Which Prime Is Lining Up To Be Most Job Changing?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Which Prime is lining up to be most Job changing?
Which Prime is lining up to be most Job changing?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-22 16:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess it depends what your definition of job changing is. I try not to look at it as "allow you to clear content you couldn't previously clear" since all the content has already been cleared without them, so nothing would be considered job changing then. I think of it more like giving a significant advantage over existing options and IMO the shield does that.

It doesn't replace Aegis (nice game design) but it does mean that while facing primarily physical foes, you still gain nice MDT, Meva, and status resist. Anyone who's been playing FFXI for more than a month could probably point out that even largely-physical damage dealing mobs still apply debuffs and they still have magical attacks; many of them also cast spells. Some primarily-magic damage dealing mobs can also do quite a bit of physical damage, and Aegis can be pretty awful at blocking physical damage on high level targets.

This shield solves those problems, or at least provides relief for them. I think it strikes a nice balance of not totally invalidating all your other shields while at the same time providing a really nice boost in most situations. It's an incredible physical shield while also being a very, very good magic shield. This didn't really exist before and it's nice.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-22 16:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
My biggest gripe about Duban is that they didn't give it enough MDT II to make it so I never have to wear Aegis ever again.

It's close enough thought, that thing is amazballs.
 Shiva.Liam
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Liam 2024-01-22 16:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

GK is super helpful if you plan to keep doing sortie. Mumei has opened up 8 boss runs with Sam as solo dps/tank, that were not really feasible prior (at least for our comp which includes 2 mules/occasional trusts) I went stage 4 but you could keep it stage 3 just for that.

GS opens up some nice utility in ody v25, as you no longer have to worry about Torcleaver getting so walled, and you can use fimb instead of ground strike with savage for ws procs, so you are keeping dmg going during those times. every little helps in rng aura world!

Horn is def the MVP overall imo though.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-01-22 17:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think any of them are job changing.

So far, all of them are fun to play with. And at least comparable if not better than other REMA alternatives imo.

But there are no Yagrush's or Tizona's in this group. Except for maybe Aria from horn I guess.
[+]
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-01-22 18:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd argue the only real job changing one is the bow. As you can see here, there is a discussion going on about using the bow and enmity. This seems to be the only weapon that is having people consider approaching a fight differently or pressing different macros (Decoy Shot). Granted, it's pretty much an issue w/ any physical weapon on rng that doesn't have fixed enmity (Coronach), but still...
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-22 18:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Natsuhiko said: »
I'd argue the only real job changing one is the bow. As you can see here, there is a dicussion going on about using the bow and enmity. This seems to be the only weapon that is having people consider approaching a fight differently or pressing different macros (Decoy Shot). Granted, it's pretty much an issue w/ any physical weapon on rng that doesn't have fixed enmity (Coronach), but still...

Yeah Sarv is just stupid awesome, one of our guys got it and can just blow everything up with it. Feels good to see RNG with Bows again.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2024-01-22 19:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

didn't want to toot my own horn by bringing up what I chose....but ya. Sarv is the one thing RNG has been missing for years now since the days of SlugWinder ended.

...now to just figure out how to use it safely. ^^
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-22 19:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Live free or die hard
[+]
By Vaerix 2024-01-22 21:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Most Game Changing Prime = Stage 1/2 club, WHM will never sleep again... And if it does it's awake 3s later.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2024-01-22 22:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Vaerix said: »
Most Game Changing Prime = Stage 1/2 club, WHM will never sleep again... And if it does it's awake 3s later.
And this is why I will never upgrade the club past stage 2 on my WHM alt.
[+]
By K123 2024-01-23 04:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Liam said: »
GK is super helpful if you plan to keep doing sortie. Mumei has opened up 8 boss runs with Sam as solo dps/tank, that were not really feasible prior (at least for our comp which includes 2 mules/occasional trusts) I went stage 4 but you could keep it stage 3 just for that.

GS opens up some nice utility in ody v25, as you no longer have to worry about Torcleaver getting so walled, and you can use fimb instead of ground strike with savage for ws procs, so you are keeping dmg going during those times. every little helps in rng aura world!

Horn is def the MVP overall imo though.
How is SAM the 'solo DPS/tank' on F? If SAM was the only dedicated (not RDM COR BRD which are buffers/debuffers too) DD/tank you could take COR+BRD+RDM+GEO support but dying once would be really messy. Could this thoeretically work with WAR? I did G on WAR once but COR was meleeing and probably the RDM, but not the BRD.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-01-23 07:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zedoma said: »
And mine is it doesn't give us access to Uriel Blade or Flashaga.

