Which Prime Is Lining Up To Be Most Job Changing?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Which Prime is lining up to be most Job changing?
Which Prime is lining up to be most Job changing?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-23 14:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Other thing for the horn that might be considered job changing: takes half as many songs to apply a round of buffs since it combines Daurdabla and Gjallarhorn into one instrument. No need to sing weak songs to apply 4 then overwrite with the Gjallarhorn buffed ones. May not matter much all the time but it can matter sometimes.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2024-01-23 14:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Other thing for the horn that might be considered job changing: takes half as many songs to apply a round of buffs since it combines Daurdabla and Gjallarhorn into one instrument. No need to sing weak songs to apply 4 then overwrite with the Gjallarhorn buffed ones. May not matter much all the time but it can matter sometimes.

I definitely don't disagree...but I do feel the need to say the greatest advantage that trait gives is almost dead as alliance content- and bard swapping- becomes less and less a possibility with only 6-man content existing.

Its definitely something worth pointing out, as it does simplify the primary aspect of the job a TON. I just wonder how often one will get to experience that benefit any more.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-23 15:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If your bard has a Loughnashade, your dd's likely have prime weapons and are getting their own PDL from aftermath.

takes half as many songs to apply a round of buffs since it combines Daurdabla and Gjallarhorn into one instrument. No need to sing weak songs to apply 4 then overwrite with the Gjallarhorn buffed ones.
Minor nitpick here, but why are you singing 4 then 4?

Honor March - Marsyas + duration gear
Victory March - Gjallarhorn + duration gear
2 dummy paeons - Daurdabla + all duration gear removed
Minuet V/IV - Gjallarhorn + duration gear

The paeon's are lowest duration and removed instead of the marches.
By SimonSes 2024-01-23 15:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You sing 6 times to apply 4 songs now in a party. If you do it other way, you do something wrong.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-23 15:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think Aria is more impactful than HMarch, but it also doesn't need to be.

Realistically for a lot of content you're doing 5 songs so it's really more like going from 7 songs to 5.

Nice thing is when putting songs back up on someone after they died. Doing 4 songs instead of 6 is nice.

It's not a huge time saver though TBH.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-01-23 15:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Other thing for the horn that might be considered job changing: takes half as many songs to apply a round of buffs since it combines Daurdabla and Gjallarhorn into one instrument.
This only goes for Stage 5 but yes, I mentioned it. It's what I meant when I said "not just for Aria but for everything else".

Other than for Debuffs (you want Ghorn for that) and for those rare situations where you want a 19 yalms range for songs, Laughnashade is basically your one instrument to rule 'em all.
[+]
 Shiva.Liam
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Liam 2024-01-23 15:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrox78 said: »
SimonSes said: »
K123 said: »
How is SAM the 'solo DPS/tank' on F? If SAM was the only dedicated (not RDM COR BRD which are buffers/debuffers too) DD/tank you could take COR+BRD+RDM+GEO support but dying once would be really messy. Could this thoeretically work with WAR? I did G on WAR once but COR was meleeing and probably the RDM, but not the BRD.

Thunder mode should be very easy with most likely Mumei>Mumei>Fudo back to back with Yaegasumi, overcuring, barthundra and maybe Carol? All WSs are probably cap damage with Yaegasumi+Aria and both Gravitation and Darkness will be doing tons of damage.

Now I'm not sure about wind mode. Gravitation won't be doing damage to Wind hand Gartell, so maybe something weird like Impulse>Mumei (with weapon switching) for Darkness?

I can see Wind mode being a problem. There is no good multistep SC I can think about, but on the other hand you need to kill it during Asylum or it can get very messy, so Im wondering myself how they handle that.

Getting off a whole skillchain in Thunder mode is tough with how often he stuns. Solo DD without a kiter sounds rough.

I concur and question it honestly. Maybe not just on F but doing 8 bosses with a sam solo dd in the first place (In a single run).

I've been playing sam as only dps on 8 boss for some time, just took a bit of experimentation to get the feel for it. (that first wind hand kill felt good!)but do it consistently now. Other dps just cripple the sc dmg and feed boss tp. subtle blow in sets to cap with auspice, makes a huge difference. Obviously if you have the "tank + WAR + DRK all bosses dead in 30 secs comp" that ppl use that will be better, but we don't so working with what we have :) we were doing 7 boss as cor sam brd and now have some friends along for the ride (whm + geo), which made me brave enough to try F too

for F the sc regardless of hand is Mumei > shoha > fudo on repeat to avoid ws wall. wind hand just takes a little longer as the gravitation dmg is gone.

