users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Fallout 4
Fallout 4
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 21 22 23
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-15 11:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Boris released his stability patch for Fallout 4. I recommend giving it a go if you're having CTD or performance problems.

Oh, Bethesda and their CTD's... I swear, every Bethesda game I've ever played does that. You'd think they would give Boris a job.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-15 15:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
You'd think they would give Boris a job
This is only for people who use ENB, or is it in general? I haven't had any real crashes from configuration but I don't see how Boris is going to fix that Cambridge stuff that probably has to do with combinations of quest stages.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-15 15:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ENBoost increases the amount of VRAM available to FO4 (in addition to adding a system RAM buffer to prevent crashing) in addition to various other performance and stability fixes. If your problem is a quest bug, obviously that won't be fixed until Bethesda actually releases a patch, but a majority of CTDs will be fixed by this.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-15 16:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

ENBoost increases the amount of VRAM available to FO4 (in addition to adding a system RAM buffer to prevent crashing) in addition to various other performance and stability fixes. If your problem is a quest bug, obviously that won't be fixed until Bethesda actually releases a patch, but a majority of CTDs will be fixed by this.
I'm a bit light on tech knowledge, would extra VRAM help with small dips in frame rate like, when I'm looking over the water or something?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-15 16:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

probably not since if youre overbuffering vram the game will just crash because Bethesda. all this will do is prevent FO4 from running out of memory thus stopping it from crashing. what might fix framerate for water/lighting is the Fake Lighting fix which removes several transparent and superfluous light sources.

biggest thing you can do for framerate is remove godrays and turn shadow distance down to medium. because Bethesda.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-15 16:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

. because Bethesda.
Thanks. I have a good card and plenty of RAM so I'm not having memory issues, but I don't know much about the offerings from ENB so I wanted to ask.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-11-15 16:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Or... you could play it on console and not have any problems whatsoever!!

/traipse
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-15 16:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
. because Bethesda.
Thanks. I have a good card and plenty of RAM so I'm not having memory issues, but I don't know much about the offerings from ENB so I wanted to ask.

It's not a physical memory issue, it's the amount of memory F04 sets aside for it's loaded assets. A lot of games have similar issues, having say 1GB allotted when you have 2GB physical memory available. So, the load exceeds the 1GB and the game can't load anything else and crashes. Many games give you the option of allotting more vram as a configuration, others you can use a batch file to set the parameters.

That's the cliff's notes version.

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Or... you could play it on console and not have any problems whatsoever!!

/traipse

Assuming they do extend mods to consoles, there might be less drawbacks to using them. However, if you have a truly powerful gaming rig, being able to upgrade your textures and lighting, increase render distance and shadow quality, change low quality frames to more detailed ones, etc, will absolutely ***all over the console experience.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-11-15 17:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

All I have to do is throw the disk in the console and I'm playing the game. I don't have to adjust with shadows and stuff because it's already set. I'm not the kind of person who nuts himself over the tiny visual difference. The graphics are cool and all, but I'm enjoying the game without having to go and buy new hardware every time a new game comes out. 60 bucks for the game and I'm off and running.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-15 17:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My biggest problem with the console version is the instability in framerate. going sub-20 in so many places is unacceptable, 30 with such a restrictive FoV is already low and borderline headache inducing.

Plus, you don't need new hardware every time a new game comes out. You can run any game at superior-to-console settings with a $500 PC that will last as long as or longer than the lifecycle of a PS4 or Xbone (AND you'll be able to play next-next-gen and previous gen games on it without any issues). The only advantage consoles have is PnP and that's slowly being removed as console manufacturers make them more and more of a pain in the ***.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-15 17:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

All I have to do is throw the disk in the console and I'm playing the game. I don't have to adjust with shadows and stuff because it's already set. I'm not the kind of person who nuts himself over the tiny visual difference. The graphics are cool and all, but I'm enjoying the game without having to go and buy new hardware every time a new game comes out. 60 bucks for the game and I'm off and running.

The whole upgrading hardware everytime a new game comes out is pretty misleading. If you built a decent rig 5 years ago, you can probably still play just about anything on max settings.

The convenience of throwing in a disc and playing is a definite advantage for consoles, and a lot of UI's are optimized for controllers even if there is a PC version. So, yeah, there are definite reasons to play on console. But, the differences between a maxed out modded PC game and a console game are not minor by any stretch of the imagination. 1080/30fps for consoles and 4K/120fps for a decent gaming rig, couple it with double or triple the render distance, post process lighting, upgraded physics, super high polygon models, etc etc etc.

Just look at the difference between PS3 Skyrim and heavy visual mod PC Skyrim. They look like they were made 10 years apart.
[+]
By Ackeron 2015-11-15 17:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate how this settlement management is thrown on to you. I just want to go marching around the wasteland putting bullets in brains and spending caps on more bullets.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-15 17:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ackeron said: »
I hate how this settlement management is thrown on to you. I just want to go marching around the wasteland putting bullets in brains and spending caps on more bullets.
It only seems to really be forced for the beginning of the Minutemen quests. I just had to do it for a faction quest, but I only needed to build a couple turrets. I'm glad it isn't winding up being "build an entire settlement every quest or so."