These are nice dreams. I'm all for a campaign rework so I can use Uriel Blade.

On topic, +3 levels to BST and PUP with PDL AM is not something you're going to get elsewhere. Dagger makes it so you can take DNC anywhere you'd take a piercing job. Bow is broken if you play with people that actually want to use a RNG for non-savage blade related things. H2H gives a WS that scales with WSD for once. Polearm's 10% DA makes it so you can have better itemization for 103%DA on jumps if you so desire while still doing extremely high damage.

They made lots of good toys this round, but I don't think any of them are as bandwagon friendly as previous generations of REMA. They don't really change the power dynamics of the jobs because they are actually pretty well balanced right now.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-23 08:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
How is SAM the 'solo DPS/tank' on F? If SAM was the only dedicated (not RDM COR BRD which are buffers/debuffers too) DD/tank you could take COR+BRD+RDM+GEO support but dying once would be really messy. Could this thoeretically work with WAR? I did G on WAR once but COR was meleeing and probably the RDM, but not the BRD.

Thunder mode should be very easy with most likely Mumei>Mumei>Fudo back to back with Yaegasumi, overcuring, barthundra and maybe Carol? All WSs are probably cap damage with Yaegasumi+Aria and both Gravitation and Darkness will be doing tons of damage.

Now I'm not sure about wind mode. Gravitation won't be doing damage to Wind hand Gartell, so maybe something weird like Impulse>Mumei (with weapon switching) for Darkness?

I can see Wind mode being a problem. There is no good multistep SC I can think about, but on the other hand you need to kill it during Asylum or it can get very messy, so Im wondering myself how they handle that.
By Atrox78 2024-01-23 09:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing anyone has wrote is job changing. This is all just more dmg. Maybe you can say it's game changing for rng and drg cause they don't have to savage in zergs anymore but all they are is good dmg ws with interesting skillchain options.
By Atrox78 2024-01-23 09:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Atrox78 said: »
1. Shield does Shield stuff.
2. Horn plays a song.
3. Scythe is an HQ version of the relic scythe that allows you not to have to use entropy.

This is a huge oversimplification though. It's like saying Aegis isn't job changing because it "does shield stuff". The shield is the best physical shield while also being 2/3 of an aegis while also giving status resist and meva. It's by far and away the best shield you can use for most content and will improve your tanking results.

All horns "play a song". In optimal scenarios, this song increases WSD by tens of thousands of damage. You could say Marsyas "plays a song" but that's dramatically undervaluing what that song does. Aria is huge and really improves kill speeds and allows a lot of jobs to do much better damage.

Scythe is "just" relic scythe, except Origin does at least double, maybe 3x the damage of Catastrophe. The scythe also has a ton of other advantages over Apoc, it's not even remotely comparable; it's like an Apoc on crack, plus the MP advantages of being able to ride Schere and/or cast your other spells without having to waste TP on a terrible WS. Just like Apoc, it enables different styles of gameplay not previously available, and it (more or less) totally takes over Apoc's spot in the "I can't die" niche.

And nothing you wrote changes those jobs. As someone has already said, there are no yagrush or tizonas with Prime weapons. They are great dmg and that's it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-23 09:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Thunder mode should be very easy with most likely Mumei>Mumei>Fudo back to back with Yaegasumi, overcuring, barthundra and maybe Carol? All WSs are probably cap damage with Yaegasumi+Aria and both Gravitation and Darkness will be doing tons of damage.

Now I'm not sure about wind mode. Gravitation won't be doing damage to Wind hand Gartell, so maybe something weird like Impulse>Mumei (with weapon switching) for Darkness?

I can see Wind mode being a problem. There is no good multistep SC I can think about, but on the other hand you need to kill it during Asylum or it can get very messy, so Im wondering myself how they handle that.

Getting off a whole skillchain in Thunder mode is tough with how often he stuns. Solo DD without a kiter sounds rough.
By Atrox78 2024-01-23 09:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Getting off a whole skillchain in Thunder mode is tough with how often he stuns. Solo DD without a kiter sounds rough.

I concur and question it honestly. Maybe not just on F but doing 8 bosses with a sam solo dd in the first place (In a single run).
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-23 09:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I will say that there have been.... mishaps where I, as the SAM, end up fighting the entirety of Gartell's health bar with just the brd and the cor engaged with me as a result of the DRK being allowed to hit the floor before he can even do a single WS. I've gotten it as low as 15% this way but it's real hard to keep up because of the ramping DT/Damage Bonus on top of being stunned at least 50% of the time.