Open with asylum, then pop yaeg when it wears off, on either hand its pretty much dead by the end of those SPs. we do 2 basement bosses off the first SV/ (yaeg on F) then 2 at the end with the next one (Yaeg on H)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-23 15:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So to be clear, you do SAM COR BRD GEO RDM WHM w/ only the SAM engaged on every boss? Does Stun ever ruin your SC on Thunder hands or is SB somehow making that less of a problem? Had thought his Stun was attached to an auto attack.

Figured Aita was possible w/ 3 chars too, glad to see. Usually do the lions share of the dmg on SAM as it is thanks to Yaeg.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-23 15:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Honor March - Marsyas + duration gear
Victory March - Gjallarhorn + duration gear
2 dummy paeons minuets - Daurdabla + duration gear removed
Minuet V/IV - Gjallarhorn + duration gear

The paeons minuets are lowest duration and removed overwrited instead of the marches.

There is no reason to sing songs you don't need. If you sing minuets as dummy, your party is getting that +329 attack bonus sooner and you only push it to +424 with gjallarhorn. It might not benefit you in every scenario (mainly when you start fighting after you sing all the songs), but it will benefit you every time you sing when party is already fighting, like start of Sheol C or when someone died and you rebuff him/her.
 Shiva.Flowen
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2024-01-23 15:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I play BRD with loughnashade a lot. For segs farm and sortie (or any content you can be well over attack cap without too much difficulty) it is a bigger boost than any weapon could achieve, no question. Note than in Gaol I have tested it and I dont think I was using much if any of the extra PDL with 9k+ attack.

I dont think shield changes anything but how lazy you can be with swapping between other options really.. but I would like it as an all arounder one day.

Scythe is solid, the utility to restore HP without apoc, MP without entropy, ride schere earring etc is all great, but you will probably get better DPS out of Caladbolg R15 in many situations. On Gaol V25 you will likely be better off using caladbolg and popping the odd vile elixir, although the added strong WS options from scythe and great sword are really nice vs ws wall.

I'm still debating bow or gun as next prime.. but then you fight arebati and find yourself mainly using Anni! And then you look at your R15 gastra and DP and realize they are probably still better against a lot of other content.. Full enmity from Sarv/Terminus hurts them a lot in my opinion.

DRG has needed a big FTP scaling ws that makes the most of its WSD for a long time (outside of savage blade). Looks to be a very nice boost to their piercing damage. Also synergizes very well with other top polearm weaponskills for some really nice skillchains.

Greatsword.. Fimbulvetr + Warcry + Mighty strikes is probably the best melee zerg out there. Nice to have for multiple jobs. Probably on par with R15 Calad for Drk from my experience playing with both.

Great Katana is very strong. I see it in practice pretty much daily and it has knocked Masa R15 off the top spot, but nice to switch between the two for light/dark sc (although mumei mumei shoha kasha fudo is a solid double light).
[+]
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2024-01-23 15:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Stun is definitely a pain in the butt, not gna lie, but since we started pacing asylum and yaeg its become less of an issue. I intentionally don't try and do long SCs on F and H so i don't ruin the big finishers from a stun

SAM COR BRD GEO WHM (6th is sometimes RDM sometimes 2nd COR, but most of the time cor to make bolters easier)

SAM only one engaged on each boss, on D/H cor procs with ninjitsu just because geo is mule and cor knows what he is doing with the procs. we did try things like COR arma AM3 etc but just feeds tp that can cause more hindrance than help.
H tends to only change element 2 times in a run, if its dark element I do Fudo > kasha > shoha > fudo for light sc, otherwise its mumei > shoha > Fudo.
For E Ageha > Mumei > mumei > shoha > kasha > fudo (skip ageha after first)
G I do ageha > Mumei to open, then just fudo > kasha > shoha > fudo.

this is my tp set for SAM, optimized for subtle blow/meva over offence. with this even when i do get stunned I tend to resist enough to still be able to continue the sc

Again, not trying to tell everyone this is the comp they should be using, but was more just praising what a big difference the Prime GK made in my groups playstyle - it makes things possible we could not do before.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-23 15:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Liam said: »
Mumei > shoha > fudo