Edit: I DO wish there were more towns that Bethesda didn't depend on me to make.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-15 18:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

. I don't have to adjust with shadows and stuff because it's already set.
this is like 90% of my enjoyment with PC games. Tweaking files and settings to get the best performance possible from my hardware is hugely rewarding for me. I will admit though that my video card costs more than a new console.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-15 18:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming they do extend mods to consoles, there might be less drawbacks to using them. However, if you have a truly powerful gaming rig, being able to upgrade your textures and lighting, increase render distance and shadow quality, change low quality frames to more detailed ones, etc, will absolutely ***all over the console experience.

Its not an assumption, both Xbox One and PS4 will be getting mod support next year, after PC.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-15 18:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

Its not an assumption, both Xbox One and PS4 will be getting mod support next year, after PC.

They'll get a creation kit, sure, but will they have access to true 3rd party mods or just user-made stuff? Will they be able to download high res textures? Will they be limited to a Bethesda or console manufacturer's store that says what mods they're going to allow?

I honestly foresee any console based mod kit being basically forge mode or something like mario maker. Even before the creation kit for Skyrim, there were massively complex mods built for Morrowind and Oblivion as well as Skyrim's early mods. Heck, there's already a few dozen mods for FO4 and it's less than a week old.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-15 21:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a quick comparison of PC mod texture quality vs standard blurfest textures.

The leather and cloth on the arms/hand are standard res textures (no mods available yet), but the pipboy is running a 2K texture mod.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-15 22:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait for full 4K textures. I love the attention to detail a lot of texture modders have. The chips in the paint and corrosion. Even the screwdriver marks on the screw heads.

I just want to add, I get that maximum fidelity isn't a concern for a lot of people, and I don't mean to put down people who prefer consoles. But the difference in what you can get with a mod friendly Bethesda game on pc is very noticeable.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-16 07:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Climbed a conveyor to get into a duffle bag last night at a dig site and a legendary mole rat attacked me, startling me so bad I slipped off the conveyer belt and died.

It was awesome.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-16 07:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a fun night playing Fallout, found a dump site with loads of mole rats that had a sniper rifle hiding inside, I then found and killed the legendary Jackal, followed by sniping a red spot on a Super Mutant's hand which turned out to be an explosive.

Which made sense when I collected the spoils and his name was "Suicider Super Mutant"

EDIT: Sorry, Legendary Mongrel, I'm clearly getting MGS and Fallout mixed up.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-16 08:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I also came across a legendary Feral Ghoul in/around (Lexington? It was pretty late last night, so maybe elsewhere, I forget) and the legendary ghoul had an entire family of other "named" ghouls with it like "Mrs. Rosa, Ms. Parks, Mr. Smith."

Very odd.

But they're all dead now.

Oddly -- and somewhat irritatingly -- every legendary I've killed so far has dropped right arm armor.

Though I kinda can't wait for some visual mods to become available, because I've got to be honest. Power Armor looks pretty great, but a lot of the leather/metal armor right now looks like complete and utter *** and I hate it. And there was a minor flaw in my initial character that was irritating me, so I rerolled to fix appearance and now I can't even find another greaser outfit, which is irritating me. I was digging the leather jacket and jeans vibe.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-16 08:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
"Mrs. Rosa, Ms. Parks, Mr. Smith."
it's one of those random events. I don't know the significance, but I've seen them in more than one place. I saw them in a house by the corvega factory and then again by trinity tower much later on.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-16 08:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
Ramyrez said: »
"Mrs. Rosa, Ms. Parks, Mr. Smith."
it's one of those random events. I don't know the significance, but I've seen them in more than one place. I saw them in a house by the corvega factory and then again by trinity tower much later on.

Speaking of the Corvega factory, that reminds me.

Anyone else super-hate the spotlight mechanics? Not like "they're making the game bad," but from the actual game immersion standpoint. They make sense from a tactical gameplay angle and they're a nice touch, but jesus. Not only are they irritating to deal with when enemies use them tactically, their sounds are grating too.

I've upgraded some other weapons but my 10mm stays handy just so I can shoot out every light I see. -.-;
[+]
By Ackeron 2015-11-16 14:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Some pretty creeptastic moments in this game.

2 Locations I've found to be creepy.

Pretty creepy stuff lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-11-16 15:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So, my brother went out to be an idiot and got me this for my b-day, even though I said no...and.....

Gave it a go,...not gonna lie, it's pretty brilliant.

Quick question though, does the game get to the point, besides of course the Power Armor, where a suit of armor/clothing is better than the arm/shin-pad and breastplate get up?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-16 15:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-16 18:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
So, my brother went out to be an idiot and got me this for my b-day, even though I said no...and.....

Gave it a go,...not gonna lie, it's pretty brilliant.

Quick question though, does the game get to the point, besides of course the Power Armor, where a suit of armor/clothing is better than the arm/shin-pad and breastplate get up?

For raw stats MAYBE. But with armor mods and legendary affixes the pieced out style will win out as far as I am concerned.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-16 19:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
legendary affixes
this is really what differentiates piecemeal from power armor, as near as I can tell.

Also, in this game, unlike previous entries, the power armor and regular armor actually feel completely different, even without power armor mods a la Powered Power Armor. There are offerings you just cant get, as far as I've seen, for regular armor that you can get from power armor(Jetpacks and radiation scrubbers are what immediately come to mind). I only have one piece of power armor with a special affix and I got that from a quest.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-11-16 22:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-16 23:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm waiting for a few more patch's and bug fixes to be released before I play FO4.

There is absolutely no comparison between my main PC and a console, over an order of magnitude more in hardware expenses. I get my moneys worth in pure visual experience.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 21 22 23