Pope: Not To Share Wealth With Poor Is To Steal

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Pope: Not to share wealth with poor is to steal
Pope: Not to share wealth with poor is to steal
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By fonewear 2015-04-28 12:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
I just can't support a group who's tried to systematically eliminate or absorb every other faith it has encountered since the dawn of its inception.

They all do that. Their methods just vary, and doublespeak runs rampant for some.

Hence why I do not practice organized religion!

What about disorganized religion !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 12:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
He has repeatedly left the Vatican at night to feed and serve the poop in the surrounding areas in Rome.
So that's why the church stinks in the morning!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 12:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
He has repeatedly left the Vatican at night to feed and serve the poop in the surrounding areas in Rome.
So that's why the church stinks in the morning!

A big stupid poo poo head !
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 12:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This Pope has radically changed the Catholic Church since he was elected. Starting with his choosing his papal name of Francsis, he showed he would be focusing on servitude and simplicity. He opted to not live in the traditional Papal Housing, but in a guest residence in the Vatican, and when he walked out on the balcony after his election, he refused to wear the traditional Papal attire, and went with a simple white dressing. He has begun changing the Vatican Bank to be up to date with global banking standards, in an effort to be both more transparent and help eliminate corruption. He himself will officiate marriage ceremonies. This guy is different. He genuinely wants to clean up the Catholic Churches act and bring more followers in.

:s

You sound quite....sure of yourself here. Are you the Pope? Otherwise this is a mixture of a few facts and a lot more speculation.

Other than the last line stating he genuinely wants to change and bring people in, what part of what I said is speculative. It is a known fact that the Papal name that the elected Cardinal chooses will be an immediate display of what the new Popes direction will be. It is a fax he came out in just a plain white dressing. He has repeatedly left the Vatican at night to feed and serve the poop in the surrounding areas in Rome. He has chosen a small group of Cardinals from outside of the Vatican to essentially write a new "Roman Catholic Constitution". He created a new office to oversee changes to the Vatican banking to get it to international standards, which has irritated many of the older cardinals.

They're all really nice sentiments.

It's just very, very difficult for some of us to believe they're genuine, and not just contrived for the purpose of "steering" the church into being more palateable for a younger generation.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-04-28 12:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Oops. Lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-28 13:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I just can't support a group who's tried to systematically eliminate or absorb every other faith it has encountered since the dawn of its inception.

They all do that. Their methods just vary, and doublespeak runs rampant for some.

Hence why I do not practice organized religion!

What about disorganized religion !

Disorganized as in anarchic or disorganized as in "Let's run around naked and rub blue mud into our navels"?

I practice no religion, honestly.
By fonewear 2015-04-28 13:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even Obama/Hillary religion ?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-28 13:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
People try to push and force others to believe the same way that they do all the time. Why is it only a problem when it's done in the name of religion?

It is a problem because such thinking leads to violence, cults and groupthink. See: Tumblr feminism, fandoms, casual/hardcore etc. It's zealotry and dogmatic adherence that does little than seed eternal conflict.

Because religion (the ones that play here in the West) ascribes to having access to the sole means of being moral which seeps into every aspect of society left unchecked, it becomes a major a problem when people believe that entire groups of people are less than because they aren't X faith.

Both scenarios stem from the same problem (dogmatic adherences) but Western religious texts are so rife with violence between its life lessons that it lends itself to churning out that type of person. That and the whole apocalyptic theme.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-28 13:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even Obama/Hillary religion ?

Nope!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 13:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there is always alcohol that is my religion !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 13:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Because religion (the ones that play here in the West) ascribes to having access to the sole means of being moral which seeps into every aspect of society left unchecked, it becomes a major a problem when people believe that entire groups of people are less than because they aren't X faith.
It's not just a western idea. The Middle East has an even stronger bias than that, one that will kill people because you aren't in their faith.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-28 13:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not just a western idea. The Middle East has an even stronger bias than that, one that will kill people because you aren't in their faith.

The major religions of the West are Christianity, Islam and Judaism >_>

Many Eastern religions are pluralistic and allow you to mix/match. Shamanistic faiths have taken what missionaries say about Jesus and woven it into their belief systems.

Monotheistic faiths demand you choose one and follow it. Or else.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-28 13:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile in Syria !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-28 13:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile in Syria !

Assad is shouting for a group to clear Shark delve. Offering not to shell his own people if he gets the 5/5 clear. Really needs a Tsurumaru.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-28 13:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm coming BLU or they can all die in their holy fire.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 13:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The major religions of the West are Christianity, Islam and Judaism >_>

Many Eastern religions are pluralistic and allow you to mix/match. Shamanistic faiths have taken what missionaries say about Jesus and woven it into their belief systems.

