Pope: Not To Share Wealth With Poor Is To Steal

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Pope: Not to share wealth with poor is to steal
Pope: Not to share wealth with poor is to steal
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-28 10:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
'Not to share wealth with poor is to steal': Pope slams capitalism as 'new tyranny'

Pope Francis has taken aim at capitalism as "a new tyranny" and is urging world leaders to step up their efforts against poverty and inequality, saying "thou shall not kill" the economy. Francis calls on rich people to share their wealth.

The existing financial system that fuels the unequal distribution of wealth and violence must be changed, the Pope warned.

"How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?" Pope Francis asked an audience at the Vatican.

The global economic crisis, which has gripped much of Europe and America, has the Pope asking how countries can function, or realize their full economic potential, if they are weighed down by the debts of capitalism.

“A new tyranny is thus born, invisible and often virtual, which unilaterally and relentlessly imposes its own laws and rules,” the 84-page document, known as an apostolic exhortation, said.

"To all this we can add widespread corruption and self-serving tax evasion, which has taken on worldwide dimensions. The thirst for power and possessions knows no limits", the pope’s document says.

He goes on to explain that in this system, which tends to devour everything which stands in the way of increased profits, whatever is fragile, like the environment, is defenseless before the interests of a deified market, which has become the only rule we live by.

Shameful wealth

Inequality between the rich and the poor has reached a new threshold, and in his apostolic exhortation to mark the end of the “Year of Faith”, Pope Francis asks for better politicians to heal the scars capitalism made on society.

"Just as the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill' sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say 'thou shalt not' to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills," Francis wrote in the document issued Tuesday.

His calls to service go beyond general good Samaritan deeds, as he asks his followers for action “beyond a simple welfare mentality".

"I beg the Lord to grant us more politicians who are genuinely disturbed by the state of society, the people, the lives of the poor,” Francis wrote.

A recent IRS report shows that the wealth of the US’s richest 1 percent has grown by 31 percent, while the rest of the population experienced an income rise of only 1 percent.

The most recent Oxfam data shows that up to 146 million Europeans are at risk of falling into poverty by 2025 and 50 million Americans are currently suffering from severe financial hardship.

"As long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation, and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world's problems or, for that matter, to any problems," he wrote.

Named after the medieval saint who chose a life of poverty, Pope Francis has gone beyond general calls for fair work, education, and healthcare.

Newly-elected Pope Francis has stepped up the fight against corrupt capitalism that has hit close to home - he was the first Pope to go after the Vatican bank and openly accused it of fraud and shady offshore tax haven deals.

In October, Pope Francis removed Vatican bank head Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, after revelations of alleged mafia money laundering and financial impropriety.

Source
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Though shall not put false hope into a Pope !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 11:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Pope Francis has taken aim at capitalism as "a new tyranny" and is urging world leaders to step up their efforts against poverty and inequality, saying "thou shall not kill" the economy. Francis calls on rich people to share their wealth.
That's not a solution. We already share our wealth far more than he does. What more does he want?

I mean, we could take our tithes from the church away and give it to homeless shelters (those who actually go to church that is).

If he wants to promote income equality, then he should promote policies that, you know, increase jobs and increase wages, not by asking for a more dependent class. That's promoting more income inequality...

Unfortunately, there will be people swayed by this idiot...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

When was the last time the Pope knew anything about economics ?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

While on one level I agree with what he's saying, it needs to be taken with a serious grain of salt coming from the same guy who is living in a city-state built with the wealth of "tithing" nations over the course of centuries, and who says that not having children is selfish, yet stays celibate himself and supports a religion that won't allow its clergy to marry or have children of their own.

I want to like many of this Pope's words, but I feel so often that they ring hollow, and he's only progressive as he has to be in order to maintain believers and draw in as many as possible with a slight modernization of the church.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
When was the last time the Pope knew anything about economics ?

You'd probably be surprised.

The Pope is a world leader. A very influential one. Every word he speaks publically is calculated to best serve the Roman Catholic Church.
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You can help people without "sharing the wealth". I know it is a foreign concept but it is true !
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You can help people without "sharing the wealth". I know it is a foreign concept but it is true !

"Why not both?"

But seriously, that's almost a red herring here and is easy to turn this into yet another boring discussion about income equality; it's not the point. The hypocrisy of the Catholic Church telling anyone to be generous or giving is...laughable. This is the same church that worked to deny people various pleasures in life for centuries because they were "too good" or "too indulgent"...all the while the church higher ups and nobility enjoyed the ***out of them.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be like Bill Gates saying hey you guys in Africa you'll get Microsoft stock (at a discounted price). Hell with providing clean water and ways to farm. Let's just give you some stock in Microsoft.

I do realize Bill Gates does help people in Africa but it doesn't seem genuine to me. It is like he feels guilty for being a billionaire.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I do realize Bill Gates does help people in Africa but it doesn't seem genuine to me. It is like he feels guilty for being a billionaire.

Really? He seems among the more genuine to me. And a great example of how to be generous and helpful without just "giving away money", which is irresponsible on many levels. If more rich people acted like him -- whatever their impetus, be it charitable feelings, guilt, faith, whatever -- we'd be in a better place.
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know I can't shake the image of Bill Gates of being a *** even with all the good he has done.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 11:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »

"Why not both?"

