playing with a linkshell of PLD-only players. Just because you can find someone dumb enough to want a PLD for something does not mean it's worth bringing, and it's also not worth bringing just because its the only job that person has.

Can I go and create a shout group for something on PLD? Yeah, I probably could scrounge up enough people if I'm patient enough. That doesn't mean I should be on PLD, which is the entire problem.

As far as CDC goes, the weaponskill is nice, the jobs attached to it aren't. Saying it beats non-Emp weaponskills is like reminding me the sky is blue. Honestly, I wonder if PLD/SAM with Caladbolg would parse better than PLD with Almace.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2011-02-23 22:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wrote my posts for a target audience that plays PLD and isn't interested in other jobs or perhaps is unwilling/ unable. Whether that's the right or best choice is irrelevant because I can't read minds.

From that position all I attempted to do was just encourage those players to be as useful as possible. PLD may be passe at the moment or useless if you want to be meant about it, however it can proc triggers and it does have 2 WS available to do that do some dmg. The PLD audience I wrote for in my initial post should focus on acquiring all those triggers and doing what they can to maximize dmg on those two WS.

Again if this is not how you play the game because you have X jobs at 80/85/90 then keep on trucking. Surprise you're not my intended audience! To that end, keep faith my fellow shield bearers the wheel will eventually turn. About a year ago blu and dnc were on the outside looking in. Things will eventually change...
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-23 22:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't be fair to make PLD stronger. PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer. Right now any job with a WHM can pretty much tank cuz doesn't matter how much damage they take whm can just spam cure. So either change the damage taken so that they can't tank anymore compared to a tank (which would still suck cuz DDs will cap hate faster than PLD and just die) or change how the hate system works! What's wrong with that idea :(
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 22:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't be fair to make PLD stronger. PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer. Right now any job with a WHM can pretty much tank cuz doesn't matter how much damage they take whm can just spam cure. So either change the damage taken so that they can't tank anymore compared to a tank (which would still suck cuz DDs will cap hate faster than PLD and just die) or change how the hate system works! What's wrong with that idea :(
DDs used to have this thing called restraint in order to keep them from dieing... as well as TA hijinks
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-23 22:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK and SAM tank better than PLD (with arguably equivalent or better damage mitigation) and do more damage. How's that fair?

Reworking the hate system doesn't really work because as long as PLD generates enmity so slowly DDs will always cap faster and have an easier time staying there. You'd have to rework it to the point where damage generates next to nothing, but then you break the game so that DDs can go nuts without a care in the world while a PLD eats all the damage.

Letting PLD generate enmity quickly doesn't fix the problem either because there's still no incentive to take it to anything since MNK, SAM and NIN all deal better damage and survive just as well or better than PLD.

Edit for the guy from before: your "intended audience" not only has nothing to do with whether or not PLD needs a buff, but is unlikely to even read your post if they're confident (or dumb enough) enough to think that the only job they need to level is PLD.
 Caitsith.Amonk
Server: Caitsith
user: Amonk
By Caitsith.Amonk 2011-02-23 23:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What sort of job hierarchy do you see for tanking ironclads?
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-23 23:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK, WAR & NIN > the rest? Ironclads are jokes.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-23 23:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

wouldn't be easier to just adjust PLD's hate and their max enmity, and their defense?

edit: assuming they give a rats *** if the job is useful or not.
[+]
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-02-23 23:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
wouldn't be easier to just adjust PLD's hate and their max enmity, and their defense?

[+]
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-02-23 23:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
Give PLD increased DD ability. I don't mean Chant du Cygne, I mean something on par with the GAxe or H2H empyrean WS that every PLD can use. ONLY way to fix PLD, and you'd need to increase Enmity cap as well.

Ok, so you want every pld to get a ws w/ no work required, that rivals the work put into victory smite and ukko's fury?

You make no sense brah

You misunderstood. I was trying to demonstrate the hole that PLD is in. They don't deserve a ws that good for no work, yet it's the only way they'll ever even come close to usefulness again.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-24 00:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Yes, in terms of hate control. If PLDs cap was the only one raised then it handle that issue, but the issue is PLD is also that useless.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

I was just throwing an idea out there, quite frankly I don't give 2 shits about PLD :D
 Shiva.Khimaira
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-02-24 00:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Yes, in terms of hate control. If PLDs cap was the only one raised then it handle that issue, but the issue is PLD is also that useless.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

I was just throwing an idea out there, quite frankly I don't give 2 shits about PLD :D

This.

Most people who do give a ***about PLD still have delusions of it's usefulness, and won't be found in a thread like this.
 Shiva.Gylfie
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-02-24 00:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: I leveled PLD and iMad
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 00:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

They just ought to be made a front line DD WHM
They did that with DNC :<
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2011-02-24 00:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-02-24 00:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

oh look its this thread again
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-24 00:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer.

Damn those SSs of a PLD using a GS in party that SE puts out there! Stupid A Club and Staff, damn that proficiency with weapons! Those are not for damage! They are for mitigating damage while the mob ignores you!

Back at 75 I advocated a DD PLD as being the best way to hold hate, even on something like Byakko. Why? Because it worked better than a turtle PLD if the people geared right, ate right, and did it right.

What is wrong with that is hate system reworked or not, PLD is still useless.

They just ought to be made a front line DD WHM (even though a good WHM still probably out DD them in abyssea XD) at this point in the game. It is easier, simpler, and less time consuming to do than rework the hate system for one loljob.
You just don't get it. If the hate system was reworked PLD would not be useless >anymore<. It is right now. Ppl are mad because of that. SE needs to do something about it. Change hate system and voila PLD might be useful again compared to other jobs. Right now it is not but who knows what they have planned for the future. Not like I give a ***about PLD it is just an idea how they might make it useful. What does it matter if they have A in club or staff. If PLD was meant to be a DD then SE did something wrong from the start and Why would Paladin be a DD srsly.. In no other game is that a DD.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-24 00:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer.

Damn those SSs of a PLD using a GS in party that SE puts out there! Stupid A Club and Staff, damn that proficiency with weapons! Those are not for damage! They are for mitigating damage while the mob ignores you!

Back at 75 I advocated a DD PLD as being the best way to hold hate, even on something like Byakko. Why? Because it worked better than a turtle PLD if the people geared right, ate right, and did it right.

What is wrong with that is hate system reworked or not, PLD is still useless.

They just ought to be made a front line DD WHM (even though a good WHM still probably out DD them in abyssea XD) at this point in the game. It is easier, simpler, and less time consuming to do than rework the hate system for one loljob.
You just don't get it. If the hate system was reworked PLD would not be useless >anymore<. It is right now. Ppl are mad because of that. SE needs to do something about it. Change hate system and voila PLD might be useful again compared to other jobs. Right now it is not but who knows what they have planned for the future. Not like I give a ***about PLD it is just an idea how they might make it useful. What does it matter if they have A in club or staff. If PLD was meant to be a DD then SE did something wrong from the start and Why would Paladin be a DD srsly.. In no other game is that a DD.
who just doesn't get it? nobody cares if pld can only hold hate better. in order for pld to be useful, they either have to do more damage, which would be an unlikely adjustment, or it has to be difficult for every other job to tank mobs without dying.

edit: oh yeah, or be a better healer.

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8