Monotheistic faiths demand you choose one and follow it. Or else.
Islam is an Eastern religion if you go by origins.

If you mean the most populated, then you would have a point, but according to your post, it made it sound like you were basing the religions on origin.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-28 13:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I said the ones at play in the West. Which mean the 3 monotheistic faiths. Europe isn't losing its *** over Hinduism last I checked.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-28 13:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Now if you gents excuse me, I'll be offering half an uneaten sandwich to my lord and savior, Christopher Hitchens.

Saint Dawkins, Saint Jilette and Saint Hirsi-Ali all have their holy days but today is not that day.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 13:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he meant it as in "Abrahamic religions", of which Islam is one. They really can't be pulled apart too far at this time. Rejecting Islam as an "Eastern" religion is really just kinda trying to distance it from the "more acccepted" related Western religions of Judaism and Christianity.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-04-28 13:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, no. Islam is a Western religion without question. It's derived from the same stories and in the same region as Judaism and Christianity. They share much of the same religious texts, even.

Calling Islam an Eastern religion is a pretty sad attempt to set it aside from it's more 'Murican nestlings.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-28 13:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all good, we've got American Christianity already, it's called Mormonism.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 13:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he meant it as in "Abrahamic religions", of which Islam is one. They really can't be pulled apart too far at this time. Rejecting Islam as an "Eastern" religion is really just kinda trying to distance it from the "more acccepted" related Western religions of Judaism and Christianity.
If you are going by that, then I can see his point.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 13:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all good, we've got American Christianity already, it's called Mormonism.

Ugh.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2015-04-28 13:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When was the last time the Pope knew anything about economics ?

You'd probably be surprised.

The Pope is a world leader. A very influential one. Every word he speaks publically is calculated to best serve the Roman Catholic Church.

Well, he is just the Pope, and we are mighty and all-knowing *** on the internet.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-28 13:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just very, very difficult for some of us to believe they're genuine, and not just contrived for the purpose of "steering" the church into being more palateable for a younger generation.
Even if it is just to steer others towards the church its still been pretty significant. The church has been staunchly conservative for, well, forever and to have the leader of the organization take some of the steps he has is a big step in the right direction.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-28 13:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

Even if it is just to steer others towards the church its still been pretty significant. The church has been staunchly conservative for, well, forever and to have the leader of the organization take some of the steps he has is a big step in the right direction.

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind it's significant shift, regardless of the impetus.

But -- for me, at least (not that I matter in the grand scheme) -- intent is very important. If it's a genuine push to guide the church in the direction in should be going -- that is, following the actual teachings of Christ and not the trappings of religious power -- I highly support these moves and actions.

But if it's just the church trimming the sails in a response to a change in the wind so that they can maintain their relevance as one of the world's premier religious powers?

Disappointing, to say the least. While I've forgone the church's dogma, I've not given up the good people I know are there, and it would be good to see their faith rewarded in practice, and not just some questionable "holy" sense.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-04-28 13:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, I can't take anything that comes from an eighty year old virgin seriously.

If he's that concerned with the plight of the poor, he has plenty he can give up as an example before he tells everyone else they're sinners.
Pretty sure none of them are virgin. It's pretty hard to believe that they've never buttfucked each other.

The point isn't really him, the point is just what he's talking about. If he suddenly gave away the Vatican's wealth, so what? It wouldn't have a big impact, it'd be a pretty moderate one. The point is to motivate the other rich people through faith. However, and I think he/they know that, being rich and having faith like the average human being are incompatible for the huge majority of them. The reason being that someone who isn't rich has the needed empathy to help someone who's either poorer or just as poor. Most rich people, whether they built it themselves or not lose this empathy. Some rich people will retain it, but they're mostly very clumsy when they act on it.
And then you have people who inherit said wealth, those people are like monarchy centuries ago, they're living in a different world.

And for those who have no faith, his words are even more useless. I don't remember the church having any proper impact in the past centuries when it came to sharing wealth, I don't know what kind of impact he expects nowadays when Christianity is seen as a SF work by most humans.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-28 14:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

But if it's just the church trimming the sails in a response to a change in the wind so that they can maintain their relevance as one of the world's premier religious powers?
Some of his moves have been pretty unpopular within the church itself so I doubt it's sole purpose is this.

Who knows though...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-28 14:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Pretty sure none of them are virgin.
Probably mostly true...

It's pretty hard to believe that they've never buttfucked each other.
Not so hard to believe that they haven't.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-28 14:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Most rich people, whether they built it themselves or not lose this empathy.
Talk about a biased observation.

Tell me this: Who in your mind contributes the most to charity? Is it the wealthy or is it the poor?

Who is charity really benefiting also, the rich or the poor?
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8