I know you are apparently doing fine, but mumei>mumei>Fudo should be better. WS wall is only -10% on first repeat of the same WS. I can't imagine 10% weaker mumei to be less damage than Shoha.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-01-23 16:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the stun effect still land if the attack does 0 damage? Wondering if Carol II + Shadow Ring/WC would provide enough mitigation to keep SCs going a bit more effectively
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2024-01-23 16:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Mumei > shoha > fudo

I know you are apparently doing fine, but mumei>mumei>Fudo should be better. WS wall is only -10% on first repeat of the same WS. I can't imagine 10% weaker mumei to be less damage than Shoha.

sounds good, i'll give it a whirl. thanks!
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-23 16:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Does the stun effect still land if the attack does 0 damage? Wondering if Carol II + Shadow Ring would provide enough mitigation to keep SCs going a bit more effectively

Yes it does. I take pretty much exclusively 0 dmg aside from the odd hit that goes thru Battuta on RUN, still get stunned.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-01-23 16:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You sing 6 times to apply 4 songs now in a party. If you do it other way, you do something wrong.

Where it shines is reapplying buffs after dispelga. Being able to reapply 3rd/4th songs(except HM) at full strength in a single cast instead of two might not seem like a big deal, but it's pretty clutch on fights like Arebati, Ngai, and Ongo.

It's just nice QoL and slightly higher stabbing/slashing uptime for the bard otherwise.

The catch is that any group that can get mesos for Stage 5 is probably done with the fights Lough would be most helpful for. It really feels like a kick in the pants that Duban is immediately useful after 20k muffins but Lough is just an Aria stick until you finish the whole pile.
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2024-01-23 16:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeble said: »
but Lough is just an Aria stick until you finish the whole pile

Nothing wrong with an aria stick lol
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-01-23 17:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeble said: »
but Lough is just an Aria stick until you finish the whole pile.
Just an Aria stick after >3,5m of Galli.
There, FTFY :-P
By SimonSes 2024-01-24 03:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

ammo={ name="Coiste Bodhar", augments={'Path: A',}},
head="Kasuga Kabuto +3",
body="Kasuga Domaru +3",
hands="Ken. Tekko +1",
legs="Kasuga Haidate +3",
feet="Ken. Sune-Ate +1",
neck={ name="Sam. Nodowa +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
waist="Sarissapho. Belt",
left_ear="Digni. Earring",
right_ear="Kasuga Earring +1",
left_ring="Chirich Ring +1",
right_ring="Niqmaddu Ring",

This set is way overcapped for Subtle Blow if you use Auspice from WHM. Even assuming your WHM mule only has Empy +2, you only need +23 in gear. Chirich and 2x Kenda is already more than enough, you can swap belt and earring to something better.

With +3 Auspice you could also stay with Dignitary earring and swap out Kenda hands to Nyame gloves, getting more meva (+22) and DEF/PDT. Ideally if you care mostly about SAM, you could just make path A Nyame hands, which would make this option even better.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-01-24 05:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Dispel and absorbs mean auspice might get poached mid battle. It's one thing if you have engaged sets that update with buff changes, but for less complex setups this is probably sufficient and safe.
 Valefor.Aspens
user: Aspens
By Valefor.Aspens 2024-01-24 07:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said:

Ideally if you care mostly about SAM, you could just make path A Nyame hands, which would make this option even better.

This isn't as cut and dry for sam compared to other jobs, where you could get away with swapping nyame B feet to A for drk you will want path B for jinpu/hybrids. The closest is probably mpaca head but empy+3 head is so good you probably wouldn't nyame A anyways
By SimonSes 2024-01-24 07:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Dispel and absorbs mean auspice might get poached mid battle. It's one thing if you have engaged sets that update with buff changes, but for less complex setups this is probably sufficient and safe.

I dont buy that. There is no point to use stuff that won't do anything for you UNLESS you get Auspice dispelled. E and G don't even dispel. H dispels with only one TP move and F dispels in wind mode, but for both H and F you will also use Asylum to prevent that. You can just make toggle for full SB macro if you want for that probably 1 per 20 Sortie runs, where you will get Auspice dispelled.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-24 07:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Aspens said: »
SimonSes said:

Ideally if you care mostly about SAM, you could just make path A Nyame hands, which would make this option even better.