But seriously, that's almost a red herring here and is easy to turn this into yet another boring discussion about income equality; it's not the point. The hypocrisy of the Catholic Church telling anyone to be generous or giving is...laughable. This is the same church that worked to deny people various pleasures in life for centuries because they were "too good" or "too indulgent"...all the while the church higher ups and nobility enjoyed the ***out of them.
I don't think it matters what happened centuries ago, I think it matters what happens today.

Now, if the same events from over a hundred years ago are continuing today, then you would have a point.

The pope is going after the wrong thing. If he wants the world to be more equal in terms of income distribution, he shouldn't be asking for more inequality through a dependent class on such welfare. He should tell the wealthy to invest more in domestic affairs or everyone to buy more domestic goods.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-28 11:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, I can't take anything that comes from an eighty year old virgin seriously.

If he's that concerned with the plight of the poor, he has plenty he can give up as an example before he tells everyone else they're sinners.
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well Obama is my Pope so I take his word as "religion"

He just does his "preaching" without thou shall not this and thou shall not that.
By Jetackuu 2015-04-28 11:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:
That's not a solution. We already share our wealth far more than he does. What more does he want?

I mean, we could take our tithes from the church away and give it to homeless shelters (those who actually go to church that is).

If he wants to promote income equality, then he should promote policies that, you know, increase jobs and increase wages, not by asking for a more dependent class. That's promoting more income inequality...

Can you Reaganomics any harder?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-04-28 11:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Its nice to see a religious figure actually preaching in line with the faith, if there's anything I despise more than ridiculous ideals, it's people who claim them and do the opposite.

The question is: when religious allegiance and political allegiance are at odds, which will people choose?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The way Hillary is running her campaign you would think she is trying to be the next Pope.

Lay your hands upon her and you too shall be healed !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
I'm sorry, I can't take anything that comes from an eighty year old virgin seriously.

If he's that concerned with the plight of the poor, he has plenty he can give up as an example before he tells everyone else they're sinners.

What should he be doing donating tomato soup to the local homeless shelters ?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't take anything that comes from an eighty year old virgin seriously.

Bwahahahahahaha.

That's rich. (figuratively and literally)
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2015-04-28 11:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know I can't shake the image of Bill Gates of being a *** even with all the good he has done.

Honestly, seems more like it's your own problem than something with Gates.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The real kicker is when you help poor people how are they going to pay you ?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Quote:

You guys are taking the red herring!
By fonewear 2015-04-28 11:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »

I admit I have an irrational hatred towards Bill Gates. If I was a woman it would be acceptable !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 11:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Quote:

Obamanomics is certainly the answer, isn't it.

How's that going for you again? High unemployment, larger income inequality, low to stagnate real GDP growth, not to mention all of the social issues that arises from all this also.

You certainly are living the dream world. So, how long are you going to live in this misery before you admit that your wrong?
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-28 11:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't hurt.

It would certainly be better than preaching the virtues of poverty whilst wearing clothing that costs enough to feed a family for a fairly long time.

For someone who's claiming that capitalism should be added to the long list of Thou Shalt Nots, he certainly benefits from it enough.

That's my issue with religions- they do not practice what they preach.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-28 11:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »

I admit I have an irrational hatred towards Bill Gates. If I was a woman it would be acceptable !

Can you possibly hate women anymore than you do?
[+]
Guide Maker
By Seha 2015-04-28 11:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Good job Pope, words full of hypocrisy.

I live in this country, here where priests and their like can be under constant supervision of the Vatican. And it's full of insane corruption. Most of these guys hoards loads of money and live like kings, some even take money from the people they're supposedely helping, no signs of charity in sight. The ones in the military are even worse, having general rank with appropriate salary just for being the squadron's voice of God.

All this ignoring the constant sexual abuse that goes on behind their doors and that is consistently swept under the rug because you shan't soil their holy name. Consistently being key word here, it's not one or two bad apples, these things happen a lot and are always covered up. There's a tv program here that has made countless reportages about it and you can hear from the priests themselves how they "deal" with this stuff. Nothing ever happened.

/rant
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

In fairness, the Catholic Church does do a lot of good. They run many homeless shelters, low-cost/free healthcare, and, food pantries, and other services.

I just find it hypocritical trying to dictate charity given the church's past.

He may sway me yet. Like I said, I want to believe the things he says, he says from the heart in an effort to change the church for the better.

I'm just very, very skeptical.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 11:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Seha said: »
it's not one or two bad apples, these things happen a lot and are always covered up

Didn't he recently "accept" (force) the resignation of an archbishop or some such for covering up a major case of abuse?

It's barely a start, but it's something. Hopefully he grows on that.

Like I said, even not being a believer in the Almighty, I want to believe he can use the faith to do good things the way the religion teaches, despite the fact the church hasn't practiced it nearly enough in years past.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-28 11:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering the long, long history of the Catholic Church and its transgressions in the name of God, I refuse to trust their leaders.

I am aware that there are those who do great good in the name of that Church. They're better people than I am, to be sure.

I just can't support a group who's tried to systematically eliminate or absorb every other faith it has encountered since the dawn of its inception.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8