Is it possible? Probably. But I'd wonder how it's being done to make it consistent.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-23 09:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean if you're gonna call Yagrush job changing because it saves you time on debuff removal, you should consider "gives you a brand new spell which changes the buffs you use" job changing.

There are lots of Sheol mobs I can 1shot on BRD only with Aria. I have a much easier time 1shotting mobs in wave 2 dynamis with Aria than without. The ability to kill NIN, BST, PLD, THF mobs changes the way you play the job. You should choose different weapons in Sheol because of the ability to 1shot or not, changing the way you play the job.

Tizona gives MP back, changing the strats you can use with BLU. So does Foenaria. Sure, you could argue that Scythe already had Entropy, but that ignores the fact that (especially in situations where you can't SC) scythe has terrible damage compared to GS AND Entropy is terrible. So this opens up your ability to use Scythe, where before you basically couldn't do it without sacrificing damage (the whole reason your job exists). It changes the way you can play the job. It also provides the massive heals that are job-changing for how DRK plays. Sure, this already existed in Apoc but Apoc also does really terrible damage. The Scythe allows you to effectively play DRK in ways you couldn't (practically) otherwise.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-01-23 09:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I mean if you're gonna call Yagrush job changing because it saves you time on debuff removal, you should consider "gives you a brand new spell which changes the buffs you use" job changing.

Isn't that literally what I did?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-23 09:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Aria change the buffs you use? What else is changing other than replacing your lowest minuet with Aria?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-01-23 09:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sort of, Aria is most useful mainly only during soul voice in sortie, so you'll have a set of songs with aria for soul voice, and you drop aria when soul voice isn't up.

For Odyssey C, you can basically run full time Aria.

For Odyssey Gaol, I don't think you would use aria at all.
[+]
By Taint 2024-01-23 09:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Does Aria change the buffs you use? What else is changing other than replacing your lowest minuet with Aria?

You drop a min or mad depending on the mob and other buffs.

Its game changing when you can use the PDL especially for jobs that don't normally get a lot of PDL.
By SimonSes 2024-01-23 10:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use Asylum to stop stuns too right?
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-23 10:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

as a result of the DRK being allowed to hit the floor before he can even do a single WS.

Always Drain III an elemental on the way to Gartell :)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-23 10:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asylum doesn't block the stuns no. As far as I have seen there is no way to avoid getting Stunned and I haven't been able to see any actual difference in stun duration with higher resist either. Even with Tellus Pflug on RUN I get stunned for the whole duration, makes it very annoying to do Rayke and Gambit.

I haven't tried Perfect Defense but idk how you'd fit a SMN in there nor do I see it working when even Asylum doesn't.
By Taint 2024-01-23 10:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use Asylum to stop stuns too right?

Nope doesn't block the stun, Sacro blocks 1 though.

Meva def helps with duration.
By K123 2024-01-23 11:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Aria is hugely noticeable in Sheol C, but if you can do >60k WS anyway it doesn't really change the actual amount of damage you do or speed things up much.

Not sure how much it works on 4th floor or especially the Agon either, WHMs rarely dia2 things. I Dia2 all of the nms on last halo when on WHM.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2024-01-23 14:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Aria is hugely noticeable in Sheol C, but if you can do >60k WS anyway it doesn't really change the actual amount of damage you do or speed things up much.

Not sure how much it works on 4th floor or especially the Agon either, WHMs rarely dia2 things. I Dia2 all of the nms on last halo when on WHM.
Aria would be useful on enemies that can't consistently be 1-shot on the 4th floor, for speed. However, I've found Minne to be an incredibly safe option I'd probably opt for over Aria. Having DDs that can take more of a beating, especially when things go slightly sideways, does wonders for preventing a wipe and streamlining problems.

I'd still try Aria but I don't live in Sheol C anymore.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-01-23 14:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel Aria of Passion is quite a powerful and "job changing" thing to add to a Job's arsenal, so much more so than your weapon that "just" does more damage, if at all.

At the same time though I don't think I can put it on the same level as Honor March.
HM was quite incredible in the way it allowed you to skip one march for one other song, and frankly it was pretty good in general for all physical damage.

Aria of Passion is incredibly good but I feel it makes a difference in a smaller amount of situations compared to HM.
You need to be not just att capped, but way above the cap, and this one thing a lot of people don't consider, thinking Aria is enough at "att cap". It's not.
Furthermore, it needs to be a content where you're not already doing 99k damage with your WS, because if you are then Aria doesn't really change anything.

So I dunno, Aria is truly powerful, making Laughnashade one of the most useful Prime (if not THE) and not just for Aria, but for everything else too. At the same time though I feel like Marsyas felt more important.