This isn't as cut and dry for sam compared to other jobs, where you could get away with swapping nyame B feet to A for drk you will want path B for jinpu/hybrids. The closest is probably mpaca head but empy+3 head is so good you probably wouldn't nyame A anyways

Thats true, I forgot about hybrids. I guess using path B is also an option. 4-5%DA is worse than 4%TA obviously, but capped PDT and additional meva/def could be worth it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-01-24 08:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont buy that. There is no point to use stuff that won't do anything for you UNLESS you get Auspice dispelled. E and G don't even dispel. D dispels with only one TP move and F dispels in wind mode, but for both D and F you will also use Asylum to prevent that. You can just make toggle for full SB macro if you want for that probably 1 per 20 Sortie runs, where you will get Auspice dispelled.

Yeah except he's the only DD. If bad things happen to him, the run stops. He has to be safe and consistent.

I agree this isn't how I would do it. But for a setup that includes statements like too much TP feed and SAM onry DD, it's what makes sense. If anything he needs to replace the 2nd COR for a WAR that doesn't engage for Warcry.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-24 08:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah except he's the only DD. If bad things happen to him, the run stops. He has to be safe and consistent.

I agree this isn't how I would do it. But for a setup that includes statements like too much TP feed and SAM onry DD, it's what makes sense. If anything he needs to replace the 2nd COR for a WAR that doesn't engage for Warcry.

I mean, it works both ways. As only DD he also needs to kill it asap to get the most out of Yaegasumi and Asylum. Something that will make your setup better for 95% of your runs will also improve your consistency instead of being overprepared for that 5%.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-24 08:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say that unless there's a significant reason for it, having a 2nd dd who just sits out on Gartell if necessary is probably better than having a solo SAM for all 8 NMs and might enable you to fit more ***like an extra set of naakuals. Idk the climate of the group nor the reasons why they have to run a single DD for a non Animon setup but to me that's what makes the most sense.

For my group, having everyone engaged on everything makes sense however after this discourse we will probably experiment with having only myself engaged for just Gartell. That's usually how it ends up anyway so may as well cut out the middleman. Can still get Box Step on with just TP from Quick Draw.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-24 09:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Might as well wear 5/5 Nyame, in case protect gets dispelled. You want to have that extra defense, since he's the only DD and if he goes down, you're done. /s

I wouldn't prepare for scenarios where Auspice is stolen or dispelled, it's exceptionally rare, especially on a character with 25 buffs on.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-24 09:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If anything he needs to replace the 2nd COR for a WAR that doesn't engage for Warcry.

I was wondering about that myself.
What would be the best 6th job for this setup?
Warcry would be very powerful I guess, but would WAR really be the best? I guess it could work as backup in case SAM dies at low %

Also lets not forget, that doing things like that gives your GEO opportunity to MB nuke. It's not gonna be anything amazing, but it's gonna be for sure visible enough.

In theory, you could use two Geo and add Malaise and Focus and nuke on both.

I mostly thinking about doing this for boxing. It's much easier to engage with one char, than with 5. Three of my chars are also new and undergeared and even other two don't have access to high rank Nyame. My initial idea was to go with standard DRK WAR BRD COR WHM GEO and engage on first 4. WAR would be Naegling, until I grind stage 3 Gsword/Gaxe. This SAM idea is kinda cool though.
[+]
 Valefor.Aspens
user: Aspens
By Valefor.Aspens 2024-01-24 10:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I do 6 boss sam DD, but what's the 8 boss path look like? Not sure where I can shave off running time? Also skipping mid bosses maybe?

Mumei destroys aita, but have to do light on the other fights.

Back on topic my vote is for horn on which is most job changing, having PDL song now changes how I gear some WS sets.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-24 10:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I think DRK as a second job also works fine, or DNC. DRK can do absorbs to reduce its VIT/INT (I'm assuming they land), maybe even AGI since we're dealing with TP suppression here and dAGI is a thing. DNC can provide stronger steps and healing support w/ Reverse Flourish, Trance, Grand Pas.

I think Warcry is overvalued here since SAM hits 2-2.25k quickly especially since for most of the fight you'll be under Yaeg (which gives you TP) and if you're smart you're also pairing it with Meikyo for 750tp 3k WS w/ Meditate TP added to the Yaeg TP income. So I definitely wouldn't put a WAR in there as required or anything.

None of the other fights are hard enough to kill fast that discussing the second job even matters. Any two DDs that get TP easily and hit capped WS (most or all these days) works, especially when the benchmark is a second COR.